Ended
Watch

Fly

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    L
    Lina Moretti

For a minute or so after Blackbird's detailed answer, the Sheriff remained still, obviously thinking about her choices. Van Valen was a no brainer. The man was brilliant. Davis? He'd fallen, but he was getting up. Moretti figured she would have to test him soon to determine just how dangerous the gunslinger actually was - but his reputation was one of a crack shot, and so he was a good selection as a physical enforcer to back up the other skill sets.

Cohen, on the other hand, was completely unknown to her. The humane serenity of her Coil-freed features softened as she considered the new information about the Ventrue. A returner, that she had heard - but the Carthian Movement was known for its connections. It seemed to her that Blackbird's overarching strategy was one of control and influence, with just enough physical backing to make sure her team didn't get murdered.

That was the right way to go, about 90% of the time.

The other 10% called for the goon squad, which meant calling on the Prince and her enforcers.

"Your strategic assessment as a general concept is good, and I actually like your choices. I also like that you can see the value in Davis beyond his social faux-pas. I've seen plenty of people shit the bed socially and work their way out physically. Indeed, this is what I expect he will do, too. Van Valen is an obvious strong choice. The addition of Cohen, I like. Carthians are underutilized, and for each Kindred, there must be a place. Everyone earns their keep, somehow."

She smiled.

"This is not a recruitment moment. I will ask, however - you are Unaligned. Your priority is thus to yourself and your Clan, as well as your Domain. But Covenants add complexity. Do you have any intentions at this time of joining a Covenant, and if so, which one?"

Public Identity: Lisbeth "Beth" Graham
    Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Allies
    (Criminals)
    Contacts
    (Criminals, Academia)
    Barfly
    New Identity
    (Lisbeth Graham)
    Blackbird

Daeva Curse - Glutton for Praise:
    Blackbird's ego often gets her into trouble. If someone offers Blackbird praise or compliments regarding her abilities when attempting to recruit her for a task, she finds the request quite difficult to refuse, even if such an action might be particularly dangerous to her well being.

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Blackbird couldn't help but allow a light giggle to escape her lips as Moretti spoke of how some "shit the bed". Her Priscus' lack of formality caught the neonate off guard at times, but, minding herself, Blackbird cleared her throat and returned to her contented, smirking visage.

"It's a fair question, Sheriff," she said in some slight assurance, "Naturally, I have come to see the appeal of Covenants over the years. Under Michel I simply wasn't permitted to pursue them. I'll admit that joining the Invictus is appealing. I feel I've shown an appropriate level of formality and adherence to etiquette for at least the most basic consideration. Further, I find their approach to the governing of Kindred to be appealing. On the other hand, the freedom to pursue a Change within myself is also appealing and, perhaps, a source for more long term gain. Assuming my journey doesn't end in peril. Such pursuits have an inherent danger after all, often more so than the game of Kindred politics. Hence my hesitance."

L
    Lina Moretti

"Like I said, this here is not a recruitment pitch. In either case, you would be advancing yourself positively. I know how the Dragons and the First Estate here run," she said, obviously fine with what she had disclosed. Lina liked Invictus Praxis. It made it much easier for them to do what they had to do, particularly when the Invictus benefited from their support, knowledge and assistance. "If you have questions about the Ordo Dracul, that is a topic for another time."

Tonight was about rewarding her for good deeds thus far and deciding if it was time for her career to advance on her merits, not about swelling the Secret Estate's numbers.

"Yet you speak of concern about peril - but you have an interest in one of the most perilous positions a Domain has to offer. Deputy Sheriffs live and die by their wits, their wiles and their skills. Reconcile this concern for peril against that interest, please."

Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Allies
    (Criminals)
    Contacts
    (Criminals, Academia)
    Barfly
    New Identity
    (Lisbeth Graham)
    Blackbird

Blackbird's ego often gets her into trouble. If someone offers Blackbird praise or compliments regarding her abilities when attempting to recruit her for a task, she finds the request quite difficult to refuse, even if such an action might be particularly dangerous to her well being.

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

"I understand," Blackbird said, her tone even and clear.

To Lina's question regarding Blackbird's concern of peril the neonate would first smile.

"The danger within the position you are pitching is of a different breed," she said, "I've heard it often said that each Dragon has their own journey to their change. Effectively, though they benefit from the partnership and shared resources of covenant, each Dragon proceeds on their path alone, or so is my understanding. Within the title of Deputy, I would have the support of my Sheriff and, likely, other deputies. Even when I had to take on a mission solo, bringing another enforcer of the Domain into the investigation would still be possible. Further, great as the dangers in Sacramento might be, there are few things within it that can amount to the danger of rituals gone awry or doors opening that are best left closed."

Even a Lost marauding Elder cannot compete with the horrors that could awake from some failed rites.

"To put it more bluntly," she said, "I wouldn't be alone and the mysteries that I might seek to solve would be less... problematic for the most part, though, certainly, such trials could arise. However, I'm confident that if that was the case, it would cease to be a solo investigation."

L
    Lina Moretti

Ah. So she had a misunderstanding of the way the Ordo Dracul worked.

"The Order of Dragons is a chain of mentor-mentee relationships that allow each Dragon to learn and grow under a more experienced tutor to develop themselves away from the banes of Kindred existence. To operate alone is to accept great risk. However, it is fair that you would be less concerned about the threats from the outside than the dangers within."

Considering all that she had said, Moretti finally smiled.

"Very well, Deputy Blackbird. You've done well. I'll let the Prince know you are Deputized so that you will be allowed to carry arms in Elysium. The chief rule? The Prince has the Right of Destruction. The Prince alone. Do not violate that, lest you suffer significant sanctions or death."

She winked, showing some humour finally.

"I'm sure you'll make me very proud."

Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Allies
    (Criminals)
    Contacts
    (Criminals, Academia)
    Barfly
    New Identity
    (Lisbeth Graham)
    Blackbird

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Blackbird smiles, leaning forward as a hand cranes upward to caress her chin.

"Interesting."
    she offers, "but as you say, that is a conversation for another time. I am yet uncertain about my path and the First Estate has its own boons, of course. I will simply need to wait to see which side the pin will fall. Then... I'll make a commitment."

Rising to her feet, Blackbird would offer the Sheriff-Priscus her hand, extending it out in professional fashion in order to visually seal the occasion.

"It is not in my intentions to fail, Sheriff,"
    she said. Nor my habit. "I will do all I can to ensure the safety of Her Majesty and of Her Majesty's domain."

"I will of course abide by these rules, though procuring a weapon to better combat any threats the Kindred of the Domain might muster will take time," she says, "I am fairly certain I will be properly outfitted for the next court, however. It should just take a few phone calls."

L
    Lina Moretti

"I find it is rarely someone's intention to fail, Deputy Blackbird - but I am confident in your abilities to excel. You have so far."

She smiled, shaking the offered hand and rising.

"Hit the streets. Start building a team of those not yet engaged. Every person who is working well for the Law makes us all safer. I'll look forward to monthly reports on the fifteenth."

Scene?

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 12

You do not have permission to view the list of names.