Changes. No one likes them, but they are a part of life. And you both accept them and adapt, or you don’t and remain stagnant.

She stands in her bedroom window, blankly staring into the night, hand absently swirling a drink.
Faye, she always welcomed change. It had been such a huge part of her life ever since she can remember, and usually meant moving to a new city or town.

This time? She wasn’t moving, for once in her life a city felt like home. She was building relationships and learning to trust thanks to Truce. But Fate had laid out a fork in her road, and she was at the crossroads now, deciding on the path to take.

One way had her remain a Ladder and fight to see the city become all she knew it could.
The other had her leave the Ladder and let the mess sort itself out.

Either way had consequences, as most things do. But which was she ready to accept? She didn’t want to hurt Truce by leaving the Ladder, but she was tired. The fighting, the Consilium pushing back against Tradition and what was stable, it was getting to her. Backing down wasn’t usually her thing, but she had watched the Consilium tear itself apart from the inside since she got to Sacramento. And it hurt. It was hard to watch and she wasn’t sure she had any fight left in her.

The options decided upon were a Band-Aid on a gushing wound. It wouldn’t hold, and the Concilium would not see itself prosper. This was where they always found themselves, without good leadership, which Truce could do, and no trust among them. Everyone kept to their Cabals, and lines had been drawn.

All she wanted was everyone to work together and for their Concilium to flourish and be as great as she knew it could. They had powerful Mages among them, powerful Mages who could lead them to greatness. But past leaders ruined it, left a sour taste in everyone’s mouth.

As she closes her eyes, a lone tear escapes. It wasn’t in sadness, it was in frustration and anger. And a hand hastily wipes it away, pissed at the weakness.

The time of change was here. Which path would she take? Could she hurt the one who had showed her she could trust? Tarot and Fate could only guide, the decision was solely hers. One could damage the blossoming friendship with Truce, would he want to continue to be friends if she left the Ladder? Would the trust they were working on be all for nothing? Or would he be supportive of a change?

But how long could she put up a front, pretend that her heart was in something that was gaining water quicker than they could bail it out?

Either path would cause hurt. She was truly lost right now, not knowing which way to go.

I'll face myself
To cross out what I’ve become
Erase myself
And let go of what I’ve done

Put to rest
What you thought of me
While I clean this slate
With the hands of uncertainty

Music by Linkin Park