Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
11 - 16
DISPLAYED
At the Margins

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

"Oh, yes. I suppose," Helen agrees, her black-within-black eyes reflecting the Nix's figure in their depths, "but like most acts of reclamation it's really about survival." She smiles at Ava's admission of an affinity for her writing, but stays silent on that score. She's often wondered if her words called out to other Lost and whether that was because of a shared trauma, or if it is something altogether more masochistic. After all, she'd learned to play with cadence and sound in her own, bizarre, way at the hands of the Others. Does that mean that her poetry speaks to some secret longing for her own captivity, and by extension the captivity suffered by other Changelings? It's not a question she feels comfortable broaching at the moment.

Ava's own concerns about her behavior and patterns draws a sympathetic nod from Author, "Limits are/what any of us/is inside of," she intones. "Charles Olson wrote that. And it's the truth." She pauses, the force of her attention on the Nix almost palpable. "I guess what I'm saying is: you can't avoid the patterns. I'm not even sure if you should. It's about recognizing them, analyzing them, figuring them out. That doesn't mean you'll earn your freedom, but it will help you in the one great task we're all involved with: to 'Know Thyself.' That's where intention comes in, after reflection. Without the latter, the former accomplishes very little."

Helen laughs, it is a clear sound, even if a touch of the bittersweet creeps in. "Not much of a consolation, right? Still, it's our business. Keeps us human." For what it's worth... "But let me ask you this: if you could act more 'intentionally' what would you do? How would you change?"

S
    Saeyer

Sorry for the wait!

It seemed the appreciation she had shown for Helen's attentive and intentional approach to living had been misconstrued as something she herself lacked. Perhaps the advice was meant more as commiseration, perhaps it was the difference in their age. But having things Ava already knew explained to her as if she did not, chafed.

"I agree that avoidance is useless. What I meant more than avoiding is choosing to live in a way that is aside from them, taking the time to recognize what those patterns are and stepping outside of them. Refusing to step back in. And, like you said: it's really about survival." Everything was about survival. The book store was about survival. The clothes she wore, the way she chose her words, when she smiled with teeth or just with thin lips and wrestled with herself about what was permissible and what was not.

Helen's laugh was met with a needle-sharp grin as something calculating sparked in the Beast's dark eyes. It was an imperfection of phrasing, but not even her admiration for the woman's writing could fully gloss over what felt like a jab at her humble Beastliness. "Oh, I act very intentionally. As intentionally as people like me can, of course." The curve of her mouth seemed to invite the Wizened to laugh at an inside joke, but the flat gaze above suggested otherwise.

"And here is the back of our humble store," she said, flowing easily back into an amicable tourguide. The backend of Marginalia was home to couple of chairs, a small table and a staircase leading up to an office door. "Did you have any questions?"

2 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2016-07-28 09:25:57 Helen Powers rolls 7 to Wits3 + Empathy3 + Specialty1 (10 Again) 2, 4, 10, 5, 4, 1, 10, 4, 4 2 successes

Listening to the Nix's responses, Helen can't help but feel that something has changed, emotionally, between them. Something about the way Ava's seemingly conspiratorial tone didn't quite reach her eyes. The Wizened comes to a halt as they enter the back of the store.

"I hope I haven't offended you with my prattling on. I find that I tend to think out loud and that, at times, I assume to much. Or become too personal. I'm sorry if that's the case." She says all this earnestly, in an unguarded way, obviously concerned that she's made a faux pas. "I didn't mean to insinuate that you weren't intentional in your actions or the way you lead your life."

She pauses, letting her apology sink in, before continuing: "And no, no more question. Other than the pragmatics: when would you like to hold this event? And how would you like to advertise it?"

S
    Saeyer

The apology was more straightforward than Ava expected, mostly because she hadn't expected one at all. But it was believable, and enough to satisfy her it hadn't been on purpose; a jab at a dumb beast. "Oh, not at all," she lied breezily, the warmth and the smile returned to her voice. "Don't even worry about it. Too personal can be a hard line to find for me." That, at least, was true.

"Ideally, soon. But we'll need time to get the word out so at least a month or two. I figure between our friends, postings in a few places that hold their own readings, and something in a couple local newsletters, we'll be on our way. I don't have much of an internet presence, but if you do, by all means." They were mostly educated guesses: she wasn't a proper event coordinator. But it sounded like a start, at least.

3 successes to I ain't bothered
    Date Action Roll Result
    2016-07-31 01:13:46 Ava rolls 8 to Manip+Subterfuge+DV (10 Again) 9, 8, 7, 7, 2, 5, 9, 3 3 successes

Helen nods, eager to get back to the specifics of their plans and away from any uncomfortable feelings she's inspired, though Ava doesn't seem as bothered as she'd thought. Perhaps the Wizened's mind is playing tricks on her.

"That sounds wonderful." Helen stops and checks her watch, looking surprised. "Oh, but look at the time! I really must be going--I need to be at the library shortly." She gives The Nix a wide, warm smile. "Thank you again for everything, Ava. It's been so wonderful talking. I'll be in touch."

S
    Saeyer

"It's been my pleasure, thank you for coming by." A bony hand reach out to squeeze one of the Wizened's, unless she evaded it. Whatever purchases Helen wished to make were taken care of swiftly, though if the slim volumes she held made their way back onto the shelves Ava wasn't bothered.

It had been an interesting meeting, her admiration undiminished but perhaps bitten by her own suspicions. It was simply difficult to imagine someone who chose what they did so purposefully would not choose their words the same way, but as Helen had said, any offense had been unintended. And Ava did believe her. Tongue pressed to the back of her teeth as she thought, a bookmark with the stores name and address was offered up to Helen, chased by a smile. "Take care."

End Scene, unless you have more to add!

event planning biz

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread