Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Heart on the Menu

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 5 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5
    Avis
    Avis

Vulgar: Color drains from the immediate area and depth perception becomes temporarily skewed, everything seeming to draw in uncomfortably close, making rooms smaller and all but distant objects seem in reach.
    Vice: Color drains from Avis and her facial features seem indistinct and grainy, as though her identity is growing less defined.
    Virtue: Colors appear more vibrant and everything seems to become grander in scale.
    Merits

PRE

Avis listened intently as the others around the room spoke. July, on the nature of generic Order roles, Varyx, on the difference between Orders as Ideologies and as Institutions. Which, really, spoke to the heart of the matter, at least as far as Avis' issue went. She'd have to read up more on the two, and on their differences, and see if that brought her any insight. In the meantime, there were a few other points she wanted to address.

"Actually, Arthur, not really. Part of our mission is to facilitate inter-order cooperation. You're a Silver Ladder. That's kind of what you do, isn't it?"
    Avis asked, turning to the posh politico. Maybe he just felt strange since they hadn't brought him into their other operations, but that was more out of respect for his talents than a disregard of them. It would really suck if he got killed by a half-crazed college student, and all of his ideas, calmly spoken words, and expertise on the lex was drained out with the streams of his blood...

Avis gave herself a slight shake, and dipped a spoon into her fudge concoction.

"And I did do that, Star,"
    she added, eyes flicking over to the corporate graveyard that had once been the beloved mop, "but it hasn't exactly been successful. The only people that responded were Steel Phoenix, minus Varyx, and they didn't really seem to get it. I tried to emphasize the importance of teamwork and headspace when going into a conflict, but they were mostly just focused on learning how to stab people. Like, I would outline a scenario for them, and they were like, 'yeah, whatever, can I just learn how to knife, please?' It was kind of...dubious, I guess, as to how helpful it really was."
    "Aw-Vee". Pres 2 (Moody). Mastigos, Adamantine Arrow. Trace of a Cajun accent.
    Defense: 8. 3 cloaked spells. Phone (pot 6), Belt (pot 5), Self (pot 2 +3) Spell tolerance: 1/3, Accumulation: 3/7

Varyx
    aka Vanessa Thomas

Tempting (Pres 4)
    Sultry (SL 4)
    Varyx, Apostate Mastigos

Nimbus

Varyx's nimbus is subtle - she still looks more or less like herself, but there's something about her, something difficult to put your finger on... She's always been beautiful, but it's magnified and somehow terrible. Something so lovely can't be human, and it gives the people around her the impression that maybe she doesn't have any humanity, either.

+2
    SL
    PRE

Varyx had to contain a sigh at the news that the people who had shown up for Avis' lessons hadn't really taken them to heart. In fairness, she probably would have shown up with the expectation that she was going to be taught how to use a knife, too, but tempering your expectations like that was part of the process. Why bother wasting everyones' time if you're not going to respect your teacher enough to pay attention to what she's teaching?

It reminded her, though, that Wayland had a point. Maybe it was time for her to ask Avis to teach her how to knife. And, apparently, also how to get into an appropriate headspace for combat, because seriously, Varyx was in no way arrogant enough to think she knew the best way to start learning how to fight.

But with that thought came an idea. A realization that she's be asking Avis for that training instead of the First Talon. "Perhaps, if we'd like to see Orders taking a more active role in our society, one of the ways to do so might be to see each one provide a more organized service. Institutionalize the roles without enforcing them through policy," she suggested slowly. "Because, right now, if I was to go to Avis for training in combat, I'd be going to Avis, not the Arrow. And, to be honest, I'm not sure how to fix that entirely, especially given how small a community we are, but a first step might be to have each Order provide an official service to the Consilium that is tied to the Order rather than an individual." As to what those services might be? It seemed presumptuous to assume she knew better than they did what characteristics of their respective Orders were valued most and best represented who and what they wanted to be.

3. Likes Cayce liked this post
    M
    Matrixchild

July looked down at the table as he took another bite. He looked in time to see Arthur's head nod. He returned it before taking another bite as he listened. He looked to Avis and added, "people tend to focus on their own actions. They want to know how to fight without realizing that each part of a group can add something more than a gunshot or a stab. A curse at the right time can be just as strong as one of my bullets."

Turning to Varyx he said, "but each order has so many facets that could fill almost any role. Would we turn to the stereotypical assumptions of what an order does for simplicity or would we look at what the distinct people have to offer and funnel it through the Orders? It seems, as I believe Star suggested, that would be each group pushing an agenda instead of just a straight up service to the Consilium. I just wonder if this is the more effective route is to just have each person individually try and work with their order to provide a service instead of almost making people go through the orders." It was certainly counter to his prior suggestion, but he could see the error in that thinking now.

Arthur

Obrimos of the Silver Ladder

Presence 4 - Cocky
    Striking Looks 2 - Slick Smile

Reality War -Titanic Ep1: H: 1rB/7 M:7/12:3, W:5/5

+1
    SL
    PRE

A moment to recover from Avis's logic and Arthur nods in agreement. "True." That is the Ladder's goal. A playful grin. "I hope I haven't gotten in the way too bad yet." Time to learn how to fight? Ehhhh.

The Steel Phoenix wanted to learn how to stab things? They're full of bookworms and an arrow. A bite of food and Arthur looks around. Did the conversation just loop back?

"O, uh, forgot to ask earlier. And I'm sorry for the tangent but I don't want to piss off Aquinas. Anyone know anything about one of the professors at the Banisher university getting off'd?" Is there a good way to ask that question to people who may have done it? Not really.
    Arthur, Obrimos of the Silver Ladder, SL2 (Slick Smile), Pres 4 (Cocky)

Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

The Mirage: Star appears translucent with overlapping and slightly offset images of himself in different identities/disguises.
    Supernal

OCC
    PRE

"Whoah, whoah, whoah."

No sir.

"No lions, tigers, or bears during dessert. That's, uh, that's the rule*."
    A Very Serious, very whipped- and ice- cream covered spoon waved at the other Angel. And a grin. "Main course, or, like, after dinner cigars. Just not dessert."

Remember those who-got-their-chocolate-in-my-peanut-butter commercials? Nobody needs lions, tigers, and bears in their ice cream and slash or cake. At all. He wasn't ignoring the Steel Phoenix talk. There just isn't much to say about the book club wanting to learn to knife.

Plus? Kinda put The Guest in an Awkward Spot.

"My vote is we wrap up by righting a long-standing wrong."
    The spoon gestured at Avis. "The travesty that she, has never seen 'Top Gun'."

I am Jack's Need, Need For Speed.

Ready to Wrap!

Nimbus in MiniSheet 2. Cloaked spells, no overt magical res. Scrut for deets.
    '...Watch With Glittering Eyes...'
    - Roald Dahl

Avis
    Avis

Vulgar: Color drains from the immediate area and depth perception becomes temporarily skewed, everything seeming to draw in uncomfortably close, making rooms smaller and all but distant objects seem in reach.
    Vice: Color drains from Avis and her facial features seem indistinct and grainy, as though her identity is growing less defined.
    Virtue: Colors appear more vibrant and everything seems to become grander in scale.
    Merits

PRE

"Short answer," Avis replied, gesturing with her spoon in Arthur's direction, "no. But I'm not surprised people are starting to get killed. That's what happens when you have people ruled by hate. Apparently we're going to let Tom Cruise rule the rest of our night, though, so...yeah. The hate can wait until tomorrow."

Avis rose, bowl of fudge in hand, and moved towards Star.

"You wanna use our theater? Or shall we ask for volunteers?"

Great scene! We shall have to do another soon!
    "Aw-Vee". Pres 2 (Moody). Mastigos, Adamantine Arrow. Trace of a Cajun accent.
    Defense: 8. 3 cloaked spells. Phone (pot 6), Belt (pot 5), Self (pot 2 +3) Spell tolerance: 1/3, Accumulation: 3/7

8. Likes Kelreth, West liked this post
Page 5 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5
Closed Thread