Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Werewolf: The Forsaken on the Wiki
Ended
Watch
11 - 20
DISPLAYED
THREADID

Drumming under the Moon (Open)

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

James nods silently as he listens to Joseph's story, his eyes showing deep interest. When the other Urathu has finished, he nods and leans back, musing over what he's been told. "I have quite a few, that's an interesting story. Let me think.."

He taps his chin, getting his mind in order. "What happened during your First Change, and what led this spirit to you , what did it want with you? It must have had quite an effect on you, you left your pack for it. I know you said you never joined any, but spending a year with them.. you must have felt at least some of that connection. What was this debt it said you had to repay, did you even know? I think I do. This city is.. sick, the Shadow is wounded, something the Pure did, and perhaps you were sent here to help. What's a muth luzuk? And finally, if you are looking for a pack to join, what skills can you offer, and do you have any questions of your own?"

Long Fang thinks for a moment, nodding his head absently and then looking around the general area. He randomly chooses a space and stares into it for a moment. Well, it seems that I didn’t cover a lot of bases. Why was I being so vague? I know that it is good to keep some secrets but at the moment I can’t see how secrecy could be of any benefit. Trust is more what I need now so I might as well be open. About the change though...

Joseph looks back to James with a smile on his face and nods. “Those are good questions; they seem to cover the important bases I missed. I do have questions but I’ll ask those after I answer yours.” He pauses for a moment and the smile disappears from his face, his eyes darkening as his jaw momentarily clenches. His tone is jovial but his face shows only old pain. ‘Well. My First Change… It happened on Thanksgiving and my parents, sister, and girlfriend were all there. I turned into Urshul and was overwhelmed by all of the smells and sounds, not to mention how bright everything was, and I…just lost control. I killed my parents and girlfriend and I was about to kill my sister when I smelled a group of… others approaching. Thankfully I decided, in my frenzied state, to go attack them instead for I later found out that they were Anshega. One of the bastards threw a fucking silver dagger at me and impaled my shoulder. I howled then, louder than I ever have since then, and they paused. The next thing I know I see something come shrieking through reality and attack the Pure. They fought it, savagely, but it eventually drove them away and beckoned for me to follow. I’m not sure why I did it, although I know I wasn’t thinking at this point, but I followed it into the Hisil. I don’t know why I attracted it or why it saved me, which I do believe it did.

Now, the debt which it set was this: I should learn from it and follow it wherever it should lead for one lunar year, risking my time and my life just as it had done when it intervened on my behalf, saving not only my life but also leading me to a place of sanctuary. The oath which I took when I became part of Kamduis-Ur’s fold is simple: ‘Pay each Spirit in kind’. I was never quite firm in my belief of the debt’s fairness but I took the oath and I could see why I should fulfill my debt, something which the pack encouraged me to do, although not overtly.

On the subject of my pack, yes there was a connection. They were my brothers and sisters, as close to me as anyone ever has been and I was always somewhat hurt by the fact that they never allowed me to join. Before the Spirit returned, however, I had already been living away from my adopted pack, staying with some of the other packs in the area. Thus when it was time for me to leave it wasn’t as hard as it might have been, although yes, it was difficult.

What is a muth luzuk? It literally means blood thief in the First Tongue, a vampire. I was tracking one’s movement in Portland but I never found it and I’m not entirely sure what it was. Or, at least, I don’t know what it was capable of, exactly.”

Long Fang pauses once again, looking around. He thought that he had caught the scent of another wolf but it was very faint and fleeting. Besides, he reasoned, there are other Uratha in the area; it’s probably an old scent on the wind.

“I suppose your pack isn’t looking for a drummer,” he asks with a sudden grin. “I am looking for a pack but I definitely want to know about the pack and the area before I join any. Hmm, what I have to offer, though… I know a lot of things and I have a good memory. I can survive pretty well anywhere, although a lot of us probably can, and I’m good in a fight, particularly in Urshul or Urhan. I am good with dealing with spirits and people, although I am not the best, and I can make things. I also know how to patch people up enough to keep them from dying. I also have a sparkling personality, as you can doubtlessly tell, and I can see dead people,” Joseph finishes trying to lighten to the mood, or rather his mood after drudging up bad memories and feelings. He was actually feeling very lucky that he was handling himself as well as he was in spite of the emotion welling inside him. He waits for Jame's reaction.

James clearly thinks after Joseph finishes speaking, regarding the wolf thoughtfully. It was clear the other wolf had a long history and one far more potent then his own, and bringing him into the Howlers when they were so shaky was a possible risk, espcially to himself. "No one else in the pack has his experience.. but how can I turn this down, espically now?"

Completely blind

"Your spirit interests me, and it may have asked a lot of you, but from the sound of it, it taught you a lot while it did. I don't know why it bought you here or what your destiny might be, but.."

A soft smile touches James' face at this moment.

"I know someone, another werewolf who might be able to help you find that out, if that's what you're looking for. But, and I'm afaid thee's a price if you'd want to meet her and ask that."

James leans forward, regarding Joseph intently. "I'm Alpha of the Howlers, a small pack with a territory near this park, and we're planning to strengthen ourselves and secure our territory, but for now, we need more pack members. All I'm asking is that you meet the others and run with us for a short time, no commitment beyond that, if you agree on this, I'll introduce you to Sally."

He leans back again, rubbing his scarred cheek.

"Someone of your skills would be extremely valuable to us Joseph, and we could give you a place to belong, and support in the city, as well as a connection to others that you don't seem to have been given in the past.

The Howlers seek justice and fairness, in every sense of the word. We plan to make our territory a good place to be, to harmoise the Hisil and its connection to this world, and to form strong cnnections with humans in our territory who can help us do this, even though they won't know about it."

He gives an ironic smile.

"What do you say?"

W
    Wyldside

Jonathan hears the offer of pack ship to the new comer. He knows deep down that expanding the pack in these shaky times, is the best thing to do. How ever he doesn't think Justin would just let anyone in.
    "Your forgetting what's most important, Wall. We border pure territory. So the biggest question is can you fight." Jonathan states as he walks from behind the tree. "When our back is against the wall, will you stand your ground and fight?"

James is on his feet in a moment at Jonathan's apperance. He calms down as he sees who it is.. and then loses that calm as he speaks, his teeth bared in an angry snarl and he advances on Jonathan, glaring at him. "You do not have the right to question my decisions -Omega-. For his sake I'll answer your question, but you'd best lean to mind your tongue in the future. We're all werewolves Jonathan, most of us can fight, and the entire point of giving him a trial is so we can know if he's suited to our pack, something that no amount of questions can truly answer."

He glares at Jonathan, muscles in his face still twitching. "And never tell me I've forgotten what's important, -never-. Do you understand that?"

Long Fang springs off of the bench, following James’s example, as the voice comes form seemingly nowhere. As he whirls towards the sound of the voice, the speaker becomes evident. He sizes the other Uratha up, his gaze automatically searching the Uratha’s body for any signs of weakness before coming briefly to his face and then quickly taking in the immediate surroundings. He pauses as he sees the tension between James and his pack-mate, musing. So, it seems the Howlers might be in dire straits, maybe even more than they’re acknowledging. There’s tension between the pack-mates and the alpha was trying to convince me to…”tryout”… by dangling a carrot in front of my nose. Forget the carrot though, if they’re asking, I’ll run with them. I’ve been alone for a long fucking time. If they want to see me fight…

‘Fang lets the tension sizzle in the air for a moment before speaking, trying to dissipate some of the tension. “I don’t want to interfere with your pack, and I don’t know either of you well, but I do know that you both care for your pack; your passion and concern for the pack speaks well for both of you. However, in troubled times, when the pressures of the world begin pushing against us, threatening to break through, it is easy to divert some of the forces which we use to push back. Unwittingly we allow our internal strength, our emotions and beliefs, to be redirected, sliding against that wall pressing down upon us and forced into every other aspect of life. You both have the packs interests at heart, don’t be fooled into thinking you’re the only one, fighting to protect it by yourself."

"One should never question the decisions of the alpha. However, a wise alpha listens to his pack while making their decisions.” He walks from behind the bench, step light, weight on the balls of his feet and body empty of tension; waiting. “James, I don’t mean to forget my place, but I say that if he wants to see me fight, let him. Let a trial speak for your words, deciding my worthiness to run with your pack along the way.”

If one of them comes and tries to tear my face off I won’t be surprised. I shouldn’t get in the middle of this but who says they don’t have their own trials as well.

James turns his attention to Long Fang, his face tense, drawn and angry, very different from his friendly apperance not long ago. That troubled look that Long Fang may have seen earlier returns to his face as he studies the other Urathu and his words.

"He's capable, he's skilled and he's intelligent, likely more then us, or me.. And here I am, making a fool of myself in front of him, but if he joins us, fah, I won't be alpha for long, will I?"

James mentally shook his head, they needed all the help they could get, even if it meant risking him losing control.

"Thank you Long Fang. However, recent events meant Jonathan hasn't earnt his right to speak yet."

He gives his packmate a withering look.

"You should be earning your right to speak back Jonathan, that's what you should focus on, and not questionning me whenever you choose. And no, you won't fight Long Fang, not after what happened the last time you sparred with another Urathu. For now, I'll do you the respect of not telling him what that was."

He turns back to Joseph.

"I'll test your ability myself, but not here, i's too open, we have a den nearby, if you're willing to come with us."

He smiles lightly.

"And thank you, you speak well."

W
    Wyldside

Jonathan's anger flares quickly before he can help him self, he snorts out a growl. Jonathan's muscle tense ready to attack. "How dare this sniffling piece of crap, try to embarrass him. It wasn't like he didn't feel remorse as well."
    Jonathan shifts to his human skin.
    "You better settle your ass down before I sit you on your ass. I don't know what you think your doing but I was chosen by Luna to be a warrior. I'll be damned if I let you talk to me like that. Just wait until this is over, your going to get yours."
    "Longfang, would you accompany us to the den. I am sure the totem would like to met you."

Joseph freezes as James’ gaze, filled with anger, falls upon him. He was sure he had said the wrong thing, or more appropriately, that he had offended James by saying anything at all. After registering what James says, including the lack of hostility and rebuke directed at him, he relaxes, face showing some surprise. Well, not the way I would have handled this. But then again, I don’t know this Jonathan and I’ve never been in a pack before, much less led one. There will be some aggression, yes, but we’re bloody Wolves, red in tooth and claw. This James has wisdom and restraint, I should be thankful for this.

When Jonathan growled, Joseph froze once more and then relaxed when nothing happened. I respect Jonathan, he just ate his pride in front of a strange wolf. He deserves resprect. He bows his head in Jonathan and James’ direction as he speaks. “I… thank you, both of you. I would be honored to come with you.”

As Joseph moved to gather up his bucket and drum sticks he felt an odd sensation. An electric jolt hit him squarely upon his head and flowed throughout his body and out of his feet, tingling pleasantly and reinvigorating him with energy. He wasn’t alone anymore and for now… it was enough.

James nods and sets off, leading the way out of the park and into the city streets.

Continued here.

http://nwod.org/forum/showthread.php?p=43172#post43172

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2