Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(1509) The Martha Show

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3

She was about to reply to Josephine when the latter decided to chide Marco for a yet unknown faux-pas. No doubt the rumors would soon start to fly away in court and poor Marco would be the target of it. The young Toreador remained silent during the exchange as she was not sure she could defuse the situation at the moment, at least not without knowing what the exact accusations were. After that, some small talk about art and ... other stuff were exchanged. She didn't understood everything that Martha explained to be honest.

"So I take it you're not a fan of Salvatore Dali Priscus Josephine? He does interesting paintings, but I guess an artist can't please everyone. I wouldn't mind having his vast talent but I'll need a lot more experience and flair to achieve. Speaking of experience, has anyone here dabbled in the noble art of painting ?"

PRE

"I am a fan of his film, but Dali's paintings do not particularly move me, no," Josephine offered to Gabrielle. "If you wish to speak to someone more knowledgeable about painters and their art, however, I would recommend speaking with Priscus Cordoba. As for myself, I am more inclined towards the literary arts."

A nod was given towards Martha, along with a surprisingly soft smile after the earlier display of fangs.

"I would say, Keeper Villiers, that the distinction is in who is being alienated. If it is the audience being alienated instead of the characters, then I would be more inclined to label something as Surrealism. If it is only the characters, but due to generic convention not the audience, then I would say it is neither. If, perhaps, it is both the audience and the characters then I would inclined to consider that a work might be Magical Realism. So, yes, perhaps some of the horrorsmith's works might count. But as for the examples you gave, I do not believe those do.

"Indeed, when it comes to horror, it seems to me that there are really only two narrative themes. In one, the fictional world is recognizable and comforting for its similarity to what we call reality, until another alien reality begins to intrude upon it. Such would be the case with possession narratives. In the other, the fictional world itself is alien and mysterious, disrupting any sense of a status quo. That is what I believe would be most similar to Magical Realism, for in that case both the sensibilities of the audience and the characters would be disabused. As for the former, the plot resolution typically resolves around the reinforcement of the status quo and the removal of the alien thorn which has upset our notions. That would not be what I would term Magical Realism, for it would reinforce a sense of a homogeneous and 'proper' reality."

OOC

V

"Sorry Gaby, I'm terribly uninformed when it comes to paintings. I certainly like to look at them though. I can't wait to see what you come up with." Diana says, putting all of her focus onto the Succubus. It isn't that she's ignoring Josephine exactly, just that she can't figure out how to contribute any further to the conversation with her.

When Josephine is done speaking however, Diana does offer a quick nod. She takes a step back to put some distance in the circle, perhaps hoping someone else will come fill the space, and diffuse things even further. She takes a look around for the obvious choice, Vivian York and sees her talking with Garrick. Are they talking about the Carthians? She can only catch the tail end but it certainly seems that way.

Maybe its best if Vivian doesn't come over after all.

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2015-09-27 14:23:43 Diana Barnes rolls 5 to Notice what Vivian and Garrick are talking about [Wits + Composure] (10 Again) 5, 5, 1, 5, 10, 5 1 success
    BP 1 | Striking Looks 4 (ethereal, captivating) | Presence 3 (friendly)
    Health 7 | Vitae 8/10 | Willpower 4/4

M
    Matrixchild

Marco was a fan of art, but really he had very little formal training in art history or analysis. To be fair, most of his time spent with art was stealing or forging it. Brushstrokes he knew, but he was sorely lacking in his understanding of things behind the canvas. Lacking, but not completely ignorant. He did enjoy looking at art and watching movies after all

"I think what I've always found fascinating about surrealism is the layers you speak of Martha. I've always enjoyed art that can be reevaluated on multiple viewings so that new emotions or insights can be found. Since Gabrielle mentioned Dali, one of my favorites of his is 'Geopoliticus Child Watching the Birth of the New Man'. Now I don't know Dali's political beliefs or intentions with the painting, so all I can do is look at it and try and interpret for myself. Sometimes I find I even avoid looking up what the painter said about their art, because I feel what the viewer takes from it can be more meaningful, more real in a sense. How the viewer reacts to a piece, painting or film or novel, helps show the true nature of the work, in my opinion. With the two different types of horror you mentioned both of them can hinge on the effect they have on the viewer and the fears brought out by it. In one, fear of change, fear of attacks to the status quo. In the other, I'd say fear of the unknown or what we can't understand, though I will say many that deal with an alien or foreign world usually have some 'every man' that the viewer can relate to. That person will then act as the viewer in the story so that we can relate to their horror and suffering. Without the 'every man' the fear can be hard to connect or relate to. Then again, the former can certainly flirt with the fear of the unknown as well. It does tend to be a big theme in general for more horror films."

Right about now Marco wished his world was a little more Sixteen Candles and a little less Silence of the Lambs. Hopefully it wouldn't get worse and end up with Josephine whispering "I want to play a game."

PRE

"How fascinating, that the liar would ask the audience to pay no attention to the intention behind their lie," Josephine commented, casting her gaze back upon Marco.

"Again, you betray yourself, Fernandez, for I know your Art, and I can read each and every thought which you have placed in your brush strokes."

M
    Matrixchild

Josephine was clearly a very singular-minded individual. It made him wonder how she did anything productive at all. Keeping his cool smile Marco said calmly and with a very friendly tone, "respectfully Priscus, I have already apologized multiple times and you've made your opinion of me well known. I believe it was you who suggested we move on to, as you put it, more diversionary things, which I humbly obliged, continuing the conversation of the gothic and horror. And yet again you shifted the conversation back to throw around liar without elaboration. Since you made it clear you have no desire to actually discuss my slights against you and I believe against the church, despite my willingness to explain and/or make amends for any misunderstandings, then I will leave you with these lovely woman for the evening. I hope we may resolve this in the future."

He turned to look at Martha, Diana, and Gabrielle with a very friendly smile. "It was a pleasure to see you three, as always. I hope you have a pleasant evening."

He turned back to Josephine one last time. With a cool smile and a nod of his head he said, "good evening Priscus Sterling," and he walked away from the group.

Marco returned to the main thread

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 16

You do not have permission to view the list of names.