Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

The Painter and the Knight (Yuki and Juan)

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    J
    Juan Cordoba

Given that Saito's Blood was on par with his own, he had an estimate of how old she might be. However he knew little of Japan outside of the common knowledge that spread through mundane channels. He listened with rapt attention, committing the details to memory.

In addition to her other talents, she was also a dancer and a flautist. Her experience with the martial arts came as no surprise to him. A Knight of the Thorned Wreath had to develop and maintain martial prowess.

The mention of the Japanese tea ceremony was a point of interest to him. An idea came to mind. Replace the tea with something more appropriate. He restrained his tongue. They were still getting to know one another. Such a suggestion could very easily come across as grossly offensive to her cultural heritage.

Woodblock prints, that was what the valets did back home. Juan tried to pronounce it as Yuki had "Uku...Uki..." he furrowed a brow and paused. "U-ki-jo-e. I hope I pronounced that properly," a bashful smile followed. "I haven't had as much experience in woodworks as I have with painting. However, I would enjoy a lesson or two in that particular art."

Victoria Stamford
    Fisher

Presence ••
    Adamantine Arrow Status •
    Victoria Stamford

Yuki smiled pleasantly as Juan pronounced the word not upset or irritated in the slightest as the man's attempt at the word. She new first hand how difficult strange words in strange languages could be.

"Ooo key oh ay," she said each part slowly to help him with the sound. "They were first drawn on paper and then glued onto a wood block. The image was then carved into several wood blocks. The carved images were used as a stamp to imprint the final work on cloth, paper, or wood planks as a means of mass production. Like a printing press for art. Some of them were quite lovely, others were more...scandalous," she finished with a helpful smile.

"The style was quite popular in Asia. They mostly used water based inks as opposed to oil based in the west. So the colors were wide ranged and vibrant. Calligraphy or painting could also go onto scrolls and hung. Wall scrolls were so they could be changed with the seasons and stored away. They also decorated the rice paper screens used as room dividers and frequently the sliding paneled walls in buildings." she said attempting to make things as clear as she could.

J
    Juan Cordoba

Juan's lips curled in amusement as Yuki clarified. As she elaborated further, his lips tightened in thought. He envisioned what the Ukiyo-e art possibly looked like. He rubbed his chin as his imagination continued. "Lady Saito, you have piqued my interest in this style of art," de Cordoba's tone resonated with a deep sincerity. "Might you be willing to teach me these practices of your homeland?" He added, "In your spare time, of course."

Victoria Stamford
    Fisher

Presence ••
    Victoria Stamford

"Would that I could," Yuki began with a dejected sigh. "I'm afraid that I am not an expert of the technique. I could show the little I know, but I would prefer time to prepare and refresh my knowledge. I would hate to spoil your impression of it by a potentially poor rendering."

The Asian Yokai thought for a moment considering how she might be able to sate the other's curiosity and then smiled.

"However, I am confident that I could get a sampling of the style and that would allow you to see some of the better examples of the style from masters. That way you can make your decision if it is something that would indeed interest you. We could decide from there perhaps?"

J
    Juan Cordoba

Noting the apparent dissatisfaction with herself, Juan's excitement quelled. It was not fair to impose. Just as quickly, the winds had changed. She offered a chance to see a master's work. "I am most grateful Lady Saito," he replied eagerly and sincerely. "I am always looking for new styles to learn and eventually master. This would give me a new challenge."

Reigning in his zeal, waving his hands, "Time is not an issue." He simmered down a bit. "Take as much time as you require."

Victoria Stamford
    Fisher

Presence ••
    Victoria Stamford

Yuki chuckled good-naturedly at the the other's excitement at the new information he was given regarding the art form. If it is one thing Daeva knew about it was passion and obsession. Not even she was immune to the call of the blood, much to her dismay at times.

"It is no trouble at all. I know how excitable we can be when it comes to our calling, but it just gives you something to look forward to," she said with a smile. "The planing and anticipation is half the fun when it comes to the arts. That moment just before it begins...that moment anything is possible and then when you see it all come together. It can be a lot like the excitement of combat, for me at least."

J
    Juan Cordoba

"Absolutely," he replied sincerely. "While I am no combatant, I am always impressed by those proficient with it."

He spoke with modesty, "Thank you ever so much. Is there a means by which I can repay you? Perhaps a portrait of something you fancy?"

Victoria Stamford
    Fisher

Presence ••
    Victoria Stamford

"It's nothing really," Yuki said with an honest smile. "I don't really have anything that I can think of at the moment."

The Daeva pursed her lips in thought for a moment before she shook her head no.

"It is just nice to have a pleasant conversation with others that can appreciate a person's interests. It has given me the opportunity to reminisce about things I haven't had the opportunity to in a while. It can be hard to be separated from one's home, but even worse when you know that home doesn't exist anymore." Yuki gave a breathy laugh and continued, "...and here I am getting all serious when we are having such a good time. But, it is getting late and I should probably let you get back to your work. I don't want to take up all of your evening."

J
    Juan Cordoba

Juan nodded in response and gave no further input beyond, "I understand." He did not know what circumstances surrounded the non-existence (presumably destruction) of her home. Nor did he have any inclination to disturb the harmony both were enjoying.

At her mentioning it was time was running out, he pulled back a sleeve to check his watch. Shaking his head, "You needn't worry about taking me away from my profession. The more Kindred I interact with, the more ideas that inspire me."

It was time to bid farewell, "Thank you ever so much, Lady Saito."

J
    Juan Cordoba

End Scene. Excellent thread!

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 0

You do not have permission to view the list of names.