Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Voila Le Crepe!

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

The Mirage: Star appears translucent with overlapping and slightly offset images of himself in different identities/disguises.
    Supernal

OCC
    PRE

"Not recently," he admitted. Spandex, yo. Everyone looks.

He flipped the crepe onto the plate, and began buttering the pan again.

"You, uh, should probably tell your team that? I mean, seriously, they kind of sucked at Arrowlympics." What? Nothing wrong with honesty.

"Like, if that's seriously an Arrow Thing and not an Asp thing. But. Uh. No offense? Sounds kind of strange."
    Yep. Find a word other than 'dumb'. "I mean, it's not like a Banisher is going to want to arm wrestle. Using magic to enhance seems... inefficient. Just go straight to the spells, yo. Handle your business."

Not the business. Highly. Effective. Individual.

He offered the pan.

"Want to try?"
    Nimbus in MiniSheet 2. Cloaked spells, no overt magical res. Scrut for deets.
    '...Watch With Glittering Eyes...'
    - Roald Dahl

2. Likes Cayce liked this post
    A
    Asp

"Thanks," she said, putting the plate aside. She gave him an arch look as he threw down at the Arrow, but, uh... yeah, some of them were kind of underperforming. "Heh, well, there's a lot of rookies, I get the sense. Doing their best, but we all got training to do yet."

No shame in admitting it.

"It really is an Arrow thing, though, and it's a philosophy that's practical. Think about it. I'm fighting a Banisher in front of Sleepers. I've augmented myself to hell because I'm not strong enough naturally and Disbelief eats it. Then I'm just a regular girl fighting, and I'm gonna die if he's in better shape. Or worse, he's a Prime allstar and Dispels my augmentations. It's a super effective tactic, that. Just relying on the magic is like fighting in a fortress made of glass the second someone with good knowledge of Prime shows up, you know?"

Then she grinned. "Plus, Life can only take you so far. One day you'll see what happens when I Hone. Hulk, smash. But it couldn't be done if I didn't work on it naturally, too." She chuckled, stepping in to give this crepe thing a go.

It did not go well. Her crepe began to smell really burny really quick. "Shiiit," she said, flipping it over. Yep. Burned.

At least she didn't set the kitchen on fire.

fail
    Date Action Roll Result
    2014-07-22 00:20:25 Asp rolls 1 to Crepes (10 Again, Chance) 2 failure

Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

The Mirage: Star appears translucent with overlapping and slightly offset images of himself in different identities/disguises.
    Supernal

OCC
    PRE

He did have the tact to not point out that it wasn't just rookies. Honestly? It was a little scary.

"Eh. Maybe? Just seems like, I dunno, self improvement's a, what's it called? Zero sum game. So you end up being so-so at boxing and so-so at magic. Right?"

Wasn't she an angel, too? It wasn't like she couldn't sling Prime. Get your Aether on, girl.

"Ummmm? You better try that again? If you want to win a crepe-off. Y'know, that's the first time I've, uh, ummm. Seen you suck at something.""

He started cracking up.Criticizing Amazons. That's living dangerously, yo.

"I'll pour. Just, mmmm, tilt the pan around, then flip."

No. He wasn't going to hold her hand and show her. That's living even more dangerously.

Asp adds 5 to her roll
    Date Action Roll Result
    2014-07-22 00:38:24 Star rolls 7 to Crepes! Teamwork (10 Again) 9, 2, 10, 4, 1, 9, 10, 2, 10, 2 5 successes
    - Roald Dahl

5. Likes Cayce liked this post
    A
    Asp

Asp nodded. He had a point, something she'd overlooked. She was always in great shape. Had been for years, long before becoming an Arrow. "Fair enough. Personally, I was already fit before I Awoke. This last bit of training is just finishing up, gettin' me to my goal. Soon, I'll be onto serious studies. Prime, Life. It's good stuff. I'm gonna be about the house in my PJs with my head in a book. Gonna have to work to fit the jogs in." She stuck her tongue out a little, playfully.

She had totally sucked at crepes, and she gently laughed along with him. Sometimes, she was a badass. The rest, she was a 22 year old girl who'd left home really early. "Yeah, let's give it another go. I totally suck in the kitchen. My dad made fun of me a lot whenever I'd try and end up burning whatever. Spaz, he called me. It was valid."

As he gently began to pour, she tilted the pan around just so. The sizzling of the pan and the rising good smells were coming, and at the appropriate time after tilting the pan around, she flipped it...

"Yeah! There we go!"

That was a crepe that did not suck horribly!

"Verdict?"

2 sux to CREPE!
    Date Action Roll Result
    2014-07-22 00:54:43 Asp rolls 5 to CREEPEESEESESE +5 (10 Again) 5, 4, 9, 6, 8 2 successes

Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

Supernal

OCC
    PRE

"PJs. And a book. Uh, no. Believe it when I see it?"

He lifted the pan, rotating it, sliding the newly created around. Put that tongue back in your mouth, yo. Tryin' to make crepes here.

"Well. I dunno. There's a lot of bubbles on the left side."
    The pan lifted and he sniffed at it. "The, uh, bouquet is a little buttery. And it's definitely thicker in the center. Visible inconsistency."

Stop it, yo. He started laughing, unable to keep the Serious Face any longer.

"Only one way to find out? Grab that plate. Sit. Eat. Not sure how you like it. But there's a selection of toppings. Or condiments. Hmmmm. Whatever you call yummin' up a crepe."

He waited until she sat, and slid her crepe onto her plate.

"So. Ummmm. Sounds like you're, uh, close to your dad? What's he think of you, hmmmm. Living here."

Somehow, the thought of Amazon's angry dad showing up one day with a shotgun to shoot him for living in sin with his daughter had never occurred to him. Seriously? Gotta be on the short list of worst ways for The Last Starfighter to die.
    - Roald Dahl

8. Likes Sirith liked this post
    A
    Asp

"I totally study. When it comes to magic, anyway." Asp grinned. It was kind of earnest, actually. "Been a few months now since I had a Master's teachings, sadly -- at least in Awakened stuff." The thought made her think of Sharp, back home, and between the funny thoughts there and Star's antics, she was laughing, too. "Sensei Star in the house with the crepe-fu, though! He's got a discerning eye for dough!"

She received that crepe on her plate, sitting down and "yummin' it up". Strawberries, bananas, a bit of whip, a drizzle of chocolate sauce.

"Savory on crepes is so not a thing," she noted, cutting into it and taking her first bite. "Not bad," she said as she munched before falling silent to chew. Unlike savory crepes, manners did matter a bit.

"Dad? Yeah, we're close. Mom left ages ago, right, and he's always been super supportive of me. Even when my athletics got expensive, you know? He misses me, I miss him, but he thinks I'm chasing the dream out here. Gotta live my life and all that - if only he knew. Can't tell him why I'm really here, what with the Arrow assignment, but as far as he's concerned, I'm here to teach kids and enjoy some surfing. Hopefully Leo will give leave for Christmas and I can pop home, if things aren't too crazy here."

Speaking of which...

"We should go surfing sometime before the summer's out. Weekend away! It'd be a waste, with the coast so close."

Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

Supernal

OCC
    PRE

He just. Shook. His. Head. Slowly. The amount of stuff she'd just loaded on one crepe was enough for five. Seriously? Girl gonna blow up if she ever stopped running. Because calories.

"You. Ummmm. Hmmm. On the next one? Try spreading a little spoonful of this,"
    he said moving the sweetened condensed milk in front of her. "Just, like, a super super thin layer. Then roll it up and give it a go. But, ummmm." He added a napkin. "Fingers get a little sticky."

He turned back around, and started producing crepes in earnest. He had the feel of the pan and spatula now, and the stove dialed in.

"Oh, yeah? That's pretty awesome, him being supportive and all."
    Yep, totes curious about the moms leaving, but that fell under Volunteered Information. But it explained the cooking thing. Well. Kind of. Totally not a sexist. Not Crepe Badger. At least it didn't sound like Crepe Badger was going to get shot by Angy Dad.

Crepes started appearing on a plate.

"Ummmm. Wow. You uh... you have to get, ummmm, 'leave' for Christmas? Is that an Ungala thing? Or Lockheart thing?"

He tried to picture Zoey and Avis. Surfing. He could. Florida, yo. But them?

"Hmmmm. Zoey might surprise me, but... you think Avis... surfs?"

Because Zoey surprises. And, because.
    - Roald Dahl

A
    Asp

Asp was totally in love with her super-sweet fruit and whip crepe. So good. Dessert for breakfast. "Sure," she said, looking at the condensed milk for a moment before resuming her fruit crepe. Asp figured her tasty sweet crepe would be yummier, but hey, condensed milk was okay too. "Leave? I'm not sure yet. Back in Vegas, it was pretty strict, right? Leo seems a bit more relaxed, but I should at least check in with him."

She grinned about the concept of Avis surfing. "Man, I dunno if she knows how yet, but I bet she'd learn. But I totally want to see it. VT all riding the waves. We'd have to convince Mandy to do it, even if she knows how, but hey."

Her fruit crepe destroyed, Asp produced another and spooned condensed milk onto it to get that started.

"So, what's your family like, Star? If I can ask that. I mean, if it's secret and all, I don't mind."

Status
    (Entertainment)
    Status
    (News Media)
    New Identity
    (Jack Hoyle)
    Nimbus

Supernal

OCC
    PRE

Well. Chalk one up for the Guardians. Although, when you thought about? Having half your crew undercover meant keeping track of everyone wasn't super practical. Guardians. Punching in, punching out. Hilarious, yo.

"So?" He turned to wave the spatula at her.

"How was it? Your... second... crepe."
    He grinned and nodded at the burnt first attempt. "Although, that's totally being generous about that being your first. Anyway. How'd you do?"

Leo was more relaxed than Vegas? Wo-ow. The thought quickly bounced to thoughts of the crew surfing. Well. There was always sand castle building. Like, legit epic castles. His thoughts circled back to Leo, and a question he'd been meaning to ask, and then she kept going.

"Hmmmm. No, it's not a secret. They, uh. Eh. Long story short, they kicked me out. Haven't, hmmmm. Yeah. Haven't talked to them since."

He paused to make sure he hadn't forgotten some birthday phone call or some such, and spoke in a completely casual tone. He could have still been talking about crepes. The last crepe slid onto the plate and he brought to the table, then returned to pour himself some coffee and slid into a chair.

Sweetened condensed milk? Pretty good in coffee, too.

"But I deserved it. No bigs."
    - Roald Dahl

A
    Asp

"Amazing," Asp said dreamily, a look of total foodisfaction written on her face. She gave him a 'ha ha' kind of look at his joke, and replied, "Dude. There's something to be said for fruit and whip on crepes. Might be a bit much for one, it's not like a big pannekoek from one of those Dutch restaurants so I'm gonna have to figure out the right amount to put on, but yeah. Super good. Thanks for showing me how."

Maybe one day she'd learn to consistently do it herself, and then she would never eat a PowerBar again.

She cut into her condensed milk crepe as he explained what happened with his parents. She was about to take a bite, but then she paused. Her lips parted for a moment, as if to say something, then closed, then opened again -- "Whoa. Uh... do you want to talk about it? I don't mean to pry."

She was curious about what he'd done to deserve it, a little, but a rough home life? That wasn't something you just pried into. For most people, giving them the choice of whether or not to talk about talk about that kind of stuff was the right thing to do. Digging, just asking a million questions, that was a good way to get told to fuck off.

Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread