Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(Invisible Hands) Of Vaults and Basements...

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3

Aileen McFarlane

PRE

In most circumstances, Aïleen would have either been actually interested in David's display of knowledge of the the Egyptian language, or at least found it endearing. As it was, she felt like she was uselessly losing time, and refrained from chafing out loud. Instead she let him go, and leaned her forehead against the eagle, touching it and trying to feel anything.

OOC

2. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    C
    Casitive

Aileen's silent protest caught David a little off-guard. He guessed wrong, plain and simple, and he slowly lowered the clay jar to his side at the dawning realization. “Oh, you did mean...” David trails off but not for long, “the whole capitol. Sorry.

The Shadow Mortician placed the clay jar somewhere safe while he looked over the eagle. “It might be too heavy for the both of us,” David warned, “but, let's give it a try?” His steps convey him behind the stone-eagle and he peered around it.

Quickly rolling up his sleeves, David asked, “Where do you need it to go?

Aileen McFarlane

PRE

Once again, David's kindness did wonders. Opening her eyes and turning her head toward her Coterie-mate, Aïleen refrained a smile at his eagerness to help. "I... mean... I need to Sleep by it." As if that explained everything.

Of course, it didn't, but how did you explain the fear of Falcons and Lions ? Not that the reawakened Eagle was much more reassuring, but still...

"The two of us can't move it..." it was a fact. "So I'll stay here." Another fact.

"But I heard you before, reading those..." she said, showing the glyphs. "What do they say ?" her gaze was intense.

5. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    C
    Casitive

Understanding lit David's features as he made a slow, deliberate nod. Suddenly, he felt a little silly at the thought of attempting to carry the Stone Capitol and this caused David to ruffle his hair. “I can find some blankets for you, if you want,” the Mortician offers knowing he couldn't dissuade Aileen even if he wanted to. “If you need me nearby, I can see about borrowing the Castellan's room upstairs.

Coming back around to the front, where Aileen was, he pointed out the Hieroglyphics. “It's a formula,” David begins to explain, “It reads this way and looks to be from the Old Kingdom, if you note how it's been 'adjusted.'” It was no secret that Religion and Politics went hand-in-glove in Egypt and 'touch-ups' were to be expected. “It draws down power to hide though more literally, it grants protection from sight.” A beat, “There's a few additional phrases that refer to <<S-kh-m>>, or Power here,” a point with a finger “and here,” another point.

These scratches,” David notes, gesturing to them, “are really similar to the ones from the ceramic jars we have. So I wanted to quickly confer with them side-by-side.

YYC

Aileen McFarlane

PRE

"Well... thank you, that's very kind. But I don't know what might happen..." Aïleen stated for David to make an educated decision. "Perhaps nothing. Hopefully. Or perhaps... something. About me..." she said, lowering her voice as she finished the sentence.

"I'll explain later..." she said weakly, feeling drained already after the elation of having found the Eagle.

David's words of explanation were all the more interesting, and she absorbed each and every one of them, commiting them to memory for future reference. Protection from Sight... The small Mekhet nodded in silent, her mind processing the possibilities.

She wished it were already sunrise. But she wished even more her hopes would hold.

C
    Casitive

Okay,” David gently responded to Aïleen, delicately reaching to touch her arm. “I'll stay upstairs if you need me.” It was enough for him that Aileen mentioned that she would explain 'later' and he hoped that Aïleen would take solace in his decision to stay nearby. David let the moment of silence stretch and while there were no words, the Mortician tried to impress on her everything that has gone unsaid.

Okay,” David said again, this time in a refocused tone while he turned to the Hieroglyphics. He took a moment to parse the formula into English and once he settled on a translation, told Aïleen. As soon as she motioned that she understood, David slowly and deliberately reads the formula again. This time, in the reconstructed pronunciation of Egyptian that he knew.

Once done and once locked in Aïleen's mind, David glanced at his watch, took the clay jar, and headed upstairs to allow Aïleen to settle for the Daysleep.

Aileen McFarlane

PRE

Silence was a language Aïleen spoke fluently, and she understood perfectly everything that David exchanged with her in those moments of quiet. She nodded slowly once, her gaze focused on him, the barest smile on the corners of her lips.

The translation from the hieroglyphs was yet another moment when she was glad to have met him, less than a year ago. There was no need for words, and so she spoke none, merely nodding her understanding, and thanks, again. The words were easily commited to memory, there to be summoned from when needed.

As David made to leave, she slowly reached out to touch his arm, stopping him before he left. She really couldn't bring herself to speak, but once again looked him in the eyes, her own quite red indeed, and nodded once slowly again, in silent thanks.

The young Shadow then let him leave, and prepared herself to sleep under the Eagle's Aegis, or so she hoped. And perhaps he would care to enlighten her further.

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

And with that we wrap this scene. Good work

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
Closed Thread