Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3

Chase Ankers
    Chase Ankers

Presence ••• (charming)
    Striking Looks •• (handsome)
    Blood Potency •
    -Blush Active in Social Scenes-

PRE

"Oh it is, I quite agree. It's elegant, a gentleman's armament," agreed Chase as he relaxed. "Do you really think so? Have the Invictus been known for duels and swordplay? I know at least one of their members is skilled with a blade, and others with a variety of martial prowess." Could the sword be a way to settle matters of honor of dispute, he wondered silently. If some offense was made he could step in and exact punishment without real violence. A symbolic gesture of victory and defeat. Ah, but still, that meant there was a chance at losing and facing real embarrassment. Such fantasies would only cloud his judgment.

"In any case, aside from footwork there is also bladework. These are categorized as Attack, Parry, Riposte, Counter Riposte, Counterattack, and Countertime. The prise de fer has four basic actions, opposition, croisθ, bind, and envelopment. These have to do with the four quadrants or positions one may choose to engage from. Imagine a cross overlaying the opponents chest and each quadrant is a field of engagement." He paused in his hand gestures and sighed. "Unfortunately simply knowing this is of little use if it cannot be put into practice. What every fencer must focus on is being able to parry. So I will show you how to position your blade should you be attacked in any of these quadrants."

Chase does so, twisting his wrist and reciting the quadrant names, "Sixte, Quarte, Septime, Octave."

B
    Beej

"The Invictus have knightly orders and guilds. Both would value and teach things such as swordsmanship. As to duels, I believe it varies from domain to domain and country to country." It occurs to the monk he might be educating the Ventrue about covenants in addition to the occult. "Something as ceremonial and celebrated as duels do still hold appeal their appeal to this night. In Athens sometimes a duel has been invoked by an aggrieved party or imposed." he smiles slightly, remembering more than one such event employing dueling pistols. "From what I have been told, in France and England it not unheard of. It really depends, I think, on where the elders and courtiers hail from. You could perhaps speak with Madam Donovan or Madam Sage? They would presumably know the custom and temper of his Grace's Court."

Teodor nods along with the man's explaintion. "Ah, moment sir." he asks as he fetches the epee as Chase intended to actually work on blade work tonight. Returning, Teo takes up the stance Chase had sown and stands parallel, epee out in front of him.

Chase Ankers
    Chase Ankers

Presence ••• (charming)
    Blood Potency •

PRE

"Ah, quite intriguing. That gives it somewhat of a romantic appeal I suppose. You really are quite knowledgeable about such things, sir," replies Chase, awaiting Teodor's readiness.

"I won't move swiftly, sir, so you can anticipate my gestures, and I won't strike at you. Just move naturally and I shall give you direction where needed," he said informatively to his opponent. Chase moved steadily, pushing his blade tip obviously to the lower quadrant and waiting for Teodor to press his own blade against his to parry the move. "Always be mindful of your hands and try to keep the contact between steel near the tip and move to intercept. Eventually you will feel the blade as an extension of yourself, judging distance and weight."

B
    Beej

"Thank you Supplicant." Teo nods in gratitude of the compliment.

Teodor moves his blade down to Ankers and taps it against the tip as directed. "Focusing contact near the tip of the blade, what is the mechanical significance of it?" he asks curiously. Now that he was to actually be wielding swords instead of watching them on Hollywood films, he wanted to know as much as he could on the subject.

Chase Ankers
    Chase Ankers

Presence ••• (charming)
    Blood Potency •

PRE

OOC
    "I believe the significance relates to the flexibility of the blade, blocking the middle or near the hilt, the blade may still whip around. Making contact near the top portion allows you to guide it better, though this is more as something to work towards. There is nothing wrong with making contact with the rest of the blade as it'll have the same effect but lessened. But even I am not entirely sure on this. In fencing the tip is what makes the score so one focuses on controlling the tip, but there may be better methods. When we have a proper lesson I'll try to find a better explanation for you."

Chase repeated the process of pressing forwards with his blade to each quadrant and watching Teodor parry them. "Yes, that's good. Do try twisting your wrist while subtly moving the whole of your arm, good. Once it becomes habit you won't have to think about it consciously."

After a time of this, Chase steps back and lowers his own blade. "Hmm, well that's enough for now I believe. I really should continue with my own practices, if you don't mind. Do you think you'll be coming to the Chapter House regularly, Slave Raluca? We can always continue lessons and...discussion on those occasions."

B
    Beej

Teodor nods at the man's answers and attentively follows the Ventrue's instructions, following along as best he can.

When the Supplicant calls for the end of the session, Teodor nods in ascent. "Of course, I do not wish to impede any further on your practice. Oh. Yes Supplicant. I plan on spending much time on exploring the libraries. And of course, make myself available to assist anyone who may desire assistance in their studies."

Chase Ankers
    Chase Ankers

Presence ••• (charming)
    Blood Potency •

PRE

"That is good to hear," Chase allows himself to smile genuinely to Teodor. Despite the weight of his Beast, the Lord was glad for such a knowledgeable member of their Order. His willingness to share in such practical knowledge was...comforting, and it removed any initial discomfort he may have felt towards the man. "I will obtain some equipment for you for next time and store it here at the Chapter House so I needn't be here for you to train. Even if you find later on that fencing is not for you you'll find that many of the basic motions can translate to other blade techniques. I am...thankful for your time, Slave Raluca, and wish you fortune in your continuing studies and discourse this evening."

Chase bowed his head to both his teacher and student, one in the same. This was an interesting development, one he couldn't have anticipated, yet still another matter to consider among many things weighing on his mind.

B
    Beej

"Thank you Supplicant, you are most kind." Teodor returns Anker's smile and nod. He was quite pleased with himself. Getting past the suspicious nature of kindred and showing that there were good men who really desired to help out of the goodness of their hurt was a hard task. One reached, quite a few to go. But a good sign! he thought. However he assumed breaking through Adler's dogma would be significantly more difficult and time consuming. But such was life, or unlife.

"I shall leave you to your practice then. Good evening sir." he bows slightly and walks out of the training room.

Chase Ankers
    Chase Ankers

Presence ••• (charming)
    Blood Potency •

PRE

"A good evening to you as well," Chase replies. He nods, and gives a slight bow in return as he watches the monk depart. Chase ensured the door was closed before he resumed practice. He had never truly gotten to the major topic he had wanted to discuss, but there would be other opportunities. The issue of his family matters, of his father and sister, troubled him still. Their involvement in his business had made him come to question his lingering relationship to them. Still, he had time, and he would learn what options were available to him. If he found himself cornered he could always rely on his clan's abilities to see him through. He was fortunate for that much.

End Scene

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
Closed Thread