Priscus of Clan Gangrel
    Aspect of the Predator

Sacramento ••••
    Lancea Sanctum •
    Gangrel ••••

Blush of Life active in public
    AotP disabled in Court

PRE

"Amen." Dillon echoes Sidor, probably making the mark of the Spear on his forearm in near perfect synchronization with the Bishop. "It has been seven months* since my last Confession, before both the Almighty and his Anointed."

His mind is already examining what he is about to say, and the details of his situation. Looking back over the past, he stops. That's too close to second-guessing himself. Too much analysis, at this point, will only hinder Sidor's efforts. What is required now, is simple, thoughtful honesty.

And Dillon is fairly good at that, for a vampire.

Be polite. Be courteous. Show professionalism. And have a plan to kill everyone in the room.

Blood Potency •••••
    Presence ••• (Disarming)
    Striking •• (Boyish Good looks)

S
    Sidor Grigoriev

"In Confession, the Damned come to the Almighty in His Wisdom, and kneel in His Sight to express their remorse at their failings and their desire to be renewed in His Purpose. It is the fate of all Damned to fail in His Sight, for He is both infinite in Wisdom and Compassion, and we are lost. It is right indeed that we confess, that we may acknowledge our fault and thus be restored through contrition. Confess to me your sins, Brother, and renew yourself this night," Sidor replied quietly, purposely using an unfamiliar version of the many penitent prayers.

This one was from his home city, and rarely used even then. It was considered harsh, even for an ascetic.

But there was reason in all things.

Onward Christian Soldier
    DILLON CONNERY

Regent of Valencia
    Reeve of Sacramento
    Bishop of the Lancea et Sanctum
    Priscus of Clan Gangrel
    Aspect of the Predator

Sacramento ••••
    Lancea Sanctum •
    Gangrel ••••

AotP disabled in Court

PRE

Dillon's instinctual understanding of the severity of Sidor's prompt is along the lines of his experience this night. Trial by fire. Throw the bird out of the nest and she'll fly or fall. The hard path. The path of difficulty.

Important for any Sanctified, yes. But the last member of a Parish that should crumple under pressure is the Priest.

"Instruct me in penitence, for I have sinned," Dillon begins, with only as short of a pause that could still be considered polite. His husky voice soldiers on with solid conviction.

"Wrath becomes me.

"I have not physically acted out against an undeserving Kindred, but during a Clan meeting I held recently, I lost my temper. I screamed in the faces of my fellow Gangrel, including a Regent and my Whip, who is another Deputy. All because the subject of my ire, Francesco Giovanni, was too cowardly to present himself."

Dillon pauses briefly, as though in examination. It made sense to him before, but now it is coming into words. "While it had the desired effect of rallying my Clan into action; unifying them against attitudes that undermine our usefulness, it was not done so out of calculation. I didn't roar at them with the express intention of galvanizing them into supporting one another. I did it because I wanted to twist Giovanni into splinters, bone by bone, and he wasn't there. If one of them had been immature enough to take offense, or challenge me openly, they would likely be Torpid now.

"I wanted one of them to. And I wanted it to be James Calloway."

There is a shake of his head, that he realizes Sidor can't see. "I had much better success in manipulating him toward the correct course of action with a more quiet, detached antagonism. Patience ruled the night. Ironically, he threw a tantrum at me, then. Probably since he saw I was no longer angry enough to destroy him.

"Nevertheless, the anger is only building. In the past, I have been adept in making it work for me. Especially in the line of work you and I have found ourselves in. When it is time for battle, I can focus my anger and frustrations into a white-hot point. Releasing it on those who deserve wrath. But lately, it is more difficult. My heart is angry and wild. The blood on my hands only makes me want to rationalize lashing out even more.

"I know that I was designed to be a creature of violence, but I fear I may be losing my grip on how to use it responsibly."
    Be polite. Be courteous. Show professionalism. And have a plan to kill everyone in the room.

Blood Potency •••••
    Presence ••• (Disarming)

S
    Sidor Grigoriev

Sidor listened to Dillon's description of his fault, the expression beneath the shadows severe and silent. There was of course, a vein of responsibility in there. To be a Priscus was not to never be angry, but it did mean to do what was best for one's family. Even when it meant taking the harder route.
    The Haunt knew that path well, because he had walked it a thousand times.

"Many have made the mistake of considering that Wrath is always sinful, brother,"
    Sidor replied quietly, as he closed his eyes in the darkness."And you make the same mistake in conflating the two. Your rage at Giovanni was just. Those who fail their duty to their family have thus fallen, and it is the path of the Priscus to remind all others where they stand. In this, your anger was only a tool of a greater Purpose. Do they not now know what they must do?"

He paused briefly, quite understanding the desire to tear Calloway's head from his shoulders. The man's company was rather akin to an icepick to the temple.

"It is said that the ends do not justify the means, Brother, but I say to you that in this fallen world it is almost always false. Yes - there were better means, and you discovered them, but that does not mean that your method failed. Even the Son of Man, faced with money-changers in the Temple of His Father, did not resort to calm words of rhetoric and debate, but took up the lash and drove them before him, and overturned their tables. Could rhetoric have won the day? Certainly. A well respected man who issues a command will find himself being obeyed.

Even so. It remains so only as long as we temper our wrath, and wield it, rather than allowing it to wield us. When you rage without control, you allow the Beast a gap in your psyche in which to pour itself, and risk falling to its hunger. The violence in you blazes hotly. I tell you this, then - you must learn to burn cold.

But know that your sin does not lie in action, but in thought. Your actions have not yet shamed you. Do you repent, and seek penance, Brother?"

Onward Christian Soldier
    DILLON CONNERY

Regent of Valencia
    Reeve of Sacramento
    Priscus of Clan Gangrel
    Aspect of the Predator

Sacramento ••••
    Lancea Sanctum •
    Gangrel ••••

AotP disabled in Court

PRE

While Dillon well knows that wrath isn't always destructively sinful, especially not for a Sanctified. His point had been that he had not wielded it - that he let it fly out of control. But to learn that such blind rage may have its own purpose, that is epiphany.

To hear the ice-cold Bishop defend Dillon's loss of control feels as though he's been struck from his feet.

There is a time and a place for everything. I still have much to learn.

No pause can be heard in the Gangrel's voice, neither by hesitance or the common form of speech marking the term of respect. "Yes sir I do."

Blood Potency •••••
    Presence ••• (Disarming)

S
    Sidor Grigoriev

"It is vital that you learn to master your anger, so that you can allow it free reign when is necessary and control it when it is not. For this, part of your contrition will involve studying with me for some time. But in the main, you will go from this place, and you will spend a week permitting yourself no emotion. Neither joy, nor sorrow, nor anger, nor pleasure will be allowed to you. In this time, you will pray, and ask forgiveness for your fault. And should you slip, your time will start over, until you have allowed yourself a week without the shackles of mortal feelings, that you may appreciate it all the more. You will continue this until you succeed or I release you from this penance," Sidor replied, quietly. His voice was stern, and as cold as ice.

He knew full well that the penance he had assigned was almost impossible, but that was not the lesson here, after all. Sometimes, in pursuit of the Purpose, attempting that which was almost impossible had to be done.

Onward Christian Soldier
    DILLON CONNERY

Regent of Valencia
    Reeve of Sacramento
    Priscus of Clan Gangrel
    Aspect of the Predator

Sacramento ••••
    Lancea Sanctum •
    Gangrel ••••

AotP disabled in Court

PRE

If the Deacon were as suspicious of the Bishop as he is of every other new face, and indeed, as he was of Sidor when Dillon first came to Sacramento, he might have thought that the Russian Haunt was attempting to groom him into some sort of semblance of himself. Brainwashing his congregation into lemmings, fit to do his bidding.

But such thoughts only enter the Gangrel's mind as prods from the eternally growling Beast, which Dillon merely observes with detachment. Suspicion and Paranoia are a sign of his age, but he has grown accustomed to it. Though he doesn't recoil from thoughts of mistrust in disgust, he doesn't entertain them, either.

Sidor has worked very hard to overcome that which sets vampires eternally apart from each other. Dillon trusts him, and Josephine. And they need no official or supernatural bonding to make it so.

"Father, we give thanks, that your wisdom may be passed to your Damned servants. That we may yet know Purpose befitting your Will, fallen as we are. Amen."

There is no hint of disagreement in Dillon's voice. Pursuit of the impossible defines his very existence.

Blood Potency •••••
    Presence ••• (Disarming)

S
    Sidor Grigoriev

"Go from this place, renewed in Purpose, and sin no more, brother. Amen," Sidor replied softly, his voice a low and calm glacier of control. He knew his own limits well enough, but that was no great matter. He was pleased, beneath the darkness. Dillon had done well. It had no doubt, been difficult for him, but it had been complete. Soon.

Yes, soon, he would be ready for the next step.

For now, the confession was over, and the penance was to begin. The Bishop had his own to work on, and he would devote himself to it with all of his ice-cold passion.

Page 4 of 4 First 1 2 3 4
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 0

You do not have permission to view the list of names.