Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

A Prime Example

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 4 of 4 First 1 2 3 4

Toren opens his mouth in surprise. Forces and Death? Such diverse knowledge and experience! On top of that he worked with computers, no wonder Grim joined the Mysterium. "I...must admit, I've never heard of anyone having such a broad knowledge of things. My own interests and practices are so focused, I can't even imagine spreading myself out so far." The comment was an honest one, though Toren recovered from his surprise to form a smile. "I wish you luck on mastering all your interests," he says finally. "You know this has been nice, just hearing about how another Mystagogue approaches the ideals behind the Order. It motivates me to try to expand on my own repertoire." He chuckles, "Maybe I'll catch up to you in Prime at least."

"yes, most mages rather take the other road and focus on one or two arcana. But I found that having a broad vieuw of the other arcana supports the prime arcanum quite nicely. Not to mention that a broad knowledge of the arcana means I'm a lot more versatile then most mages." At Toren's comment he just let out a chuckle. "It was? Most people just say my explinations are boring enough to put an acantus to sleep within a few moments. But maybe its time that we show a little bit more of the applied magic. you mentioned practicing in the basement didn't you?"
    Giant
    WP 5/5
    Health: [][][][][][][][][][]
    mana: 5/5

"Oh certainly!" says Toren getting to his feet excitedly. "Yes, let us retire to the basement, it's just through this door here," he gestured to the door facing inward beneath the stairwell going up. "It's not as comfortable as the upstairs, but the cement foundation creates a more private space, no windows and a dampening of the sound."

As they venture down the basement room is dark and expands the full space of the house. Toren flicks the light switch that illuminates the basement. There are two painted steel poles spaced near the center of the room that are likely supports for the house. The uncarpeted floors are similar to the cement walls. "I think a pipe broke while my grandfather still lived in the house so the carpeting was removed as a result. I haven't really done anything with it since I moved in but I just like the dark open feeling it has."

There is a workbench in the corner with a lamp and a drafting table besides it. Not much of the rest of the space is utilized though a pile of bricks sits awkwardly near the center, some of them in strange bulbous shapes.

"It looks like a very practical workspace. No sense in having something easily flammable in a practice room for magic afterall." Grimoire said in a tone that made it pretty obvious he had experience with that. "Are there any safety procedures you use in here I have to follow? Like Don't touch the bricks. They might explode?" he guessed that the bricks in the middle of the room where used for his studies on matter.
    Giant
    WP 5/5

Toren laughs happily at his guest's observations. "Oh, no, you needn't worry about those. I'm always practicing my Matter skills with those bricks, they've just been altered, eventually they revert back to their original clay material so they're harmless. And I've never really dealt much with flammable material, I suppose if I knew Forces better I'd be able to put that into practice," he says before laughing again. "I also use this space for getting design ideas for my blueprints and drawing them out." He walks over to one of the bricks and picks it up experimentally. "But sometimes I like to see the materials I work with, so..."
      Paradox, fail
    Date Action Roll Result
    2012-07-02 12:46:31 Toren rolls 1 to check paradox for vulgar rote-casting (10 Again) 5 failure
      Lesser Material Transfiguration, 2suxx
    Date Action Roll Result
    2012-07-02 12:47:19 Toren rolls 7 to cast Transmute Earth rote [Science+Matter] (10 Again) 2, 10, 2, 3, 6, 3, 7, 9 2 successes
    Before their eyes the brick turns to wood in his hands, keeping the same exact shape but feeling slightly lighter. Toren then hands the brick to Grim for him to check the results. "Ah, well it's easier knowing the trick behind it, but you can see how it might come in handy. Unfortunately I can't get it to last much more than a day at best. Otherwise I'd think of using it for construction purposes."

Grimoire nodded. "that is unfortunate, maybe with further research you could devise a variant that does sustain itself for longer periods." He said as he examined the piece of wood. "what happens if you burn this piece of wood and then let the spell fade away? Does it just become a heap of dust. Does it revert back completely?" Grimoire questioned the moros.
    Giant
    WP 5/5

"Hmm," hmms the Moros curiously. "I dunno, never tried that one before." He laughs, genuinely amused. "I'll give it a try sometime." Toren glances at his watch idly for a moment and then goes silent, thinking about something. "Well anyways, I actually didn't think our talk today would take this long. Would it be okay if we concluded this discussion for today? It's just that there were some other things I needed to take care of." He felt a little bad for not being more mindful of the time and he wished he had mentioned their limited time earlier. Hopefully his guest wouldn't be offended.

"Sure it isn't a problem at all." Grim said. "It was a very intresting visit. hope it can be repeated soon." He bade his host goodbye and went home.
    Giant
    WP 5/5

Toren sees him to the door and gives a fond farewell to his fellow Mystagogue.

End Scene!

Page 4 of 4 First 1 2 3 4
Closed Thread