Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

The Good Ol' Hockey Game

THREADID

PRE

Leafs and Habs. It is a rivalry that divides and defines a nation. English and French, centuries of Canadian history personified by a pair of organizations, each a symbol of a set of values and a version of the past. The Plains of Abraham refought on the ice.

One team is English Canada, named the Maple Leafs by a World War One veteran who bought the team in 1927 and who wore the same crest as the Olympic athletes of the period. During World War two the owner, Conn Smythe, formed his own artillery battery in the Canadian Army that included a number of his players, other Toronto athletes and even a couple of sports reporters, hell Smythe was wounded in Normandy. There is the legend of Bill Barilko, the last goal he ever scored won the Leafs the Cup in '51, who died in an off season plane crash and had a Tragically Hip song done about him. Hopefully they'll have the Pipe Band from the 48th Highlanders out to play the Maple Leaf Forever. Hope and determination.

The other team is French Canada, Les Canadiens de Montreal. The team of the Rocket, the Pocket Rocket, St. Patrick Roy and a number of other names more important than any Catholic Saint in Quebec. The pride of a culture that has co-existed with the rest of Canada rather uneasily at times, the team being a sign of the beliefs the Province has kept burning for centuries. Passion, fiery passion defines the Habs. Sometimes it burns the opposition, evidenced by all those Stanley Cup banners and sometimes the Finnish team Captain who came back the same season as he beat cancer and who donated half a million dollars to local hospitals gets shredded in the local papers because his french is bad. Passion and faith.

Okay so yeah maybe that whole English Canada vs French Canada doesn't completely apply anymore, with the growing and changing demographics of a nation. You're bound to find a Quebec kid wearing a Pens or Caps jersey now of days and there are six other teams in "English" Canada but still fuck that noise, it's Leafs vs Habs on CBC and the country will be watching and so will I. Satellite television to follow a hockey team? Am I crazy? I don't care I'm an hour from Ron Maclean and Don Cherry and the Leafs have finally got a goalie and a defense that is as good as any in the NHL. Call me a deluded Libertine but I think this could be the year. The Year.

I prep the food as I wait for my guest to arrive, whistling the old Hockey Night in Canada theme and making sure that I don't spill anything on my nice blue home Leafs jersey. I'm expecting Lux and ... and ... I'm kind of nervous. About the game. Yeah the game.

A soft knock sounds on Pulp's door, followed by several other knocks in the rough cadence of Hockey Night in Canada. When the door opens, Pulp finds himself confronted with Lux, the valiant manifestation of Les Habitants pride that resided in Sacramento. She wore an old Habs Jersey, jeans, and was carrying a six-pack of Porter in one hand, and a unopened box of tissues in the other.

"Aaaaaaand...these are for you,"
    she drawled, handing Pulp the box of Kleenex. "For when you lose. Hopefully you didn't put any money on the game," she added with a laugh.

I answered the door and smiled at Lux, noticing within the first five seconds that even the presence of the Habs jersey failed to make her any less attractive. I smiled and took the box of Kleenex. "My favorite brand, how did you know?" I offer a playful wink as she enters the apartment. "I've got munchies, including stuff that is almost impossible to get in this country. I mean seriously how do you call yourself the most gastronomically advanced society on earth and not have ketchup or all dressed favored chips?" I shake my head.

I wonder what Lux thinks of my place. Two desktop computers and a laptop against one wall, a small kitchen, decent sized living room, average bathroom. To be honest it's just a regular place. Well except for the walls. I like posters. I've got my pair of Einstein quotes with his face staring down, tongue playfully out, a single piece of paper with that great line from Jack Layton's last message to Canadians and a ton of others. Hunter S. Thompson, Ghostbusters, Fight Club, Harry Potter, Rage Against The Machine, an old WW2 "motivational poster", JFK's address at Rice University aka that Speech about going to the Moon and one of Bobby Kennedy. The last lacks a quote mainly because, well mainly because just choosing one would be impossible.

"Money, money's really nothing. I have confidence in my team and I'm willing to bet something that means far more to me than money on the outcome of this game." I can never just ask a person out, it's a bit of a flaw I have. It seems that like I am always doing something dramatic. "There is a big Halloween party and since you feel that confident in your team's chances" I shake the Kleenex box "how's about we make things interesting. Leafs win and we go together. An honest date."

Lux came in the apartment and her gaze avidly roved over the decoration and layout of the place, but she paused, ever so slightly, when the word 'date' was echoed into the room.

"Well, the problem with that suggestion is that it only covers your half of the bet. What happens if I win?" Lux returned, recovery her outward demeanor.

Internally, however, warning sirens where blaring and a slide show of every relationship disaster that was her romance life flashed before her minds eye, images and fragmented arguments jamming together into a tumultuous history that all pointed towards one thing: dating was more likely to ruin a relationship than add to it, and the last thing she wanted to do was destroy a new friendship that would be crucial on both a personal level and a political level in the very near future.

Her taste in men had always been dubious, at best, but whatever the reason for the many break-ups in the past, she'd always been a part of the cause. The long and short of it was, she'd never wanted to actually connect her life to someone else's and a large piece of her wasn't sure if that mindset had changed. Sure the world was a new place that bristled and thrummed with untold possibility, but it was also a place that she was still adjusting to, now more than ever do to the massive geographic move she'd made, and it just wasn't time to complicate things by bringing in her love life...

"...But would one date really hurt?" some rebellious piece of her argued.

"Well the fruits of your victory, should the Habs win, are entirely up to you." I say with a smile as I munch of an All-Dressed flavored chip, which helps a bit with the nerves. Yeah I said nerves, I'm not going to lie here, Lux makes me nervous. Well not really Lux but the way I feel about her, since there is a bit of a difference between acknowledging how I feel and then acting on it and those same feelings erasing my own experiences. I've never really seen a good relationship, from my fake Aunt and Uncle down to the crazy chick who stole my copy of Fight Club. Hell the best relationship I've ever seen almost resulted in the cold blooded assassination of one party by the other.

Still I can't help how I feel and well believing that anything is possible in the future means believing that anything is possible.

"I believe you mean when the Habs win,"
    Lux returned, patting Pulp on the shoulder. She chose a few chips to munch, using the simple task of eating to mask her inner conflict. The press of her own history was still strong in her mind's eye, but when she took a moment to really think about it, that's all it was. History. She wasn't just a banker anymore. She was a Thearch; she was one of the Mighty; and fear would only limit how far she could truly go...

"Ok. You have yourself a bet," she said finally.

I smiled, confident in my team and the terms of our little bet. I open the fridge and offer Lux her choice of the cans of coke, orange crush, bottled water, iced tea or Canadian beer with a gesture of my left arm, look out Vanna White. After she'd made her selection, I grabbed my own drink and made my way over to the couch, flipping the television on to the CBC's coverage. For a second I'm homesick, really homesick and as the pregame show pans over the crowd at Young and Dundas square and then outside the ACC, I wish I was there. Cheering with those crowds, filled with that hope, that insane childish hope, that this year would be THE Year. I need to take a quick drink to relax and drive most of those thoughts from my head.

"At times like this I feel like I should be there, in the rink sitting next to Diamond Dog and whatever Raptors' Dance Pack girl he brought as a date, quoting 'Slap Shot' and waiting for the Pipe and Drum band from the 48th Highlanders to do "The Maple Leaf Forever". That always gave me goosebumps."

Lux selected a beer from the fridge and followed Pulp to the couch, saying a brief "thanks" along the way. Sure she had brought beer, but this was a cold beer. Her mind was mostly elsewhere during all the pre-game shenanigans, but the utterance of a voice at her side brought her attention swinging back around.

"Really? I never really liked going to the games in person. Too much noise, too many rules, and not enough leg room. I think I kinda get what you mean, though; Sacramento is no Toronto. Just the other day I found myself walking on autopilot to my favorite bar, which coincidentally happens to be a couple thousand miles away, but I ended up walking into a park instead; which was a nice change. There's just so much about this being a new city that it's hard to lose sight of all the possibilities that lie on the Horizon. I know you saw Toronto through eyes that knew the sight of Truth, but, honestly, when I think back to it I mostly remember the Lie since that's how I experienced it for such a long time."

I take a sip of beer as I listen to Lux, nodding my head as she spoke and thinking about all of the differences between here and home. "I get what you're saying, I mean it was a place you moved to. Me I grew up there, it was what I knew and honestly it was part of who I was. Who I am even. The city was like an old friend and Awakening really only deepened that feeling." I shift in my seat to face Lux. "One of the Council's focuses is on Sleepers and protecting them when needed, that was something that was second nature to me considering that I always felt like they were my people. My first time confronting something nasty I found courage in the fact that if we didn't stop it and it got out then people I knew might be the ones to pay the price." My voice is serious as is my expression.

"Awakening there seemed like a natural progression of things, you know like I was born, I celebrated those two World Series wins, hung out at the Eaton Centre after school, kissed my first girl at the Beaches Jazz Festival and then one day saw the Truth. Sacramento seems like a good town and I love you guys but it has been a real adjustment."

Lux turned to Pulp, gently took his hand, and just looked at him with eyes like twin pools of arctic water. For the moment, words weren't needed to express that she understood that he had sacrificed something, that he was still grieving the loss of what he had thought his future would be, and she didn't need words to show that she wanted to offer comfort. For the moment it was just the two of them; sitting there, holding hands, on the couch, in an apartment in Sacramento, watching a broadcast from a well loved city that was across the continent. The drone of the television sounded on, the smell of snacks drifted through the room, Einstein continued to stick his tongue out at them, and finally she released his hand.

"If I was in your position,"
    Lux began, "I bet you'd say something odd and yet oddly profound to help me, but all I can think of to say is this: wherever we are, that's where we are. You're home, your territory, your space, moves with you; it's in your mind. So, obviously you're right, there's still a lot of adjustment involved here, but try to think of this as an enrichment, a second yet equal home that you're building in your geographic mindscape in addition to Toronto. Furthermore, let me help you with that. I'm still trying to add to my own mental home...pun maybe intended," she continued with a wink, "and the first thing I'm going to do is try to learn the Gossip of the city. Just note that I do NOT mean gossip of the people in the city. I'm talking about learning the history, the geography, the types of architecture, the types of trees, and just any other type of minute detail that is surprisingly important when it comes to constructing a mental view of a place. Just like with your TV, it's little things that make up the picture."

I can only really offer Lux a genuine smile backed up with some real affection, I know that she's right and her advice is damn good council. I give her hand a little squeeze, my smile widening. "I can see that you simply go for profound" I wink "and it works for you. It's some damn good advice and something that I will make a real effort to work on." My eyes convey just how much her concern and words meant and they seriously meant a lot, in fact just the fact that she cared made me feel a lot less homesick. I'm usually pretty good with the whole standing alone thing but well I can deal with leaving most of my friends, leaving my positions but the city was the toughest. It was part of who I was as a person, beyond being a Awake or Asleep, it was just something I had always thought would be there. Still I'll get pass it, it's what I do.

"You're right, I need to let Sacramento just be Sacramento and stop trying to compare it to Toronto. Also thank you. You're a great woman Lux for trying to cheer up and talk sense to a hard headed fool like me." I smile, with a touch of a tease in it, and hold her hand gently, just content to enjoy the moment.

"Well that's something to check off my bucket list then...'say something wise without sounding like an ass'," she laughed after a moment, a sunburst of a smile breaking over her features. "I'm glad that that helped you some, Pulp. That's what I always say to myself when I get homesick and it usually helps. Besides, I'd probably be in worse shape if we'd never run into each other my first night here. It'd be a shame if I didn't return the favor."

She retrieved her hand from her friends grasp, though, trying not to send the wrong message, and ate a few chips to cover the gesture.

I'm not going to lie to myself, I'm rather disappointed when Lux moved her hand away from mine. However I'm smiling from her compliment about helping her back when she first arrived, and the disappointment is kept in my own private thoughts. Further self reflection is interrupted by the teams lining up for the opening face off. "I ... your welcome, I was really glad to see you as well." I turn my attention to the game with a pull on my beer and a hand full of all dressed chips. The puck is dropped and game action begins and well the first few minutes are ugly, at least from my perspective. The Leafs come out flat, the Habs came out pressing and only James Reimer standing on his head in net prevents Montreal from taking an early lead.

Me I'm on the edge of the couch when the Habs get another power play, watching PK Subban run the point through the gaps in my fingers as five minutes of pressure turns into ten minutes of serious pressure. Toronto are on their heels and playing like a bunch of drunken bums, it's like the beginning of a sports movie, when the heroic band of losers are getting their asses kicked in order to establish just how bad they are. If moral victories count the score when the period ends is still 0-0.

As the teams leave the ice and CBC goes to a commercials I turn to Lux with a weak smile. "Things are looking good for you."

Lux fidgeted like a kid with an overactive imagination trapped in sunday-school throughout most of the first period. The Habs weren't letting her down, but the game was carrying an emotional weight in its ebb and flow and it sent her nerves ringing with the imagined need to do something. Normally she would have just cheered louder and fired off a constant stream of ribbing about how badly the Leafs were doing, but she really didn't want to piss her friend/host off, and she knew that the game might carry the same weight for Pulp as it did for her. So she crossed her legs, uncrossed her legs, re-crossed her legs; picked up her drink, set it down, took a sip, transferred 'drink' hands, ate a chip, set her drink down, ate another chip, took another drink, uncrossed her legs, took another drink, took another drink, and finally sat still when the commercials began pouring out of the TV and Pulp turned to her again.

"Looking good? But of course. What did you expect? We are the oldest team in the league," she returned, affecting the accent and tone a rich Parisian might use when talking to a beggar. "Obviously the tied score means that the Leafs will never gain the upper hand. It's simply beyond them."

The CBC graphics hit the screen and cause me to seriously question my decision to let this all hang on a fucking bet. Four shots. FOUR FUCKING SHOTS?!!? Sundin would have that in a single shift. I sigh and finish my beer, standing up and beginning to make my way towards fridge. "I need another beer, can I get you one?" I ignore Don Cherry's latest rant and open a beer for myself and one for Lux if she wants one. Mentally my brain is kicking itself for this idea, I should have just asked Lux out but I ... I just got the feeling that no matter what I did directly, she'd say no with another explanation about work or getting used to the city or Mage stuff. I just know how I feel about her and well I need a chance to show her what she means to me.

"I have faith in them and I know they'll come back, sometimes it pays to stick with something no matter how badly things have gone in the past." I flash Lux a genuine smile, my overall expression a bit softer and gentler than usual. "Eventually patience and fortitude pay off." I take a drink of beer and turn my attention back to the game as the second period begins with the Leafs short handed again. I'm pretty much resigned to another period of disappointment when a Habs defenseman pitches in too far and gets caught in deep. Three on one shorthanded .... a shot ... rebound ... the puck is just sitting there in the crease ... no ... not again .... Lombardi circles around the net and chips it in ... 1-0 Leafs ... the arena goes crazy.

I just smile at Lux. "See what I mean."

Lux raised an eyebrow at Pulp, picking up on the double meaning in his words about patience and perseverance, and she decided to take the proffered beer as the next period began. She was in for another 20 minutes of anxious watching, but the beer helped steal some away some of the tension and the game became enjoyable again. That is, enjoyable until the Leafs broke the tie on a stroke of luck, and Lux threw her hands into the air.

"Idiot!" she cried, gesturing vividly at the Canadien Goalie. "On t'a bercé trop près du mur?! Merde!" ("Idiot! Did you get hit on the head as child?! Fuck!")

The Obrimos sprang up from the couch, grabbed another beer, muttering all the while, and then she collapsed back into her seat.

"Sorry, sorry. I'd just rather see the Habs lose because they're a worse team, not because the Goalie was incompetent. He should have had that!"

For my part I just laugh and smile. "Actually that rebound was sitting there forever, don't blame poor Carey Price, blame the defenseman who pitched and his partner who can't clear a rebound." I take another sip of beer as the game goes on, the Leafs playing a lot better this period and the action going back and forth with Toronto having a slight edge the balance of play. They have a couple of more chances to add to the lead but when the buzzer ends and the promos for 'After 40 Minutes' begin, the score is still Leafs 1 - Habs 0.

"You can pick the costumes."

"A small mercy," Lux returned, lightly socking Pulp on the arm. "But speaking of Costumes, did you hear about the bet that Ahriman lost? He has to show up dressed as Dr. Frank N Furter from the Rocky Horror Picture Show. I.e. he has to go in drag. Which might not be a bad look on him," she continued, snickering briefly. "Um, but yeah, I was thinking that we could show Ahriman some support by also going as characters from the movie. I think I'll pick Eddie. I've always had a soft spot for bikers that play the saxophone."

Just my luck that all the beautiful women I know are into bikers, Meatloaf or bikers played by Meatloaf in great Cult films. I shake my head and focus back on the game before 'Paradise By The Dashboard Light' starts playing in the back of my head, thank god it's hockey, I might be killed by the irony if it were baseball. So beer, yes beer. "I'm game but with my luck I'm willing to bet that everyone already has me written down as Brad." I grin and laugh, focusing my attention back on the game. Yes the game. 1-0 with 20 minutes left to go. I'm not nervous. Totally SOOO not neverous.

Have I mentioned how not nervous I am?

You know Einstein once summed up the theory of Relativity by stating that it was really like this, and I'm paraphrasing here, "When you're courting a beautiful girl, an hour feels like a minute. When you're sitting on a red hot poker, a minute feels like an hour. That is Relativity." I get the notions of perception and let me tell you right now I'm feeling it. The puck is dropped and clock seems to slow down, it's like I'm fourteen again, it's Friday and I'm stuck in grade 9 Math waiting for the clock to hit 2:51. Wait puck's back at the point, Phaneuf shoots and Leafs score!!, 2-0.

Now just need to hold the lead, which is easier said than done as the Habs begin to press. Toronto's not on their heels but they're protecting the lead, killing the clock and playing smart. I know it's just smart hockey for the first game of the year and I know how quickly a two goal lead can disappear if the team holding it plays recklessly, but I want them to be aggressive, I'm not feeling comfortable with this one until the score is 5 or 6 to 0. I'm not even eating chips. Yeah.

And then it happens, the game finally ends. Leafs 2 - Habs 0. I can't even make a snarky comment.

The end of the game finally came, and Lux retrieved a fourth beer. "Well...here's to Canadian Hockey," she declared raising her bottle in salute to her losing team and to the lost bet. She was disappointed, but now that the game was over, and the bet was resolved, the tension faded away like frost in the noon-day sun, and smiling became easier.

"You could always go as the narrator," Lux offered, taking a sip. "Ya know, the guy in the smoking jacket? Oh, crap, I forgot what he was called. The, uh, psychologist? I mean, someone has to pretend to be sensible for Halloween, right?"

"Well it is a time for pretending to be something your not right?" I reply with a grin and a wink as I return her salute with a drink of my own beer. "The Criminologist, an Expert. That could really work since considering the cast of Rocky Horror and our friends, someone might need to keep most of their clothes on. Just in case." I munch on a chip and hope that Lux looks better in her costume than Meatloaf did in his, not that I have an issue with Meatloaf or his musical collection, Paradise By The Dashboard light is one of my favorite songs. "Besides I'm a university professor, I should have a smoking jacket and extra large dictionary around somewhere." My tone is light, for the first time in years I'm actually excited for Halloween.

"Better than my two original ideas, Hunter S. Thompson or the whole Cabal dressing up as Hogwarts students."

"Ok, bet or no, if you had wanted me to go as a Harry Potter thing, we would not be going. Fictitious kid wizards is where I draw the line,"
    she declared, pantomiming the action. "Besides, like you said, someone, in addition to me, has to be sane that night."

I put my hands up in mock surrender. "Okay, Okay, it's alright Eddie, I don't have an axe." I try flashing a smile to hopefully disarm the angry French Canadian girl in front of me, Habs fans don't take losing very well.

Yes I learned that the hard way. Don't ask. Really, don't ask.

"But how do I know that," Lux returned, arching a brow sharply, her eyes like flashing blue chips beneath a strip of flame. The Obrimos held the look, unblinking, pouring a challenge into her gaze, and then she abruptly fell back onto the couch with a laugh. Lux took a sip of beer and then sat upright again, laughing softly.

"I'm not angry about the Harry Potter thing, Pulp, I'm just letting you know that there is a line there. Cross it and there will be more than a notification via owl mail,"
    she finished, trying to look stern despite the laughter in her eyes.

I take a rather large drink of beer, since I am still slightly unsure of my safety and not wishing for a Forces Mage to blow out my TV and computers, I decide that maybe poking the dragon is a bad idea. Oh well I've always enjoyed most portrayals of Magic, Wizards and Willworkers in the media, stuff like Harry Potter, the Night Watch series, the Dresden Files, all captured my attention and honestly I've found them relevant to my own existence. Well one of the major themes of those works always is the concept of Power, its proper and moral use and it's effect on those who have it within them. Yes our choices and how they effect us, which given that our biggest issue is usually hubris, allows me to find common cause with fictional characters and examine my own life. Besides sometimes I need the pick me up.

"Okay so no Gryffindor scarf for you as a Christmas present then." I playfully back away a step with a wink. "So what do you like? I'm sure that you have a favorite movie, book, band or something."

"That's...kind of an abrupt switch," Lux returned, somewhat taken aback. "You've still got a month before Christmas gets here, ya know. There's no rush. Besides, what I really need isn't something fun, so I'll have to get back to you on that."

PRE

"Abrupt? We were joking about Harry Potter and then I asked what kind of stuff you like, you know movies and books, that kind of stuff." Internally I'm kicking myself for making such a mess of things, I'm just trying to get to know more about her and seemingly fucking up at every turn. Why am I so damn worried about screwing this up?

"Mkay. If you say so, Father Christmas," Lux replied, her mouth quirked into an amused grin. "I'm pretty boring when it comes to movies, though. I like comedies, mostly, and the occasional character study, but I don't watch too many films. Let's see...I think In Bruges has to be one of my quirkier favorites, but for more mainstream I'd have to say that Sideways is definitely in my top 10. As for books, I'd have to say that my favorite book is the Alchemist. I ran across it in a bookstore after I got out of the Hospital and...I don't know, it just really helped me adjust to being Awake. In fact, I wouldn't really be surprised if Coelho isn't Awakened himself," Lux intimated, brushing a few rebellious strands of hair out of her face. She glanced towards the droning television, her mind lost momentarily in a breeze of introspection.

"Um...what about you?" she finally said.

"I'd probably have to say that my favorite movie of all time would be Ghostbusters, followed by Fight Club and with Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Life of Brian and the fifth sort of changes on a day by day basis depending on my mood, but has included Inception, Spiderman 2, X2 and Slap Shot at various points." The movies should be no surprise to anyone who has known me for more than a half hour. "As for books, well yeah the Harry Potter series, the Dresden Files, the Night Watch series, most stuff by Hunter S. Thompson and No Logo. They might not sound like the most impressive list but they've all had an impact of helping me understand the Awakening and make sense of the power I possess." My voice actually sounds thoughtful as I turn to look Lux right in the face, clearly interested in what she has to say. "I've never read the 'The Alchemist', how did it help you?"

"It...just helped fully open my eyes to the fact that more lies between heaven and earth then existed, and still exists, in my philosophy,"Lux said after a moment, a smile lighting up her face. "Also, it's partially about a boy who learns that every human can become a god...which is something that the Ladder also says...Beyond that, though, you'll just have to read it sometime, Pulp."

For half a second I want to make a Hamlet reference at the idea of there being more things out there than are dreamed of in a normal person's philosophy but I prefer my pop culture references to be a little more modern. Also I'm trying to engage Lux in conversation and a trivial remark about a book that has had such an important impact on her new life would probably not be the way to accomplish that. I'm trying to show that I'm not as much of an idiot as she and the rest of this city might think, that I can actually hold a real conversation without being a jerk. I know how the way I act can cause a certain reaction in others and with Lux I'm trying to show that I'm not the asshole or moron the world thinks I am.

"I shall put it on my list." Okay dumbass engage, ask her about herself. "It's really interesting how a book can help you make sense of something so surreal and develop your own way to put this whole new world into perspective. If you don't mind me asking, what was your biggest adjustment? I mean you had a career and a life all planned out and ahead of you, it must have been an even greater shock to Awaken."

"Oh, you'd be surprised," Lux laughed, taking a moment to finishing off her beer. "There honestly wasn't much of a future that I had envisioned. My life was all about putting in the time, getting the money, and then losing myself in whatever club, bottle, trip or any other escapist thing that came my way. To put it in more precise terms, my life was like a perfect case study on the pleasure principal or the example philosophy professors would use to define an uninformed existentialist," she continued, a small, self deprecating grin set on her lips.

"The biggest adjustment that I had to make after Awakening was realizing that I'd basically wasted most of my life, and that, in a way, I was doing harm because of everything that I didn't do, or didn't contribute to. The second biggest adjustment that came was accepting that, yes, that was me in the past, and that now I am going to move forward and make a difference."

She set her empty bottle on the coffee table and then looked at her companion quizzically. "What about you, Pulpy? You've always struck me as charmingly progressive, but the process of Waking Up always shakes the foundations."

I was listening with rapt attention to Lux, smiling at the notion of her being an "uninformed existentialist" and considering how the her experiences had made her the person she was tonight. I understood that the question might be rebounding back to me and I finished off my beer as I consider my reply for a second. After placing the empty bottle next to hers I realize that the decision has already been made for me, you either trust someone or you don't and it's something I decided awhile ago with her.

"I awoke just before my 18th birthday, about a month and a half into my first year of University. It began as a slow burn, for about a week things just seemed more and more "off" and then one morning at breakfast I was in the residence cafeteria munching on a bowl of honey nut Cheerios and suddenly the hot chick from room 406 at the other end of the table was a Demon. I got up and well I wasn't in Kansas anymore." The memory of the whole thing still causes a major emotional reaction and I look down at my feet, which were bloody and ripped up bad by the whole ordeal. I couldn't walk properly for a week after.

"It was an easier shift for me because, well because I didn't have anything really solid in my life before that. I never knew my parents and I was raised by an Aunt and Uncle who hated each other and resented me for the being the reason they had to stay together, so I didn't have a family tie to the old world and considering my age and the resent transition of moving out, I didn't have any major ties with anything. I guess I really only had to adjust to this whole new concept of the world and not have to cut ties that other people might have."

"No shift is ever easy in my experience, and I know for a fact that going through such a sudden shift without a foundation to cling to can be especially tough. Still though...I'm glad it happened," Lux replied, patting Pulp on the arm. She let a small silence build, giving Pulp some time, but then her smile suddenly turned a trifle mischievous and she leaned closer. "I mean, if it hadn't, then I wouldn't be able to hijack my neighbor's Dish-TV signal, and hey, that bill get's expensive. I mean, meeting some of the worlds most amazing people is nice and all, but free tv...Can't beat it."

I give an honest laugh at the notion of free cable, nodding my head in understanding that yeah, getting the good channels does cost. I lean in slightly closer and touch her gently on her arm, while I was laughing about the effect of Forces on television signals, my eyes are expressing a gratitude for hers on the nature of awakening. I wasn't looking for sympathy but it's nice to know that someone I've come to care so much about could empathize with the confusion and frustration of a worried kid as he asked why, when his soul had seemingly been judged, had he been sent to "Hell". On some level she'd understood and told me it was okay, without actually having to say a word about my direct experiences. If this was Hollywood we'd both continue to lean forward until our lips met in some glorious kiss.

As much as I wish it were, this isn't Hollywood so I stop my body where it is. "Okay then, so I guess the next game will be at your place since you magically have access to every channel in the known universe." My tone is playful and teasing, it's clear that regardless of the topic I'm enjoying the company of the person beside me.

"Um...slight problem with that. Whatever signal I pick up only goes here," she explained, tapping her head, "so I don't think that would be very enjoyable for you." She leaned back, then better and snagged a handful of chips, and settled into the couch once more. "I could always do a movie night or something like that, I suppose. We might have slightly differing tastes in movies, but I'm sure there's some common ground there."

"Movie night sounds good and taste in movies is simply solved by making it a double feature and we each pick one." I shift against the couch, a quick glance at the National News on the screen. "I'm sure that my taste won't be that terrible, I promise that I shall keep Plan 9 From Outer Space locked up." A playful grin is flashed for a half second. "Oh by the way I was going to write to one of my friends back home and have them send me stuff you can't get here in the States and a couple of Poppies, is there anything you miss?"

"Nope," Lux replied with a smile. "I appreciate the offer but...I am home, and the one thing that I do miss isn't going to fit in a shipping box." The image of her mother, with a hesitant smile, passing her a small package in a trendy cafe flashed through her mind, and the Obrimos' smile turned mirthful and wry.

Lux's features seem to be at once both here and somewhere else, which isn't really an issue for me since I've been known to do it from time to time. I take the moment to munch on a chip with my own reflection on the word "home", partly in admiration of Lux's ability to have made such an easy transition to this new city. I mean commitment to the city and the cause I can do but the notion of "home" is just such a difficult thing for me to get my head around. While I know a number of Mages who call whatever city they're in "home" or even use that name to refer to where they went during their Awakening, for me I guess that I am as much a produce of my past as my potential future and the good and bad of almost a half century spent in one geographical area has had its effect. I might be a Sacramento Mage committed to the fight against the Lie here in this city but I'll always carry where I was born and grew up with me wherever I go.

Can this place be "home"? I ask myself in my head.

I glance over at the beautiful girl with a far away smile on her face and realize that it could be "home" one day, that one day using that word to describe this city would not be an insult to my own memories.

"Good thoughts?"

"Oh...I suppose. They're like good chocolate: bittersweet," Lux replied, nodding. "Sorry, I seem to be rather far away tonight. Which is odd, honestly, given how intense the game was, but c'est la vie...How about you? Good thoughts, or just the usual ones?"

I smile at the notion of a Quebec woman talking about chocolate, remembering a funny survey result from when I was kid about how women from Quebec preferred chocolate to sex. It's sidetrack that causes thoughts about the person I once was, the main question being how much of that kid remains inside of me. It's a question I know the answer to, that part of the foundation of who we are is set before we even understand the what we're doing. Still we can always change, always grow, something I see so clearly in Lux's words on 'home'.

"Interesting thoughts, some very far away and some near as can be." I shift on the couch in order to grab another chip, grabbing a pair at the last second and looking at Lux with a bit of a smile as I hold one of them out to her. "Ketchup Chip for your thoughts, far away as they might be."

"Normally I charge more,"
    she laughed, taking the chip, "but tonight I'll make an exception due to the gravity of this thought! Aw, but wait. How shall I put this so I don't utterly blow your mind," she continued, pausing for dramatic effect, one hand stroking her chin with all the pensiveness of a Princeton professor. "I was just thinking about, dare I say it, the past, and the notion of home, and how they reflect on me today. Shocking and original, I know...due try to keep your brain-casing intact."

"Well I see that great minds are again thinking alike." I smiled at Lux, half teasing about the chip comment and half sort of serious about the conversation we were having. "Always happens around this time of the year, anniversary of my Awakening is coming up and I can get a bit reflective at times." I shrug and grab another chip. "So how does the past reflect on you today?"

"Well, the past brought me to where I am and who I am today, and while knowledge lies in my past, only the future lies ahead. I guess that might seem like a loaded answer, but it's the only one I can give with any sort of confidence,"
    Lux shrugged. "How about you? You've actually got quite a bit of history, so I bet you've got an interesting answer. Oh, wait a sec. If we're going to get philosophical tonight, I think I'll grab another drink. You want one?" she continued, getting up from the couch.

"Yes please." There is a momentary thought in my head, born from probably watching too much Married ... With Children as a kid, that this moment totally proved the complete and utter beauty of Lux. After all, any girl who brought you beer was totally a keeper. "Scary enough, I agree. I guess that a focus on the future is the hallmark of a Libertine however I don't disregard the past, especially my own." I lean back against the couch. "The decisions we made are the things that formed who we are in the present, we react to the world and will continue to react to the world in certain ways that are ultimately shaped by our experiences and past reactions to them. Even when we change our feelings towards something we're making that decision with the past in mind, even if it is only to reject the impact that the past would have on the present and the future." Yeah this conversation was going to need at least another drink.

Suddenly another drink was presented to Pulp, soon followed after by the Obrimos holding the drink.

"There you are," Lux said, crossing over to sink back onto her side of the couch. She opened her beer and took a small sip before she replied. "Agreed. Like you said, we are more than the sum of our experiences, but that is definitely a large part of the equation. Which, sometimes, makes me wonder who I would be if some of my experiences suddenly disappeared, just like that," she continued, snapping her fingers to demonstrate her point. "I mean, it depends on which experiences where removed, I suppose, but its interesting to think about."

I opened the beer and took a large drink befitting the philosophical bent of the conversation as I thought for a moment about Lux's words. "Well as the saying goes, "'if' is the middle work in 'life'". Playing the guessing game of what would have happened 'if' is interesting but it can be a bit dangerous." I take another drink and think about the pins laying in their dresser drawer, a thought which makes the bottoms of my feet tingle. "As much of a past that I have, I prefer self reflection on my mistakes over wondering about 'if'. For better or worse those experiences happened and I believe that focusing on them as a lesson, as something that can help me not make the same mistakes again, makes them too valuable a resource to forget about them." Another sip of beer and I lean back slightly, my voice becoming lower.

"Still I sometimes feel the same way about my past, there are a lot of things I wish I could bury and just forget about but what I did and more importantly how I reacted to what I did are the things that made me who I am today." My voice take on a bit of a far away cast again. "I've been thinking a lot about the early days lately, back when I was 18, 19, 20 year old wet behind the ears Libertine, working with my Mentor and his Cabal for any advance we could make for the Free Council. Being forced to sit at the back of Consilium wide meetings, our questions and concerns ignored. For a long time I wished that I could all those days disappear, to be able to bury all of those old biases in a single grave and forget about them forever." I take another drink. "If I'd done that I doubt I would have made it through the last year and been here tonight. I would have missed out on the chance to build something good here, missed out on this moment." I smile. "Which would have been terrible since I haven't won a bet against a Habs fan in years."

"Oh, that would have been sooo terrible," Lux half laughed, taking another sip of her beer. She paused, then, momentarily, words building behind her teeths' barrier, on the tip of flowing past, and then Lux just shrugged and let them come out.

"Now, I don't want to diminish your point, because I agree, but burying the past is not what I'm taking about, Pulp, not what I'm talking about. I was saying: 'what if a part of your past just disappeared, flash, gone, like it had never existed. What would change? Who would suddenly be inside your head compared with who you are now? What parts of your character would be naturally there, what parts would the fates have decided to keep around?' That's what I wonder about, sometimes, because who knows what 'ifs' are truly possible in this world...Not that I imagine that will ever happen," she explained, holding her hands up, "but if we are going to get philosophical, we have to engage with what might normally be BS."

"I'm not talking about burying the past but of how our experiences make us who we are and the decisions we made, good and bad, are the things that had led us where we are now." I take another drink. "The impact of losing a specific moment of your past would be determined by the moment in question, which I remarked on." I take a longer pull. A really long pull, leaving only 1/4 of the beer in the bottle. "However if we're going to ponder the notion of what would be left, well I just don't know. It's the old debate of nature vs nurture, about what really determines who and what we are. Is there something "right" or "wrong" with us from birth, something that we can never shake, some sort of taint that will be with us forever. Fate always hovering over us and we're unable to escape it."

I finish the rest of the beer and my knuckles lose their color, fingers wrapped around the empty bottle as if it were a talisman against certain thoughts. "I don't think there are ever any easy answers to questions like that. Of course it's always possible to erase memories and with enough practice a talented Mind Willworker could fundamentally change how a person thinks and what they remember about certain events." Ever since the trial I've been a bit ... fearful ... of my abilities, still willing to develop them, still willing to use them but now I understand that actions have consequences, forever wondering that if I didn't see the worst of Mind in action, so close to home, would I go down the same path as others. "Sorry."

"Right. That was what I was meaning. You, however, did open your argument by talking about 'burying the past', so that, I don't know, threw me off."
    She shrugged and raised her bottle to her lips, about to take another sip, and then set the bottle on the of the coffee-table once more, staring at it like an anorexic faced with a giant German chocolate cake. "Ya know, on second thought, I think I won't have another drink...behold, another difference between past and present Lux. Although it seems like present Lux is still good about inserting her foot into her mouth. I'm the one who should be apologizing. I didn't mean to bring up...something painful," she continued, thinking back to what had happened to Pulps friend and cabal-mate, and how the once loyal companion had been turned into a murderer because of some of the very things she had been talking about. "Ya know, my mentor, Mercurius, also walked the Path of the Iron Gauntlet, and he was always rather touchy when it came to topics of the Mind. I guess I never really payed it much attention. I'm sorry for bringing it up."

"It's not your fault that I've got to get better at dealing with my own past." I smile to let Lux know that it was my hang ups at fault here and not hers. Now I'm left with the question of trust, I'd sworn to put my life on the line for her if needed but some things are more important than life or death. Not the whole truth, that'll I'll probably take to the grave just like the specter of my grandfather, but something to allow her to understand, to eventually be able to make the fair choice to return the affection I carry for her. Do I trust her? Are my emotions free of any taint?

"It's just that when I apply the concept of nature vs nurture to my own life, things become rather complicated for me. I feel that the person I am might be one of the best outcomes that were possible and given the temptations of my abilities, the idea of who I might be if a part of my past disappeared completely is something that honestly scares me." My tone and the look on my face convey the truth of that statement. "If some of the experiences that made me who I am today were removed, well I don't know who I would be and if I was worse ... well then those traits would have always been there inside of me." My voice goes quiet. "Are there inside of me."

Lux blinked and just stared at Pulp, eyes like twin pools of melting ice, her thoughts lying unseen beneath the surface. Her gaze flickered over her drink, which sat forlornly at the edge of the table, a hand brushed a strand of stray hair behind her ear and then it landed gently on the Pulp's shoulder. The Obrimos leaned forward, looking directly into Pulp's eyes, and said, "They are inside you.

"No, wait, listen to me," she continued, squeezing his shoulder gently, "please. What I mean is, those traits are inside you, just as they're in me, and in everyone else. Every day that we step out the door, we're faced with challenges that determine who we are, but the fact that you've made the choices that brought you here means that, no matter what devil you see in the mirror, there is still so much goodness inside of you. Anyone is capable of doing anything, those 'things' are in everyone, but you've made the choice to fight the good fight, and I think that even if you lost your past you'd still find yourself back here, fighting the good fight one day."

Those blue eyes try for a soul gaze but this is reality and not the Dresden Universe and thus they only find my hazel eyes staring back at them and the Obrimos is spared a look at my naked soul. Still her words are a great comfort as Lux seems to really, honestly believe that there is something good about who I was, deep down, and I'm sort of speechless. "I .... ah ... um ... er ... don't know what to say." Okay not sort of speechless I guess.

She said what I know, that those negative desires were apart of me and apart of everyone else but I'd always felt, no not felt, known, that there was something wrong with me. I ... she ... thinks that some part of me is good, well good enough that I am not fundamentally damned? "I know that. I understand those desires and I see them in everyone. I feel them." That was our common point.

"You believe that if all my experiences were stripped away, and the only thing left of me was my bare soul, that I would be considered good?" The question is utterly genuine and my voice is low and contains my honest need to hear her reply. I don't usually judge myself on opinions of others but Lux ... well Lux is not an other to me.

There was a slight hesitation before Lux responded. Her first instinct had been to offer comfort, solace, but when she took the time to examine her words, she heard the faint ring of truth resonate off them. Everyone had potential to descend into the pits of selfishness and destruction or ascend into the heights of sacrifice and creation, but those who embraced one path would resonate with it, and choose to tread it during any number of lifetimes.

"Yes, I do. You question yourself, you struggle to do what you think is right, and thus there is a part of you that is Just and Good and Kind. I mean, your not perfect,"
    she smiled, giving his shoulder another squeeze, "but you're still someone I admire. Not many Awakened would put up with an annoying, biased, young Thearch strutting around in her intellectual pumps, and not many Awakened would dare to stand before a coup so they could question whether it was Just before the dust settled. I know that experiences and choices drove you to take those actions, but you still needed a foundation,a well-spring of patience and perseverance, a good nature, to see those things through."

For a second part of me wants to instantly rebel against her words, not because I really believe her to be lying but because part of me almost doesn't want to believe what she is saying is true. I know that it sounds crazy and hell I know that it is crazy but the impressions left from a kid who had his soul judged by the primal powers of the world and was sent to "Hell" are tough things to shake even when you know how crazy they sound/are.

It's the eyes that do it though. Those beautiful blue eyes as deep as any ocean inform me that she really believes what she is saying and well ... that is something that threatens to make a dent in my thick head and really stop assuming the worse about myself. "You were never "an annoying, biased, young Thearch strutting around in her intellectual pumps", you were an intelligent and well spoken person from another Order who I could have a rational discussion with. I was glad to see you here and your passion, your fire, is something I greatly admire." My hand moves to hers, the one she'd placed on my shoulder and touches it gently. "I don't know if you're right about me but the fact that you believe it, honestly and truly believe it, makes me want to live up to the standard you've set. To be that person."

PRE

"I didn't set the standard, Monsieur Pulp, but I'll still hold you to that," she replied, smiling softly, cupping his hand in return.

"Now, come on, up on your feet. Let's go for a walk, drink the air, give our mind's something else to think about," she said suddenly, rising, brushing a phantom strand of hair behind an ear. "Besides, I think I saw an ice cream place not too far from here and I could use some chocolate on chocolate about now."

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for Ice Cream eh?" I smile with a teasing expression, willing to go along with Lux's change of topics to something with more earthly rather than philosophical weight. "I'll even buy, the gracious victor that I am." I get up from the couch with the teasing smile still on my face. "Chocolate on chocolate sounds good, as does Cotton Candy. Maybe combine the two." I give Lux and smile and a look of appreciation, for everything she just did, hoping that he understands just how much it really means.

"I think I'll just stick with the chocolate if its the same to you," Lux laughed, moving towards the door. She returned Pulp's grin with one of her own, hints of relief and something mercurial swimming below the surface. "I can't turn down the offer of free ice cream though...and thank you, for more than just the ice cream."

I'm pretty sure that Lux is a glad for the change in topics as I am, things were getting a little too philosophical there for a second and I am wondering just how close we came to an episode of Doctor Phil or Oprah there on the couch. Then again on the opposite side it's nice to know that we both seem to bring out the best in each other, even when we're both feeling the tug of the past and a secret worries of the future. As we leave my place the grin turns into a real smile, a real smile that lays bare my feelings for her, a real smile that I hide by turning in order to lock the door behind us. I don't want to scare her away.

"You are most welcome, for more than just the company for the ice cream." Smooth. Oh so smooth. As we begin to walk away from the door a goofy smile appears on my face and I just can't help it, something overtakes me.

"I Love Rocky Road ..." I can't contain a cheeky grin. Like I said, Smooth.

Closed Thread