Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

One Night in Bangkok

THREADID
    A
    Ariana Donovan

Having received a call from Sidor for another evening of conversation a few days before, Ariana was on her way to the directions he gave. He was at the Ridge Motel tonight and she was to meet him in the lobby. She thought it was slightly peculiar at first, but considering his temporary exile, it made some sense. She was still a little apprehensive of the situation, not because of Sidor’s curse but of the past.

In black slacks, a deep purple blouse and black blazer, Ariana entered the lobby which was run down and not the greatest of appearances. She did not stray far from the door while she waited in case a clerk ever came to the front desk.

Sidor had a little freedom of movement in the motel, as long as he didn't bother the clients. Considering that he was a guest, he'd mostly spent his time in the Ridge quietly reading through his Testament, looking for an answer that wasn't coming easily. But he hoped it would come soon. At the very least, he was pleased to regard that his will was still strong. The Beast thirsted madly, but he was commanding it, not the other way around. Despite that, he did seem a little more drawn and his skin was sitting more tightly on his bones than usual. No amount of will could remove the physical changes caused by hunger.

He spotted Ariana entering and loitering near the door in the mostly deserted lobby and stepped away from his spot against the wall. He was stood in the shadows, as he normally did when near any sort of kine, even if the ones here belonged quite firmly to Anton.

"Dobryj vecher, Miss Donovan," the Russian Haunt said, his accented voice sounding quite sharp in the empty room. "I trust you found the place without a problem?"

Ariana smiled with a slight inquiry at the Russian greeting. She had grown accustomed to his accent, but her familiarity with the language was not that great. "Good evening Mr. Grigoriev. Your instructions were very succinct, thank you." She smiled kindly. "How have you been?" She did not want to ask any questions in the lobby that would cause any concern.

"Good evening," Sidor translated offhand. "Less formal than zdravstvuyte, more so than privyet." He gestured towards the staircase behind him. "I have been as well as can be expected, given the circumstances. We should probably head upstairs; I prefer not to loiter in the corridors. It disturbs the clientele." He said this in a tone of voice that implied that wasn't entirely unamusing to him, but it clearly wasn't something he was going to encourage. "My room is quite private; we would not be overheard."

Moving to follow Sidor up the staircase, she nodded her head. I am sure if there were some people in the lobby, they would probably have some interesting ideas. "Yes, that is probably a good idea." She looked around a little as they walked. "The Russian language seems a bit different from most European languages." She mentioned, an also noticed when he said it was a less formal greeting.

"Western European Languages only," Sidor said casually. "It is Slavic; that is to say, it has a great deal in common with languages like Polish and Hungarian. Although we borrow a surprising amount from the Romance Languages, of all things. Are you interested in linguistics?" He unlocked the door to the room he was staying in and stood aside to let her enter first.

It was a typical, low-quality motel room, although it didn't look like the bed had been slept in. There weren't many personal possessions around. A well thumbed copy of a book with a neatly printed Cyrillic title on leather bindings was on the bedside table, next to a battered chess set. A Makarov pistol was disassembled on the dresser and apparently in the middle of being cleaned.

Ariana walked into the room at a normal pace and slightly glanced around. She noticed the writing on the book matched the style of the letter he had sent her. "I know very little of foreign languages. When I was mortal, I only learned a few things so it would make ordering at Italian or French restaurants easier." She said as she sat in the chair next to a small table. "Linguistics do interest me a great deal. I think I may have mentioned I have spoke to people with many accents, so my curiosity is well rooted." At times she wondered if her curiosity was only seen as that, or intrusive.

"Slavic seems a little," Ariana gestured her hand as if searching for an appropriate word. "Austere maybe. Yet still you are right there is a bit of a soft quality from what I have heard before." It was not often that her face looked as if she was having a hard time describing something.

"Russian intonation is more broad than the more discrete English," Sidor said, sitting down on the other unstable chair in the room. The shadows on his face were strangely subdued at the moment, seeming quite settled to just sit there in defiance of the light and do nothing more. "In addition, it is a synthetic language where English is analytic. And it possesses letters that cannot properly be expressed in the English alphabet." He said this quite thoughtfully, as if he didn't often think of it.

"I tend to find English rather rigid, ordered. When I speak my native language, I can..." the Russian Haunt gestured vaguely as he spoke. The overthinking of language made it harder for him to speak easily understandable English, as anything becomes more difficult when one over-concentrates. "The word order. It is not important. The form of the words convey meaning. In English, you cannot rearrange a sentence as new thoughts come into your mind." He listened when she described the language as austere but soft, and wondered if that was a masked jibe or not. It was hard to tell when it came to that sort of connotation.

"Different ears hear things in different ways. English, to me... it is unexpressive, calculating. A language that is a tool and nothing more," Sidor gave a small shrug. "I often hear that Russian speakers sound angry or aggressive in turn."

There was a sudden look of apology on Ariana's face. "Forgive me Mr. Grigoriev. I believe I may have confused the two languages. I think that is why I do find curiosity in linguistics, so I do not do such a thing." She smiled softly, with a bit of embarrassment.

"You are right though, English is overly difficult. I was told once that it was difficult for people who spoke other languages to learn. Other languages seem more flowing and linear."
    She looked to Sidor's shadowed face. "Although now that I have the time, perhaps I should learn another language."

"Whatever your primary language is tends to be the one you find easiest," Sidor said, giving a little shrug. "The problem for me is that English is linear. Ah... for example, if I want to say 'I have a father' in English, you cannot say 'A father have I' or 'I father a have'. In Russian, it would not matter. U menya yest otets. Yest u menya otets. Otets yest u menya. The form of the words dictates the sentence. Suffixes and prefixes. Sometimes a single word can be a sentence." He paused, his body language shifting as he leant forwards on the table.

"Would you like to learn?"

Ariana listened intently as he spoke the different variations of one phrase. She did not let the thought pass through her head that she wondered if he wanted something in return for teaching her. "Yes, I would like that. Have you had experience teaching the language previously?" She smiled with interest. "Do many people speak Slavic in America?"

"There are a surprising amount of immigrants from Eastern Europe, yes. It's a fairly common language; although not so common as Spanish, and a few others, I believe. I cannot teach all the Slavic languages of course; I only speak Russian myself, although I have heard Polish quite often," Sidor said with a little nod. "In my studies, I learnt Linguistics as part of my tactical training. I've never applied it, but... I know the basics, at least. I've had to learn a second language myself, of course, so it helps."

The Russian Haunt considered asking for something in return, but decided against it. For two reasons. One was that it was simply tactically foolish; a favour for a favour doesn't endear a man to anyone, whereas a favour freely given could have a much higher return. And the second was that he missed speaking Russian, and it was a pleasant excuse to use it.

This would be an interesting challenge for Ariana, who generally read lips when she did not entirely understand someone or how something was phrased. "Yes, having to learn a second language would help a fair bit." She smiled and titled her head slightly. Her fingers flexed on her lap for a moment as if she was subconsciously remembering Sidor's face. "I do love to learn things that can be applicable and useful."

Relaxing a little in the worn chair, Ariana "The basics are the best way to start." She smiled.

Sidor considered the easiest approach. It wasn't the easiest to learn a language one wasn't immersed in. When one hears it constantly, the brain begins to pick out speech patterns. Without that advantage, it's much harder to continually practice. The only full immersion possible would be textual.

"This may sound strange," the Russian Haunt said after a moment. "But before you can learn to speak, you must learn to read and write. Without being able to understand the cyrillic text, the noises that go with each individual letter, it would be essentially being half-literate. And it is much harder to learn the lettering once you have learnt the speech; you start thinking in Anglicised forms otherwise. With the extra letters making different sounds... it's important not to cross the boundaries."

Ariana shook her head. "I do not think that sounds strange at all Mr. Grigoriev. It makes perfect sense." She thought for a moment about either ordering it herself, or having Felix pick it something up. "Do you have any suggested reading material? Or perhaps something instructional I could have ordered or picked up?" She smiled as she thought for a moment. "To what did I deserve such kindness? It is very generous of you go out of your way tutor me." Ariana was use to being the generous one in most cases, yet the Haunt was full of surprises, so it seemed.

"I'm not particularly familiar with the linguistics material offered in the United States," Sidor said, his voice slightly apologetic. "I would suggest starting with a dictionary. An unabridged one would probably be ideal. There are probably several beginner's books available as well." He paused at the final question, considering it as if it were a verbal trap. Of course, there were plenty of reasons he could give. In the end thought, he opted for simple, blunt honesty.

"I miss the language. The opportunity to tutor another person, is for me, an excuse to speak it. And I find your company pleasant. Taking the time to tutor you is hardly a great boon in that situation," the Russian Haunt said quietly.

Ariana believed what he said was true. Although she had been debating something for a while. She looked at Sidor, and for a moment she wished she could see his eyes. "May I ask your personal opinion about something?"

The sudden shift in topic caught Sidor's attention and beneath the shadows, his eyes flickered, taking in her face. He was silent for a moment, wondering.

"Of course you may. What is it?"
    he said, his voice quiet. He leaned forwards very slightly, which did nothing to alleviate the problems his disfigurement caused those who looked at him.

"Do you recall being suspicious of others before you were changed?"
    Ariana said with curiosity. She shook her hand in a slight dismissal gesture. "I am not referring to you by any means with this inquiry." She said with a sincere look on her face. If anyone she knew was reflective on such a matter, she hoped that Sidor may have some insight.

"Do I recall being suspicious?" Sidor said, and a faint smile tugged at his lips. "Introspective. But I'm afraid you chose a poor candidate for your inquiry. I was born in the Soviet Union, and I lived through Stalin's purges. When that is one's daily life, one is naturally suspicious of the motives of everyone, because anyone could be an informant." And of course, the job he happened to have had meant that if he had been caught, he would have been dead. Gulags were for politics. A freelance torturer was a dead man walking if he was found out.

"If you are asking if vampirism invites suspicion though, you are probably correct. I have found myself applying the same skills to politicking within Kindred society. The Beast makes us paranoid, wary creatures. And with our long lives, most Kindred are competition for a food source. Predators find it difficult to co-operate in nature beyond small groups,"
    the Russian Haunt added, after a moment's thought. "Why should vampires be any different?"

Ariana listened to Sidor speak about his past. "Of course everyone's opinion on anything differs, mainly because of our background." She said as she looked to his shadows. "You are correct, we are paranoid because of our drive." Ariana let that thought linger for a moment while she looked around the room. "Pardon me for inquiring, but is the chess set something of an heirloom?"

Sidor looked thoughtful, but he nodded, very slightly. The subject faded as quickly as it had arrived, and he wondered at the purpose behind it. Still, there was no harm in admitting when he was born. His eyes flickered towards the chess set and a faint, wry chuckle came from his lips. It was, after a fashion. More a reminder of what he had been taught to do.

"I suppose you could call it that. Do you play?" the Russian Haunt said, watching her eyes moving across the shadows.

"I will confess, I have not played with a real opponent for years." Ariana laughed lightly. "Although I have played on the computer from time to time." She smiled to his shadows. "Do you play often Mr. Grigoriev?" Posing the question to him. One thing she was fond of was that he did not ask that she did not be informal while they spoke. Although she did appreciate his candor regardless of her personal preferences.

"A little pass-time of mine. You would be astonished what one can learn from playing chess against an able opponent," Sidor said, his voice thoughtful. The shadows seemed almost tranquil at the moment. "Perhaps you'd like to play me?" There was no pressure in the offer; it was evident without any thought that he'd not be offended whether she refused or not.

"Actually, I would enjoy that." Ariana smiled at Sidor. "It has been quite some time since I have done something relaxing like playing a board game." She added quickly. "Even though I know chess can be rather meticulous."

She put her arm on the chair and leaned on her chin with an inquisitive smile. "I would say we could make this interesting, however, I am sure your aptitude is far superior than mine is for this." Ariana laughed softly.

"Well, then, I would not dream of denying you," Sidor said, quite lightly, and stood to set up the board. The pieces were battered and worn, as if they'd been played many times over the years. "White or black?" It could tell him a lot about how a person thought, what side they took. "And no; there's no need to gamble. Perhaps next time. I personally think the first time one plays a new opponent, is its own reward."

"I would prefer black if you would not mind." Ariana spoke as Sidor sat back down. "You are correct, playing with someone new is very rewarding." She began helping him set up the pieces and lightly glanced over their wear as she did. "It appears as if the pieces seem to have a story themselves." Ariana said as she looked at the pawns as she placed them in their proper beginning spaces.

She chuckled lightly. "Be kind now, I am a bit rusty." As she winked to his shadowed face.

Sidor's gaze flickered over the black pieces. He too, preferred to play as black. His natural inclination was to observe his opponent and allow them to hang themselves. Tactically, he had a flair for it. But he was also a true tactician, and a good player could pick up either side, with the inherent strength and weakness of acquring the first move. When Ariana asked for the story behind it, for a moment, the tranquil shadows seemed to darken, before he gave a dry little laugh, less humoured than before.

"There is a story here, in these pieces," he said quietly. "Perhaps I will tell you it, if you would really be so interested. But I would warn you. It is not the sort of story that is pleasant to hear." The wink seemed to be lost to the shadows, but little movements like that mattered. Perhaps it was just the choice of words. He couldn't ever recall having been considered kind. That was justice, of a sort.

Ariana turned her head slightly in interest. She studied the pieces slightly while waiting for Sidor to make the first move. "I am interested. However, if it something you would rather not speak of right now I understand." She said as she made sure all the pieces were squared off on the board. "The last time I played was with my father." There was warmth in her voice as she spoke.

Sidor slowly advanced one of his pawns, before he looked at her, across the board. It was a calculated risk, to expose oneself. Normally he would have lied, or diverted the topic. He considered it from all angles as he listened to Ariana speak of her father with such warmth. He couldn't contrast it to himself. He had no memory of his father. It had never been important. The only father-figure in his life had been Otets; the bat-Nosferatu who had sired him.

"A happy memory for you?" he said quietly, hearing the warmth in her tone. "If we are to be fair... If I tell you this story, then perhaps it would be right for you to tell me something of your life. It seems to be the topic this evening."

Ariana realized that she may have slipped in her statement previously. It was rare that she mentioned anything from her past, so many secrets. Although this time, her family was what she spoke of and something that made her happy. "Yes, it is a happy memory for me." She smiled to Sidor honestly. "I think that is only fair that we make an exchange of such regard. After all, it helps us both to understand each other further."

There was part of her that wondered if anyone took the time to really know their peers. Perhaps that was why they were all suspicious or anxious around other Kindred. The unknown degree to that of which they were stuck in their immortality.

Sidor's gaze didn't flicker from the board as they played, but he listened. When he'd been robbed of the ability to maintain comfortable eye-contact with anyone, he'd developed the ability to listen attentively in other ways. It was a useful talent. Too often, people simply didn't listen to what another person was saying. Reading between the lines, what wasn't said, the way it was said, it taught so much about the measure of the individual. A straight trade, then; his mortal life story for hers.

It seemed reasonable. He was no longer the man he had been in life. That mortal shred was just a remnant that he was trying to break apart from.

"As you wish,"
    the Russian Haunt said, his voice still thoughtful. "The memories for me are not happy. Nor are they sad. That sort of emotional reaction was something that was discouraged for me." His eyes moved across the pieces and he remembered, vividly. He could not imagine what it would be to lose those memories. Some things had faded. The faces of victims. The days that had blurred into nights. But Yekaterina was like a titan in his past. Her memory was a bonfire against those brief candles.

"My mother taught me to play chess. She was... extraordinary. And I don't say that with the eyes of a child. My mother's ability to assess another person was something exceptional. My earliest memory of this chess set... I was likely about five years old. I watched her playing..." Sidor paused for a moment. "My brother, I think. I had siblings, once, but none lived particularly long after that. He lost rather badly. I remember him protesting that it wasn't important." One finger traced across the White Bishop in front of him. "She broke his arm in three places. He was a foot taller than she was. And yet, only a fool disagreed with Yekaterina Ivanova Grigorieva." His voice didn't seem particularly hurt, or fearful. If anything, it seemed like he was just commenting on something that he found faintly interesting, like a strange insect.

Ariana could not help but see similarities within Sidor's mother and her sire, as a quick sign of it passed across her face and she glanced down at the board. She noticed there was not much emotion while he spoke, if any at all. Still, a small part of her wished she could see his face while he spoke. There was a gentle flexing of her fingers as if trying to remember his face again. "I can see what you mentioned before that there are memories tied into such a set. Some people choose not to keep such items that reflect such memories." Speaking as though she could relate. "Did you play against your mother as well?"

Sidor's eyes flickered over her features as the shadow passed across her face. He wondered who it had been, for her to have such empathy to the story. His gaze moved to her hands as he watched her fingers flex. The quick, gentle movement was hard to ignore. It left him wondering who exactly was in control here. That was an uncomfortable thought. Of course he was in control of himself. That was always, inevitably true. And yet, there was that seed of doubt.

"Some people hide from their memories, or run from them. That sort of thing is a mark of their nature. It is not in my nature to give in to fear," the Russian Haunt said quietly. "And yes. Yes, I played against my mother. I was her favourite student. Perhaps that alone is the reason I lived to see adulthood where the others died. The scar on my hand was one of her lessons, as a point of fact. It was entrirely worth learning, in the long run."

If only Sidor knew what horrible memories she tucked away, but she was not prepared to let it out just yet. Ariana moved another piece on the board. It appeared they had both been playing casually, which was probably best for her right now. There were a few black pieces along the side of the board as it were. "I think some move memories such as that to the side, in hopes to understand them later in life." She said once again, sounding as if she knew precisely his reasoning for which he spoke. "I will tell you of my father, as you requested."

Her face turned a bit brighter as she thought of her parents. "My father, Victor Donovan, was a very methodical man. The way he and I played taught me such ways and also patience. I started playing around the age of nine." Ariana relaxed a little while she continued. "We had a small wooden table inset with marble in the foyer by the large staircase in our house.” She made a gestured example at its height and size. "Once a day, my father and I would each move our pieces. I learned a lot about honesty at a young age. In our home, disappointing my parents was feared most of all.” Ariana’s voice was still warm and doting while speaking, there was nothing in her words to think that this is where her darkness came from. She paused for a moment since she was unable to gage his interest when she looked to his shadowed face.

A
    Ariana Donovan

Sidor listened as she spoke. He could see the empathy, almost feel the shape of the memories she was concealing. At her first comment, he looked thoughtful and shook his head. "Memories either control you or they don't. Those who run from their memories and hide from the darkness of the past are doomed to be controlled by it," he said quietly, before listening to her description of her family. He tipped his head slightly to one side as he moved the pieces, watching her moves in response.

"It sounds like a very supportive and fulfilling childhood," the Russian Haunt said quietly, when she paused. So it was not mortal life then, unless it had happened later. But he didn't push for that. It was up to Ariana if she wanted to expose that part of herself or not. "You were most fortunate. It seems you have always been lucky, then." And so unlike me. How strange that these conversations are so interesting.

Sidor's words about the darkness made perfect sense to her. She still was not prepared to speak of her own darkness to another person just yet. "With memories such as you speak, that is sound advice for someone who is struggling with such a thing." She said as she nodded in agreement, making another move on the chess board.

"Yes, my childhood was quite lovely. To know both light and dark causes us to make those decisions you speak of." There was a brief smile that slipped across her face, then was gone as she thought of luck. "Appearances can be everything Mr. Grigoriev. Some just find a way to hold on to the light." Ariana put her finger to her lips for a moment. Sidor had told her a lot about himself, she did not want to appear one sided. She pulled her hand away and made another counter move to his, "I will confess to you that my childhood and young adult life was happy. However, events after that took a turn to the darkness. One that I am not entirely ready to share, with anyone as of yet." She said, as watched his shadows and waited for his response.

Sidor captured the piece, adding it to the small group he was building at his side of the board. He nodded to her as she spoke, allowing her to talk. For a moment, he kept his eyes on the board as he felt her eyes on him, watching. He wondered what had happened to her, but that wasn't his place to ask. There was a difference between that and him commenting about something that for him, was a memory of little consequence; he did not regard his childhood as particularly traumatic, only as an essential part of his character.

"Of course. I would not dream of forcing you to speak of something you do not wish to," the Russian Haunt said, his voice surprisingly soft. "It would not be my place to do that." He paused for a moment, and there was a hint of a smile in his voice as he gestured towards his face. "Some of us just never see the light to such an extent that the darkness holds no fear. It is not that way for everyone."

"Thank you for understanding. I know you have shared much with me, and it is slightly unfair."
    Within her voice there was a trace of guilt a she spoke. Ariana had watched him move another piece, still not making much headway in their game. "Do you think you are content with the darkness, being that you do not fear it?" She asked as she moved a Bishop on the board. "Or do you think that you want to see any of the light?" Ariana maintained a conversational voice still, yet she wanted to know, since it seemed they were similar. Her own light took the form of a different shadow. "If we are allowed to have a say in our Requiem, should it not be what we want it to be?"

Ariana realized she asked a few questions that were telling. "If you do not wish to answer, I completely understand." She said quickly. Although she realized she may have to answer some of Sidor's soon. If she had been given a choice in the beginning, things would be quite different. Yet, how they turned out so far, she no longer had complaints.

Sidor watched her move on the board and debated the answer. He'd been open with her, at least relatively so, although for him the emotional cost was little. He had learnt long ago to be in control of himself to such a degree that the emotions he might naturally have felt at discussing memories like this didn't blossom. His self-control was iron. Even with the waivering doubts he struggled with about his faith, he was iron within. The shadows on his face shifted slowly, almost oozing across his skin, though they left no trail.

"It's quite alright," the Russian Haunt said, his voice almost steeped in reverie as he debated his answer. "I think for me, Miss Donovan, the problem is that there is not a choice. I cannot step into the light. My disfigurement means that the darkness is my constant companion. I wear it on my face. And I deserve it to be so." He was faintly surprised that the last part came out of his mouth, but perhaps not as much as he would have been before. He moved his Knight on the board, setting up a trap.

"You have heard the Sanctified Creedo? 'A monster I am, lest a monster I become'?" Sidor added conversationally. "It is what I live by. The sort of monster that I am should not be permitted to step into the light."

Ariana was fully aware of the darkness of monsters. It robbed her of many years. Yet, she also knew first hand some people could change and she wondered that of Sidor. “So aside from your disfigurement, do you choose to stay in the darkness?” She said, as she was very interested to hear his further opinion on the matter. "Stepping into the light was a figure of speech. Perhaps I should say, finding some enjoyment. I hope by saying this that it does not prohibit future conversations;” She paused for a moment and looked to his shadowed face, “are you enjoying yourself currently?” She flexed her fingers slightly while moving a rook into position. Although her concentration on the game was lacking as their conversation became more in depth.

“Maybe I will understand more of the Sanctified ways when I attend mass.” She added, so he knew she took into account his covenant. “Although, from what I understand, do you think we are allowed to repent? I am by no means trying to tempt you, but just once would you like to let go?” She paused for a moment and then looked at Sidor sincerely. “I will be honest with you, it is something I struggle with myself.” Ariana's tone was still conversationally curious, as she had nothing to gain by this other than knowing someone that others shunned. There was someone else who reminded her of Sidor in a much different manner.

Sidor paused for a moment as he observed the board, putting one hand on his face as he considered his answer carefully. Truthfully, he was in two minds about their continued conversations. On the one hand, he enjoyed them immensely. On the other hand, things he enjoyed immensely tended to be extremely dangerous for him. He was aware of the desires that lingered within the Man, and the mad ravings of the Beast. He was even more aware how in-tune those desires could be. He captured the rook with a deft move.

"Letting go would be a grave error, for me. I know what lies down that path. As I said. A Monster I am, that a Monster I do not become," the shadowed Haunt said quietly. "And no. There is no redemption for us. We are Damned. All of us. We serve the Purpose that we might serve the Will of the Almighty; to drive those who might yet find salvation onto the right path."

“We are both monsters. I am aware of this.” Ariana said with some remorse. “May I ask you if you chose this existence for yourself?” She looked down at the board as she spoke her next addition. “Someone made my choice for me.” Ariana whispered; nearly void of emotion yet only the slightest tinge of pain. This was very different for her, as she usually kept the composure of a generally happy woman.

She moved her remaining Bishop as she continued their topic of conversation. “If we are damned regardless, then why an attempt to stay in the darkness? If there is no redemption, why must we do this to ourselves?” Looking again to Sidor’s shadows. Even though she would have rather saw his face, she was growing accustom to the change of his shadows.

As she watched yet another move by Sidor she added as if thinking out loud. “Perhaps showing a kindness to those who need salvation would lead them to that alternate path.” This was something she very much believed in.

"No, I did not choose, save by actions outside of my control, that attracted my Sire's attentions," Sidor said, not pressing the point. He could hear the pain in Ariana's voice. Even a man who had not trained himself to tell people's cues would have heard it. "I was taken suddenly and held in a dark basement for a period of time. I still do not know how long. Sensory deprivation prevents you from tracking the passage of time. I was embraced because my Sire was impressed with my character during the experience." His voice was dry as he moved his Queen across the board in a sudden, violent attack that seemed to come from nowhere.

"Have you seen what happens to Kindred who allow their passions to rage out of control, Miss Donovan? I have. I could allow my passions to rage out of control. Can you imagine the full result of that? Hedonism encourages that end. So, too, does compassion for the Kine. We are not them, not any longer. The act of holding on to that part of ourselves that is long dead causes as much madness as giving into the Beast's mad urges with indulgance," the Russian Haunt said quietly. "Regardless, it is our Purpose to contrast that Divine Grace that the Almighty already revealed when He made his presence known to mankind. We are the darkness by which the light may be seen. It is not our place to stand in the light ourselves."

And yet my faith still waivers... A defect that I am now sure belongs to who I am in some way, and must be destroyed. What is it that causes me to fail? I know myself.

“I was also taken to a dark place, just of a different sort. It is unfortunate that we were both changed against our will.” Ariana said as she looked to Sidor’s shadows. “Yes, I have seen what happens when Kindred allow their rage to spiral out of control. If I did not hold on to some sort of light and hope, do you think we would be having this conversation right now?” There was some truth to that statement, if it were not for a stranger she met at a bar things would be quite different.

Ariana continued in a pleasant tone. “It seems we both have a fear of losing control in some fashion. We both have different manners in which we keep the balance within ourselves. I know we are no longer Kine and you are right it is dangerous for some to cling to those ways.” It was clear she had thought a lot about what they were as she spoke.. She turned her head slightly at his sudden move with the Queen.

Setting up her Knight in another strategic move, she looked to Sidor’s shadows. “Yet, since I know of your past, this gives me a better understanding of why you have made the choices you have. We both have different views, but still similarities. It is too bad others do not take the time to see who we really are beneath our cloaks. Although there is one passion you have forgotten that we both hold to; yours to the Sanctified and mine to the First Estate.” She smiled slightly as she made her last statement.

"Not rage," Sidor said quietly. Interesting, that she had been taken against her will. Not common, with Lords, in his experience. Which of course, meant very little. "Passion. It is not the same. And I find that the cruellest of all things is false hope; the hope that things in the future will be different, that the monster which lurks beneath our unliving flesh will not chip away at all that we are. I prefer to be pragmatic about these things. No one's ability to control themselves is one hundred percent absolute. Even those of us who have trained ourselves in those skills." His fingers traced the edge of the board, before he moved his rook.

"I do not fear the loss of control. I simply know myself; utterly and honestly. It is very easy to lie to one's self about the nature of one's character. I know who and what I am. Because of that, I know what I can and cannot do. The passions that I can indulge in, in a limited capacity, and those that I may not, lest all that I am be lost," the Russian Haunt said. His tone was efficient, but it was obvious that he had no intention of discussing exactly what those desires might be. "And I would not call my faith a... passion. It is a necessity. The Purpose means a great deal to me."

Ariana was still not prepared to tell him of her past, which had quite a bit to do with the hope in which she spoke. “I was speaking of a different type of hope. However, I do know things change over time.” Ariana watched his hand on the board, which she perceived as calculating his next move. “Of course controlling ourselves is not absolute. Perhaps the word passion to describe what we are speaking of was not entirely what I meant.” Ariana smiled softly to Sidor. “I am by no means perfect.” Shaking her head slightly.

As she pondered the board and attempted to calculate, she looked to Sidor’s darkened face again. “I understand that your faith means a lot to you. It is wonderful to see someone so dedicated to their beliefs.” Then Ariana’s natural curiosity spoke up. “May I ask what passions are you allow yourself to indulge Mr. Grigoriev?” She realized after she spoke that it may be misinterpreted. This clearly affected her judgment as she moved her Bishop into a different position.

"Word means different things to different people, I suspect," Sidor allowed quietly, as he slid a Knight into position. "Check." For a moment, his eyes remained on the board as he assessed the moves they were making, and wondered about the form of the shadow on Ariana that she was moving around. It was a natural instinct for him to explore the natures of others; just as much as he valued his knowledge of his own nature.

"You're playing one," the Russian Haunt said candidly, in answer to her next question. "I enjoy tactical thinking. A shame I can no longer play against most, but the kine do tend to notice walking Masquerade breaches. More's the pity." He didn't add that playing a game against someone, for him, was an insight into their character. If Ariana was as intelligent as he believed her to be, she would already know that was the case. If she was not, there was no sense in showing his hand.

Ariana smiled as he said Check, mainly because it was one of the most intense parts of the game. Instead of any other attempt to move in opposition, she went to a defensive position with her Queen. She was still not up to par with her skills of the game.

“As I stated before, I have not had another opponent since my father. I would not count computer chess as the same.” Ariana noticed Sidor’s choice of words which meant he had more than one thing he may have indulged upon. She gently flexed her fingers again when he referred to his face as a breach. “Even though I am not the best opponent, but if you can endure winning again, perhaps you have found another player.” She smiled softly. “Is there anything else you allow yourself?” Ariana asked while waiting for his next move. She wondered if all Haunts were embraced such as Sidor was, it would explain many things about their nature. Even though their nature may have been from how they were treated by others.

Sidor's eyes flickered over the board as Ariana moved her Queen defensively. His own immediately charged, capturing the defending piece. He inclined his head very slightly. She defends where she should attack. An interesting character trait, for a Harpy. Protective instead of proactive. Very interesting. His fingers slid across the edge of the board. This was simply fascinating.

"I would certainly enjoy playing again with you. You are a fascinating conversationalist,"
    the shadowed Nosferatu said thoughtfully, his gaze flickering in the darkness. He watched her fingers flexing. Normally, he would have assumed a person was restlessly feeling for a weapon; it was characteristic in a sense, of those who put too much faith in one particular tool. But in this case, he didn't have that sensation. "As for other enjoyments, since I moved to Sacramento, my pursuits have been sorely lacking. I wish that it weren't the case, but unfortunately, I am Nosferatu. My abilities to charm or entertain were taken from me by the Blood." And here, I do not have Otets' brood to socialise with.

One thing Ariana’s father taught her was to never reveal your strategies to a new opponent immediately, whether it be a game of chess or another fashion. She moved a lock of hair back over her shoulder as she watched Sidor’s hands slide along the board again. She wondered if this was a way that he thought through things, and perhaps stayed in tune with the game.

“I make time for those who are worthy of such time.” She smiled with a slight wink. There may have been many interpretations to that statement. “Perhaps you could share those pursuits with me. I understand that you think you may be limited as to what you can do, but I am clever on occasion.” Ariana offered kindly. “There is some charm left within you, Mr. Gregoriev.” After all, if not for his charming conversations, she would not be sitting there at the moment. She awaited his next move both on the board, and in conversation.

"Check," Sidor said quietly, moving his bishop forwards as he thought on what she'd said. Worthy of such time. That was an interesting choice of words; as if she'd implictly decided he was of value to her. That could very well be a dangerous thing, and yet so curious. A Ventrue Harpy who saw value in a Haunt as something other than a human shield. Even after having gotten to know Ariana a little, the wording made him silent for a moment, before he smiled faintly beneath the shadows.

"If you think I have charisma now, imagine what I must have been," the Russian said, his voice soft. His Damnation and loss was just, of course. After what he had done in life, there would be no salvation for him, and the partial loss of his ability to communicate well with others, thanks to this transformation, was a perfect reminder of his Purpose now. "Regardless, it cannot be changed. As for pursuits; many of the things I was able to do in Sverdlovsk, I cannot do here." Is that the reason the passions of the Man I was are almost overwhelming? He has been caged, lately, as much as the Beast has. "It is not in my perview to acquire information for this Domain." He put words around his former duties, almost avoiding the idea of speaking of things he had done in his Mortal life in favour of what he had been as a Kindred. Then he paused, and spoke again, much more quietly.

"And it is not as if I could explore a museum, or walk into a theatre or a symphony any longer. Those things are past. Desiring things one cannot have is futile, and regardless, brings about false hope, and the temptation to strive for something that would surely breach the Masquerade. I cannot be caught around kine in a lit place, this is... a simple, unavoidable fact," his voice was strained for just a fraction of a moment. The presence of his self-control striking away that strain was almost audible.

Ariana had unconsciously leaned forward slightly while he spoke. "I know it cannot be changed." She said softly, with an air of sympathy. "I wish people did not take things for granted. Whether it be to see a show, hear a symphony or live freely, it is all overlooked." Ariana looked into the darkened veiled of Sidor's face. Not only were we trapped in the dark of the night, he was trapped in darkness. "It is bothersome that so many are superficial. For you to already be forced out of the light is no reason for so many to leave you alone in the dark." There was some irony in her thoughts; that shadow of sorts pulled her into the light.

She put her hand up shaking it apologetically. "Forgive me for over speaking." Ariana continued. "I know you mentioned it was not your perview to acquire information. However, perhaps either of the deputies could put your skills of gathering information, to some use. I wish I had more to offer you." She spoke quietly as she looked into his shadows again.

"It is not their job to drag me into the light either. After all, it true that I am a Masquerade breach, as are many of my cousins. This unlife is perhaps more evident in us than most. As I said before, Miss Donovan, you are lucky. But then, we cannot all be so fortunate," he said and paused for a moment, assessing the board. "Still. I am here. We do as we must."

"As for the Deputies... well, that is their choice. I cannot force anyone to make use of my talents,"
    Sidor smiled faintly beneath the shadows, reached forwards and seized the moment. The Queen glided sharply into one of Ariana's pawns. He gently took the piece from the board, almost reverantly. It was amusing to him on some level, how the capture of a single pawn could transform a game. As he placed it down, he spoke quietly.

"And that, I believe, is Checkmate," the Russian Haunt said, the shadows on his face shifting suddenly into sharper contrast. The effect was disconcerting, as though winning had caused them to wake up somehow.

As Sidor moved for the last time on the board, Ariana was not shocked. The game had went well, but it was apparent that she was out of practice. "It seems I need to brush up on my strategy." She smiled softly. She began cleaning up the pieces and thinking back to all they discussed. Her fingers gently flexed a moment before she took up one of the white pieces he had been playing. Looking to his shadowed face, Ariana spoke. "Mr. Grigoriev, I hope that our conversation such as this does not cause you grievance. I do enjoy talking to you very much." There was a fringe of guilt in her voice as she thought back to their conversation.

"Not at all. If there was a problem, I would have told you. The information I shared with you, I shared with you freely, Miss Donovan. I find our conversations remarkably refreshing," Sidor said thoughtfully, as his gaze flickered to her fingers again and a faint smile crossed his lips. "I do hope you will play against me again, another time. It would be interesting to see what other strategies you have to apply." He watched her picking up the white piece, observing her hands beneath the shadows.

"Perhaps you could indulge me with one last question," the Russian Haunt added, his voice curious. He had a slight guess, actually, as to what it might be. "You keep flexing your fingers. I was wondering why that might be."

"Oh of course. I would love to play again. I also enjoy our talks. It is not often we actually talk about the condition of which we exist to others." Ariana said pleasingly. She learned a lot from Sidor, he taught her more things about herself than he realized.

A stunned look appeared on Ariana's face as he asked the question. "I apologize, I do not think I realize that I do it. I have been recalling your facial features while we speak. Of course, now that solves another riddle. There were a few blind musicians I have met in the past, I often wondered why they did such a thing." Ariana said as she recalled Jeff Healey and Andrea Bocelli. "I do suppose I should depart for the evening." She mentioned in a bittersweet tone.

"A pity, really. I think there is a lot to be learnt in debate," Sidor said, watching the stunned look creep across her features. He had suspected as much; the interest she had had in knowing what he looked like so much had been fascinating to him. "I am only sorry that there is no better way for you to recall them. I have no pictures of myself as a mortal, and even were I to render myself visible to a camera now, it would be useless." And your fascination with my real appearance intrigues me.

"It is getting to the early hours of the morning, and I'm sure you have other duties, Miss Donovan. I wouldn't dream of keeping you. But please, call on me any time. I will look forwards to playing again; and tutoring you."
    The Russian Haunt stood up and politely inclined his head.

"I will do that. I look forward to our next match, and the tutoring." Ariana smiled genuinely. "I will speak with you again soon Mr. Grigoriev." She gave him a polite nod of the head and made her way out of his room and the hotel. Ariana also remembered she would also need to pick up a book on Russian before her next visit.

13suxx but failed miserably

Chess match, 26 successes

Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.