Winter
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Education
    (West Point Grad)
    Occultation
    Winter

Nimbus

Dark shadows scatter in ordered symmetrical patterns traversed by a crackling pallid silver light that wraps Winter in a pleasantly numbing and icy coldness.
    When vulgar magic is cast, the frequency of the oscillation of the dark fluid surges until the shadows arrange themselves in a solid black halo around Winter's head, the white light darkens into a fiery black sunlight and his eyes are set ablaze with vivid incandescence.
    Stats

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor: 1(General)/2(Ballistic)
    Defense: 3

Active Spells: 1/6
    Personal Spells: 1/3
    Incognito Presence (Mind 2) Rote, Scene, Pot[1]

OCC
    PRE

His gaze lingers on the firearm, his fingers tracing the smooth metal with a practiced touch. A faint smile tugs at the corners of his lips as Joyeuse's words echo in his mind. It's been a while since he's fired one of those."A like mind indeed," he murmurs, "It is a rare occurrence to find one"
    Turning his attention to Joyeuse, his expression softens slightly. "I didn't always see eye to eye with your predecessor, even though we walked the same path", he acknowledges, "protection takes many forms and each one has its own merits, I guess."
    With a nod, he gestures towards the array of weapons before them. "I find that a friendly challenge can reveal the measure of someone" he explain. "if you are willing to put your skills to the test."
    A glint of anticipation flashes in his eyes as he picks up a gun, the weight familiar and comforting in his grasp. "Let's see how well our aim aligns"

2. Likes liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Occultation
    Fighting Style: Kung Fu
    Resources
    Joyeuse

Nimbus:

Silhouetted with a halo of bright, silver light.

When Vulgar magic is cast, Joy's hands and eyes glow a bright silver, as if wreathed in celestial fire
    Tracker

Joyeuse Scenes

Joyeuse Scenes

OCC
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Joyeuse finally lifted a pistol, observing it passively as Winter spoke.

"It's an unfortunate reality that many among us do not respect tradition and safeguards," they said, "I blame a lack of discipline... I was fortunate to have a good teacher in that regard."

The Obrimos' eyes flick to Winter as the stoic Guardian addresses them more directly.

"I'm sure we'll eventually have some form of disagreement," they admit, "There is a reason we each chose to go on the roads we have. Therefore, where our foundation should lie is with respect and the understanding that our society needs both of our organizations."

While Joy was all about being amicable, they were, at their heart, a realist.

"Whereas protection is concerned, I am glad that it seems we both have a similar belief, what differs is the execution," they continued, "I've always seen it as your organization being akin to a scalpel and mine as a hammer. Precision matters for both, but the function of the instruments differ significantly. So... when we've established our rapport with one another, I ask you afford me the knowledge of threats that will require my expertise and in exchange I will share matters of security and intelligence related to the function of your organization. In the absence of a significant presence of my own colleagues, I'm certain I will likely work closely with yours. But that's a discussion we can shelve for another time."

Their own expression softens a bit as they look down the range.

"I doubt I will be much competition," they mused, "As I've said, my talents most often deal with close quarters... but I will give all I can. Then perhaps once I'm settled in we can meet on grounds that favor my own talents in turn."

A slender hand gestures to the range.

"By all means, it seems fitting to have the host go first," they said, their smile tugging into a broader smile, "Show me how it's done and lets see if I can keep up."

Winter
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Education
    (West Point Grad)
    Occultation
    Winter

Nimbus

Dark shadows scatter in ordered symmetrical patterns traversed by a crackling pallid silver light that wraps Winter in a pleasantly numbing and icy coldness.
    When vulgar magic is cast, the frequency of the oscillation of the dark fluid surges until the shadows arrange themselves in a solid black halo around Winter's head, the white light darkens into a fiery black sunlight and his eyes are set ablaze with vivid incandescence.
    Stats

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:

OCC
    PRE

His grip on the gun tightens imperceptibly as Joyeuse speaks, perhaps due to the discomfort at how close to truth their discussion has been for a public venue.
    "A good teacher can shape the path we walk in ways we may not appreciate while we're their students".
    As Joyeuse mentions the inevitable disagreements that may arise between them, Winter's expression remains cold.
    "So long as we cooperate. However, I trust you're wise enough to know that transparency is not always the best choice. Sometimes you need to have faith in your colleagues", he responds in a steady tone, "Different methods but the same goal... all for the greater good". With a nod of acknowledgment, he turns towards the range, his stance focused.
    "Let's see then", he says. Taking aim, he steadies his breath and squeezes the trigger, the shot ringing out in the open expanse of the shooting range.
    A good shot, center mass.

4 successes

5. Likes liked this post
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Occultation
    Resources
    Joyeuse

Nimbus:

When Vulgar magic is cast, Joy's hands and eyes glow a bright silver, as if wreathed in celestial fire
    Tracker

Joyeuse Scenes

Joyeuse Scenes

OCC
    +1
    SL
    PRE

There is a nod as Winter speaks of mentorship.

"And temper the fires of a ward's mind," they added.

As Winter affords a realistic rebuttal, Joyeuse nods once more though their eyes remain down range.

"Indeed. I should have been clearer. If a threat requires my presence, I would like to be informed," they said, "There is a time and a place for a hammer to fall. I only ask that you let it when that time comes to pass."

Joyeuse watches the shot, remaining silent as Winter steadies himself and finally squeezed the trigger. The Arrow's eyebrows quirk upward as they see the shot, clearly impressed. When the time comes, they step forward, imitating the stance they witnessed as best they can. Luckily, though untrained, Joyeuse still possesses significant grace. The gun is raised, Joyeuse's expression relaxes, and the trigger is pulled.

Though less centered than Winter's own, the shot finds it target and, briefly, Joy even seems momentarily surprised at their fortune.

3 successes

Winter
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Education
    (West Point Grad)
    Occultation
    Winter

Nimbus

Stats

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:

OCC
    PRE

As Joyeuse steps forward, his gaze follows their movements. The Arrow's imitation of his stance does not go unnoticed, and he nods.
    "You're a good shot," he remarks.
    As he focuses back on the targets, his expression grows contemplative. "You have my word that you will be informed whenever your expertise is required"
    A brief pause follows, "however," he adds, "sometimes discretion will be required"
    "Now," he says, challenge in his voice, "do we want to test our mettle against a moving target?"

Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Occultation
    Resources
    Joyeuse

Nimbus:

Tracker

Joyeuse Scenes

Joyeuse Scenes

OCC
    +1
    SL
    PRE

A small chuckle sounds from the androgynous mage's throat.

"Survey says: Beginner's Luck?" they quip.

A nod follows as Winter provides their word.

"That is all I ask," they say, "And, yes, naturally I know I will need to exercise precautions."

The slight smile tugs once more at Winter's challenge.

"There is no growth without challenge," they muse, accepting the challenge as they turn their attention back to the pistol to test its weight in their hand.

Winter
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Education
    (West Point Grad)
    Occultation
    Winter

Nimbus

Stats

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:

OCC
    PRE

Winter's gaze lingers on Joyeuse, "Beginner's luck could just be betraying a hidden talent," he muses, a faint smile touching his lips.
    "I like to prepare for the worst, perhaps because of my pessimism," he observes, "and act surprised when things turn out better than anticipated, beats being caught unprepared"
    He then gestures towards the moving target mechanism, a launcher loaded with a clay pigeon, a silent invitation to put Joyeuse's skills to the test once more. "This time you go first", he suggests. "Ready when you are"

Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Occultation
    Resources
    Joyeuse

Nimbus:

Tracker

Joyeuse Scenes

Joyeuse Scenes

OCC
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Winter's distrust is understandable, but his fellow Obrimos seems unbothered, their smile even exposing their teeth.

"You know, I once had a guardian that said 'Hope for the best, prepare for the worst,'" they mused, "I think its more complicated than that though... hope can be deceitful if you let it run with abandon. So far I can say you don't come off as pessimistic to me, Winter. You're a realist."

With Winter signaling the time had come for Joy to take the lead. Joyeuse simply nodded got into position and returned to their firing stance. Once ready, they simply uttered "Pull."

And, when the clay pigeon was shot, the lead within the gun was loosed and...

1 success

...once more hit the target true, cracking the clay and sending it to the ground in fragments.

Relaxing, Joyeuse blinked and looked to Winter with a very perplexed look. The Arrow was equal parts quite pleased and absolutely confused at their fortune with the gun.

"It seems I may have an affinity that even I was unaware of,"
    they quipped.

Winter
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Education
    (West Point Grad)
    Occultation
    Winter

Nimbus

Stats

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:

OCC
    PRE

The Arrow was good, not Winter good, but good nonetheless. Now if only they realized even the Hills had ears and they'd be good to go.
    Next is his turn, and the pigeon breaks into a hail of fragments of clay.
    So much for - inanimate - animal rights.
    "Now that you are aware, you shouldn't ignore it", he says of her newly acquired vocation, "how were things where you come from?"

4 successes

Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Occultation
    Resources
    Joyeuse

Nimbus:

Tracker

Joyeuse Scenes

Joyeuse Scenes

OCC
    +1
    SL
    PRE

There was a slight nod as Winter afforded his opinion.

"I don't intend to," they admitted, "This has proven a valuable lesson and I am by no means of furthering my abilities in my purpose."

Looking to Winter they offered a small smile. "I suppose I have you to thank you for that, Winter."

Stepping up Joyeuse would position to take yet another shot, the clay is pulled, and...

failure

... the Arrow's string of luck finally falters, the bullet missing the clay and sailing forward until a puff of dust announces its descent further down the range.

"Well, it seems that little streak is ended," they say with a smirk.

At Winter's question Joyeuse ponders a bit as they work out how best to respond.

"Controlled," they eventually answer, "Stable... well, as stable as it can be given the reality of things."

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread