Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

The Start of an Evening

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3

Jennifer Hazelton

" Interpreter Eden Aise, of the clan Mekhet, was the one who told us this, Seneschal. She was quite insistent. We must bring the box with us."

"I believe it might have something to do with the competition over Pope's location."
    Mr. Holden offered.
    "She insisted that the box's use was immediate. There are time constraints."

"Let's discuss this theory. I think it has promise.
    Is it your belief that the two investigations are linked due to a clue that my coterie is ignorant of? I have noticed any unexplained death of one's meals, beyond the usual occurrence.
    We have been looking into Circle of the Crone acolytes who may be harboring favor with Pope.
    Unless you wish to research first, Priscus Durant?
    We'll have some more time to discuss at the cemetery. The time to research here in the city is limited."

" We were not told. Interpreter Aise assured us that it was something irreplaceable. That we needed to protect it and give it to Pope.
    If you feel that your Gift would serve us, by all means, Priscus Durant."

2. Likes pisces liked this post
    Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

Educated, scholarly, lawyer, scientist.
    Jack's outward demeanor and tone are a baseline of respectful and calculated.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque nodded approvingly to Quinn, not wanting to vocally repeat the 'by all means'. Blindly lugging around a mystery box just wasn't going to happen- not for him at least.

He absorbed the information, but referenced back to the note and map. Being short on time he looked online to see if there was a roster for the cemetery, and if it could be found locally or digitally. While waiting for the simple google queries to finish, he also reflected on the enigma that was this riddle.

1 success

He also started considering the shopping list of items they might need for the excursion. Power drills with bits that could bore through stone, wedge and feather shims, some sledges, pry bars, jacks, a bag large enough for a body and some cheap tarps.

failure

Blood Hunt:

4. Likes , pisces liked this post

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

Quinn nodded once to Seneschal Jack. "Since I'm supposed to be preparing for a trip where I don't even know where I am going at this point, could someone fill me in please? Kinda hard to plan what I need when the mission is a mystery in itself...." She pointed out wisely. "Either that or I can tag along with the Seneschal and he can fill me in. Since expediency is very important."

"No you good you are right, we can discuss the rest later. The Seneschal would like me to attempt to discern the contents of our mystery box and perhaps why it must be opened immediately...."

First Roll For The Lock

Quinn grasped the lock in her her small hands, and it didn't take long to affect the Shadow. Images gripped her mind, as her eyes literally rolled back showing only the whites. She then moved on to the box itself, her hands spreading over the top of it. Her fingers feeling the grain of the wood, the tiny imperfections, everything.

Second Roll for The Box

6. Likes liked this post

Jennifer Hazelton

As Jacque thought on the enigma, something occured to him. Ramón Llull's name is often associated with "Ars Magna," due to his 13th century attempt to create a quasi-scientific system of thought to quantify all faith and rational thought. He published his work, today called the Ars Magna, in a 1305 text called Ars Generalis Ultima, which he upheld as a systematic method of thought through which all other
    beliefs and sciences should be considered. It involved the random combining and juxtaposing of keywords associated with the perception of God across interfaith lines.

As Quinn studies the lock, she discovers that it is not the standard lock. Tumblers and pins to be manipulated. This lock is something else. The lock can not be picked, it must be broken open. Once opened, it cannot be locked again. As Quinn touched the lock, she gets an image. A man in clothing that dated back to the 40s, handing the lock to a second man, in similiar dress. The second man is bowing, servant - like.
    "You must ensure that we can find him again, Clifton... place this in..." As the Mekhet utilized her Family gift to investigate the lock, the lock seemed to drip red in her mind. Symbols began to float in front of her eyes. Her experience with the Ordul helped her to recognize the occult symbols. The symbols were red and resembled the allure of blood.

As Quinn touched the box, the red symbols moved in her mind again. Perhaps these occult symbols were written in blood? There was also a glimpse of someone in dark robes holding something over the box. Quinn's perspective shifted to being lowered into the box, and a glint of something metallic in the hands of the person placing something in the box. It was held with reverence in two hands. Perhaps a priceless relic such as a chalice. Or perhaps imoprtant regalia or a piece of jewelry.

Quinn did not recognize the occult symbolism. Yet on concentrating, she sees someone painting the symbols on a kneeling man. The symbolism of an important ritual is imbued in the deliberate motions of the practicioner.
    The dangerous sensation of fire suddenly came unbidden to Quinn's mind.
    Mr. Holden and Madame McCabe began to speak quietly as Quinn utilized her gift. "Interpreter Aise had been quite clear - no one can open the box until we find Pope. If it was opened, everything will be ruined."
    McCabe watches Quinn close. Her eyes rivited to the lock on the box.

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

Educated, scholarly, lawyer, scientist.
    Jack's outward demeanor and tone are a baseline of respectful and calculated.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

The words from the note flitted through Jack's mind, threads being gently pulled that had long lied dormant. A philosopher came to mind who had published some interesting work... work that was largely banned. A logic machine that had a purpose, but not one that Jack was deeply familiar with. Still, it could be important so he'd have to spend the time later in the evening to delve into the nooks and crannies of the subject.*

4 successes

He watched Quinn, choosing to be quiet until she finished her... investigation. Afterwards, hearing her query he smiled in reply, "Why, what better place to find a corpse than a graveyard Miss Durant?"**

*I don't have the time this evening to write a glimpse but for the sake of the pacing of the plot I posted the roll here.
    **Unless the coterie chooses to do so now, Jack will fill in Quinn with all of the information shared in this scene.

Blood Hunt:

9. Likes pisces liked this post

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

Quinn could faintly hear the hushed voices of McCabe and Holden, but she couldn't see anything in the room. She was blind to the room. Usually Quinn had her kit with her for things like this. It included things to help her focus back on the actual time and place she was in. It included something to feel, something to see, something smell, and something to hear. She didn't have any of that. When her eyes rolled forward and she jolted back in to the present, she ripped her hands away from the box and examined them. The sensation of fire was enough to make the Mehket startle from the vision.

Everything she saw was still dancing in her minds eye. She gave in to that sensation, but did not want to touch that thing again. Quinn's voice was soft. She sounded far away, as if she was there physically but maybe not quite mentally yet.

"When I touched the lock I saw two men in 1940's clothing, one the master the other the servant. One says to the other 'You must ensure that we can find him again, Clifton... place this in...' and the vision changes. The lock bleeds. I see occult symbols, and they have the same allure as blood.

"When I touched the box I saw I see the same symbols written again, I don't recognize the symbols but I shall write them down so we can research it. Someone in black robes is standing over the box, cupping something with two hands and lowering it in. Then the perspective shifts, and its like I am the object being lowered into the box. It's metallic, and held with reverence. The way it is lowered, makes me want to say it is a chalice, or perhaps a heavy bracelet, necklace, it is metal, that is assured. Then I see a man being painted with the same symbols, and suddenly I can sense fire. Perhaps they sacrificed him by fire, or perhaps if you were to open the box outside of your prey's presence it will burn, destroying what's in side, and possibly the one of opened it. Also if the lock is to be broken, because it cannot be opened any other method, it cannot be closed again."

Quinn slowly smiled to Seneschal Jack. "How cliché."

Quinn Durant
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Striking Looks
    (Enticing)
    Barfly
    (Velvet Rope Jockey)
    Good Breeding
    City Status
    Quinn Durant

+1
    SL
    PRE

Forgot roll for researching the occult symbols.
    3 successes

Jennifer Hazelton

Quinn knows that the symbols are mystical. Powerful. Old.
    Yet they are not her symbols. They were not in the mystic knowledge of the Ordul Dracul. These come from somewhere else, somewhere outside of her knowledge. No texts that she had read in the past bring any knowledge to mind. They would have to look somewhere... yet where? The hours grow long. Jacque and Quinn had only minutes until they would have to depart for their Haven.

The coterie were in their Haven, and still spoke quietly. Holden especially looked to Jacque with concern.

Jennifer Hazelton

The evening draws to a close and the Kindred return to their Havens, as prepared as they can be for the next night. Please follow the action here

14. Likes , pisces liked this post
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
Closed Thread