Ended
Watch

Hangover in the Barrens

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 4 of 4 First 1 2 3 4
    A
    Arturo Garcia

Garrett posed an interesting topic - but it was already clicking. He had come out to this hell not once, but twice. He had not tried to enforce anything than the traditions they all knew mattered most. He had plenty of opportunity to take his shots and the starving Lord knew it. He was nowhere near firing on all cylinders. This was genuine it seemed, maybe there was something here if not anything more than a tolerance (which in Kindred terms was still something special).

The Lords mouth curled into a smug grin.

”If there is more than that I am all ears Mr. Prosper. Enlighten me?”

There was a soft mockery to the tone, but one of shakey bravado. Garrett wouldn’t need to be a genius to see that the facade was clearly in place and the Lord was not quite lifting it. Ventrue weren’t one to ask for help, especially social graces from Savages.

It seemed though that this was exactly what was needed.And just as if there was an audience the act was in place - but in reality there was a genuine interest in Garretts words, how the cat operated, and what could be gleaned. His old Domain this was not, and he had to learn to adjust or he may be better off moving on.

Supplicant of Terror
    Presence
    (Gregarious)
    Garrett Prosper

PRE

Prosper snapped a finger, "You are scary."

The smaller vampire shrugged a bit with a chuckle, "I would not get away with half the shit that comes out of my mouth if I had a different look, or particular presence. Your demeanor invites challenge, and the fact that because your Beast signals strength, you are more of a threat. Now, I know you come from a situation where that is not a bad thing," he taps his fingers against the table, still chuckling, "Here, however, you are swimming in insecurity. Not lack of intelligence or talent. That is why everyone's hackles go up when you call them on their shit, instead of shutting it down if they are unwilling to engage. Have you tried being nice? Or does the thought of long term gains at the cost of your pride disgust you so much?" He was being frank: the Lord had overplayed his hand with volatility, when other Kindred had better sets to bluff with.

"A lot of factors go into how much power a Kindred has when they enter a new Domain. You have felt the lack of scaffold, which honestly any one of us could fall victim to?"
    Garrett cocked his head as he thought,

"You should have seen my first Court before I realized this was a Savage population and the Grand Wyrm was the authority on the law, with two Dragons acting as her extension. All with good reception and resumes. First impression took me a long way, but I have been knocked over the head by being too loud more than once," he smirked to himself. Totally worth it, though.

3. Likes Stray liked this post
    A
    Arturo Garcia

”Disgust me? It makes my blood absolutely boil with nothing more than wanton violence, and lash out until I feel nothing more than meat and bone collapsing underneath it until it all becomes dust on the wind. It is a sacrifice that every ounce of my heritage denies and protests against any other course of action.”

The Lord’s face had gone deadly serious after Garrett so light heartedly phrased the predicament. The cheer was gone, replaced by an answer that one could see make his jaw twitch. Escape would be for naught if jesting was all that he found in place of what he once had. His hand had balled into what was now a white knuckled fist, seemingly ready to lash out.

4 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-05-30 01:50:17 Arturo Garcia rolls 6 to be Scary (Pre + Int) (10 Again) 8, 10, 5, 8, 10, 4, 4, 7 4 successes

However, the scowl softened back to a grin, and the fist clench once more before releasing and laying flat on the table. The much kinder face of the Lord looked down for a moment before he let his eyes drift back up to the Savage.

”But you are right, sometimes there are greater things that can be accomplished with temperance. I could have accomplished more by now if not for souring my own reputation. If you are right, however, there is still some hope of recovering from this rather than simply moving on to the next Domain and hoping for a better outcome. It is likely in my best interest to swallow some of my pride and let it rot with the beast, express a sense of humility as I so often read about, and make friends.”

Arturo leaned back in his seat. He had a confidence in his tone, but again it was more show as he absorbed what the Savage said and tried to express in his own ways how to exemplify that advice. Relearning social skills lost after decades in a haughty and aggressive court was not the easiest task - as suggested by his own expression of the advice. It was effort though.

A Lord taking advice from a Savage. On paper it seemed ludicrous but here they were, and that wasn’t even the craziest part of the story thus far.

Supplicant of Terror
    Presence
    (Gregarious)
    Garrett Prosper

PRE

As Arutro's mood swung, once more, into the black, the Savage wondered, once more, why he continued gambling. The hackles went up with the sudden surge of danger, eyes pinning almost to animalistic slits as the fist was ready to strike. He stopped leaning on the table and sat back, teeth flashing momentarily before the Lord played the game and turned on a fake smile.

Fine. Lesson learned.

He coughed to stop the rumble forming at the back of his throat and smoothed his hair so his hand didn't dart for the weapon. "Yeah. Like that," he said with a razored grin.

Once the moment passes, Garrett sighed, "Think of it as an investment for future opportunities. Picking your battles, as it were, or 'greater things' as you referred to it. I assume because you have not packed up and ran, you have something to prove by engaging this game. Or you are a masochist. It has only been a few months, though." He was rambling at this point, attention drifting once more as he processed his own confusion with the sudden snap changes of expectation that were at odds with his age. It was fast, even for him. A certain exhilaration was presented in the demand for adaptation, at least.

A
    Arturo Garcia

”Maybe it is a little of both. Regardless there is a new way of doing things here - foreign to me - and like you said it is within my interest to adapt. Like I said to you though, you may want to have a talk with God because we are in a war. And it will probably only grow worse and worse as the nights pass.”

A glance as tossed to the clock on the wall.

”Alas, the night is growing shorter and shorter. Perhaps it is best we continue you another night. You have given me a lot to think about. I respect your advice.”

A clever front of words, saving face for the invisible audience.

”Do you have time to make it to safety? If not I know a quaint little graveyard with a cozy little crypt.”

He offered the Savage a place to hide as a joke.

Supplicant of Terror
    Presence
    (Gregarious)
    Garrett Prosper

PRE

Garrett grins at the comment about prayer, "I do not think we are good terms. Actively studying to break His Curse and all that," he spreads his hands, "Hell sounds like more fun, anyway."

He gives a snort at the offer, "We can dissolve into the ground. Crypts are ostentatious and for those who are compensating." The Savage slides the chair to stand at the mention of the time. It would be nice to get out of this godforsaken wasteland. "Thanks for not trying to kill me," he laughs.

A
    Arturo Garcia

"Thank you for the evening, Garrett. Consider the lack of killing a professional courtesy."

This night was done. It was a shame though, he had fully expected the other Kindred to hiss when he had reeled - but it was best not to tempt fate and try again.

Great scene! Sorry for the extended breaks and sticking it out!

Page 4 of 4 First 1 2 3 4
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 12

You do not have permission to view the list of names.