11 - 20
DISPLAYED
All Hallows Church of the Sanctified

(City on Fire) Up To Speed
Jan 23, 2023 - Feb 22, 2023
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    J
    Jak

Alastair was a bit confused by her nervous circumspection, but continued.

The note told me to be back home before sunrise, and that I shouldn't bother looking for her because she was gone. He blew a sigh. I wasn't aware there was a standard procedure. The fact there is some tradition brings to mind a few questions I consider quite important. He looked directly into her green eyes, a few shades lighter than his own.

How many of... us... are there? What did she do to me? And what in hell am I?

Mmmm, nice eyes.

Mariel starts her car. Why don't we continue this conversation on the road? Do you mind staying at my place tonight? I don't even know if your place is very light-proof. Although I guess you made it through your first night alright. She still looks doubtful.

My place is very safe. Not counting the practically entire Covenant that croaked there recently, that is, she thinks. Hmmm, I probably should empty that vacuum cleaner bag.

Now, to answer your questions. There's quite a few of us. I don't have any figures, of course, but thousands and thousands of Kindred worldwide, I would think. Not too many here in Sacramento at the moment, but that seems to be changing.

Mariel stops at a red light. There is no other traffic this late in the evening. YOU, she said, touching a finger lightly to Alistair's chest, are a vampire. AKA Kindred.

Your friend Lily probably drank too much of your blood, and then for whatever reason, decided to give you hers to revive you as one of us. Or maybe she planned to do that all along. It's hard to say. It's possible that she was young and inexperienced just like you are now, and killing you was a mistake that she felt sorry about.

I'm part of a Vampire Church called the Lancea et Sanctum, and I can help you get through this if you want. I know you're probably hungry now, but that will have to wait for just a bit while we get things settled here in town for you.

If you decide you want to try to make it on your own after I've given you some more info, then you're of course free to do that.

Mariel continues, I know you probably have a million questions, but let's take it slow. You have a lot to learn, and it's a lot to absorb all at once.

She pulls up to the All Hallows Church.

J
    Jak

Her words echoed in his ears, even as she kept talking. Thousands and thousands of vampires. Including me. How could the world not know?

He notices that the car has stopped and looks up to find that they have arrived at a church. He remembers that she offered to have him stay at her place. Of course. I think it would be a good idea to stay with you. Until I get my life--death? unlife?--sorted out. Thank you. He gets out of the car, closing the door behind him. I am a little hungry. That means I'm hungry for... for blood, right? God, what have I gotten myself into?

As they walk towards the door, he cannot resist making one remark: Your place is a church? That's quite an irony.

What happened to you is in no way your fault, said Mariel gently, unlocking the church's entry door and relocking it behind them. There are a lot of viewpoints about this, but I happen to believe it's part of God's plan.

Mariel watches Alistair's face closely, ready for his anger or derision.

Don't worry about being hungry. I'll put a call in right away and get you recognized in the city, and I'll help you as much as I can.

Damn it, I wish I could just jump his bones right here.

Mariel sighs, as she opens the door to her room. I guess that's not a great idea, though, she thinks regretfully. It's getting late. Would you rather sleep next to me, or would you like to be alone?

I kinda like taking care of this kid. It's almost like having a baby, she thinks happily- until her mind makes an unexpected mental jump back more than 50 years to a memory that is both exquisitely painful and (thankfully) never-fading.

Mariel looks away to avoid Alistair's notice, and waits for his response.

J
    Jak

Even while dealing with the implications of his new state, Alastair finds sleeping near her an attractive option. The result of his noble breeding's directive against refusing the wishes of a lady, of course. Alastair had never been a very lustful man before, but the desire that accompanies his hunger seems to be changing that. Changing, but not by much.

It would be, and has been, lovely to be by your side. But I think I would prefer to spend the ni--day alone. Thank you for all your help, and your hospitality. Changing his speech to reflect his new nocturnal existence was going to take some getting used to.

Mariel shows Alistair to another room, and gets ready to make a call.

J
    Jak

As Mariel moves to exit the room she has shown Alastair to, he stops her.

Wait. The members of this "vampire church" you spoke of... Do they pray?

Yes, we pray. Why do you ask? Would you like me to pray with you?

Dang, this is awkward. Most of Mariel's prayers are asking God to make things the way she wants them, but she is well-versed in the art thanks to her early upbringing, and of course- the nuns.

J
    Jak

Not if you would be uncomfortable. I was mostly curious. About whether or not God hears the prayers of... Kindred. Alastair pulls his silver and crystal rosary out of his pocket and continues. It's never mattered much to me before. I've never even been completely committed to the idea that God exists and cares enough to be looking down on us. This has always been more of a meditation for me, he says, bringing the rosary up in front of him where she can see it. But all of a sudden, the existence of a personal God seems pretty certain. What I am now can't be completely natural. It would be nice to know if he listens to people like us.

You can be sure of it. We're his Holy Messengers, after all, smiles Mariel. There's a lot I don't believe in, but I believe in Him.

Best to tell him later what sort of message we deliver.

Beautiful rosary, commented Mariel. From your family?

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread