Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
All Hallows Church of the Sanctified

(City on Fire) Up To Speed
Jan 23, 2023 - Feb 22, 2023
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Mariel has dragged her heels as long as was (in)humanly practical, and now has to face up that there will be no dead-body fairy cleaning up the local Sanctified church.

She is tired, and cranky, and filthy. They really need to empty their ashtrays here, she thinks to herself sarcastically, as she laboriously vacuums up the remains of several Definitely Dead Sanctified.

Mariel has explored the church and has claimed one of the largest rooms for herself. No sense in wasting good money on a hotel room when she had a rent-free place just waiting.

After polishing up the pews with some lemon-oil and mopping up the various entry ways with heavy-duty lemon-scented Pinesol, she is pleased with the results of her efforts.

EWWW. I feel so gross! Mariel decides to call it a night (for work-related stuff, anyway) and showers and changes into tight blue jeans and a low-cut black lace top-the flowers on the lace strategically placed so no bra was required.

Much better. She climbs into her sporty car, covers her hair with a black Hermes scarf and roars off into the night. I think I'll check out some new clubs, she decides. Club Asylum is great- hard to imagine anything better. Seriously. She smiles, thinking of Razor. I really need to figure out who owns the Asylum- maybe I can cut a deal to make a little money there.

J
    Jak

Alastair stepped out of his apartment onto 3rd Street, turned, and walked away from the river. All of this had started downtown, so it seemed the logical place to go. Not that logic seemed to be holding much sway in the world.

"A vampire? This can't be," he muttered to himself as he passed State Capitol Park. Even if he was a vampire, as the note left for him by the mysterious woman from the bar claimed, how was he supposed to find another? He needed someone to explain what had happened to him.

There can't be many vampires in the world, much less the city. Someone would know that they exist if there were. He gave himself a mental kick for beginning to assume that there were vampires at all. But the strange silence in his ears reminded him that he had no pulse. Clearly, this was a night for outlandish conjectures if there ever was one.

Alastair stopped as he reached the southeast corner of the park and put his hand in his pocket to feel the reassuring shape of his rosary, the one aspect of his low-intensity Catholic upbringing that had struck a chord with him. He could hear the competing noise of two clubs up the street to his left. As he listened, he felt a slight pang of the feeling that had been nipping at the edges of his consciousness since he had opened his eyes to discover his heart was not beating. The lust-laced thirst stirred in him an unbidden desire to visit one of those clubs and find some impressionable soul and...

He cut the thought short. He didn't want to explore the meaning of his strange thirst--acting on it was completely out of the question--until he knew what had happened to him.

Mariel is driving on the downtown city streets, checking out other clubs in the Rack area. As she slows down to see which place seems to be attracting the most kine, she feels a flash of sullen anger- and a desire to throttle someone.

What?!? The city's crawling with 'em! Mariel's beast has suddenly decided to awaken.

She drives down a block and parks the little car, walking back slowly. She sees a golden-haired Kindred male. Her blood is clearly stronger than his, and so she approaches with some confidence. He's kinda cute. The vamp's skin and hair tone remind her of her own Irish heritage.

Mariel meeting a new vamp

Hi, are you new in town?

J
    Jak

Alastair sees the attractive redhead approaching, and is suddenly filled with terror stronger than he has ever felt. His id and body command him to run, and run now.

Predator's Taint

But his ego and mind know he needs someone to help him. He fights off the urge to flee and turns to speak to her.

Yes, and I've--Who are you?

Careful, Alastair. She could just be a friendly local. I probably look as lost as I feel to anyone on the street. But what could his unnatural reaction to her be?

Mariel watched the young man's horrified expression and the successful struggle with his beast that followed. She hasn't seen quite that reaction before and is puzzled.

Most Kindred don't show their emotions like that, all out for everyone to see.

I'm Mariel, she said, holding out a hand as cold as ice. You look a little lost. Everything ok?

Mariel scans the area for other predators, in case this is a trap. But who sets up a trap on a heavily travelled public street?

J
    Jak

Unsettled and unsure, Alastair still has the good breeding to extend his own hand. As he grasps hers, he notices that it is cold. Unnaturally cold. He keeps his grasp on her hand for a few seconds, and then he is sure. He feels no pulse.

I don't think so. Are you... Alastair is unsure how to phrase his next words politely, and eventually abandons the effort. ...dead? Well, as dead as I think I am?

Ok, it's clear he's a vampire, so I'm not breaching the Masquerade here....

Well, of course I am! Check it out, said Mariel, placing the stranger's hand over where her heart would be beating. Yeah, he IS kinda cute.

But really, she said, removing his hand and taking it to hold in her own, you don't know whether you're dead or not? I'm confused.

Maybe he just woke up from torpor and thinks he's human?

Why don't you just explain it to me from the beginning. Come on, you can sit in my convertible and we'll talk. It's ok, I can help.

Mariel turns to lead the man to her car, still holding his hand. She continues to be alert for signs of other Kindred about who might be paying attention. This was just really weird.

J
    Jak

Though surprised at her suggestive actions, Alastair felt the greatest relief of his life when he realized he was not the only dead person walking the world, or even the city. He opened the passenger's door of her car, sat down, and closed the door behind him as she got in.

How much should I tell her? I don't know her, but she's in the same state I'm in. She doesn't seem worried about it though. I guess she knows what's going on.

Alastair begins slowly:

Forgive my lapse in manners. I'm a little unsettled at the moment. My name is Alastair, he says smoothly in his aristocratic Old Southern accent.

I just moved to this town a little more than a week ago. Got myself a place, and a bartending job. I'm a musician, so I line up a gig at a bar not far from here. I play for a few hours, start packing up, and a woman, called herself Lily offers to buy me a drink. We get talking about music, and seems to really appreciate it. She invites me back to her place, and I accept. That's scares me. I have no idea what I was thinking. She said she had some rare jazz recordings, a Charlie Christian and Duke Ellington duet. But I can't remember what happened at her house. All I know is I did not hear any Christian-Ellington duet.

He pauses and takes a deep breath as she smirks at this, though she seems a bit distracted.

Next I know, I'm lying on my bed back in my apartment, and it's a new night. Next I know after that, I don't have a heartbeat. As you might expect, I'm a bit disturbed. My guitar and music are in place. Everything looks normal. Except I find a note on my door from that woman. It says... He takes another deep breath. It says that I'm a vampire. And that I should find another vampire.

He checks her face for signs of shock, disbelief, or amusement at his expense.

J
    Jak

((OOC Note: I just noticed that I said Alastair's ego, in the Freudian sense, was involved in him resisting the Beast. It should actually be superego. It doesn't matter, I just wanted to correct it.))

Your sire just left a fucking NOTE?!? yelped Mariel, eyes wide, shaking her head.

This 'Lily' should have stuck around and helped you for a long time. Years. I don't understand it.

Did the note say anything else? Is she coming back?

Mariel looked around, a little nervous. Who knew how strong his Sire had been- maybe this was a test of his fitness, to see if he could survive. Sounded like something either a Dragon or a Crone might pull. Mariel didn't want to get between a sire and her childe. No frakking' way!

But she sensed no one close by. It just keeps getting weirder.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread