1 - 10
DISPLAYED
THREADID

Starseeker Glimpses

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Christian Linch
    Christian Linch

PRE

Christian had just gotten back from lunch. He had eaten what appeared to be some kind of bean curd without any real texture or taste of it's own. It had jiggled when he poked it with his fork, and his coworkers had recoiled in unspoken horror when he first had bit into it.

Now his desk was a forest of post-it notes. The computer had eight different windows open, and not one of them was any fun. And on top of the whole mess? The Presido report sat open on his desk mocking him with it's incomplete status. He realizes that he has only thirty minutes to get it finished. He picks up the phone, and dials Janice's extension. Without the statistics package she was supposed to have put together, the report was just a pile of shit.

"Janice," Christian said in his calmest, most reasonable voice. "I'm looking at the Presido report, and I have only one question. What happened to the Annual Net Usage Statistics package? I can't complete the report without it. Where is my A.N.U.S. Janice?"

She picks up the phone. You can hear her chewing gum on the other side, and imagine her fat face just going up and down up and down. "Have you tried on your chair?" She hangs up. You hate your boss sometimes. Like, all the time.

The receiver in his hand creaks in his grip as he gripped it in his gripping... grip. Damnit, his internal monologue was still out to lunch. Probably eating a cheeseburger. Gaaaaaaaaaaawd he missed cheeseburgers.

No time for feeling sorry for himself. He hung up his phone, picked it back up and then started to dial another extension, but then he stopped. He could probably get it faster if he went to people in person. I was easier to put someone on the phone off after all. He got up and headed to Barry's cubical.

He knocked on the wall of the almost private workstation to get his attention from whatever he was looking at on the computer. His monitor is positioned so that someone can't look over his shoulder to see what he's working on without stepping into the cubical itself. Christian had tried that, but Janice had always written him up when he tried.

He idly wondered why Barry never got written up.

"Almoost....done!" Barry half shouts. You hear a rapid clicking of the mouse, and then "Oh, come on in Christian." Barry says. You always have wondered what exactly it is that he's just finished, but he never gives you a straight answer.

I'm looking for the Annual Net Usage Statistics package for the Presido, and Janice is being..." Bitchy? Asinine? Her needlessly antagonistic self? "Her usual self. You always seem to know who's got what, so could you help me out? Who's got it?"

"Did you check with Alena? She had some new idea about something for the ANUS." He pronounces it an us, the lone freak of the crazy office. Then again, you get to deal with crazy Alena. Last time you made it out without too bad of an allergy attack.

"Thanks Barry"

Alena, great. Christian reached into his pocket to make sure his inhaler was still there. Yep. She had the smallest office partly cause of merit, but mostly cause if they shut the door she'd be content with e-mailing out her memos and not wandering out to all the other worker's cubicals and pestering them with all her ideas for improving whatever it was you were working on at the moment. He headed over to her office, hoping that she would be busy with something else and that she would hand over the package without much fuss. He knocked on her door.

The door opens and the wave of flower pollen assaults you. Inside you only see 20 plants. Some must have died. "Christian! I've just been looking over this anus, and made a few suggestions." The file is covered in red arrows, yellow arrows, and blue arrows; all desperately calling attention to some insignifant figure. "And you know, if you move your chair back another 3 centimeters, it would be more ergonimic. And you should really try to brighten up your cubical. Here have a hydrangea." She hands you a dying potted plant. Its sickly sweat.

Christian makes choking sounds as the plant is shoved into his hands. He can feel his throat closing up already, but he chokes out "That's great, but I need it now. The Presido report won't make sense without it. Maybe you could bring up the changes with Janice at the next staff meeting?" He sticks the toxic-feeling hydrangea into a group of other potted plants when Alena wasn't looking at him.

"Oh fine." She closes the door, leaving you with your Anus and dying Hydrangea.

Irrational anger bubbles Christian's rapidly constricting throat, but he sticks his inhaler in his mouth and takes a shot of medication to clear it out. Then he scurries over to his desk to pick out all the little sticky arrows out from the A.N.U.S.

If he hurries, and there are no other interruptions, he'll be able to have the report ready to send up the line.

There is Janice, tapping her foot by his desk.
    "Where is that Presidio report? I want it now." You marvel that the woman is even able to move due to her weight. There is also some powdered sugar on the side of her mouth. You suspect that the donut box is empty.

Deep breaths and count to ten, Christian thinks. That's supposed to help.

He clutches the A.N.U.S. to his chest like some kind of protective shield in front of him.

"I just need to clean it up first Janice, once I get that done I'll have the report sent over. I promise."

She glares at you, and continues to stare at you as you work, her foot tapping at not quite regular intervals.

In his haste to pull out all of the little markers while Janice looms over him, Christian gets no less than four papercuts. Tiny little things that don't bleed, but they burn like someone has shoved little razors coated with lemon juice under his fingernails.

But the A.N.U.S. gets fixed and put away in the finished report. He hands it to Janice, and for some inexplicable reason, he believes that this will be the one time she thanks him.

"Five minutes late." She says, yanking the report out of his hands and walking back to her office.

Christian's left eye twitches, but he has more work that he needs to do.

So much work...

Christians day ends. Finally he gets to go home.

Christian Linch
    Christian Linch

PRE

"Of Course Franicie, I would be very happy to."

Christian runs down the stairs, two at a time and already in Dalu. He wasn't in his dedicated clothes, and his shirt was torn in a couple of places. "Bull Rush! You..." He sees the scene and pulls up short "You want me to get a towel?"

Bull Rush is surprised. "Ah no um. No, thanks." He gets up. "Sorry about that, the phone fell and I had to get it." Bull Rush has this persistent smile on his face.

"Oh." Christian feels more than a little silly, running in like the Pure had staged an attack on the home, and shifts back down into Hishu. "Good news then?"

"Yeah. quite good. Francie needs me to look over a paper for her." The smile got bigger when he said her name.

"Ah" replies Starseeker, eloquent as ever. "Who's that?"

Bull Rush looks at him like he's an idiot. (again) and then his eyes go wide. "Shit. Totally forgot to tell you guys. I got so wrapped up in the...fuck. Yeah. Francie is my fiancé. She's in the Bahamas doing some archeological stuff." Oops. Not good

Christian ignores the look, like a duck ignores the rain. He was going to have to remember that, so he could use it in conversation sometime. He nods his head and grins back at Bull Rush. "Great! Is she coming here or is she mailing it?" If she was coming here, he wondered if she knew about the werewolf stuff. Did he need to move out? Sometimes he wondered if he should stop asking so many questions.

"She'll be emailing it. We can't exactly afford to fly her there and back every time for her paper." And that was enough about his fiancé. "So, I wanted to apology for slamming on you the other day at Chantay's initiation."

"Excelent-" He starts, glad that he didn't need to move out (not that he wouldn't if he was asked too), but stopped when Bull Rush changed topics. His forehead wrinkled as he thought back to that day. "About... what? The street talk?" That was the only thing he could think of that he might want to apologize for.

"Yeah. The street talk. I didn't mean to come down on you quite that hard."

He makes a shooing motion with his hands "Don't worry about it. Water off a duck's back." He smiles, unspeakably glad that he got to use the line so quickly. "Why's it such an issue?"

"My brother got killed by idiots who talked like that. After they beat up my dad and robbed our house." And its back to stoic bull rush, a little frostier than usual

"Oh." Well... [I]awwwwwwkward[I]. "You ever... talk about it with anyone?"

"Nope. Do I need to?" The look on his face says the answer is somewhere between "no" and "hell no"

"I mean, you're always so quiet and stoic and 'I'm not the Alpha' even though you act like you are, and you never talk about yourself. Like about Francie here." He points to the phone. "Your pack doesn't know anything substantial about you other than a super abridged history, that you know a whole lot of stuff and you run a bookstore where I'm not allowed touch anything, so when something like this comes up I get this weird look on my face." He points to his face to prove it - he looks concerned and curious. "So you keep quiet and we don't know where the little spots of history are that piss you off." He shrugs and bends over to pick up a sleeve that fell off of his shirt while he continues. "I mean, if you aren't going to talk about that stuff, that's fine. But I sometimes get the feeling that you don't talk about yourself because you don't want to stay here. Like after this this thing with the spirits concludes, you might pack up and leave."

Bull Rush looks at him and laughs. After a moment or two he calms down. "No. I'm not going to leave. I'm bringing my fiancé here. I'm going to be raising my family here. But your right, I don't tell you guys enough. I keep forgetting how new to this whole thing you guys are. You picked it up so fast I just sort of went along like you were a pack of guys I’d been with for a while. It felt right and natural. I don't need to tell my pack my stories, because they've already heard them. But you haven't, because i haven't had the time. So how about this. For the bachelor party, we are going to go drinking, the whole pack, and its going to be me spilling my whole history. The Wedding is sometime the second Friday in December."

Christian slaps him on the back, like a brother does. "You need to laugh more. Sorry if... Well, if I ask the wrong questions sometimes. That's a great plan though." He was going to have to talk with the others about this, make plans for a party of some kind. "How's that going to work though? Does she know about... us? And how would you explain Chantay?" If He knew anything from watching family sitcoms, a wife would find out and immediately get the wrong idea. He doubted that it would get wrapped up after this commercial break though.

"She knows enough. Don't tell her about spirits though. That part i'm leaving out. She doesn't need to know about how many there are and how they are after her and so on. Otherwise she's pretty much on the level. I told her about Chantay and she seemed to like her over the phone."

Starseeker nods his head sagely. "Do you mind if I talk to her? Ask a few questions?" He thought it would be interesting to get someone's view on things that wasn't a werewolf but still knew something about what was going on.

Bull Rush glares at Starseeker. He gets the feeling that that question skirted dangerously close to impropriety with Bull Rush's mate. "No more than 5 at a time." And the implied [I]"and not alone“[I] is palpable.

His face screws up in obvious distaste at the voiced and unvoiced restrictions. "I see." He could work with that. Maybe he could skirt around the restrictions a bit. "Well, I'm going to see if I can salvage this shirt now." He was pretty good with a needle, and while it wouldn't be a go out in public shirt all stitched up, it would be a good fixing and cleaning up stuff shirt.

Christian Linch
    Christian Linch

PRE

"You have the prettiest underwear."

"...What?" Christian looked up from his Sudoku For Beginners! book with one eyebrow raised.

"There's.... patterns in your dryer. When your boxers spin it blows my miiiind." The person speaking to him looked clean enough, but he had a spaced out look that Christian was beginning to associate with druggies.

"...Uh, thanks?"

"..." The man just stared at Christian for a moment.

"...Can I help you?" Ventured Christian, a little concerned for the man.

"I just thought you'd like to know." The stranger wanders away and Christian warily watches him circle the washing machines a couple of times, then go back to watching the dryers. He put his book away, wishing once again that he had just stuck to his routine and come in at two in the morning after his early patrol. The last month had been interesting. He got that job at the Garage, and that apartment so Bull Rush could be alone with Francie.

Thinking about her always made him think about Jen. He wondered about her, what she's done with herself, how she took him vanishing, if she was okay... He knew there was a payphone outside, maybe he could call her. But what if they were watching her and waiting for him to call her? He'd sigh if it would do him any good, he did this every time he thought about her. He almost got himself worked up to calling her and then he talked himself down.

He looked down at Sudoku For Beginners! Fuck it. He's smarter than a bunch of numbers and paper. He can beat this thing...

A depressingly short time later, his second load stops spinning in the washer. That was another thing he liked about doing his laundry at two in the morning, no one else was there and he could use all the machines for himself at once. The fact that the numbers and paper continued to kick his ass had nothing to do with his mood.

He was rooting around the drum of the washer for his last pair of jeans when he heard the door open. When he dropped his pants in the basket and looked to see who the new person was. When he saw her, he dropped the basket, spilling his pants at his feet.

The back of her head was beautiful. She has red hair. It's kinda long. She's wearing a blue shirt. Faded blue jeans. She's got a basket of clothes that she's holding against one hip. She's turning around to see what ohmygodshe'sgonnaseemegetdownyoufool!

With as much grace as he can muster, Christian ducks down and starts collecting his pants, trying to stop blushing. Maybe switching Laundry day wasn't a horrible idea after all.

Christian Linch
    Christian Linch

PRE

The ride across town is.. interesting. For one thing, Starseeker isn't a good driver, he goes to fast and likes to tailgate when he isn't speeding. It is frankly a damn miracle that he isn't pulled over by the cops once.

Then there's the music. He absently ruins Bull Rush's radio presets, destroying they carefully calibrated receiver and poisoning the speakers with Lady GaGa's "Poker Face", and he sings along with gusto and obvious enjoyment, if not any actual talent. Of all the talents he possesses, obviously taste isn't one of them.

He makes a quick stop at his place, on the edge of ACB territory, where he runs in and runs back out in a pair of ray-bans and his dedicated clothes and with a new backpack only a few moments later. Then it's off to Lemon Hill and Stockton.

Christian Linch
    Christian Linch

PRE

wham

Christian made this sound when he hit the mat. The crowd of people all made faces and sounds like "Ohhhhhhhhhh!" and "That had to hurt" and "How long has he been doing this?" Christian's response to the second statement was, yes it fucking hurt you moron. Look at the mat! There's a big ass dent where my nose plowed into it. The answer to the question was "All damn afternoon", followed by some amazingly pitiful moans of self-pity for an apex predator in Sacramento (He was sooooooo glad that his pack wasn't around to see his ass get slammed into the ground time and time again). He couldn't say these thing because the only thought going through his head was "ohmygodthisisgonnahurtwhydidn'tItakeupbasketweavi ng?"

wham

Some were making bets against who would give up first. Others were betting on how long the kid would keep being slammed into the ground before passing out.

wham

As the ground came closer to his face, time seemed to slow, and he could see exactly what happened. What he could do!

wham

Okay, what he could probably do.

wham

What he could do if this son-of-a-bitch would stop knocking him on his ass!

wham

What he could do if-

wham

wham

Wait? How did he do it twice?

wham

AH-HA! There's two of the fuckers!

wham

Oh fuck I hope I can regenerate that tooth...

wham

Starseeker, through an amazingly comprehensive overview of the process involved, learns Fighting Style: Grappling ••

Christian Linch
    Christian Linch

PRE

It was Starseeker's turn to supply dinner to the pack. So he plans ahead. At the the grocery store, he buys the following: one frozen lasagna, one round container of Ricotta cheese, one jar of extra meaty spaghetti sauce, a bag of shredded mozzarella cheese, and a People magazine.

The drive home is uneventful.

When he gets home, while the oven gets preheated, he mixes the sauce and ricotta cheese in a bowl, then applies it to the bottom and sides of the 9x11 pan. He pops the store bought lasagna out of the tin pan and sticks it in the 9x11. Then he covers the frozen meal with the rest of the sauce/cheese mixture, and sprinkles the mozzarella on top of it. It goes into the oven for 120 minutes.

For the next two hours Starseeker practices his swordsmanship and lightsaber-sound-making skills with the spatula, as well as his ability to slide across the linoleum floor in socks and underwear to the Footloose soundtrack. People magazine is read, and horrible comments are made about the clothing the stars are wearing.

When the timer dings, the lasagna looks like he spent hours crafting it from scratch with both care and skill, only one of which he had for this kind of thing.

The Lasagna goes over fantastically.

Christian Linch
    Christian Linch

PRE

Starseeker was suffering. This suffering had nothing to do with the Rage within him, it had nothing to do with the baleful feeling of silver in his wounds.

It had everything to do with the fact that he could not find the 4th season of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys.

He has stumbled across the fantastically written show at a yard sale, where someone was selling an almost complete box set. The show was, quite simply, probably the best thing he's ever seen on television. Deep, complex and yet totally understandable, not like that horrible Lord of the Flies book he had to read in High School.

His problem was that he lacked the 4th season. He had thought that it wouldn't matter, that 9 bucks was a good deal for 5 seasons of DVDs he could watch while he was waiting for stuff to finish cooking, or when he was awake but not working or patrolling, but the show had captivated him, like one of those spinney spirals hypnotists use, or the lady across the alley that didn't have curtains and liked to walk around naked, or Thulsa Doom from the Conan movie maybe. Now he couldn't just skip the 4th season, there could be continuity he might NEED in the following seasons.

So Starseeker does his thing and... seeks. Used video stores, New video stores, Bookstores, Best Buy, Wall Mart, Target, no place had Season 4. None of them could order it. Some were kind enough to look up sister stores to see if there was another location that had it, and in two cases they did.

However those locations were across the river.

And then, just as he was seriously considering a raid into Anshega territory for a season of DVDs, a miracle happened. The FYE store in the mall, the one he had been pestering for a week, found a copy. It was unopened, it was complete, it was beautiful.

It was also $250.

So, swallowing his pride, Starseeker forks over the cash. He however, suffers no buyer's remorse.

He'll just give the other episodes to Bull Rush. He'll be so impressed with such a engrossing and historically accurate show.

Starseeker, through the obsessive watching of all 83 hours and some change of all 111 Hercules: The Legendary Journeys episodes, gains Resolve 2

Christian Linch
    Christian Linch

PRE

Starseeker walked across town with a spring in his step, for all the obvious reasons. He passed the Zebra Club, now much less lit up and he wondered how the others had fared last night. He'd have to leave a note to find out.

For the next block, he replayed the highlights of the evening. He didn't even know you could do some of those things. He wondered if Bull Rush or Chantay knew. He wondered if he should tell them. He wondered why Cheetos were so messy.

Then he turned the corner and saw his car. He also saw the giant hole in the windshield, and the spiderweb of cracks radiating across it. On the driver's seat, along with the shards of windshield, was a brown, pulpy mess. Someone had thrown an apple through his windshield for some reason.

Starseeker cried out to the early morning world a message to properly convey the feeling he was feeling right now.

"Awwwwwwwwww FUCK!!!"

Then, a moment later, he shrugged. He knew what it would cost to fix this, but all in all?

"Worth it," he said aloud as he flicked the sticky sweet mess off his seat, and the sharp shards of glass.

Ahhhh, to be a man that's just had sex. There's only one thing better.

Also, now he wanted an apple.

Christian Linch
    Christian Linch

PRE

snap!

Starseeker whips his hand out of the cookie jar. He knew the house was empty, because this is about when Bull Rush was at work and his wife was off at the gym. Only someone had stuck a mousetrap right in the first place he checks for snakes in the house. He looked into the jar as he took the trap off his fingers. There was a note, which he took out and carefully unfolded to read.

Chris, stop eating my cookies.
    -Francie

"But, there could be... snakes hiding there. How would you know?" The paper ignored his verbal argument, as paper is wont to do. Much more cautious now, he investigated the rest of the kitchen, there were similar notes admonishing him stuck to the milk, juice and leftovers.

Starseeker thought this was manifestly unfair, and pondered what to do as he made a sandwich with more pickles than most would like. Obviously this was not Bull Rush speaking, since he wasn't the kind of person who left notes laying around. Likely, Francie hadn't spoken to him about this either, since Bull Rush would have called him in the middle of the night to chew him out if his wife had mentioned it.

Perhaps... it would be better not to tell Bull Rush about this. Yes. He didn't need to know about this.

Just in case, Starseeker made a quick run to the grocery store to buy an extra bag of cookies when he was done with the laundry.

Christian Linch
    Christian Linch

PRE

Christian checked his teeth in the rear view mirror before getting out of the car. It wouldn't do to show up with something growing in there. Hrm, was that a spot?

He rubbed his teeth with a finger and they made that squeeky noise that meant they were clean. Did it mean they were clean? He drags a fingernail down one of them and looks at his fingernail carefully. Nope, his teeth weren't wearing a sweater. Hrm, better make sure...

He takes out the little breath strips, those little dohickies that you put on your tongue so that you didn't have nasty man breath when you kissed someone that you were just in total awe over so they wouldn't recoil at your stench. He never liked the filthy things before his change, and since he got these fancy smelling powers the opinion of them had only gotten worse, because damn. He endures the little seizure that sweeps over him when he tastes it though, because he was manly like that.

Why was he so anxious? He looks down, yes he's wearing pants, so this wasn't that dream again. He checks his wallet, yes it's there and yes there's money in it. He checks the tickets, and yes, there's two of them front row for Into the Woods, he didn't know why he picked that show it just seemed interesting and what if she didn't like it but what if dinner ran late and they missed curtain call wait was that at the beginning or end of the play dammit he was babbling in his head again.

He takes a deep breath.

This was Alice. She liked him. He likes, well more than likes her. She's smart and pretty and so confident and her skin is so...

He looks down again. No, he tells himself sternly, maybe after the show, because we need to walk around in public for a few hours.

He gets out of the car and enters the apartment building, and he thinks to himself. Did I reserve a table? Yes I called to check twice. Don't forget to tip the waiter. Did I get the Flowers?

After a quick trip back to the car, yes, he remembered the flowers.

Now he stands in front of her door. He takes another deep breath.

He knocks. She opens the door. Why isn't she dressed? Oh my god is this the wrong date? "Alice, what's..."

She shakes her head and interrupts him. "Chris. We need to talk."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last