Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Outside The Gilded Lily and Beyond

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

((Narrator's Note: This thread branches from "Into a Gilded Cage"))

As Hector suggests to Heathcliffe that they go elsewhere to converse, both notice a shadow pass overhead as something moves through the glow cast by a nearby streetlight. Turning to follow the movement, they notice a large, black crow settle swoop down and roost atop the shelter of a nearby bus stop. It cocks its head and looks at both gentlemen, then flaps down onto the edge of a nearby garbage can. It dips its head in, and goes about pulling out various items, letting them drop, then pulling out another.

Heathcliff Staley

NOS
    PRE

"Err...you didn't happen to murder a talented young musician and his fiance' last Devil's Night, did you?" Heathcliff asks, eying the bird warily.

L
    Laufrey

Hector watches the bird and it's antics, when it looks right at the two he frowns in obvious displeasure then turns back to Heathcliff without letting the crow out of his site.

Hector thinks for a moment remembering something after Heathcliff's question and a different sort of smile, possibly satisfaction, graces his features. "That's a very interesting question, thankfully I know it's context," He pauses almost as though he wasn't going to answer when, "and no I did not. Not really my style that." He makes the last statement as if a joke but a keen individual may take it for the truth given. "However, if I didn't know any better I'd say we were being spied upon for some unknown reason, but then that's just superstition talking." He shrugs while looking unconcerned, yet never lets the bird leave his field of sight. "Still interested in a drink?" His smile is back in place as he scans the sidewalk and general area to see just how many people are about.

Heathcliff Staley

NOS
    PRE

"Yes, but," he says, advancing on the bird, "I have to satisfy my curiosity first."

Heathcliff, having reminded himself of the ominous nature animists attribute to the crow, looks to see if there's anything out of the ordinary about the trash can the crow sits upon, or in what it has removed...like an eyeball or a finger.

That's an odd reaction for most, this may be a promising new venture I've stumbled upon. Hector thought in Greek as he watched his new venture head to investigate the crow. "If you insist." Is all he says with a smile upon his lips as he again looks about to then follow Heathcliff to inspect what the crow was up to beyond the obvious hoping it really wasn't a spy, he hated spies especially of the animal variety.

Narrator Note: Go ahead and roll Wits + Animal Ken for Heathcliffe and Hector. If you don't have Animal Ken, that would be wits -1.

Heathcliff Staley

NOS
    PRE

Spoiler

L
    Laufrey

Spoiler

Narration:
    As Heathcliffe and Hector approach the bird, it leans back away from them, lifting its wings. It turns its head back and forth between them, its eyes red-rimmed, then lifts up from the edge of the garbage can and aloft with a few hard beats of its wings.

Heathcliffe realizes he's never seen a crow, or indeed any bird, behave like that. The way it reared back was more akin to how a human would back away from something or someone, and its head movement was more like the side-to-side glance of a human than the rolling manner in which birds usually move their heads. Most telling, though, was the fact that it didn't caw to express its displeasure with being approached. He's left with the distinct, and rather uncomfortable, impression that despite appearances, this crow's behavior is more human than bird.

Heathcliff Staley

NOS
    PRE

Heathcliff watches the crow fly away with a puzzled expression. He decides to wait to discuss why he felt that bird was 'wrong' with Hector until they are in the privacy of the Lily. For now, he simply looks into and around the recently vacated trash can.

If it wasn't a bird, that means it was here for a reason, he thinks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread