Martin left the chapter house, pulling his cellphone as he did, dialing as he hit the street. "Joey, it's Martin. I need you to go to City Hall tomorrow morning, and--no, I don't care if you have classes. Skip them. Yes, skip your damn classes! You'll get a bonus in your next paycheck, just go to City Hall tomorrow. I need you to gain access to the Hall of Records and research something for me--find out where the first settlers of Sacramento built this city."
A bit of music came unbidden to Martin and threatened to derail his train of thought; with some effort he pushed it aside.
"Find out where the settlers started out. As precisely as you can--if you can find a modern street address for any of the first buildings, or any prominent landmarks of the time, I'll put a couple extra hundred in your next check from the Lily. Give me a call as soon as you find anything." Martin hung up before Joey could respond; lately the boy had taken to ending conversations with "I love you," and those sort of sentiments had never been something Martin cared for. Particularly now that Joey was naught more than food with a purpose.
Whistling the tune he had thought of earlier, Martin scrolled through his phone list and came upon another number. He put the call through, waiting for it to pick up.
"Mr. Adamson? Martin Carpenter here--I do so apologize for the late call," he said, voice now smooth and calming where before he had been nearly barking orders at Joey. "I do hope I didn't disturb you? Good, good. Well, I'll make this quick; the reason I'm calling is, I seem to recall that you had a partner at your firm who decided to start up in Sacramento? Yes! Yes, Lewis Gordon, that's the one. Well, I'm here in town actually, and thought I would see if he had any room for me at his business, and... Precisely, yes. Yes! Oh, thank you, Mr. Adamson. Of course. You know, if you're ever in the capitol, don't hesitate to give me a call! I would love to show my gratitude by showing you all that Sacramento's nightlife has to offer. Of course, of course--ta. Have a pleasant evening."
As soon as he hit 'disconnect' the fake cheery smile disappeared, as he stored away Lewis Gordon's number into his phone. No need to call, not just yet. It advanced his timetable just a little bit, to have to meet Gordon so soon; he had had particular inducements in mind, to help him get involved in Gordon's business. But this was just as well. If he was able to provide information to the Prince's investigation, he would look all the better for it.