Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
To Ollie's

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last

Ollie
    Ollie

PRE

They get in Valkyrie's car and Ollie begins giving directions to his apartment. While on the way he says: "It's been a long day but I'm up for a few questions, if ya got em."

Knot
    Theo
    Occultation
    Knot

Nimbus
    Knot appears, for a moment, as a marionette, roughly carved from wood and painted in a facsimile of life, bound up in a spiderweb tangle of it's own strings, that are pulled every-which way by unseen hands.
    Theo

Mask of Tranquility
    Striking Looks (Roguish Good Looks) 2

OCC
    PRE

Val's quiret at first, while she pulls out of the parking lot. She accelerates, rapidly coming to just under the speed limit, giving everybody a few moments to look around her car. It's not dirty so much as cluttered. There's post-it notes filled out with some kinda highly personal shorthand stuck all over her dashboard, along with a bobble head doll attached just above them. His unchanging grin and beady black eyes seem to stare into Ollie's soul as he nods in time to the movements of the car. Guy meanwhile, is confronted by a white martial arts uniform of some kind hanging on a hanger from the side of the backseat, cramped somewhat further by a little box full of textbooks. There's a black belt attached to the uniform, with three little toggles of some kind on the ends. The whole thing smells like a mixture of coffee and the cardboard cherry air freshener hanging from her rear view mirror.

"Before Tyria called me in, sonofa-" Val leans on the horn as she passes some guy talking on his phone while driving. "-why don't people buy those stupid earpieces like they're supposed to? Anyway, Phrymides was talking about Orders or something. What's the deal with them?"
    Active Spells: 2e Fortune's Protection (Rote), Sybil's Sight (Improvised)

no offense but do i look like i understand anything?

S
    Sciurrus

Guy fastens his seat belt and is startled by Vals unexpected bout of road rage. "Also Val said something earlier about Shadow names? Whats that about?"

Ollie
    Ollie

PRE

"Alright, let me start with Guy's question about shadow names. Your real name has power. It's connected to who you are, ya know? Knowing someone's real name can make it easier to target them with spells. There are some mages who can target people from halfway around the world just by knowing that person's true name. That's why it's generally a good idea to pick a nickname. My parents didn't name me Ollie. I picked it because I like to skateboard. Just find a name you can get used to hearing, maybe it means something to you or maybe it doesn't. Shouldn't be a problem for you, Guy. You don't even remember your real name." The last bit is said with sympathy. It would suck to have amnesia.

"Anyway, about the orders - Take this next left. There are five orders in Awakened society. They're like groups of like-minded mages all working toward the same goal, get it? At the best of times they're working together to be some kind of ruling body, but they don't always cooperate."

"Uhh, there's the Silver Ladder, the politicians and bureaucrats. The ones who think it's their job to lead Awakened society. The Guardians of the Veil are an order who mainly think that magic needs to remain a closely guarded secret and it needs to be protected from the sleepers, sleepers being people who aren't Awakened These guys are serious, some of them are like super spies, all in disguise and shit. The Adamantine Arrow is the order that's kind of like the warrior mages. If there was like a mage army, I guess it'd be them. I mean, they're not all warriors, but their whole gig is pretty much about goin to battle with rogue mages, evil spirits, and all that bad shit. There's a lot of bad shit out there, too. The Mysterium are kind of like the librarians of the orders, except it's not just books they're after. Any kind of magical knowledge or artifact and they're all over that shit. They like to go in, get all the secrets, and then lock em away in their big vaults. Finally there's the Free Council, they're supposed to be the liberal order. They keep to the idea that they're rejecting all the old traditions of the other orders. They're, like, a democracy or something. They're kind of like the Mysterium in that they're into magical knowledge but they're not in to keeping it a secret, they want to spread it around. Not all mages join an order, though. I never did. Don't imagine I ever will. Turn right here."

He directs Val into the parking lot of a bagel shop that appears to have a second story apartment above it.

"Right up there." He points to a set of stairs on the side of the building leading up to a landing and a single door. "You comin upstairs, Val?"

Knot
    Theo
    Occultation
    Knot

Nimbus
    Knot appears, for a moment, as a marionette, roughly carved from wood and painted in a facsimile of life, bound up in a spiderweb tangle of it's own strings, that are pulled every-which way by unseen hands.
    Theo

Mask of Tranquility
    Striking Looks (Roguish Good Looks) 2

OCC
    PRE

Val parks her bug and gets out with them. "Sure, I've still got questions. Like how is it you get in contact with them? Is there some kind of wizards-of-Waverly-place-bat-signal-thing? And how did they find me so quickly? I hadn't been awake for more than a couple hours and this guy calling himself Starling pulls me aside and tries to explain things."
    Active Spells: 2e Fortune's Protection (Rote), Sybil's Sight (Improvised)

no offense but do i look like i understand anything?

S
    Sciurrus

Guy gets out of the car and stretches. Points to the bagel shop. "That must be convenient. Also are there any fringe benefits to joining an order? Free coffee? A gift certificate to Chillies after your hundredth spell? Cuz sorry but I just don't see people being altruistic enough to join organizations like that without there being something in it for them.

Ollie
    Ollie

PRE

Ollie grabs his skateboard from the car and begins heading toward the apartment, mounting the stairs, which are slightly shaky.

"Wizards of Waverly what? I dunno about a bat signal or anything like that. Honestly you really have to just know people. Honestly just a little while ago I really didn't know many Awakened in town, but I found myself needing help and I was fortunate enough to find it. That's really one of the advantages of joining an order, I guess. Makes it easier to find other mages for information and support, and shit. You guys shouldn't have any trouble getting in contact with anyone, though. You've already met one of the highest ranking mages in the city. Not bad for just having woke up."

Ollie fumbles in his pocket for his key and fumbles with the lock for a second before opening the door. A flip of a light switch reveals the layout of the apartment. A modest living room with a kitchenette, sink full of dirty dishes. One bedroom, and small bathroom. On the walls of the living room are mounted a variety of skateboards, both short and long. A table cluttered with Thrasher magazines, skateboard parts, and small tools.

"It only took Starling a couple hours to find you after you awakened, huh? Not bad. Took me a couple days for someone to find me and explain what had happened. Truth is I don't know how Starling got to you so fast. Seems like some mages just have ways of figuring it out. Could be he just took a good look at you and figured it out. Maybe you can ask him yourself next time you're at the museum."

He tosses his key on the table, where it mingles with the junk, and leans his skate against the wall.

"Honestly I couldn't tell you about benefits of joining the order. I guess some of them pay their members, like if you're working directly for them or something. I guess mages in an order would be more ready to help someone in their order with things. I guess one way you can look at it is that it's just a way to get involved with like-minded mages, ya know? If you like fighting you can join the Arrows cause they like fighting, ya know? Maybe someone will approach you trying to recruit you, or something."

He points to a comfortable looking green sofa. "That's you Guy." he walks over and has a seat on one side of the couch, gesturing to a beat up lay-z boy for Val. "Hey, I have a question for you, Guy. You really don't remember anything before the park? No strange vision? A tall building, maybe, like a tower or something?"

S
    Sciurrus

Guy sits on the other end of the couch and bites his lower lip as he tries to think back. "No... I'm sorry. Before the park everything is a blank. Why do you ask?"

"Awakenings are generally accompanied by a vision. I guess vision isn't really a good enough word, really. See, when you Awaken it means your soul has made a journey to one of the Supernal Realms and made it's mark there. This gives your soul an affinity for the powers and laws that make up those realms. See it's from the Supernal Realms that mages are able to call down their magic. There are five distinct Supernal Realms and each one is different and personified by a few distinct things, like the types of magic that define that realm. Also - and this is why I ask about the tall building - Almost all mages recall during their Awakening visiting a watchtower."

"A huge, trippy looking, mystical building. Not like anything I'd ever seen. For me it was a tower of brambles, thorny flower blossoms, and silver tinged leaves lit by the light of a crescent moon, but it can be different for everyone. I walked inside and found on a book on a stand. Inside the book, on each page, I would view an event in my life. Not so much on the page, but more like when I turned the page it's as if my consciousness would be sent back to that time, and I would experience it again. I felt like I must have been reading that book for a lifetime. Heh, I guess that's kind of what I did now that I think about it. Anyways, I made it to the last page and it was blank. I don't know what made me do it, but I snapped a thorn off of one of the brambles that the tower was made of, and I used it to etch my name in the book. And that was it, I was Awake. Everyone's Awakening is unique, depending on who they are and also to which of the five Watchtowers they awaken."

He looks to Val: "Are you comfortable talking about your Awakening?"

Ollie
    Ollie

PRE

After they'd been talking a while a buzzing in Ollie's pocket alerts him to a text message on his cellphone, he smiles when he sees Ghoster's name on it but his smile quickly disappears from his face. He fires a text back, grumbling. "Nobody told you to just go out there with the two of you, you crazy fucks.." He receives another text, at which point he jumps up, and walks over to grab his skateboard as he fires off another text. Looking up, he remembers Val and Guy. "Uhhhh... Shit. You guys hold on to those thoughts and questions. If you want you guys can stay here I'll be right back, I promise. I'm really sorry about this." At this point he grabs his skateboard, and is out the door. His footsteps can be heard stomping down the rickety stairs, his voice can be heard outside, cursing and apologizing to them even as he's running down stairs. then it's quiet in the apartment.

Meanwhile Ollie's skating at full kick towards the park. He doesn't live far away, just a few blocks, but it feels like it might as well be a hundred miles. He'd thought about asking Val for a ride...

Some kind of teacher you are already, dippin out of there and leavin them to wonder what the fuck's going on. You'd be an even worse teacher if you asked your student to drive you to a place where she could get hurt.

On the skateboard ride over he tries calling Ankh.

(( Edited by ST ))

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread