Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Ruby Glimpses

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3

Ruby
    Ruby

PRE

The last bit of sun chokes out beyond the ridge, and now it’s just the Scribner and his charge there on that desolate hill. A sliver of moon keeps them company, and all the color bleeds out of the night.

Church comes to a stop, now just a stone’s throw from the fenced enclosure, and Ruby stops on cue beside him. This point, the hush is so deep you would swear you could hear stone groaning. Maybe it does. Well, Church knocks back the fringes of his coat and hooks his thumbs in his pockets as he surveys the tiny yard. He chews on nothin’, slow and purposeful while Ruby is beset by a few unwelcome shivers, and not a small amount of unease.

You can see the headstones from here, like broken teeth all crooked and gray. If the teeth have lips, it’s the blackened loop of a wrenched iron fence. Above it’s that little chapel, phosphorescent-like now. It’s got no place here, like God dropped it and forgot where he’d left it, here in the waste.

“So are we goin’?” Ruby ventures a whisper that gets no reply. “We’re goin’ then?” A tentative step, and Church has yet to budge.

“We’re not goin’?” My poor Ruby catches herself, a little too eager to second guess. She holds frozen for a panicked, wavering moment before Church proffers a flicker of a glance before stridin' on forward through the girl's relief.

"Ah- okay," the straggler chirps, already fallin’ behind. Man, oh man he’s quick. Lord almighty, I’m the narrator and I’m strugglin’ to keep pace with the long-limbed sum’bitch.

As he goes, auburn dust kicks up underfoot all the way to the fence, though it’s gray now in the light. When the Acquisitor lays his heavy hand on the gate, the rusted banshee screeches open. It doesn’t echo like it should, the yawn of the tar sky swallows the sound as the pair step in onto baked moss. Ruby steps light on ground that ought to be sacred, six feet down to bone.

Row one. Dead man ain’t no one ________ oh they'll pay, they'll pay
    know no more. _______Row _________ two.________cut them, cut them__ Momma O'Connor loves her babies so much,
    she hopes they'll grow up strong and happy when she's _________the cold, it grips you________________ three. Baby O'Connor two and four, not a year out from their momma.

Row five.

Gregory Church's unruly curls threaten to fall onto his weathered face, the great long rig of his skeleton pulls to its full height as his boots come to a rest in front of one lonely stone. His frightened apprentice hunches with bloodless terror at his heel.

"Bobby Lou Baker! I've come callin' to set you to rest. You been clingin' too long, baby girl! Come talk to me!"

Oh God, my God, the dead, they wake.

Ruby
    Ruby

PRE

When the dead rise, they have no breath to cry out but they cry out. They do not have muscle to ache, but they ache. It was, there was, silence on Bishop Hill.

We entrust to God
    Bobby Lou Anne Baker
    1892-1903
    She was took too young

The lowest of living things are mindless, but they had mind to flee. I can hear them crawling, fleshy tubules squirming, chitin clittering. Did you know, friend, that every square foot of fertile dirt on Earth contains on average, over 43 hundred insects? They squelched out of the soil, like a forest of ruptured acne, and the moss glittered with their exodus.

ew etruts to odg
    bBoby LAu Anoe Brkea
    12N8 1W30
    was koot She oto yonug

The Cross cut sharp against Ruby's palm. She squeezed so tight. Who is screaming? There was someone screaming. No one was screaming.

I hat yoo I hayt yoo
    itz me boBi loo
    i am mad yor so laud
    i am comin to kil yoo

Charcoal letters saturated into a ragged scrawl on the face of the cracked stone, smudged with tiny awful fingerprints. Someone wrote it, wrote it in the night long ago and it never stayed gone forever. Ruby's heart thudded like hoofbeats on plank-wood, as the pink went out of her face and the air out from her lungs. I don't want to be here. Let me get up and leave. If this is a book, let me shut it, a channel let me change it. Please let me go.

!

"Bobby Lou!" Gregory called out. His rebuke was stern, saddened, and it shattered her hold on the charnel-yard. "I ain't playin' games with you. Show yourself!" Suddenly I am myself again. Ruby had found herself too. Gregory saves/saved us.

Now the Lead Coin demanded the ghost of Bobby Lou, and an echo cannot deny the dominion of Stygia. Her shadow grew out from the stone. It took the shape of a child and it waited hateful and patient, bound by the necromancer's Dweomer.

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3
Closed Thread