Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
Inquiries, Revelations and Talk of Plays

(2012) Maeve and Dirt Nap
Dec 22, 2020 - Jan 3, 2021

The night had settled upon the farm as a cloak from the day, bringing with it bright stars looking from the heavens upon those that would speak of such faithful matters in times to come. A meandering breeze found the two kindred in a spot of Hectors choosing for his new stone garden, playing with both hair and clothing not unlike a child. Trees held a border to one side with the rest opening up into the fields of night that the Circle of the Crone now called home.

Circe carries her staff of office. The wolf curls at her feet, the rattlesnake is wrapped around the staff, and one of her small creatures perches in a high branch nearby. When she first arrived at the spot, her owl was with her as well, but after talking to it in its own language for a moment, she sent it on some task.

Hector wanders about looking over the site, every so often looking to Circe and always meeting her eyes with his own. He waits to see if she would break the silence of the night, and is rewarded for his patience.

"So, Hector, can you tell me why you chose this particular spot for your garden?" Circe asks.

He stops at her question and considers before answering, and when he does he looks her in the eyes. "I'm looking to set stone down and this is the best ground I've found for it." He looks to the grouping of trees, "The trees will provide me with other odds and ins beyond inspiration from a number of the gods who like them," he turns to the open fields which make up a good a good 3/4ths of the field of vision, "And the open quality here will help keep the creativity flowing rather than stifle it, or so I've been told." His smile is a knowing one as well warm.

"It is a good spot," Circe says. "The change in terrain represents a boundary, and art and magic both often involve the crossing of boundaries." She pauses for several moments, then says "I would like you to tell me something you would wish for me to know about you. In exchange, you can ask something you wish to know about me."

Hector nods at her comments regarding boundaries being crossed with art and magic which made his smile become more a grin. The grin fades slightly as she asks him to divulge information about himself, even his own choice. Not a common occurrence on his part. He considers her several long moments, after a bit it would become apparent it wasn't her so much as her presence he was considering before him.

"Very well. Since my entrance to the Circle of the Crone I've had little loyalty to it. Mine was always to my first mentor and then the gods after they stepped into me." He allows her time to contemplate and absorb what he's said and waits to see if she responds.

Circe wears the same robes she wore during the rituals of the night before, but the hood is down, and the breeze blows a few strands of her thick, curly hair astray. She studies the night sky as she speaks.

"Does your lack of loyalty to the Circle in any way reflect a lack of loyalty to the concepts and ideals upon which the Circle is grounded?"

Hector shrugs as though entering familiar territory. "I would say not, for how else am I taught the art of Divinity if not by the gods themselves?" He motions to encompass the world as he continues, "I find the ideals more than necessary to continue, as they are aspects of my life, Requiem if it suits you." By his tone he truly means life. "I simply have no desire to be a herder of sheep or even wolves no matter what faith they claim." The wind whispers next to him while blowing his hair back slightly, highlighting his pale complexion and vibrant eyes.

"I have no problem with that," Circe says, after considering for a few moments. "Some have very simple views of faith ... devotion to a coven, or to an individual, or even to the Covenant is only deeply meaningful to the extent that devotion is based on the underlying concepts embodied in or symbolized by those things. Strength and understanding do not come from believing what one is told, but rather from discovering the truths beneath the teachings, and how those truths reveal aspects of the divine."

Hector’s smile is rather happy which reflects in his eyes. There's also a slight release of tension from him. "I'm happy to hear that, as well having someone else about that I can share things with without having to speak layman."

Circe continues. "That being said, there is a value to helping others come to that depth of understanding, and that requires someone start where they are at and nurture their faith, help them grow from there.” She turns and looks directly at Hector. “You mentioned a mentor... did this mentor serve in that role in regard to your own beliefs?"

As Circe moves on to expand upon her point and dig deeper, which he can appreciate, Hector cocks his head slightly to the side. "Helen provided me an alternate path to the one I'd had… forced upon me, as it were. Once I came into the Circle, she gave subtle direction and allowed me to make my own way, she was more of ‘there are no answers only questions’." He thinks for a moment as the wind runs across the grass between them. "So I would say so in that she let me be me rather than her pawn."

Circe thinks, then nods. "She sounds like an ideal mentor, an ideal toward which a Priestess should strive. But what of those who start out more blinded to their choices of path, those that perhaps need to be 'herded' to a certain point before they can see there are paths at all?"

Hector makes a motion with his hand as if to idly capture the essence of the wind, perhaps even the night. "I have faith that those worthy will be guided to me or another befitting by the gods or have me recognize those they find worthy. Part of enlightenment is the test of tribulation in the basic sense of stepping forward and taking your life where you want it rather than waiting for another to hand you your life. Call me elitist but I'll not waste time on those that don't even step up and ask, as it is little work to find out who's who in your own covenant."

Circe smiles. "Ah. But what if that 'waste of time,' that effort, is the sort of sacrifice or tribulation that can lead to a deepening of one's enlightenment?"

Circe pauses only long enough for her question to register, but not long enough for Hector to formulate a response, before she says. "And what would you like to know about me?"

He laughs at her response in a good matured way. "As you wish." He doesn't wait or ponder the question for Circe and simply says, "It's a really rather simple question. What do you want?" By his tone of the last word he was striking a lot deeper than most would consider. His face holds a light smile while his hair begins to flow about his face.

"That, Hector, is not a simple question at all, as you well know. It isn't even one question. What do I want in regard to what? What do I want for myself? What do I want from you? What do I want to happen to this Circle? What do I want my Requiem to be like in another century? It is a near-infinite question… which makes it a good one."

Shrugging once more, Hector replies, "Well then it's a good thing that we've plenty of time, least by my count."

Circe smiles. "Very well then." She thinks for several moments. "I want to find out who or what recently caused the destruction of so many Kindred in this Domain. I want this because such a thing is a threat to all of our kind, and because I lost several loyal to me, and one truly dear to me, to this dreadful attack. I want to make this Circle strong, such that it becomes a force to be reckoned with and serves to inspire others of our kind to explore matters of faith, and hopefully come to the Circle. I want to find someone suitable to lead this Circle after I go elsewhere, someone who will keep it strong and help it grow even stronger." She pauses for a few moments more, then adds, "I want to find someone worthy of the Embrace, someone to take the place of the childe I lost to this purge and someone who will hopefully seek a path for her Requiem which lies within the Circle, but someone also strong enough to forge her own way, rather than being simply bent to my will."

Hector walks slowly through the overgrown grass as it's rustled by the wind, the starlight shining down upon his silhouette makes for a possible wandering angel, or demon. It's evident that he pays attention even though he doesn't look at her, just by his body language. "I can understand these wants." He stops and looks her over as though looking into her soul rather than her body, the look is gentle enough. "However, remembering the story you told of yourself, I am curious if you have taken all that you need. For one thing I understand is that while those of us that travel beside the gods do need to tend to ourselves as much as those we interact with."

Circe ponders for some time before replying. "For the most part, I am very satisfied with my Requiem, or was until the destruction of my dear Selene and several who had served me faithfully for some time. I have dedicated my Requiem to exploring my faith and my connection with the Goddess, wherever that may take me, and to promoting the Circle wherever I go. Now I find myself needing... closure, if you will, and no small measure of revenge, before I can continue on my path." While saying this, Circe lets her anger surface. She does not rage, she does not scowl or raise her voice or clench her fists or even grit her teeth... but her anger is nonetheless a vislble thing, almost tangible. "I would release the Furies on those responsible for this travesty." She grins, and it is not a pretty thing. "Either literally, should the Goddess grant this, otherwise at least metaphorically."

Hector smiles as he bobs his head and he then cast a look to encompass the entire area about them and finally settling in on Circe. "Then I would say that our friends have conspired to have us meet on several levels." He then considers his next point for a long moment, "However, while the attack has been unfortunate I was present for it and survived, something I'm loath to share at large but none the less gave me some insight. As I fought the sickness that would take me, for it was a war for me at least, I was gifted with a visit from one of the gods, more of a dark goddess who changed appearance and shapes. Either way I'm not inclined to discard the attack as a tool of the divine for whatever means. Myself a tribulation, for others I would hazard the same although each must find their own meaning."

Circe sits and considers Hector's words. Though she says nothing for a time, he can tell she is deep in thought. Her small creature clambers down from the tree during this time and crawls up into her lap, and she strokes it gently, as one might a kitten. Finally she speaks again.

"I knew you were present in this Domain before this attack,” Circe says. “One of those loyal to me, he saw you and recognized you. My plan had been to contact you. I saw your presence here as potentially an omen, a sign this place is an important stop on my journey. Your surviving the experience causes me to regard your presence here not as a possible portent, but rather a certain one."

Never one for portents, Hector's smile simply widened in anticipation of this revelation. It wasn't that he felt he was important; he just didn't care what most anyone thought of him. Yet she held his attention and he waited.

Circe continues. "I do not reject your suspicion that this attack may somehow serve the divine, whether by design, by happenstance or by the Goddess willing these events to serve her purposes as well. Perhaps what happens is meant as a tribulation to test the mettle of this entire domain, or perhaps even all our kind. But even if that is so, this I know... it must be confronted."

Hector simply nods to indicate his agreement with the idea that a confrontation with those that wielded the power of final mass death was in order.

"Even that which is ordained must be confronted. The myths of the Norsemen teach this, as do the stories of the gods confronting the Titans that preceded them. If this tribulation turns out to be of a divine nature, then we prove ourselves by confronting it. And if it turns out to be no more than the machinations of some enemy, then our willingness to face the threat will put us in good stead with the Goddess."

Hector thinks, then replies "While true of the stories in the gods confronting their nemesis, I've found many an enemy to the gods in those creatures and spirits not of this world that seek to challenge them."

Circe turns to Hector "I do not yet know what part you are to play in this, but I know you are cast in an important role. My divinations confirm this, without doubt. It is possible that many others - perhaps all - that survived the ordeal also have roles to play. I hope to soon have opportunity to present my understanding of this to the Prince, that we might bring the actors together on stage, and thus that the performance might begin."

Hector walks some more, noting particular spots, as Circe continues, and he frowns for a moment when she mentions the Prince, though it soon dissipates. "I am curious as to the portent you feel I represent, and I'm sure that the domain is in for more as this was in my eyes a culling of the weak to prepare for what's ahead. I am also of the mind to seek and offer counsel elsewhere than the Prince and his Invictus, for as they may have survived, I find myself less tolerant of them. Plus, to convince them of a danger which they need help with is truly Herculean." By his tone it is obvious that he's had plenty of experience with such tasks. "And as for the others who've arrived after the event, I would say it is to them we should look, as they probably hold the keys to what comes next, although I fear the looking shall be as if through manure, for I doubt all are to be marked by the gods."

Circe looks up to the sky for a moment, then back to Hector. "As is so often the case, the omens obscure as much as they reveal. I do not know your ultimate role in this, only that it is an important one, and that it was divine will that you and I work together to common purpose. I also do not know what role the Prince and his people will play, nor those who have just walked on stage. I know only that at least some of them are fated to play important roles as well. But I believe as you do that the purge likely served to cull the weak, leaving those necessary to face what comes next and creating room for others to take their places onstage."

"I know also that the Prince and his people are looking into this matter, and that I possess information that will be of assistance to them. They may likewise possess information necessary to us." Circe turns to face Hector face on. "I will attempt to share this information, and hopefully learn what they can provide, and if an alliance is possible, so be it. If any of these efforts fail, then there are other routes we might take. Perhaps your role is to travel those routes. We will discover this when the time comes."

Shrugging, Hector replies, "Be that as it may, it would appear we see eye to eye on such matters. I still plan to interact with the others, as I've found that there are plenty of worthy not of the Covenant for whatever reason."

"Some of our faith are fools and sheep, and some of the other covenants are also touched by the divine, whether they feel the touch or not. This is why I have tasked all of you - but also specifically you, Hector - to determine the mettle of those outside the Circle. Perhaps some can be brought within. Perhaps some will be allies. Some, no doubt, will serve as foils, in which case they will be dealt with. But first we must determine which are which. Unlike Oedpius, we start the performance blind...Unaware of the other players, not able at this point to even see some of the props."

"Blind perhaps, but at least not lost," Hector opines.

"No, not lost,” Circe says in agreement. “We at least know we are onstage. And as in many mystery plays, the point is to perform the play, so that at the end there is revelation, and a beginning."

He chuckles. "Well at least I know of someone to be of interest in watching plays when I go." Circe smiles at this comment, while Hector thinks for a moment before moving on.

“I am curious as to the information you have to share, if you feel so inclined, as it's not yet my turn again." His last statement is said in a charming, devilish sort of way, as he obviously has more questions and is not nearly done or dissuaded from the recent and important tangent at current. Circe takes it in the intended spirit, and smiles before responding.

"The powers of Crúac combined with the sight bestowed by my Shadow blood allows me to perceive and examine things magical, just as the sight alone allows one to discern and analyze auras. I know that the weapon used against our kind is forged in part in the blood of our kind, but that it is enchanted also with a type of magic alien to us. It also does not appear to be akin to the magic of spirits, such as is practiced by mortal pagans, by the voudoun or by the werewolves."
    Hector's interest becomes even more pronounced as Circe reveals both personal and important information. "Well, then I would suggest we seek out some of the local mage community. For while they remain out of view I'm certain they're about."

She nods. "Yes, I agree. I have little experience with their brand of sorcery, not nearly enough to be able to determine whether this attack might be the work of their kind. But we must also be wary, because if their magic is behind this... then approaching them may draw the attention of our enemy. Indeed, we might knock on the enemy's door." Frowning, she continues. “This, also, is why I believe it wise to start with the Prince. It is not unknown in domains for one or more agencies among our kind to share information with the willworkers. In some places, it is the Ordo Dracul. Occasionally it is the Circle. But sometimes it is the court, even the Prince himself. Power speaks to power."

Hector smiles in enjoyment as she mentions knocking on the enemies door, "I would actually find that preferable and have no problem doing so. At least there is a Primigen among us to help advise us, or more notably you in this case."

Hector considers a moment. "There are also those who are, shall we say, different for time spent elsewhere, notably some kind of spirit lands. Commonly referred to as Changelings, they may have access to some abilities, but I don't know enough of them to say for sure."

Circe thinks for a moment, then shakes her head. "I know very little of the fae-touched, only that they exist, and that they are, if anything, more dedicated to their own form of Masquerade than even the most cautious of our kind. But if you have such knowledge, or care to seek it out, then that is an avenue worthy of exploration as well. Perhaps you can pursue that while I seek the ear of the Prince, through the person of the Seneschal, Dr. Brady, and yes, also through the Primogen. If my discussions with Dr. Brady are not fruitful, Jayant presents us with yet another option. His presence here is not merely a portent, but likely a blessing."

"I can see what I come up with for these others, but while I'm aware of some things, I do not know their habits." Hector is hesitant as he offers the next bit, almost as if he's receiving counsel from someone unseen. "If it would help I can add my knowledge of the Invictus to your encounters with the Prince." He again shrugs as they wind plays at him and he looks to the small forest which really wasn't.

Circe nods. "Yes, your assistance in dealing with the Prince would be most appreciated. I have had many interactions with the Invictus over the course of my Requiem. Some were cordial, some otherwise. But I do not pretend to possess any special understanding of their ways, and you may well possess insights regarding them which are different from my own."

Hector looks less than happy over the prospect, but says, "Very well, just let me know of an evening when you want to focus on that." His demeanor changes as he changes track with, "Now that that's established I believe it's your turn for a question, if you're up for it." The last is a simple tease but there is something behind it, possibly curiosity over something.

"Not a question, but a request,” Circe says. “I would like to hear more of the vision you received as you fought to survive this attack. You mentioned a dark, protean Goddess. What else can you at this time share about this vision?"

Hector looks Circe over as though looking for something, and after a few moments he apparently finds what he's looking for and says, "Very well, and a request is a question, just another type." His smile is warm as he speaks.

"I remember the pain first, as though my soul was being torn asunder and then she was there. Rather than changing from one to another she was a mixture at once of several different females from young to ancient and gorgeous to hideous with no stereo type, yet all had dark hair and eyes with milk pale skin with a dark backdrop throughout. She was not only comforting but it was as though she danced with me. It is not unlike my other rewards from my friends, as it is one of the things I seek continually, the actual touch of the divine. There was nothing or anyone else, just as though standing before me in the world. She was dressed in a flowing dress, white, which served as the only other thing to bear in mind." As he speaks of the dark goddess his voice changes to one more associated with love and or great faith, as he appears to be reliving the moment. "I can also hear her laugh, a joyous laugh to which I will find rest eternal no matter the Requiem I find tonight or in a thousand years."

Circe smiles as Hector describes the Goddess' laugh and his reaction to same, and after a moment, in a reverent tone, she asks "Did she say anything to you in words?"

His smile is knowing as he looks at Circe, "No, but she didn't need to."

Circe nods. "Thank you for sharing that. It is an honor to partake of another's experience of the divine."

Hector kneels down to place his hand into the flowing green grass, "You're welcome, few enough are able to appreciate it for what it's worth." His smile turns into a chuckle as he ponders the ground before him.

Circe scoots the little creature off her lap. It squawks and hops off. "And now it is your turn again, Hector. What else would you like to know of me, or what would you like me to know of you?"

"What indeed." A short pause as his flips his hair from out in front of him due to the winds meddling. "I can guess at the level you've achieved in the divine workings or Cruac but I'd prefer to know as I'm curious to exchange notes, as the saying goes, with one worthy."

She nods. "I have mastered multiple rituals of the fourth tier, but have not yet reached the fith step of enlightenment in darkness. For the first fourth tier ritual I mastered, I was granted my honorary title within the Circle, that of Mother of Monsters. Do you know to what that refers?"

Hector smiles as he looks at the homunculus of Circe's, "Let's see, more commonly known among the Covenant is Tiamat, then there's Lilith and even Loki despite appearing male for a shapeshifter. Beyond that, the title denotes a reward for a Mother who's focused upon creating, various monsters such as your homunculi. It also represents a step towards becoming a Crone rather than a Mother, all told something I daresay few enough are knowledgeable about."

Circe nods, clearly impressed. "Yes, correct on all counts. One other thing I want is to continue that transition. Along with the lion I lost, over the past few years I have lost many homunculi, and granted others to friends and allies. I intend in the near future to produce many others. They make excellent spies, some can serve in other roles, and all provide me a means by which I can extend my senses far beyond my physical proximity. I will need some assistance in this, both because of the physical demands of the ritual, and to procure virile living males with whom I will ritually mate as a part of this particular form of the ritual. Jayant will protect me during the ritual, as will my creatures, and Lori and Sean can help in their ways as well, but I will need someone skilled in Crúac to assist."

If anything Hectors response to the nonverbal praise is apparent humility, as he doesn't think the information that important, but rather simply necessary. "I will help in whatever capacity I can in such a case. Perhaps we would benefit if we made a bit of a study between the two of us of the art. As I'd be interested in learning more, for while the rewards are great, the gods aren't always free to offer such knowledge. Which I know well, as divine communion is the main source of my own ritual knowledge."

"Oh, I know this well. That is one reason I have spent much of my Requiem traveling about. I have studied under most of the eldest and most experienced masters of Crúac on this continent, and along the way have been taught, or occasionally received through divine vision, several rare Crúac rituals. I am glad to teach those rituals to those worthy, though in a few cases these also require specialized tribulations."

Obviously pleased by her response, Hector offers his in a manner to suggest an offering of a gentleman of old, while a bit impish he manages to pull it off with charm, "Very well then I believe it is your turn to interrogate, although I wonder if you wouldn't like to walk the lands here while we talk?" He motions with his hand to the open field while his eyes alight on something unseen for a moment before returning to Circe.

Circe stands, and without her saying a word, the wolf stirs and comes to her side. "I will walk with you for a time, but I do not think I have any further questions for the moment. Or, rather, I have many questions, but I first have much to contemplate. Also, I need to drive Lori and Sean back into town, then meet with the Seneschal." She laughts. "And somewhere in there I need to find an opportunity to feed. But I hope to talk more with you soon, and often."

Hector easily walks next to her and he nods at her words. "I understand, as I too will need transport back to the city. But there is also something I feel it best you know as well, for the sake of prudent safety. While I plan to speak with the Sanctum et Lance members here, doing so may cause a, unfortunate reaction. As I can only imagine the Sanctified of Los Angeles are none to pleased with losing so many skilled Sorcerers to me, I suspect I will have to contend with some Inquisitor or three in the future, which will undoubtedly cause complications for the covenant." He says all of it as though it's of little consequence except for the last bit.

Circe pauses for a moment, then replies. "All the better that you develop a rapport with the local Sanctified, and that we solidify our standing within the local court, before any such Inquisitors arrive. Covenant aside, few Princes welcome trouble from other Domains seeping into their own, and if we have the respect of the Prince and the local Sanctified, this affords us a certain degree of protection. I think we can achieve this with a bit of effort, especially on the part of the Court. The local Sanctified appeared to make a poor impression at Court, and I intend to make as positive a one as possible. And if worse should come, well, then, this Circle can pull together to weather and grow from the resulting tribulation. It would be good for Lori and Sean to have an opportunity to sacrifice for the Circle - not that I doubt their place among us, but rather to make sure they do not doubt themselves - and given current circumstances, it would be much better for any enemy to come from outside the domain, rather than from within. Who knows, this may end up being a good thing." She chuckles. "After all, even the Sanctified recognize the divine often works in mysterious ways."

Closed Thread