Following the directions given by Arnold, Konstantin arrives at the Avalon. He looks around the place, never having been here. "Nice place for office," he thinks to himself. He looks around for Arnold, and having no luck, looks for someone who might be able to help.

The doorman seems to recognize Konstantin, as if he'd been given his description. He makes a call on a walkie talkie and another bouncer, a burly latino, leads Konstantin to an upstairs office with an opaque tinted window overlooking the club floor. The bouncer seems a bit nervous as he opens the door to Arnold's office, holding it for Konstantin.

Konstantin nods to the bouncer as he enters the room. "Reeve Arnold. Good to see you," he says, smiling.

The bouncer hastily shuts the door, and the two of them are alone in the office. Quiet, except for the muffled bass from the music in the club. Arnold is sitting behind a large black desk. He gestures to a comfortable looking chair in front of the desk. "Konstantin. Good to see you, as well. How have you been?" he asks.

"Am doing better now, thanks." He sits in the chair. "I have finally fed enough to feel well again. We had good hunting, Hound Twist and me." He looks around and points to the desk, nodding with approval. "Nice place."

Arnold nods, genuinely smiling "I agree. The Prince is generous. What are your impressions of Hound Twist? I don't know her very well. You know she used to be Seneschal under the Prince who preceded Prince Clarke?"

Konstantin raises an eyebrow. "I did not know this, no." He considers Twist for a moment then replies to Arnold's question. "I like Twist. She was generous to me, very helpful. How she carries herself, is clear she can fight. Seems smart... sense of humor." He thinks a moment longer, then again says, simply, "I like her. Think she will make good Hound."

Arnold nods "I agree. Thanks for the input. That's not what I wanted to talk about, though. Have you ever encountered a werewolf before?"

“Yes, three times," Konstantin answered. "First time was before my first torpor... ten years or so after Embrace, in my homeland, Russia. Is how I got this, in fight," he says, pointing to the scars across his cheek. "In Russia, one of us who survives a fight with werewolf, we make sure to heal so it leaves the scar. Badge of honor."

"And there were two more times?"

"Second time, after I woke, during war. The Dragons that worked with the Nazis, they had a werewolf they had, how you say, broken his mind? I killed the Dragons, did not know how to find his tribe - he was German - so I put him out of misery, gave him good death."

Arnold nods in approval.

"Last time, in Colorado... hm, perhaps five, six years ago. Came across werewolf fight, two warring tribes. I did not take part... just watched. Beautiful to watch... fierce warriors. After, I congratulated the victors, left their territory."

"Did you know we have them living in Sacramento? It turns out that's who pulls us out of the sewers. The other hunting party in the sewers were a tribe of Werewolves."

Konstantin raises a brow again. "No, did not know this. That explains the pole weapon... werewolves, they can turn to giant wolf, or to wolf-man... huge, tall, use weapon like that as we would use big sword, one hand!" He thinks. "Huh. I thought them sorcerers... the one who used the fire. Perhaps they have tribe witches." He scratches his beard, thinking, then looks back at Arnold. "I know this. Would be much better to have werewolves as ally than as enemy. And they helped us. We are honor bound as warriors to do same for them, if we can. Would have liked it if they put us somewhere other than closet, though. Hah!"

Arnold nods "Those were my thoughts as well. I declared a status of mutual respect and recognition, and pledged my help to them should they need it. The one I talked to was named Matthew. He said he was the leader of his Tribe. He said that he knew us for what we were as soon as we mentioned we were hunting Bethem."

Konstantin nods. "This pledge, is good thing. Tribe leader, that is a sign of great strength. Yes, if they need help, I will help them. Will you talk to this Matthew again? If so, I would like to be with you. Give them my word."

"I would have it that way myself. You there with me next time. I believe Priscus O-Yama may have made some contact with them as well, though I can't be certain. He says that he met some werewolves in some sort of an out-of-body experience. Meeting Matthew helped subtantiate his claim."

"Us, O-Yama, alongside a tribe of werewolves..." Konstantin smiles, and so likes the idea his incisors lengthen to fangs without him willing it so. "That could be glorious thing."

Arnold nods "That's what I was thinking. O-Yama had already mentioned a coterie of warriors. A tribe of werewolves and a coterie of warriors would be a formidable force indeed. Anyway. How have you been adapting to the modern nights?"

Konstantin nods, still smiling. "Little could stand in way of that. And would bring great honor." To Arnold's question Konstantin shrugs. "I am learning. Still do not understand many things, but am learning way around town. Twist showed me the Rack, found good place to hunt.. Found park I am using to Haven, until find something more permanent."

"Is strange, how Prince does things in this domain. Not bad, but different."

Arnold smiles "I was about to ask, what do you think of Prince Clarke?"

"He is good. Strong leader, speaks well. Picks good people. Jayant and Twist... you... he does not surround himself with nothing but scholars and nobles."

“What is different... very open domain. Not divided up between many lords. Some places, cannot walk across city without paying tribute to three, four people. Paris is that way, Dallas..."

"Jackson was like Sacramento. More lords in this city wouldn't be bad. There are many young, upstart kindred running around." He smirks "By lords I don't necessarily mean Ventrue, of course."

Konstantin shrugs. "I am not sure which is better. I have spent most of my time as nomad. A priest once told me, though, about what happens in places like this."

"Oh? And what did he say?"

"If there are many leaders, then there is place for everyone... and if someone wants more, they have more ways to seek that..."

"If you have just one ruler, those who want more than what they have often look at the throne. That makes sense to me."

"Sometimes our kind, especially Gangrel, we are compared to wolves. That is not good comparison. Wolves know who is leader, and very few try to challenge. They find their place, mostly are content. Our kind, maybe not as wise as wolves."

"You're right about one thing, Konstantin. So many Kindred and just one Prince means that the Prince must be strong, surrounded by strong allies."

Konstantin nods. " Yes. This priest, he was wise. He talked about this as well. He said, a Prince tries to rule by himself for one of three reasons."

He holds up three fingers, then folds one down. "Some, they cannot trust others, they think to control through their own power, or fear. They do not last long. Always someone bigger, scarier, or the weaker form packs, and in a big enough pack, jackals can bring down a lion."

Arnold nods, waiting for Konstantin to continue.

Konstantin puts down another finger. "Some are just fools, they do not understand our kind, how vicious we are. They last even less than the first bunch." He folds down the last finger. "Then there is the last kind. They are strong and confident, but they know they cannot control all by themselves. They fight against our nature and find others they can trust, and if they pick the right ones, they can succeed. Just as you said."

"But one way to make that work, this priest said, was to give those others some control as well. So he does not have to rule all, and so they will fight to protect what is theirs."

Arnold spreads his hands, gesturing to the office, to the window overlooking the dancefloor.

Konstantin shrugs. "He was wise, this priest. Too bad he was put out in the sun."

"That is a shame."

"He was fucking the Prince's consort. So, not wise in all things."

"Why are we men so attracted to dangerous women?"

"The prize is all the greater if we can win it." He gets a faraway look. "I was that way as mortal. But now..." he shakes his head. "I have not had good luck with women. And their luck often turns out even worse."

"You'd have better luck than me, my friend. There are plenty of women downstairs. Just take them off premises and be discreet and you may do what you like." Arnold chuckles and is silent for a moment before he speaks again.

Konstantin nods at that, and smiles just a bit, but he still has the faraway look... remembering something. Finally he shakes his head, looks back at Arnold.

Arnold leans forward, leaning some weight on the desk which creaks as he does so. "So. How do you feel about the position of Reeve's deputy?" he asks with an ugly grin.

Konstantin pauses. Slowly the corners of his mouth rise into a smile, then a grin. "I feel that would be very, very good!"

"I'm only concerned about one thing, and that is that you are still a little unused to modern times. How do you feel about that?"

"I am used to people. It is the machines I do not understand much. But I made the small phone work," he says, smiling. "I do not read so well, but I have taught myself. If someone helps, I could do better. Same with machines. I am not stupid. I know many languages."

"I'll teach you what I know. I think you'll do fine. Have you ever held a position like this?"

He pauses, then says, simply, "I do not know. My memory of much of before the long torpor, it is not good. Sometimes I remember being a guard or a soldier, but I cannot remember who I served. Sometiems I remember it as priests, sometimes as nobles. A Shadow I talked to long ago, he said he thought I was probably a mercenary, but I do not think that is so."

“I give my word, I keep it. Is not matter of money. Is honor. Since waking, first I fought the Nazis that invaded Mother Russia. Since then, when not by myself, I have sometimes worked as... how you say, muscle? But I always kept my word."

"Then give me your word. Help me protect our new home and ensure our dominance here."

He considers for a long moment, then nods and says. "Yes, I give my word to that."

"Remind me. Do you swear allegiance to a Covenant?"

"No. Like I tell Twist, I do not have mind for politics. I have worked for Covenants, and kept my word to them, but I have never joined one." He looks a bit cautious. "Do I have to join covenant to be deputy?"

"No. You just have to swear to obey me, even knowing that I will obey the Invictus."

He nods to that. "That is fine. You have oath to uphold, I have oath to you. I wonder, though..."

"Speak freely, without fear. In the nights to come I will continue to want your unrestrained opinion."

"In my land, and in many others, the Invictus are generals, nobles. I never thought I could be one such as that. But you, Twist... you are good, honorable, but not Embraced into privilege. Yet you are Invictus. Would there be place for me as Invictus?"

Arnold smiles "This is America - a new millenia - and the covenant needs people to cement its hold in the city. I believe such a place might be possible. If you would like I can speak to Prince Clarke."

"Yes. Yes, I would like that."

Arnold nods "I will do so. Have you got any questions for me?"

Konstantin thinks for a few moments, rubbing his beard. Finally, almost reluctantly, he says "If I am to be deputy, maybe Invictus... I need to have better clothes, maybe some weapons, some useful things... but then I need place to stay, to keep them." He looks around the office, gestures to indicate the wider club. "I am not much for fancy place, but maybe somewhere, a warehouse, but also somewhere with ground to sleep within."

"All those things will be provided for you. The haven may be a bit more difficult, but we'll secure something. Until then you're welcome to stay here. There is another small office downstairs where you can keep some things. I'll give you the key."

Konstantin smiles, then nods. "Yes, this is good. My thanks, Arnold... Reeve Arnold."

"Reeve Culler is fine. We are friends, and brothers in arms. I'm glad to have you on my side. I'll talk to the Prince about what was said here and we'll be working together soon. Until then enjoy the club. Is there anything else I can do for you?"

"No, you have done much for me. More than I could ask." He looks around. "I have been by myself for many, many years. The politics of our kind... this I am not good at. But I got tired of being by myself, decided to give this place a try. It has been good decision. Fighting alongside strong warriors... this opportunity...I thank you." He holds out his hand to Arnold.

Arnold rises from his seat, walking around the desk. He takes Konstantin's hand in a firm handshake and places his other hand on his Deputy's shoulder. He looks him in the eye and smiles. "Don't mention it, my friend. I'll be contacting you soon."

"I look forward to this, Reeve Culler," Konstantin says with a wide smile.

Arnold walks over, opening the door for his friend.

"Let us see this office, yes?"

"Indeed, follow me."