Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
THREADID

Wally's First Change

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    D

This place is at once foreign and familiar. All appears to be blanketed in darkness, but there seems to be no shortness of light here. Figures seem to dart past, and are almost discernible in periphery, but to look for them is to wonder if they were ever there at all. The landscape, the flora and the fauna, this whole environment is like nothing seen elsewhere, but nothing seems out of place; it would all likely feel alien if concentrated upon, but there are more pressing matters at hand, and so the surroundings remain natural enough to be inconsequential.

I wade through the shallows of a great sea whose existence I only just noticed, and I am as naked as I was the day I was born. I was born, was I not? It doesn't seem to particularly matter. I am striding slowly toward a small island in the distance. Its sands are bright, but not like the white that tropical sand might be, or, in truth, like any sort of sand I have seen before. A handful of trees sway gently there, though I cannot feel a breeze.

I hear snarls of rage and of pain as I trudge closer to the island. It looms larger in my view, and I see a great battle taking place upon its sandy surface. Indescribable creatures are pouring onto the land from the sea from every direction--even from behind me, I realize. They swim around me, ignoring me, but I know they are not unaware of my presence. They are not sharks but they move with the same air of ferocity and cruelty, every fiber of their beings emanating the imminent havoc they will wreak.

The creatures climb onto the island and immediately begin to attack smaller group in the island's center, though who or what they are fighting I cannot tell. As I make my way up the shore myself I can see that these creatures are joining many who are already on the island, who were already carrying out what I can only assume is some sort of great hunt. Whatever is being fought must be some great and terrible beast for the creatures to be outnumbering it so vastly.

My footsteps on the sand are startling: this is like no sand I have ever encountered before. It is at once both coarse and soft, cold and warm, and more so of each extreme than I have ever felt on a beach. I step into the fray, making my way to the center, but I remain ignored by the creatures around me. Then I see what is being attacked, and I cannot understand it.

These creatures, these perfect predators that came from the water with such menace, are attacking creatures of their own kind. The ones under attack are physically the same, obviously the same bizarre species, but it soon becomes apparent that there is a key difference. The ones who emerged from the island's edges are filed with rage, with hate, with spite and with venom. The ones under attack are filled with rage just the same, but I can feel something else from them. They radiate a sense of purpose, of pride, and of dignity. The attackers are fighting against something; the attacked are fighting for something. I know that this difference means everything.

I remain ignored and continue through the fray like a ghost. As I walk several paces away from the scrum I realize, to my shock, that I have been here before. I know I have never set foot upon this spot, but at the same time I know that I am not arriving here, but returning. Here, I was torn open. Here, my skin and my veins were open, and I fled. Somehow I feel that this memory, though vague, is true, and that it will be the last time I would run from combat for a long time.

Something warm runs slowly down my chest, and I look down. That scar, suffered that day, has opened and seeps slowly. It is not blood that escapes from the wound but something else; what it is, I cannot tell. I catch some in my hand and it glistens on my fingers, and I watch a drop fall from my fingertip to the sand. I hear the fighting far behind me suddenly stop. I turn to see why.

Each creature involved in the battle is now looking my way. The ones that were attacking bare their teeth at me and snarl, slowly pacing my way like they might stalk potentially dangerous prey. The ones that were being attacked seem to confer with one another momentarily, then bound in my direction, seeming to do all in their power to be the first to reach me.

My oozing scar itches. I try to ignore it but it is too much to bear, and I scratch at it furiously. My fingernails are sharp and ragged now, but I do not notice, nor do I notice the bits of flesh that I am tearing off. It just itches so much. The murderous creatures coming toward me are now little more than an afterthought; I feel like if I cannot satisfy this itch, I will surely die. I believe that I have felt this itch all my life, but for some reason it is only coming to a head now. My fingers are longer now, and my fingernails are smoother, more claws than the nails the were, but that itch just won't stop. I keep ripping off chunks of my own skin, and it starts to feel better and better and better. So I keep scratching.

Finally it stops. I look at myself, and I discover that I am one of the creatures that have been around me all this time. And they continue to come for me, and I am not scared. I am hungry.

I am so hungry.

-:-:-||=||-:-:-

Wally woke up terrified, gasping for breath and trying desperately to regain a familiarity with his surroundings. He glanced over at the clock. 2:41 am. Shit. He sat up slowly, his head pounding. He couldn't tell if he was still drunk or if he was transitioning into a hangover. Either way, he reasoned with surprising clarity for the state he was in, some fresh air would do me some good. He slipped his jeans on quietly, doing his best not to disturb--Sheila? Shelly? Sarah?--the girl still passed out in the bed. Not that he could wake her if he wanted to; Wally just didn't want her falling out of bed and hurting herself.

He slipped his shoes on and made his way to the door, leaving his shirt behind. He'd be back in that bed in a minute anyway. Wally would have preferred to get back to his own place if he could, but he was in no condition to be riding a motorcycle anywhere, and certainly not all the way back to Davis. He almost hadn't come to this party tonight--he was reluctant to come to Sacramento at all if he didn't have to, ever since he got jumped in that parking lot--but half the team was going and the girls were supposed to be fine as hell. He chuckled softly on his way out the apartment door, thinking about the semiconscious girl still in bed. The girls had been fine, alright.

He wandered down the hall of the apartment building trying to find a staircase. He wasn't sure of how he had gotten here in the first place, much less the building's layout. The last thing he remembered was riding a bus with this girl who was probably Sarah, getting off to get pizza, then hooking up in an alley for a bit. Wally was relieved the night hadn't ended there, but it wouldn't have been the first time he had fucked a girl in an alley.

Bits and pieces of his dream started coming back to him as he made his way down the stairs. It was a little troubling, but not too bad; bits and pieces were usually all he'd get from one of those dreams. Wally had been having these strange dreams even more frequently in the weeks since that altercation downtown, but he never remembered much of them. In fact, he only really knew that they were one of those dreams because of the sense of ominousness he always woke up with, and a few common things he would remember. Many attacking few. A change. And that itch.

The itch part especially didn't make sense. His cut had actually healed rather quickly, leaving a barely discernible scar about six inches long right across his sternum, seeming to point from his left shoulder to his right armpit. Probably-Sarah had told him it was sexy. Wally had told her to shut up and get naked.

Wally reached the bottom of the stairs and walked through the small lobby of the apartment building. He passed the wall of mailboxes on the left and grabbed a phone book from a stack near the corner. The door locked from the inside, and he would need a key or someone to buzz him back in to gain reentry, but that was what the phone book was for. He propped it in between the doorframe and the door itself and stepped out to the sidewalk, stuffing his hands in his pockets. He felt something there, pulled it out, and laughed a little. I knew there was a reason a saved this, he thought with amusement, and he stuck the newly rediscovered spliff between his lips and fished for a lighter in his pocket. It, too, was there. Wally lit it and took a long drag. All he needed was a minute to clear his head.

L

It soon becomes clear to Wally that a few minutes standing out in the night air wasn't going to be enough to clear his mind, not this night. Not with memories of that dream haunting his mind, the pregnant moon's light catching his eye even more than usual. He's restless, unsettled, inflicted with a sudden urge to move. He may not know why, but there can be no doubting the sensation. And no denying it.

D

So much for fresh air. Hell, the spliff wasn't even doing anything--sure, it was getting Wally a little bit high, but it wasn't doing a thing to actually calm him down. It was only about half-smoked but he flicked it into the gutter in frustration and headed down the sidewalk. If he wasn't so wrapped up in his own head, he might have hesitated before walking down the street without a shirt on, but even then he probably would have reasoned that, at nearly three in the morning, no one was going to see him anyway. At least he was wearing shoes.

The streets, naturally, were empty, though they were far from dark. In addition to the streetlights that illuminated the night at regular intervals every few hundred feet, the three-quarter moon overhead seemed to shine more brightly than Wally had ever seen it do before. Normally he might of found the moon's brightness annoying, but tonight it seemed a comfort; in these empty streets, Wally felt like he might be the only person in the world, but at least he had the moon to keep him company.

He worked over the events of the last couple of weeks in his mind. Everything had just been so bizarre. After that scuffle in the parking lot he had gone to Kerri the trainer's place after all. Maybe it had been pity like somebody might have for a wounded puppy, or maybe it was the idea of being able to take care of a man like some women seem to instinctually want to do, but whatever it was in the end the two of them ended up in bed together Not before Kerri had patched Wally up and he had popped a Vicodin, though. She kept letting him have the painkillers for as long as he kept asking for them over the next couple of days, but to the surprise of both of them, the amount of time that the healing took wasn't really all that long. Kerri has seen the gash when he first arrived at her place, and Wally and damn sure felt it, so they both knew how long they expected it to take to heal, but the slash had started healing surprisingly quickly. Ever on his game, Wally gave Kerri all the credit for his quick recovery. She had been texting him a few times a day since then, but Wally wasn't exactly the type to call a girl back. He'd hit her up again soon, though, and she'd be mad for a little while, but she'd forgive him eventually. They always did.

Class, which had gone from boring to interesting during Wally's time as benchwarmer, wasn't interesting anymore. When he first started his classes he was constantly bored because he either didn't get it or didn't care, but this time around was different. Wally found himself constantly daydreaming--about girls, about being rich, not about anything particularly philosophical--and he just couldn't seem to stop imagining fantastic scenarios that would likely never actually happen in his life. It was as if his own life had suddenly become insufficient, even though until now he was generally content with whatever he had.

Practice was the strangest part of all. Wally thought that he was at the top of his game. He was playing hard and being more aggressive than he ever had been before. On a running play he wouldn't stop until the whistle blew, and sometimes not even then. He enjoyed himself the most when he didn't have the ball, blocking oncoming linebackers like they had been talking shit about his moms. He was never content with a solid block, either; he couldn't help but rub it in, and any defender who Wally knocked on his back was sure to get an earful of trash talk. The rest of the offense, of course, loved what they saw as Wally Heston 2.0, but the defense and the coaches were far from happy. After a few days of what Wally had felt were some of the best practices of his life, Coach called him into his office and tore him a new asshole. Wally wasn't worried about playing time, though. It wasn't like the team had fourth-string tight end.

It seemed like starting about a month ago, Wally's whole world had just sort of started shifting. There wasn't any particular event that he could point to, but everything had just started feeling--

Wally stopped. He had been walking this whole time--and it must have either been a far or fast walk, going by how hard he only now realized he was breathing--but he suddenly recognized where he was. This was the place. This was the parking lot where he had been confronted by that gangbanger. This was where he had been too stupid to run when he knew he should have. Wally could feel adrenaline start to rush through him, but he managed to calm himself down with a moment of focus. Ain't nobody here but me, he thought, reassuring himself. It's three o'clock in the damn morning. Not even thugs stay up this late. Thanks to the brightness of that three-quarter moon it was lighter here now than it had been that night weeks ago, and Wally could easily see the gang tags on the walls that he had missed then. The moonlight didn't give him the confidence to stick around, though. "I gotta get the fuck outta here," he muttered. Wally turned to leave the way he had came, hoping he could find his way back to probably-Sarah's apartment.

L

The walk was...strange, to say the least. There seemed to be a never-ending stream of phantom images out of the corner of his eye. Hulking wolves and savage men, gone the moment he turned to look at them. Brief flashes of streets turning to narrow, worn game trails or lamp-posts to vibrant trees. A few overlaying flashes of rough stone walls stretching upwards instead of buildings, entrapping him in a natural canyon.

And then it was gone as he found himself standing in that parking lot once more. Except, this time it was different. No longer an abandoned lot with broken glass scattered across the ground. It was the past, his past, his history, his story. And that called to him in a way he couldn't hope to explain. Invariably, his eyes are drawn to a darker stain on the faded blacktop. And even though the pregnant moon's light would be too weak for him to discern it at this distance, he somehow knew with absolute certainty that it was where the blood he'd spilled had splashed to the ground. And he felt that call to him above all else, found his feet beginning to approach without conscious decision.

D

Though Wally had tried to leave this place that made him understandably nervous, he found himself unable to do so. Instead he moved with a purpose not his own, as if guided by some unknowable will. The lack of self-control should have scared the shit out of him, but for some reason it didn't concern him in the least. The fact that he felt like he was moving through his own memory should have frightened him, too, but it didn't either. Shit... I am trippin', he thought hazily. What the hell was in that spliff? But he knew in his gut that the drugs had nothing to do with this.

Wally knelt next to the stain on the asphalt that had drawn him in so irresistibly. He didn't know what a bloodstain on a blacktop was supposed to look like, but he wasn't sure it looked like this. Still, he knew that this was where his blood had hit the ground. He ran his fingers across the spot and sniffed them instinctively, as if trying to track some wounded beast. It was a bizarre act to perform, but he couldn't help it; it was as if an unseen hand guided his own.

What am I doing?

Why am I here?

What's going on?

Questions raced through his mind, but out of simple curiosity instead of fear. Then one question came up that surprised Wally so much that he actually said it out loud--quietly, and under his breath, but aloud nonetheless. Those other questions had been to himself, but this one seemed directed at the world around him, this world that was somehow waking life and a dream all at once.

"Who am I?"

L

The sudden change isn't even consciously registered. But suddenly Wally is on four legs instead of two. The scents surrounding him suddenly richer, more layered, more intense than ever before. A sudden wealth of new information available to him, even if he doesn't yet know how to interpret it.

And then his senses just seem to expand even more. And suddenly he sees an overlay, himself from the not too distant past with a familiar knife-wielding man. And it proceeds, not as he remembers. Instead, he sees the multitude of possibilities, stories that might have been. A seen where he fights back and fights the guy off, a scene where he's soundly beaten, most any possibility imaginable. Sending flickers of a great deal of confusing emotions through him, building to a confusing torrent.

Until it just needs to be unleashed, until he needs to tilt his head back to the moon in the sky...and howl.

D

Wally was agitated and confused, completely overwhelmed by the sensations that flooded into his brain. An onlooker would have seen a slightly frantic wolf scurrying around an empty parking lot, but all Wally was trying to do was understand. There was so much to take in: what was silence had become a quiet chorus of noise all around him, what he could barely perceive in the darkness was now clear in the moonlight, and what he had tried, no, pretended to smell before was--oh, God, the smells were indescribable.

Then, when he thought he couldn't take anymore of this sensory overload, his whole world seemed to begin to multiply upon itself. He saw, unfolding right in front of him, his own past as it had happened here at this spot not more than a few weeks ago. He saw it, and he heard it, and he smelled it, and he felt it. But something in the corner of Wally's eye caught his attention, and he turned to see himself running at the first sight of his attacker--not something he had done, but something he could have done. Another sideways glimpse, another turn, and there he was talking enough shit to the man with the knife that he walked off in fear. Wally turned again, seeing himself fight off his attacker with ease.

He turns again, and sees another version of his past, a version that could have been. Another turn, and another vision. Another turn, and yet another vision. He was spinning in frenzied, lopsided circles now, trying to absorb every subtle detail of each of the infinite possibilities of what could have been. But the more he continued to try, the more he felt he was missing; his understanding of each unwalked path was less complete with every path he tried to memorize.

It struck him, now, that no matter what he did, he would never fully know what could have been. Wally realized that he could, at best, try to fully guess one or two possibilities in any given situation, but he will only truly know the story of the choices he makes. Would that ever be enough?

Every decision we make is its own story, he thought to himself. Clarity, it seemed, was finally beginning to return somewhat. The visions around him weren't gone, but he had stopped trying to understand them. Instead he lay, exhausted, among them. Every decision we make is a thousand choices left unmade... is a lifetime of stories untold. Wally couldn't even understand why he cared about such a thing, but at this realization he was overcome with emotion. In part, he was angry at the loss of wisdom--enraged, even--but mostly he mourned the vast loss of knowledge that comes with every move made by every living thing. Wally was still exhausted but he pulled himself to his feet, still unaware that he was standing on four of them, and let his emotions pour out of him.

Fury, at the wrongs done to him and to any others, for his inability to live a hundred lifetimes and tell the tells from all of them. Fear, caused by the strange visions that swirled around him, unwanted, unbidden, and incomprehensible. Confusion, from all the strange new sensations that flooded his brain, making him feel like his mind had been struck by lightning. And sorrow, for the loss of life that was inherent in every decision ever made--for what was a story, if not proof of having lived?

It started in his legs, moving up through his back, his stomach, and his chest, and built in his throat until it finally became too much to hold back. It came with a level of power and pain that Wally never before dreamed was possible. He shouted a war cry, he wailed a dirge, and he cried out in joy all at once. His life was over, and he knew it. His life was just beginning.

He howled.

Firebringer

PRE

Matthew's ears perk as the howl echoes through the night, and his eyes sweep upward to Luna's face. The gibbous moon, pregnant with glory, with stories not yet told ... and one just beginning. Paws pound against concrete, propelling the wolf-shadow through the city. It was time to welcome a new pup into the fold.

L

Chantay pauses mid-stride as she hears the howl drift through the night air. And here she'd been hoping for a nice, relaxing, night out on the town for a change. Still, she supposed things could be worse. A few days difference and they'd have a new Rahu on their hands, that almost always got messy. Though she was proof enough that even First Changes for those other auspices could get bloody as well.

A few seconds were spent to analyze the sound, get a firm grasp of distance and location before she was off. The heels she was wearing weren't exactly conducive to running, but thankfully she'd long ago gotten into the habit of dedicating her current outfit every time she got dressed. And soon enough there was another black-furred wolf slipping through the shadows towards the pup.

Wally, for his part, is interrupted as he catches two new scents on the wind. Familiar, in a way, human...but not. There was something wild about them, primal and dangerous. Something that struck a chord within him, even if he could not identify it. And then two lupine forms, one male one female, enter his view.

They're immediately accompanied by a barrage of phantom images. A young, beautiful, african american female standing beside a male at a golf course. The same two figures again present amongst many others in a basement, tension and anger thick in the air as she snarls at another. The she-wolf running with foes hot on her heels, the male covering her retreat with a blast of fire.

Threads woven and intertwined; the two of them connected in story. Tied together by comraderie and battles where they'd fought side by side.

Yet thoughts of battle continue to run through his mind, aggression brewing. Where did he fit within the tale?

Sorry for the delayed response here, lost track of the thread for a bit.
    Anyway...time for initiative.

Firebringer

PRE

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last

Members who have read this thread : 1

You do not have permission to view the list of names.