Watch

Make a House a Home

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 6 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last

Ruby
    Ruby

PRE

Ruby pries her attention from the recipe. Her question was supposed to be throw away, just to start a little conversation.

She looked over at him as he dutifully scrubbed away, back turned to her. He's much taller than she is, with such a serious disposition. If she were to pick a word to fit him, Sentinel wouldn't be far off.

But she'd wondered what kind of a man agrees to enforce the law with violence. Does it take a hidden cruelty? Callousness? She'd never gotten that impression from him, he was so unlike the rest of the Arrows she knew.

The Sentinel does not love his duty... but he keeps doing it. Maybe out a sense of responsibility or a need to protect people. Maybe.

Ruby needs to stop trying to read into this and say something.

She wipes her hands in a dishcloth and pulls a few errand strands of hair off her face, grey eyes darting back to her cards.

"Oh, well at the Museum? Well, mostly I'm doin' a lot of catalogin'... taking apart bits and pieces from all that doomsday ugliness. They got to be warded away, and some time we've got to figure out how they work. We might figure how best to stop something similar if we happen on it down the road." She sighs. That's a good summary anyway.

It's best if she left out her numerous requests that the materials be censored and destroyed, for fear that future generations would consider using those awful machines as a weapon.

"I'm also writin' a paper, which I haven't done in awhile. Tryin' to cozy up a little to Tyria too, see if she might drop my name as a collaborator on her latest little academic whirlwind," a whiff of envy hangs in her voice, and lingers as she pauses. The cutting knife snips effortlessly through the air, slicing down through an onion once and again. Her nimble fingers guide it with a rapid tempo.

"Between that and our new members, who by the way I could swear are goin' out their way to drive us mad, I could near pull my hair out I'm workin' so hard." Ruby laughs a little, relieved to be able to vent with someone.

PRE

"All told, I'd rather have to dodge bullets than deal with the intricacies of academia," Joshua says. "I may have it lucky compared to you.
    "What was that you were saying about some new members? We have some new folks in town that are causing trouble?" He's starting to regret his candidness about his position, and tries to steer the conversation as far away from it as possible.
    There's a "plunk" noise as he drops the sponge into the pail, grabbing some paper towels to dry off the range. If he keeps a focus on the job at hand it will make all the talk go by faster, won't it?

Ruby
    Ruby

PRE

"Trouble? Oh, no... I mean, not yet anyway. They just haven't adjusted to city life yet. All used to roughin' it in the wilderness that they forgot how precious courtesy is."

Oops
    , Ruby doesn't want to get the boys into trouble they didn't earn. Plus, Joshua seems to be steering off topic, and she was just appreciating hearing him share.

Ack! Onion tears! Ruby instinctively brings her hand up and very nearly sticks a knife in her face. Rubbing her eyes now like a little kid, she sets the knife down and tries to recover some dignity.

"Joshua, you... saw Stygia, didn't you?" Ruby fished for the right question to ask, but may have overstepped, so she backpedals a bit. "I mean, you work with Alchemy and all and I was just wondering how much you know about it." Better, but now it sounds like she's talking to an initiate. "I mean, I've been studyin' for a while now, but it's always so different from how I think, it's hard to..."

Blinking furiously, her bleary eyes begin to clear up. "To understand, like really and truly. Does that make any sense?"

"I don't know how to say it better,"
    she finishes disastrously.

Animus

+1
    SL
    PRE

The smells of cooking finally lure Animus downstairs. Looking around briefly, he spots the two of them working in the kitchen. "Ruby! I haven't seen you in a while. What have you been up to?"

PRE

Oh, thank God. Animus' timing couldn't be better, in Joshua's opinion; it keeps him from having to talk about magic, one of the things he most hated to talk about. He nods to Animus, even giving a slight smile (which, in Joshua's case, is quite slight indeed), and crosses to the kitchen window to peer outside as he hears a car tear down the road.
    Now, hopefully, Ruby will talk to the Thyrsus and let the whole other idea drop.

Theo rides up to the sanctum on his bike and knocked on the door. He planned on doing some Prime practice with the Hallow.

Ruby
    Ruby

PRE

Maybe Joshua is less a stoic guardian, and more a brick wall with a human face attached.

Sigh, at least the other boys are here.

"Animus! Haven't seen you in so long! Just in time too, I'm makin' Chili and cornbread." She indicates for him to sit on down, hoping Animus will be a little more eager to chat.

PRE

Joshua almost turns from the window, when he notices a familiar figure coming up on a bike. "Theo's here," he says to no one in particular, and heads to get the door. It opens up just a couple of seconds after Theo knocks.
    "Good evening, Theo," Joshua says. "Come on in; it sounds like Ruby's making us chili. How've you been?" With one hand he gestures towards the kitchen.

Animus

+1
    SL
    PRE

Animus flashes a smile. "I knew there was something good cooking. How's life been treating you?"

"Thanks, I''ve been fine. Busy." Theo wheels the bike in and puts it off to one side and leaving his helmet on the handles. His hair and maroon shirt are a little wet from the sweat of riding his bike.
    "Chili eh?" he sounds aprehensive. It wasn't that he disliked spicy food. No of his favorite dishes was spicy. It was that having grown up in Germany, Theo had a different idea of what qualified as spicy, very spicy and inedibly spicy.

Page 2 of 6 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last
Closed Thread