Animus had never been able to build up much of a rapport with Eclipse. Which only made what he had to say now all the more difficult. A tinge of guilt runs through him as he considers the previous meeting, the small Ladder presene in the city. But that was little reason to remain in an Order if he no longer belonged.

The elevator dings, 23rd floor. Animus steps out and, spotting Lyle, asks to speak with Eclipse.

Lyle is about to answer when Eclipse emerges from his office, noticing Animus

He smiles "Hello, Hierarch. What's the occasion?"

Animus' eyes meet Eclipse's, deep in thought, almost ... brooding. "Do you ever feel like you're caught between two worlds, never sure to which you truly belong?"

Lyle, sensing a serious conversation coming on, excuses himself from the room. Eclipse's smile fades a bit as he considers the question "When I first Awakened, I could say that I felt that way. Besides that I've always been firmly stuck on one path or another, even as a young man. Maybe then I didn't always choose it, but I learned to take to my responsibilities with conviction. Conviction can be blinding, however. That was a hard lesson learned." Eclipse looks sad, his gaze shifts to nowhere as he seems to ponder the past.

Animus nods, thnking about the answer. "For me, I guess that feeling never went away. I guess the paths I take tend to wind along the border between possibilities as often as they travel directly through one or another, if I'm making any sense."

Animus' movements betray a subtle animal characteristic that seems to become a bit more apparent as he continues speaking. It doesn't seem conscious; perhaps linked to his emotional state?

"The boundary between Orders is hardly an exception. You've seen it yourself; I'm sure Andrade did also. A warrior's spirit, and the mettle of a leader. I could fit in either Order. But lately, I've been thinking that perhaps the Order I belong to more closely is the Arrow."

There, it was out. In some ways, it's a relief to finally say it. In others, it's just a bit nerve-wracking waiting to see how the Deacon would react. But whatever happens, leaving him out of the loop until the last minute wouldn't be right. I may not be able to undo my failings, but I can be sure not to repeat them.

As Animus finishes speaking Eclipse simply nods. There's no surprise on his face, nor anger, and the sadness has disappeared. Now all that remains is a neutral expression.

"The Ungala Draconis is an honorable Order, and has always been an ally of the Silver Ladder."

"If you'll allow me the liberty, might I ask what your reason was for joining the Vox Draconis in the first place?"

Animus shrugs. "I always thought I belonged here. I thought that I could lead, and do it the right way." He gives Eclipse a thin smile. "I can't really say that that's changed. It's just that I've realized that that isn't the biggest thing that defines me."

Eclipse's change in expression certainly isn't lost on the Thyrsus. The face he shows the world, it's almost impossible to tell what relation it bears to his true emotions. Is it any wonder we've never grown close?

Eclipse nods in understanding - even smiling a little at the Thyrsus' explanation. "One must play to his own strengths. I believe that you will make a fine leader, even if it isn't in the Silver Ladder."

"Though I am saddened by your decision, I bear you no ill will. The Silver Ladder of Sacramento is suffering from lack of interest, yes, but it is my hope that having a Claw of the Dragon as the city's Hierarch might spur more action against those enemies of ours that might make the city undesirable for more peaceful Mages who only wish to seek the Silver Dream."
Eclipse speaks of the Dream with obvious reverence in his voice.

Now it's Animus' turn to nod. "That understanding is all I can hope for. It does grieve me to leave the Ladder, and you, in such a state, but I have to follow my own heart."

For the first time this meeting, Animus' eyes sparkle as a chuckle escapes his throat. "If memory serves, you can be decidedly non-peaceful when you need to be. But no, most of us shouldn't have to be warriors."

Eclipse's smile widens and he chuckles when Animus does "Truly, I surprised even myself that day. I suppose there is a season for all things, even for a silver tongued politician to take off the gloves and get his hands dirty sometimes. Still, nothing went as it should that day despite anything else."

He extends his hand for Animus to shake "I wish you the best and hope that you will stay in touch. I would like to be of help in any way I can."

Silver-tounged politician. He isn't about to say it to Eclipse's face, but that phrase neatly summed up everything about the Ladder that he wanted to get away from.

Animus returns the handshake. "Thank you for your understanding. I realize this can't have been easy on you after having already lost so much."

And so a path alters it's course. Or does it, really? Wherever my allegience, I will always walk the lines between worlds.

Eclipse shakes his head "No, it isn't. But it is often challenges that define us. I know that has been true for me."

Did he think I might be sullen or throw a fit?

"The Silver Ladder, and myself along with it, will endure as it has since the days of Atlantis. Thank you for coming to me like this, it doesn't seem like it was an easy decision for you to make."

But, then, maybe it was.

With a quick nod to Eclipse, Animus turns and leaves. Crossing the threshold into the elevator, the realization hits, in equal parts unsetling and liberating: he's committed, there can be no turning back now.