Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
11 - 20
DISPLAYED
When It Rains... (attn: Heathcliff)

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last

"You tell me," Ramirez says. He reaches in his jacket pocket and pulls out another photo, this one obviously taken from the ATM, and hands it to Heathcliff. Heathcliff appears as just a blurry blob in the photo, though shadows indicating hair and fuzzed-out facial features are evident. The other figure visible in the photo doesn't look a whole lot better, but is recognizable as the man in the photo.

"Not the best picture of you," Ramirez says, "But the other guy in that picture looks like the guy in the one you're holding."

Heathcliff Staley

NOS
    PRE

The detectives don't rattle Heathcliff. How many nights had he stood in front of the woman he loved and lied to her face while she held evidence of his indiscretions in her very hands? Just keep shoveling it on until roses start growing in it, old boy.

"Well, that does look like the other photo you showed me. But I thought I explained this already- I was panicking, breaking out in hives, punched in the head, hysterical. I couldn't see the person clearly," he responds evenly.

"Right, I got that," Detective Bryant says, nodding. "So, could you tell me again what sort of condition this fellow was in the last time you saw him that night?"

"I don't think you understand, Detective. While I was trying to avoid certain death at the hands of a peanut, I was in no state to determine anyone else's 'condition.' After I had taken my medication, whoever had attacked me had left," he finishes, exasperated. His voice is all concern when he asks, "Has something happened to him?"

Bryant looks at Ramirez, who shrugs. She says "He was found unconscious by a patrol car, not very far from the ATM where you left your card. He was taken to the hospital, where it was determined he was suffering from severe blood loss. A few blocks away, on the same night and at around the same time, a hooker nearly died of blood loss due to her neck having been cut. Some coincidence, huh?"

Ramirez asks "Do you remember seeing anything unusual that night, other than this whole mugging incident? Did you happen to notice...?" he starts to consult a little notebook.

"An Asian man with an eyepatch," Bryant says, finishing her partner's question.

Heathcliff Staley

NOS
    PRE

O-Yama. Did that crazy bastard run some poor girl through? Even if he did, letting him know the police are looking for him could be the first step towards redeeming myself to the rest of Sacramento's Kindred. Assuming they leave without me, this could be my lucky day.

"Oh, dear," Heathcliff says quietly. "I won't be going back through that neighborhood anytime soon, that's for sure. To think someone was nearly murdered just a few blocks from where I was standing..." Heathcliff trails off.

"No, I'm sure I would have remembered if I had seen an Asian man walking around that neighborhood, he would have stuck out like a sore thumb." Which he did. "Now that you mention it, I- you're going to think I'm silly, but- I thought I saw a wolf as I drove by an alley. I'm sure it's just the news reports playing tricks on my mind, and it was just a large, stray dog, but...it was a big dog." Ha!

Heathcliff is tired of their questions, tired of the demands of the sun. I know how to clear a room, he thinks to himself, remembering the fanaticism of his sire. He resists the urge to smirk as he announces. "Thank Jesus I wasn't hurt worse than I was." He puts on the look of someone who's just remembered something important. "Have either of you detectives heard the Good News about God's Only Son? I'm sure I have some pamphlets somewhere..." Heathcliff walks in the kitchen, turns his back to the officers so they can't see him grinning as he rifles through a drawer.

((ST Note: Hah! Go ahead and roll Manipulation + Subterfuge +1))

Heathcliff Staley

NOS
    PRE

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

"Wolf, huh?" Ramirez says, glancing at his partner.

Then when Heathcliff starts talking about Good News, Bryant says "That's alright, Mr. Staley. If we have any more questions, we'll be in touch."

Heathcliff gets the distinct impression the officers haven't completely bought his account of things, but he can't tell if they think he's lying or just crazy.

Heathcliff Staley

NOS
    PRE

Finally. Thank Saint Sebastian! Heathcliff manages to look disappointed that the detectives were choosing to leave now, just as he was on the verge of discovering the (non-existent) panoply of informative and enthusiastic pamphlets.

"Oh. Alright then. I'll see you out," he sighs, shuts the drawer, and makes his way to the door and holds it open for the officers. "Please take care, detectives. I'll keep you both in my prayers."

They don't seem to have bought my story, but they're not calling BS, and my wrists are still wonderfully free of those matching stainless-steel bracelets they're carrying. I'll take it.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread