The central area of the Sanctum has been entirely rearranged, to the point where Animus barely recognizes the Living Stone's old Sanctum.

The walls have literally been shifted, rearranged and reshaped to enforce a geometric symmetry to the structure. The entrance is a tiny circular foyer and mud room, which opens into a double-windered stairwell and arched entrances to the right and left. The banisters have yet to go up, and the wood is unfinished and exposed. The entrance seems empty without a table in its center.

Ruby stands patiently in the entranceway for Animus, dressy but casual in a reserved orange-copper colored top with overlong sleeves and purple shorts with simple black nylons and closed toed dress sneakers. Okay, maybe just a little eclectic.

Animus takes a moment to look around, before turning back to Ruby. A smile touches his lips. "Are you sure this is the right place?" He chuckles. "It's so different from when the Living Stones were together. It suits you. And I'm glad the place is getting use."

The new Hierarch is certainly far removed from the sad state he had been in after the Kruegans' and museum attacks. It seems time has done well by him.

"Allow me to welcome the Heirarch into my humble Sanctum." Ruby welcomes her friend with a curtsy and a wry expression. A hint of glitter has found its way back into her eyes, a hope she shares with Animus that the city's challenges will be overcome in time.

"Come on over! Ah've set up an little dinin' room off to th' East side. Ain't furnished much as Ah had to throw so much out, but Ah do believe I saved your chair!" Ruby scurries Animus further in and to the right into the Salon.

There are only two seats remaining, along with a small table and a pitcher of Ruby's sweet tea. It occurs to Animus that the chair she is referring to was more Theo's favorite.

Animus chuckles. "Keep that up and I'm going to have to start calling you Councilor."

He pauses just an instant at the chair. Theo. One freak accident, and ... gone. Nonetheless, he takes the seat, although his expression has become just a bit more pensive. "Anyway, what was it you wanted to talk about?"

Ruby takes the seat across from Animus, her hands lightly resting together on the chair's arm closest to her guest.

"Well, I suppose the reason I meant to speak to you has changed a bit, given a surprise or two." Going from middle management to two of the leading positions in the city's Consilium changes things doesn't it?

"But mostly, I was hopin' we could start makin' plans for the future of the city. After these fools get brought to justice, after the Ley gets fixed, after all that, what next? Sacramento's got to have somethin' to look forward to."

Animus considers for a moment. "Who's to say new threats won't crop up? I mean, we thought we were home free after Discovery Park. I guess, if anything, that just makes it more important that the people look forward to something, but we can't leave it contingent on having every problem solved."

"Great minds," Ruby winks, glad that they are on the same page. She pours two iced teas, leaving one for Animus and taking a sip of her own.

"I am talkin' about securin' territory and new safe houses. Puttin' Cabals in all the empty Hallows we got skeleton crewed right now, a task force to locate and identify new Awakenin's in case we need to get t' folks before the Seers or the Loonies do, and we desperately need a place more tasteful than the Rage that we can gather at." Ruby leans back into the comfort of her seat, with her 'you know Ah'm right' face on.

"That'll be plenty to chew on for now, don't you think?"

Animus considers Ruby's suggestions. "It is rather a lot to focus on. I think setting Cabals up on the Hallows is going to be rather tricky, at least in the near future. With the Nine-Linked Chain dissolving, I think the Neidan are the only formally recognized Cabal." He shrugs. "Then again, the promise of a Hallow might be just the enticement people need to encourage Cabal formation."

"The other two are a bit trickier, at least from my standpoint. It eems like identifying Awakenings would be more down your and ... Rosh's alleys." Slight hesitation, as if he had to force himself to not say Spade. "And don't ask me about meeting places, unless you want to end up with the zoo or a park." He chuckles slightly.

"Well, you are going to be tickled pink, because I have got good news in each and every one of those departments." Isn't Animus lucky to have Ruby in his city? "I will have you know that I will be forming a Cabal myself, likely pullin' in a few wayward souls while I'm at it. I will also be donatin' my old studio to the Consilium as a meetin' place and point of refuge. It'll need fixin' and someone will have to maintain it, might even need some attention from some of your Sentinel friends now and again, but it'll serve."

"Once we're all set up, feel just a bit safer, I will be glad to help Shepherd lost Souls new woke to where they belong. The Awakened have every right to feel they belong here in the Pentacle."

Animus breaks into a grin. "I knew there was a reason I wanted you as a Councilor. You've been awfully busy, it seems. Have you thought of a name for your Cabal yet, or were you going to wait and see who was joining you first?"

"A Cabal for civilized times ought to have a civilized name. La Saḷn Luissánt will take responsibility to ensure that the enlightened do not, in these times of trial, descend into savagery. Folks have fought too hard, you've fought too hard, to have the rest of us lose what it is' meant fightin' for."

"Glad to hear it. Might I ask what the name means? And how are things going with Rosh?"

"The Salons were meetin' places of culture and thinking. Ladies would hold parties in their livin' rooms and invite the greatest luminaries of their times to discuss Art and Philosophy. Places like that were where Voltaire, Montesquieu, Condorcet, and Jean-Jacques Rousseau shared and explored their ideas. Birthplace of the French, an' by extension, American revolution, was at the foot of a Marquess' recliner." Ruby giggles, enraptured by the idea. "There they were, ladies of elegance, changin' the whole world just servin' tea and holdin' dinner parties!"

"The environment will be good for Rosh. He'll be a regular gentleman in no time. I hope."

Animus grins, quite taken in by the description. Ruby might notice a slight animal quality to his movements. "That's quite the history you're aspiring to. I'll have to see what I can do about keeping the Consilium in a state where such a place can thrive."

Have you ever seen a man uncomfortable in his own skin? You ever wonder what a hunter looks like in a bonnet and petticoat? Animus is the man who thought he could reach God by forgetting how to be human.

Ruby isn't aware of the nature of the change, but recognizes that Sacramento has given out too much hurt for him to be the same man he was when he arrived.

"Thank you Animus, city couldn't be in better hands."

"Thanks for the complement, Ruby, I appreciate it."

For the briefest instant, Animus almost feels like he's being judged. He quickly pushes it aside. With as long as they had been friends, surely Ruby accepted who he was, right?

"You know, a lot has happened since you left."

"And there's more still to come. Why? What's on your mind, Animus?"

"I've felt for a long time like I walk the line between the Arrow and Ladder's mentality. Recently I realized just which side I fall on, and I'm working toward joining the Arrow."

Well that... that's a surprise. "Hm," Ruby manages, trying to think of the right thing to say. From one point of view, Animus might be right to jump a sinking ship, but to abandon their ideals for those of the Arrow?

"You know... Animus... their war never ends." Might not be the best way to start off, but not much choice now but to continue. "What I mean to say is, I understand we're fightin' now, and we got a lot to protect... But if we ever win, even if we win, the Arrow won't stop. They can't abide peace, can't enjoy victory. If they don't have an enemy, they'll find a new one, if they can't find one, they'll make one."

"... I hope you know that."
She also hopes she hasn't overstepped her bounds either.

"But their war can't end, because there will always be new threats, no need to make up our own. And Ruby, if my life is a constant war, but I can keep the dangers away from you, so you can know peace, that's worth it in my book."

So you will be the hurricane, and I must be satisfied by the eye? Sounds less like a nation, and more like a zoo.

"Animus, we've come to a time where our choices start to shape our soul. If you choose this path... it will change what you carry with you, when you..."

"I just want to make sure you don't limit your potential,"
Ruby settles on. "I'm sorry, let's change the subject. Let's just enjoy this time before we all have to go back to bein' leaders of the wise." She tries to wave off her concerns. Ruby could risk pushing away a friend if she pursues the matter further.

Judging.

Maybe she just couldn't help it. After all, it seemed to come all too easily to Obrimos mages. Regardless, the last year hadn't changed her the way it had him. Perhaps, in a way, that was cause for hope.

Whatever. It's not worth losing a friend over.

Animus greatfully agrees to the change in subject, and conversation soon shifts to Ruby's plans to decorate. Twenty minutes later, Animus thanks Ruby for her hospitality and departs, the moment of tension well behind them.