Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
I want to know everything about you, you sons of bitches

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last

Ruby
    Ruby

PRE

"Howdy and good morning! I was just callin' to confirm a nine-thirty appointment with Mr. Hauzmann? Right. Pertainin' to property titles and deeds. And the standard rate..." Blanche. "Of course. Sounds reasonable."

Ruby nuzzles her phone with her shoulder, hand over hand on the steering wheel. Her red Jetta takes a smooth right and glides to a stop in a 30 minute loading zone, 30 yards from the bus stop.

"Well thank you very much, we'll be in shortly." Conversation closes with electric disconnect, and Ruby sequesters her work phone into a simple, somber grey purse.

Today she's dressed professionally, in resolute navy with sharp corners. Her shoes are sleek and economically spartan, her hair tightly bunned, and her lipstick the subdued pink of 'don't waste my time.'

Seven minutes early, she wonders if Jack takes promptness seriously.

PRE

New Mana System Oblation
    At least in this case, apparently Jack does take promptness seriously. He hopped off the bus five minutes before the designated time, carrying his usual backpack with him. He's dressed casually like usual. Today's "outfit" consisted of navy blue cargo shorts and a tan T-shirt with an equally blue stripe across the chest and down the sleeves

Seeing Ruby sitting in her car, he gives her a short wave as he makes his way to the passenger's door and lets himself in, placing his backpack under his long, hairy legs.

"Hey Ruby," Jack says with a smile. "Long time, no see. Figured I didn't want to have to worry about feeding a meter."

Ruby
    Ruby

PRE

"Good mornin' Jack." Ruby is withdrawn today, focused. Her voice is still kind, but in the way a teacher with something more important to do might be.

"I hear you're a Counsilor now?" Ruby wonders who put him up to it. Probably Tyria. The car growls to life and pulls out. "Congratulations, dear. I hope it's been going well."

PRE

"Thanks..." While Ruby is probably too busy driving to notice, Jack's smile droops. He shifts a bit so his arm is on the windowsill propping his head as he looks out the window.

"It's... not all it's hyped up to be..." he says solemnly as he remembers swimming away from the kids in the river, hearing the cries and glubs of the one who drowned because the three Enchanters hadn't communicated. Because he had panicked, thinking the only way to save people was by straight up swimming to shore.

Ruby
    Ruby

PRE

"Well, you've got to make the most of it." Ruby replies. Out of context, Jack's regret sounds like a gripe about the burden of responsibility. She doesn't blame him, not at his age.

"What about your studies? Have the Curator or Phrymides been helpin' you out?" Red light.

PRE

Glad for the change in subject, he responds, "Well~ For the most part, I've been busy with that project the Curator has me working on, still... The situation with the Tower Bridge is pretty bad, if you haven't heard...

"Whenever I got the chance, though, I was able to get some studying on Prime and Fate done on my own or with my mentor in San Fran'. I even was able to figure out how to work with Forces, a bit,"
    Jack finishes, his outward positive attitude now reestablished.

Ruby
    Ruby

PRE

"The bridge... yes that will be a problem. You'll have to fill me in on th' details." Ruby starts to wonder how and when this city will ever be safe. But at least Jack is progressing, he has a lot of growth ahead of him and it's impressive that he would take on the Keys of God's Might along the Path of the Thorn.

"What's your Mentor's name, Jack? Would I know her?" How long since she left her own mentor? What even were they now?

PRE

Jack thinks back through everything. "Well, the short version is that the Bridge has a very powerful spell that spans the 5 Arcana of Space, Matter, Prime, Time, and Fate. It's also veiled; we've had to cast ritualized Sights to even be able to scrutinize.

"When two other Enchanters and I went to look at the underside of the bridge, our boat was disintegrated. Probably a powerful necromancer. At least Jordan was able to recognize some runes under the Bridge that were in the same journals that Trench had given him." Talk about a blast from the past...

"As for my mentor... I'm not sure if you have or haven't... He's a Censor for the Mysterium in S.F. who goes by Arthur,"
    Jack offers.

Ruby
    Ruby

PRE

"Disintegrated? Jack, I'm afraid that sounds like the work of a Master. Unless he was on the boat with you at the time." Is that worse or better?

"Any progress on connectin' the runes Theo uncovered in the Ley and their source?" Ruby had gone through Theo's things extensively, as well as all of Jack's notes before she had left Sacramento. But not the notebooks, and none of his recent reports.

So far it doesn't sound like Jack's been doing so bad a job at all. Which makes it all the more a shame that his Mentor is little more than a Censor.

He deserves better tutelage.

Then Ruby's phone chirps. She fishes it out of her purse and checks the number before answering.

"Hello Aurum, I'm driving so I'm going to put you on with Jack. Just one second."

She passes the phone rightward.

PRE

Jack accepts the phone and speaks, "Ruby's phone, Jack speaking."

He relays to Ruby, "She wants to meet up... She just got your message."

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread