Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin Werewolf: The Forsaken on the Wiki
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
THREADID

After work

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last

Jolene sat outside of Palm Auto, in a lawn chair with more than a few of its rump supports missing, with Vinnie - her boss there at the shop. It was their after-closing routine, right around 6 o'clock (sometimes later much to their distaste) Jo would put her tools up, go outside, sit in her half rotten lawn chair and wait for Vinnie to come out and offer her beer then they'd just sit there - for hours at a time. Most nights the conversation topic of choice between the two of them was the crazy customers but tonight they sat in silence. They watched as the sun sink low behind the Sacramento skyline and the warm spring day faded into a cool night that still had the last of winter's sharp claws clinging to the breeze.

The night air made her feel wild, it called to her, it made her feel like abandoning this facade of being human for the first time in quite awhile. Typically the work at the shop made her content to stay but tonight she'd try again to contact the others and find a real pack. No offense to Vincent of course.

She left the shop just as dusk had fallen walking down the sidewalk with no real destination in mind. Though her feet seem to lead her to the nearest park. The perfect place to either meet another wolf or leave a message for them. Standing at the entrance to the park she finds the temptation to turn to her true wolf form and run the length of the yard is strong, but she waits, choosing to walk the park in hishu at first.

Nyda has spent most of the day in the park. The idea of spending a beautiful day like this inside while going through the newspaper was more then she could stand. She wanted to find a job, yes, but the hunting for one didn't have to be depressing, did it?

As the last rays of the sun had begun to fade, Nyda finally folds the newspaper back up neatly. She hadn't found much to peak her interest. She knew this was going to be a difficult task. DSespite her vast amount of experience, she had nothing for credentials. She didn't have a diploma or a degree and had precious few people reliable enough to call a reference. Stll, she was hoping they would give her a chance to get under the hood of a car. If she could get to that point then she could snag a job for sure. Then she would concentrate on the credentials part of her life.

She leans back on the bench and closes her eyes. The fresh air (or as fresh as one can expect) washes across her face and makes her smile. A new city, a new life. She hopes that will be the case.
    If we shadows have offended
    Think but this, and all is mended......

Jolene strolls through the park slowly, looking at the trees and landscape. Just as she was wondering if any other Forsaken frequent it enough for her to leave a message here she catches a scent. It was light, far off, and her senses were filled with the smell of oil from her hands and clothes but she still managed to catch the scent off the cool night air. Turning to follow it she hears the rustle of a newspaper being folded up. The sound leads her to a bench where a colorful haired woman is stretched out with her eyes closed.

"Nice night, hm? Makes me want to go for a run," she says, her southern accented voice breaking the peace of the park's natural sounds. She's a few feet away from the bench - keeping a safe and respectful distance (just in case).

Nyda sits up suddenly, surprised. She had not heard the other woman's approach. Belatedly she gives a bit of a shy smile but nods and moves over so the woman could sit if she wanted to.

"Yeah, I've spent most of the day here actually. I didn't want to waste a nice day like this job hunting inside." She indicates the newspaper. "Can't say I've had a great deal of luck but I guess I shouldn't be surprised."

Jolene moves closer then drops into the available seat on the bench, "Just got to talk to the locals, they always know good places that need help. What kind of work ya' looking for, if you don't mind my askin'?"

Nyda considers the idea. Maybe she was right, talking to the locals might get her into some place decent. It might also get her past her lack of credentials problem.

"I'm a mechanic." She says simply with a shrug. "I can pretty much work on anything that has wheels. Been doing it since I was about six. Not having much luck in the local paper though. I was considering walking around the city tomorrow and just asking to fill out applications."

She knew that tactic wouldn't work very well though. Most people want to see what you can do put down on paper and Nyda doesn't have a whole lot of that.

Jolene seems a tad surprised at the stranger's answer. "A mechanic, really? That's a crazy coincidence. My dad had his own garage. I worked in it my whole life until... Until, he died," she explains, a look of guilt washing over her - turning her pallor a sickly pale as though her father's ghost had just walked by her line of sight.

After a moment of silence she continues, her voice more grim for having mentioned the past. "I had a hard enough time convincing Vinnie that I was a competent mechanic. He'll never believe that there's two women in Sacramento that are good with a wrench."

Jo's clothes and hands are blotted with black oil and grease, it apparent that she must have a had a long day at a shop of sorts.

Nyda's eyes widen at the mention of her father's death. "I'm so sorry." She says softly, remembering how she felt when he own father had been sent to jail leaving her alone to be shoved into the system. Those had not been fun years for her.

"My father taught me as well. He went to jail a long time ago though. Still hasn't gotten out."

She spends a few moments in her own misery before shoving it aside and giving the girl a wide smile. "I know all about men who think a woman has no business being under a car. I've been dealing with that my whole life. And let me tell you, I'm not that old. Maybe if you put a wrench in my hand I can show him what I can do?"

Jolene shakes her head slowly showing her remorse for both of their father situations. at least you weren't the reason he's gone, she thinks, the words accompanied by graphic memories of fur and blood.

"You can certainly give it a try. Its good work," she says, taking a little note pad out of her back pocket along with one of those little pencils you use to fill out lottery tickets or keep score at a mini golf course. As she flips to a blank page and starts to write she continues, "My name's Jo and the shop's called Palm Auto. Can't miss it, its got a real tall palm tree right out front just like its name suggests. Vincent Marino owns it, we call him Vinnie."

Jolene rips out the page of the notebook she was writing on and hands it to Nyda. It says "Palm Auto, Vincent Marino" followed by an address that's literally minutes away and a local phone number.

"Don't tell I sent you at first though. That'll just make him think that us powder puffs are trying to take over his shop," she requests, a chuckle raising up past the misery she felt earlier.

Nyda smiles as she takes the paper. "Oh don't worry, I think I can manage to look suitably innocent when I need to. I'm Nyda by the way."

She pauses for a moment and looks down at her interesting attire. Normal for her and New York really but not so much for the park she thinks. "Do I look like a powder puff?" She asks in a serious tone, wondering if maybe it's time to change her style.

"What time does the shop open, by the way? I'll want to "wander" over there early in case it goes awry and I have to continue to job hunt. And thanks for the opportunity." This time the smile is full and genuine. Nothing makes Nyda happier then being under a car.

Ok, that's a lie. Being under a man, under a car makes her happier, but thats about it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last