The Four Seasons throne room was fast becoming the new Queen's domicile away from her apartment as she got to grips with the running and organisation of a freehold. Around her, the room was a bastion to Spring as flowers bloomed, young bucks grazed upon the grass, birds tweeted overhead and a breeze blew through. It was true that she still needed to hold a meeting with her compatriots of the other Courts but for the time being, thigns within her own Court seemed quiet.

If this was a good thing had yet to show itself.

Alice lay on her belly in the grass on the floor of the massive throne room, her light green blouse blending into her surroundings. With her chin resting on her forearms she watched the animals around her go about their business. Her tail poked out over the waistband of her low-cut jeans and moved lazily back and forth. She still was not used to this blasted tail and now she had to wear her pants so low that she feared she was coming across far sluttier than she intended to just to be comfortable. It felt like her backside was always half exposed these days.

I really need to wear more skirts, she absentmindedly thought to herself.

She closed her eyes and her large fox ears perked up as she enjoyed the sound of the birds singing and conversing with one another. She took a deep breath and could smell the heavy scent of flowers in the air. Spring was such a magical time. A time where many animals got friskier after a long winter and turned their eyes toward companionship. Everything was perfect, and yet she had no one to revel with and enjoy this Spring day as was proper. Her tail drooped slightly at this realization of the fact that she was once again all alone.

What did I do wrong? I don't understand.

As Alice thought on fae matters, the double doors of her throne room knocked politely, a trait she had come to recognise as that of Mr. Bates, the manager of the Four Seasons who automatically takes the reins to aid whomever was the current ruler of the freehold.

Eyes still closed she heard the knock at the door. Unmoving she rested on the spongy earth and soft grass. That's Bates I bet. I suppose that also means I have to stand up and act dignified. Fuck it, it's too nice a day for that.

Her body lay perpendicular to the door so she turned her head to the right and rested it on her arms again to see who would come through as she called out, "Enter."

The doors open swiftly and indeed, the lithe yet upright figure of Mr. Bates enters. If he has any concern regarding Alice's pose, he covers it very well.

"My Queen, there is a man at reception seeking an audience with yourself. He asked for you by name and says that you both have mutual contacts."

Alice sighed heavily, hoping he'd be interesting at least. "Very well. Can he be shown in or do I need to meet him in a more mundane location?" She sat up and prepared to stand as she finished speaking.

"I'll bring him through your majesty." And with a curt bow, Mr. Bates turns to retrieve the individual. After a few minutes, the double doors re-open as the manager returns along with the man. From what Alice knew, he must be Wizened and stood just shy of average height and had a stocky physique that once may have been solid but looks more podgy now, perhaps from good living. Clean shaven with blue eyes and a thick neck, he seemed to carry no weapons but his clothes showed Alice that he was not one to shy away from such things; impressive but highly-durable. One very noticable aspect of his clothing is a complex knot-work pattern that runs over the shoulders and sleeves of his sky blue jacket.

"Baron George Minewell, your majesty" Mr. Bates announces. The Baron bowed low to Alice, where she noticed he had no mantle emanating.

Alice nodded her assent when Mr. Bates said he would bring in the visitor. She inspected the man as he entered and bowed to her. It still felt weird to have people bow to her, especially since she felt she hadn't done anything worth such respect. It wasn't clear what brought the wizened to see her or who their mutual acquaintance could have been, but she intended to find out.

Alice gave a small polite nod to the man before addressing him. "Baron Minewell, welcome. If I'm to understand Mr. Bates correctly you came to Sacramento seeking me?"

She gestured to a place where they could sit down and talk. If the Baron accepted the offer Alice will follow along side him and be seated as well.

Baron Minewell stood with a genuine smile and approached Alice, following her lead to the table.

"Queen White, greetings and salutations. Thank you for seeing me on exceedingly short notice. I would have sent correspondance in advance but I was waylaid by the Briars around these parts; they seemed rather insistant on snagging my advances." He laughs, a hearty sound that causes the bucks to look up slightly, lower jaw still grazing.

Alice looked concerned at his assessment of the local hedge. She thinks for a moment before replying. "The hedge around here used to be docile when I first started venturing in, now it is quite animated and willful. Just recently, when I went through my change," She pointed to her ears and tail, "I felt called into the hedge and a need to hunt. The hedge seemed to resonate with me at the time and then when I tried to leave, it tried to grab me and keep me there, even attack me when I tried to break free. I'm getting concerned about it. Has it been all over the local hedge or just in patches?"

"As you Majesty is no doubt aware, the Hedge reacts to our very passing. However, what I experienced as I approached Sacramento was something completely new to me. I lost a good hob in the scuffle as the branch whipped out from nowhere." Baron Minewell seemed to sigh before remembering to whom he was conversing. "Speaking of which, I believe your Majesty has met an acquaintance of mine. Long-Earred Hinkle to be precise."

"I'm sorry for your loss," Alice began as she heard the new about his hob friend. When the Baron mentioned Long-Earred Hinkle, Alice blushed noticeably. "I'm really sorry about scarring the poor man. I just was overcome with the urge to hunt and chase something and I thought he was a rabbit. He's alright I hope. I feel awful."

Baron Minewell raises his hand to halt any embarrassment. "Please, your Majesty, Hinkle has four-leaf clovers around those little rabbit paws of his. He has survived more scrapes than any Hob I know. I myself once stumbled upon him while hunting a vicious pack of Briarwolves. In fact, it is because of Hinkle that I have come before your presence this day. Your Majesty, have you ever heard of the Barony of Lesser Ones?"

Alice paused in thought considering the man's question. "I might have heard the name before, however, I'm afraid I don't know much about them. I didn't think Hinkle would bother mentioning our meeting. What does the Baronry and Hinkle have to do with me?"

"Your Majesty's compassion and natural bearing was passed on from Hinkle, spread through various markets like wildefire. We of the Barony like to think of ourselves as negotiators of hobgoblins, defenders against their treachery and investigators of their activities that may be of interest to the freeholds. We of the Barony would be honoured if you would join our noble order." Minewell sits back slightly, his body tensing unnoticably as he was speaking. Obviously, this was an important task for the Baron and he was loath to return without a new member.

Alice was a little surprised about the news. Maybe treating hobs honorably and with compassion was rarer than she thought. It was a big decision to make and a great honor to be asked to join a well known group like this. Their work sounded important and would be an valuable skill to master. She thought for several moments over what he said before replying.

"I've heard a little about the Barony and I am interested in learning more. Membership would not interfere in my duties as Queen would they? I do not wish to do anything that could jeopardize the freehold."

Minewell shakes his head before answering. "Not at all your Majesty. In fact, having one of such prestige within our order would help your freehold with some of the more dangerous or infamous hobgoblins that call the Briars home."

A lot of what the Baron said made sense and it might help the freehold for her to get training as a negotiator and mediator. "That is a good point and it would be a valuable skill to master for the freehold. How does one join your order Baron?"

The Baron smiled openly, honestly. "Well, your Majesty, it is a simple thing. We are not a group for much in the way of formality. We find the Hedge does not wait for us so we must keep things simple. If your Majesty wishes, she could join this very moment. All it takes is recounting the order's simple pledge."

"If what you have told me is true, I'm prepared to make a commitment to your order and join. I'll speak your pledge Baron."

"Very good, you Majesty," Minewell replies upbeat. Clearing his thrat slightly, Alice notices the sound seems to bounce around her almost as if he were underground. Finally, he begins to speaks. "I swear to both guard my allies and freehold against possible hobgoblin treachery and to act as both emissary to and champion against the many and various hobgoblins that share the Hedge with our kind." The Baron edges forward in anticipation for Alice to take the oath of the Lesser Ones.

Alice listened to the oath and felt that she could actually be excited about upholding a pledge like that. She believed in protecting the freehold and if this was one more way that she could do that she would jump at the chance. She slowly repeated the Baron's oath meaning all of it with everything that she was, "I swear to both guard my allies and freehold against possible hobgoblin treachery and to act as both emissary to and champion against the many and various hobgoblins that share the Hedge with our kind." Once she was finished she waited for the man to speak.

Minewell clapped his stubby hands together in obvious delight, smiling broadly on his face. "Congratulations, your Majesty, and welcome to the Barony of the Lesser Ones! It is rare to have such an esteemed, and may I say, beautiful changeling join our order. Are there any questions I can assist with which you seek?"

Alice returned the man's smile. "So what next? Is there a code of any kind to follow or anything else you can tell me about my new comrades? Is there any training that is required of me as a new member? If I have to contact others of our order where are the nearest outposts?" She chuckled a little, "Sorry. I guess I have more questions than I thought."

George holds up a hand towards Alice, a sign that he welcomes any and all questions. "It isn't a problem, your Majesty. As it stands, the Barony is a fairly loose organisation and we like to share information regarding any local occurances within the Hedge that may be of wider interest; I myself will be Tweeting about the rogue Hedge element that hindered my own efforts earlier the moment I leave. That is how we now contact one another. The marvel of the modern age," Minewell laughs again and jots down a website address and password before passing it to Alice and continuing. "As far as hierarchy goes, we each view one another as equals except for those few whom are regarded as Elders, Barons and Baronesses whom have belonged to the order for at least 30 years. The closest Elder to Sacramento is Baroness Liza Drachmor down in Stockton. She is both old and wise and is reputed to have walked the entire Hedge along the West Coast."

Alice took the slip of paper and looked at it before finally pocketing it. It seemed kind of strange to have a website as a means to contact other members of her new order, but it would be convenient.

"Wow, the entire coast? That's impressive. I bet she has some tales to tell." After pausing for a moment she continued. "I don't have anymore questions at the moment. Is there anything important I might have missed?"

"I do not believe so, your Majesty. The only thing I will add is that you may find your mien will subtly change over time." Minewell indicates the complex series of knot-work patterns upon his clothing and as Alice viewed them in more detail she finds that in places, the shapes resemble the Briars as they take on various abstract designs. "It is but a small price and, if I may be so blunt, not half as bad as some other orders of our kind."

Alice smiled at him as he commented on the change she to her mien could look forward to. She did agree that it was far better than some of the groups out there people told stories about.

"I guess I'd better learn to like knot-work designs," she said with a small laugh.

She stood up and extended her hand to a man who was now a colleague. "Be careful out there. The hedge is getting mighty spirited."

Alice's fellow Baron stood and took the hand, bending low to kiss the back of it before standing straight. Even though they were equals within the order, George understood that she was still Queen and therefore, naturally deserving of proper etiquette and decorum.

"Thank you your Majesty, I shall ensure to report it the moment I leave. Good day to you. I do wish we can meet again." And with that, Minewell turns to leave the throne room where Mr. Bates stands to usher him from the hotel.

She sat down on the grass of the hollow and stared at the scene around her for some time. The bucks, birds, and the sounds of Spring were beautiful and so inspiring. But it wasn't the Hedge. While the Spring Crown wasn't on her head, she could still feel its weight pressing down. The scar was nothing a mere blemish on her perfect features. The real price she paid was her freedom. Even when she isn't the ascendant sovereign, it seemed unlikely they would let her traipse about the hedge. She longed to wonder the pathways and to make sense of that strange world.

She took one final look and sighed deeply. "For the Freehold," she said weakly as if trying to convince herself. This was my choice and I will live with it. The Hedge can wait, she thought as she prepared to leave...duty called.