Under Ankh's guidance, Animus thinks back on the trip to the zoo, on how it had felt to speak with the wolves. It had been slow going at first, but a very real part of him had wanted to bridge the gap in understanding. He concentrates on that sensation, on his soul wanting to become something more, wanting to understand the nature of animals. Ankh had explained as much as she could, and he thought he understood, but now he could only learn by doing.

If I can understand the wolf, I can be the wolf. That will come in time. For now, specific qualities are enough. He reaches inward, recalling that feeling as he rejects his skin, pushing it away, his aches and pains disappearing as skin sloughs off. He grins at Ankh. "That was almost easy."

Ankh smiles back, happy to see that Animus had understood her attempt at explanation. "Good. You're getting it. Now the trick is to be able to do it without having to think or concentrate. The trick is to just do it at a moments notice, when it is most needed. I am sure I don't have to tell you how harrowing combat is. It needs to be a seamless focus. Once you have that down, we can move on to the next ability."

She sits back and continues to watch him practice, knowing he would get as good at it as she is and feeling like a true Awakened for the first time.

Animus nods his understanding, then lets his skin fall away a couple more times, getting used to the feeling, ingraining what he needs to do. Then he looks back toward Ankh. "Yeah, I know how harrowing it can be. Especially with spells flying everywhere." With an ever-so-slight nudge, his skin begins to break away again, without even a pause in his speaking. "But I'll admit it's been quite a new experience not having to draw down the supernal for everything. It's liberating." Then he grins. "Looks like I've got it down."

Ankh watches him carefully and nods slowly. "Yes it seems that way. Now we need to test it when it counts."

She considers attacking him and seeing if he can make it work while he is under duress. It's really the only way to make sure he has it down. She'll have to do it without warning too but her strength is poor and her skill is in bear form, not human.

"Well, I would help with that but we'd have to spar and frankly this room isn't big enough for my fighting style."

Animus glances around the room quickly. "I guess we'll have to save that for another time, then. Or am I going to have to worry about a polar bear attacking me in my sleep some time?" He chuckles.

Laughing Ankh shakes her head. "No no of course not. West would be pissed if I ripped up part of the house. No, but you might want to watch it if you're ever in the pool or the back yard alone. I might get an itch to test you."

Now it's Animus' turn to laugh. "I'll keep that in mind. If you're not careful, though, I might declare bear-hunting season. I've a feeling it's going to be a good thing we can both heal."