Watch
11 - 20
DISPLAYED
House call

Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last

Doctor Jack

Doctor Jack

PRE

Dr. Carlton nods in sympathy as the itch grows stronger.

"Don't worry, I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of what's troubling her. In the meantime, I would like you to help her with a dream journal. Donna should write down as much as she can remember of her dreams and how they make her feel. She should do this for all of her dreams, not just the nightmares."

Dr. Carlton had a few cases like this one, back in San Francisco. Children experiencing horrible nightmares with no discernable causes. Traditional analysis and drug therapies had little to no effect. Modern medicine was powerless to help these cases. Doctor Jack knews how to deal with them, but he had not yet found a safe place to enter dreams. Forced to abandon his Hollow when he moved to Sacramento, he had not had the time to search for a new one in this Freehold. Of course, if he were completely honest with himself, Jack would admit that he hadn't made the time because the Hedge scared him. Focusing back on the concerned mother in front of him, he asks the usual questions, even though he suspects he already knows the answers.

"Have you noticed signs of any other sleep disorders? Has she been grinding her teeth, sleepwalking, or wetting her bed?"

Carol nodded. "Yes, she has been suffering with bed wetting ever since it started but that's it. So far, neither of the other two. Too be honest, when she finally wakes, she is too petrified to move."

At this point, Craig comes back in carrying a few pictures that have been coloured in quite well and would be considered very creative if not for the content. Each picture has the following themes: a young girl with strawberry blonde hair, a small dog next to her, a dark forest that stretches towards an even darker sky. Punctuating the sky are flickers of shapes and silhouettes, various spawn with flashing claws and teeth.

Doctor Jack

Doctor Jack

PRE

In addition to night terror, Dr. Carlton adds sleep paralysis and nocturnal enuresis to his notes on Donna Sheppard. Looking at the pictures, Doctor Jack suppresses a shiver at the depictions of the Hedge and the Gentry. He points to the small dog depicted in the girl's drawing. He hadn't noticed a dog in their home.

"Is this a pet?"

"Yes it is," Mrs Sheppard replies not wishing to spend any longer looking at the drawings as necessary. "Her puppy, Princess."

Doctor Jack

Doctor Jack

PRE

Jack smiles at the name of the dog, in spite of himself. He adds a general description of the girl's drawings into his notes before reviewing the information contained in Donna's file with her parents. After confirming her medical history and known allergies, the good doctor takes a deep breath before looking up at the Sheppards.

"Well, this is a good foundation for us to build upon. Now, what are your questions for me? You must have some fears or concerns."

"Just the usual Doctor," Craig chimes in, "Donna's usual such an attentive child especially with school. She is become more and more withdrawn and distant. Now, it seems that all the bad sleep pattern seems to have made her ill."

There is a coughing coming from the upper floor followed by a weak cry for "Mom." Carol excuses herself to go and tend to her daughter.

Gathering up his notes, Dr, Carlton slides them into Donna's file, which he then places in his briefcase. Standing, he glances at his watch, realizing that he still has a little time before he is supposed to pick up Glenda.

"Has your family physician seen her yet? I don't mean to alarm you, but there is a particularly virulent flu strain going around. I wouldn't mind taking a look, if you'd like."

"No," Carol replies. "We have an appointment tomorrow. I thought I told you on the phone?" she says, not meaning to be short but definitely sounding so. In fact, both parents of Donna do look exceedingly tired.

Doctor Jack

Doctor Jack

PRE

Dr. Carlton is somewhat taken aback by Mrs. Sheppard's resonse to his offer of help, and his face clearly shows it.

"No, actually, you didn't. But, I am already here, so if you'd like, I don't mind taking a look at Donna. I am a licensed physician, not a therapist, so I can do more than just ask her how she feels about being sick."

Doctor Jack gives Carol a wry grin as he says the last part, but his eyes fill with compassion and understanding as he continues.

"I understand how you both must be feeling. No one likes feeling powerless to help their child. But, I do hope you realize that you really are doing everything you can to help Donna. Ultimately, this is going to be her fight, but you two will be here to help her through it, and from what I've seen, that will make the difference. Besides, now I'll be helping her too... and I might not look it, but I'm a fighter."

Doctor Jack smiles as he breathes in the Hope he inspires. Glamour plucks unseen, stringed instuments as he channels the freshness of Spring into the Sheppards.

Harvest Hope

Gift of Warm Breath

The instant energy and warmth that envelop the Sheppard's is apparent as their tiredness drains away, both nodding in agreement to Doctor Carlton's words. Standing, they both lead Jack upstairs towards Donna's room, which has a small wooden plaque with her name on it.

Inside, the room is sky blue in colour with a dark ceiling that has been decorated to resemble the night sky. Around the room, various space-faring items and decorations are readily apparent as it seems Donna likes astrology in a big way as posters of NASA space-rockets are pinned to the walls.

In fact, in a rocket shaped bed lies a pale looking girl of eleven years old, her eyes heavy in a daze and her sheets soaked in sweat. A small, chocolate Labrador puppy lies asleep on the floor next to her and hasn't stirred as the three adults enter.

Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread