Ended
Watch
Seeing the Light

(2210) Speakers' thread
Oct 9, 2022 - Nov 2, 2022

Konstantin Malevich

PRE

July, 1997, somewhere in Colorado

Konstantin emerged from the soil looking a lot more than usual like someone dead more than 300 years. His flesh was torn in several places; a large flap of the skin of his forehead hung loose, exposing bone beneath, and a fist-size chunk of muscle had been torn from his left shoulder, and an even larger one was missing from the outside of his right thigh. The injuries did not bleed, both because vampires generally do not bleed unless they choose to do so, but also because he had no blood within his body. He had expended his last bit of Vitae awakening for the evening, leaving him nothing with which to heal his injuries.

It was imperative that he feed. To not do so would guarantee that when he fell asleep at the next dawn’s approach, the sleep would be a lengthy one. It was only twelve years since he’d woke from his most recent torpor, after his body had been torn apart by a land mine in Afghanistan. He shuddered to remember his torpor dreams, and really did not want to experience them again so soon.

Konstantin knew, though, that torpor would be the least of his worries if his enemies were still about. He was in no shape to fight them, or even to escape, and as injured as he already was, they would make short work of him.

“Stupid,” he thinks to himself. “Should mind own business.”

The night before, outside Denver, he’d encountered an amazing sight – a fight to the death between two groups of werewolves. Despite having had to fight wolf-men in the past, Konstantin had always respected them: He thought their savage fury and their animal nature made them something not completely unlike himself, and he’d never encountered a werewolf who was not a fearsome warrior. So, he’d stayed to watch the fight. It hadn’t lasted long – one of the groups was larger and clearly more skilled – but unfortunately for him, the surviving pack, who called themselves Pure, had not taken kindly to his unintended intrusion onto the territory they had just claimed from the pack they’d slaughtered. Talking didn’t accomplish much – some of them were in a berserk fury, and the others seemingly just wanted to kill something else – and though no coward, he knew he was not nearly powerful enough to defeat seven werewolves, even though some of them were already wounded. He’d taken the form of a bat and tried to fly away, but was thwarted by a werewolf who had made an impressive 12-foot vertical leap to swat him to the ground. Only his Resilience and his Claws had saved him them, allowing him to survive long enough to flee again. He hadn’t been able to fly long, though - daylight had approached quickly, and when his Resilience ran out, he was left nearly torpid – and he’d still been able to hear the werewolves’ howls when he slid into the cold embrace of the earth.

As silently as possible, Konstantin climbed a tree and looked around. He saw no sign of the wolves, and hoped that meant they’d given up on him. He had no interest in seeing them again any time soon. He did, however, see the flicker of several small fires in the distance – campfires, most likely. This meant there were kine nearby, and as hungry as he was, his natural wariness of approaching fire was overruled by his need to feed.

Cautiously, staying to the trees as much as possible so as to maintain a wide vantage point, Konstantin moved toward the campfires, around the base and lower edges of a mountain. He stayed far away from the clusters of fires, seeking instead an isolated one. Even out here, it was important Masquerade be maintained, and as injured as he was, even a few normal humans were more than he could fight. He would have to be careful in his feeding.

He came upon a pair of campers – a man and a woman – off by themselves. They had a firepit, over which they cooked meat and something that smelled of tomato and spices, and a small tent. Konstantin watched, and he listened, making sure there were no others – human or werewolf, or even other Kindred – nearby.

The woman was tall, with tanned skin, an athletic build, wide hips and generous curves. Her long, curly hair was the sort of reddish-brown one called chestnut in horses. The man was taller yet, fit, muscular, with long, blonde hair and a neat beard. They wore sturdy, functional clothing and were at obvious ease in the wild – experienced hikers and campers. Though their isolated location made them the safest choice of food he’d encountered this evening, Konstantin knew they would likely not fall easily. He would have to strike quickly and with surprise were he to feed on either of them… and he would have to make certain he was not interrupted.

Keeping to the shadows, far from the lights of the fires, Konstantin spent perhaps an hour prowling the area for other campers, for the Pure, or for anyone or anything else that might be about. The animals of the forest kept themselves far from him – they could sense a hungry predator. He paid them no heed, his blood too strong for him to benefit from the blood of beasts.

When he returned to the campsite of his chosen prey, their fire had burnt low and Konstantin did not see the man or the woman. He crept forward, slowly and cautiously. He could hear the prey in the tent, the sounds of lovemaking. He smiled a predator’s smile, knowing their fulfilling their passion would leave them both calm and probably less on guard. They might simply fall asleep afterward, which would complicate things – he’d rather not struggle to overpower two strong humans within the small space of a tent – but he suspected at least one of the, most likely the man, would come out empty his bladder and tend to tend to the fire.

He moved closer, at the end of the tent opposite its entry, and crouched there, silent and motionless, awaiting his opportunity.

Some time later, as expected, the man emerged, wearing only jeans. He went about the business of putting out the fire, unaware of his impending doom. Konstantin approached him from behind, intent on overpowering him and feeding before the man knew what was happening. This would be safest for Konstantin and also most humane for his prey, causing the man no unnecessary pain or horror, with the bliss of the Kiss being the last thing he felt.

Unfortunately for both Konstantin and the man, it didn’t work that way.

Off in the distance, there was the call of an owl. Hearing it, the man turned, and in doing so caught sight of Konstantin, crouched only a couple feet away, his fangs bared.

Konstantin pounced on the man, his strength greater than that of the human despite the human’s greater height. The man grunted as Konstantin slammed into him, but kept his calm, and slammed his fist against Konstantin’s nose.

Wounded and hungry, Konstantin’s beast surged to the fore, pushing aside the man. In full frenzy, he slammed the man to the ground roughly, growling, then leaped upon the stunned prey.

“Roy, what’s going on?” the woman called out from inside the tent. “Are you okay?”

Roy wasn’t able to answer, nor was Konstantin of a mind to do so, his fangs piercing the man’s jugular as he drank deep. He felt the warmth of the man’s lifeblood flowing into his body, savored the flavor, and used a bit of it to mend some of his wounds while continuing to drink. The man was pale and gasping his last breath when suddenly Konstantin felt a sharp pain at the back of his skull.

Dropping the man, he whirled, to find the woman, nude except for an unbuttoned, oversized flannel shirt and holding a hatchet. Still in the grip of frenzy, Konstantin attacked her without thought, slamming all his bulk into her, taking her breath. Atop her, he grabbed the hand with the hatchet and held it to the ground as he leaned in and bit her neck, opening the arteries. Despite the kiss, she struggled, pushing against him, but for nothing. In short order, he’d drained her to near death, spending some more of the Vitae to heal his torn flesh.

As his mind cleared, Konstantin became aware of what he’d done. He looked down at the woman – pale now, despite her tan, and still beautiful despite being near death. Something about her – her beauty, her willingness to fight to protect her mate, perhaps even how she fought him to her last breath – struck a chord with Konstantin, and without thinking, he bit down on his wrist, pushed it against her mouth and forced his blood, his very essence, and his will into her.

Afterward, Konstantin finished off the man, tore down the tent and, quietly and slowly, carried the couple, the tent and the rest of their gear into the woods. Earlier, he had seen an empty space within some broken rocks. During the winter it had probably served as a den for some hibernating creature, but now it would serve as a place to stow away the man’s body and all of the couple’s gear save for a pack containing some of the woman’s clothing. Konstantin covered the cranny over with some rocks and leaves. It wouldn’t keep the body from being discovered forever, but it would do the job for now.

Next, Konstantin lifted the woman – dead now, but in the process of becoming something more – and carried her away. He stopped frequently to survey his surroundings, and to make sure he was and would remain unobserved. He traveled in this manner until about an hour before dawn, by which time he’d gone far from where he’d fed and had found an isolated location, well off any trails, where they were almost certain to be left alone through the day. After finding this location, he dug a hole in the earth, large enough for the woman’s body and deep enough to not be easily dug up by some scavenger. He placed her body in the hole and covered it up with soil and rocks, then, right before dawn, merged himself with the soil next to her body.

As the sun slid below the horizon, Konstantin emerged from the soil. He waited until he noticed the rocks piled atop the makeshift grave start to wobble and shift, then went about clearing them off the woman, who pushed herself out of the soil. Her chest heaved and she gasped with fear, not having yet figured out that she didn’t breathe any more.

She shook soil from her face and stood, then stopped moving when she saw Konstantin. “Where…?”

“I moved you,” he said. “Would not be good for you to be found there.”

Her eyes widened in fear. “You kidnapped me, you mean.” After a moment, she asked “Where’s Roy?” in a tone that suggested she already knew the answer.

“He is dead,” Konstantin confirmed.

“So, you’re going to kill me too, then?” she asked. “When you’re done with whatever you plan to do?” Despite her fear, there was an undertone of defiance in her voice, something that said whatever Konstantin planned, he’d have a fight on his hands. It made him smile, just a bit.

“Already have I killed you,” he says, simply. “And then I made you more. Like me.” He then willed his upper canine teeth to lengthen into fangs. “Vampyr.”

The woman’s eyes widened again, and she shook her head. “You have no heartbeat,” he explained. “The blood, it does not flow in your veins. Feel, you will find I speak truth.”

She felt at her neck, then at her wrist, finally putting her hand over her heart. He saw her stop as she finally realized she wore nothing except the open flannel shirt, yet did not feel the cold. Still she shook her head. “This can’t be,” she said softly.

“Look at me,” Konstantin commanded the woman. As she turned toward him, he expended a bit of vitae, shifting his form to that of a large, dark-furred wolf. A moment later, the wolf’s form shifted to that of a bat, and after flapping and swooping around a bit, the bat’s form shifted back to that of Konstantin. The woman was stunned, silent.

“Vampyr,” he repeated. “ This I am. This, you are now.”

She remained too stunned to say anything for a bit, though she did again check her heartbeat and, glancing at Konstantin, she suddenly felt the left side of her neck, where he’d bitten her.

“I healed the wound,” he told her. “You are uninjured.”

“Except for being dead,” she muttered.

After a time, she looked at him and asked, simply, “Why? Why me, and why not Lee?”

“I was starving, out of my mind with hunger,” Konstantin explained. “I tried to be quick, gentle, but he fought, and then I was in rage. Then you struck me, and still hungry, still in rage, I attacked you. Fed from you. As you were dying, I came to my senses, saw something in you. Strength. Beauty. Courage. I would not let these things fade, so I made you vampyr.”

“So, I should thank you?” she said, suddenly angry. “For murdering my fiancé and me?” She snarled, making a fist, shoving it toward him, showing him the ring on her third finger, gold and set with a diamond. “And, and then… taking pity, or maybe getting your jollies, by turning me into…”

“A vampyr,” he repeated, calmly. “No, you should not thank me. Some ways, being vampyr, it is a curse. But there is more. Unless you are destroyed, you will exist forever, never aging, your beauty to never fade, you getting only stronger.”

She sat on a rock and turned away from Konstantin, saying nothing for a time. She made sobbing sounds, but no tears would come, as she had not yet learned enough of what she now was for her emotions to impact her dead body.

After a time, without looking at him, she asked him a question. “What you did… becoming a, a wolf, and a bat… I can do these things?”

“Not now,” Konstantin replied. “But with time, yes, you will learn to do those things, and many more, if you wish. The powers of our blood, they are many.”

Again she fell silent for several minutes before finally saying, “I feel… hungry… starving.”

”Yes,” he said. “You woke in fear, so you did not notice it first, but you need to feed. The Beast demands it.”

“The Beast?” she asked, puzzled. “You mean, like, Satan?”

“No, not that,” Konstantin said, shaking his head. “The Beast, it makes us what we are, that makes us more than dead. It is hungry. You need to feed.”

He gestured for her to follow, and after a few moments, she did so, silently. He noted with satisfaction that, as he’d suspected, she moved quietly and, despite her lack of footwear, confidently.

After a time, they came to a stream. “We wait,” he said, calmly.

“For what?”

“For a chance for you to feed,” he replied.

A short time later, Konstantin and the woman saw by the moon’s light as a doe and a fawn approached the stream. Konstantin said nothing, waiting silently while watching the woman. He saw her hesitate, struggle with something within herself… and then he saw her launch herself at the doe. Hearing her, it raised its head and tried to flee, but the woman was too quick. She pounced upon it, knocking it to the ground, and as it struggled to right itself, she bit into its neck, first one spot and then another, one which provided her with a stronger flow of blood. Then she drank, continuing until the doe moved no more.

Blood running down her face, she stood then, wobbily. She stood over the dead doe, gasping then falling silent. She felt around her mouth, found blood there, frowned in revulsion but then, a few seconds later, licked her fingers clean as if compelled to do so.

“I should be disgusted,” she murmured. “I… I just killed that animal, and I drank its blood.” She fell silent, then, quietly, said “But it … it felt so good.”

Hearing a noise, she turned and found Konstantin there, holding the kicking fawn in his strong hands, its eyes wide with fear. “Drink again,” he said.

“No…!” The woman’s eyes widened as she studied the frightened animal.

“If you do not, it will still die, alone without a mother,” Konstantin told her. “And you must feed. It is what you are.”

Before he finished, she had lunged forward, burying her fangs in the small creature’s neck. Konstantin let go the fawn and she clutched it close while drinking it dry.

When she finished, she sat, silent, for a long time. “I’m a monster,” she finally said.

Konstantin said nothing in reply. After a time, he asked, “Your name? What is it?”

“Lee,” she said, absently. “Leanne, really, but everyone calls me Lee.”

“Lee,” he replied, nodding. "I am Konstantin Vladimir Malevich.”

“Your accent… you’re Russian?” Lee asked, looking at him.

“Yes. But for some years, I have been here, in America.”

“How.. how many…?” She fumbled with the question, finally asking “How old are you?”

“As men count years, I was born in 1658,” he said. “I served in the army of Pietr the Great. When I was thirty years old, I became vampyr, as you are now.”

Her eyes widened again. “You.. you’re more than three hundred years old?”

He nodded. “You will find that this is not old for our kind. I have met many older… some more than 1000 years, and heard tales of others, older still… ones who saw the pyramids built, in Egypt. Some, older than that. These, I have not seen, but I do not doubt the stories.”

After a time, she looked down at herself, then back up at him. “My clothes… I, I think I want to get dressed.”

Konstantin merely nodded. “I brought your things,” he says. “Back where you woke. Follow me.”

Afterward, she asked him many questions, about himself and about what she now was.

“So, what about… God, I never paid much attention to those movies…What about garlic? Or running water? Or sunlight?”

“Garlic, water, these things mean nothing to us. They do not harm us, they are no barrier. We do not breathe. Some of our kind, they dwell beneath the waves, emerging only to feed on the blood of men.. But sunlight… this, it destroys our kind. It burns. As does fire. Fire, the sun, they can kill you. You must be wary of them.”

“So…I’ll never see the sun again?” she asked.

“The Beast, it will warn you when the sun is coming, but you must learn to pay attention. It will tell you to take cover, and make you sleep away the day hours. We are creatures of the night, of darkness. To look upon the sun is to be destroyed.”

That night, he showed her how to use her blood to slip beneath the soil as a way of safely sleeping through the day. For three more nights, he answered her questions, showed her things.

“I will not feed from a person,” Lee had told him on the second night. “Deer… people feed on animals, but I will not kill a person.” He had explained that as long as one did not get so hungry that the Beast took over, it was possible to feed without killing, but she had been adamant. “I will not feed on people.”

Yet, on the third night, Lee fed from a man who had wandered from his sleeping family to look into the woods. She stopped after drinking a bit, and licked closed the man’s wounds as Konstantin had showed her, but afterward she cried and would say nothing. This time tears of blood flowed down her face.

Later that night, Konstantin came to stand behind her. “It is what we are,” he said. “To fight it… one cannot win.”

Lee said nothing, and after a time, he turned her around. She stood as tall as him. He looked into her eyes for a moment, and then he attempted to kiss her.

She pulled away quickly, clawing at him with her fingernails. “No!” she screamed. “Don’t touch me! I’m a monster, and you are too too! You made me this way!”

Konstantin said nothing in reply. There was nothing to argue with, really. What she said was, after all, true.

As dawn approached, Konstantin scouted out a good location for them to rest out the day, one unlikely to be disturbed. “Come, it will be day soon.”

Lee said nothing, her face turned away from him, to the east.

“Lee!” he shouted. He could see the sky lightening in the east, and feel his Beast getting restless. “You must rest within the soil.”

”No,” Lee said. “I will not. I want to see the sunrise again.”

“You cannot!” he said, his tone one of urgency. “It will burn you, destroy you.”

She finally turned to face him. “Yes,” she replied. “I know.” And then she turned away from him, toward the dawn.

Konstantin did not say anything. There was no time, and he could not, or would not, argue. He sunk beneath the soil.

When he awoke after the sunset, he found Lee’s clothing, scorched but still recognizable, and also her engagement ring, partially buried within a mound of ash.

She had seen the light.

Closed Thread