Wilhelm took one last look at the papers he had printed. Ensuring that everything was as he wanted it; names, evidence, suspected activities, patterns of behavior. Everything had to be in order, to ensure both long and short-term success. And when he was satisfied he slid them into a manila folder, which was in turn placed into his briefcase. The difficult part was done. Now he just had to play the game with a fool who only thought he knew the rules.

Half an hour later he was sitting in the corner booth of a bar, briefcase beside him. To be honest he didn’t like the place at all. The lighting was dim, cigarette smoke hung thick in the air, and that damn jukebox was about loud enough to conflict jarringly with the noisy hubbub in the bar. But for all its shortcomings it did have one major advantage. It was a good place to hold a meeting with a man you did not trust, when having a discussion you did not want to be overheard.

And there was the man he was meeting. Wilhelm suppressed a sigh, the man’s body language could not have stood out more. Tense, uptight, nervous, constantly glancing around…it was always annoying dealing with people who had no idea what they were doing. Easy, but annoying nonetheless. At least the man didn’t waste time though, striding across the bar floor to slide in along the opposite side of the booth. “Mr.-”

“You idiot,” Wilhelm cut the man off about as soon as he began his sentence. “Do not use names here.” Not that he had actually given the man his real name, but still, it was the principle of the matter.

The man’s mouth snapped shut immediately, the distasteful impression seeming to indicate that he was neither used to nor appreciative of being spoken to in such a manner. Though he did seem to be smart enough not to protest, surprisingly. “You have the names?”

Wilhelm’s expression did not change as he reached over to open the suitcase, withdrawing the file folder and placing it on the table between them. “Names, suspected activities, behavioral patterns, suspected whereabouts, I even managed to pull the criminal records of one or two. I must say, you have managed to acquire more enemies than I would expect. You must have quite the skeleton in your closet.”

"Why they’re after me is none of your concern,” he snatched the folder up off the table. "You’re sure these are the right men?”

Wilhelm resisted the urge to roll his eyes, instead adopting the classically bemused expression seemingly worn by anyone asked a question of sufficient stupidity. “Of course.” Well, that was not quite true. The files certainly did contain information on the men his contact was concerned about, and a few others as well. Not all of the extras were even alive anymore, even for those who were actual concerns for the man the information was a mixture of actual and fabricated information, but each was carefully chosen. Each additional name provided Wilhelm with another course of action, avenue of manipulation, means to ensure some level of control over the man.

“Good.” The man leaned forward slightly, one hand reaching inside his jacket. And Wilhelm idly found himself wondering if the man could be any more stupid. Even with a silenced weapon did he really think that he would be able to get away with firing a gun in here? “Then it would seem that our business is concluded.”

“Please, are you really so stupid to believe that you can get rid of me so easily?” Wilhelm paused briefly to note the man freeze, and took some small satisfaction from the look on his face. “I know how to find you, I know how to find your enemies. Take a few moments to consider that.” Wilhelm paused, letting the man do just that. “Now, what do you think I might have arranged to happen in the unlikely event that you succeed in any sort of hostile action against me.” He rose to his feet with a grin, a distinctly predatory grin. “But do not fret. I have helped you, and can continue to help you, because it is in your power to help me in return.” With that, the Priscus of Shadows took his leave, one last parting comment hanging in the air between the two men. “Do keep that in mind.”