Dirge walked down the sidewalk from the pizza parlor with a bag of soda and fresh pizza. She had been able to scrounge up some money from doing a little begging and slowly and carefully let Cerberus lead her safely toward the sound of a truck generator. There was a group of three men doing some emergency work and Dirge had stopped by a little earlier on her walk to investigate. The men had been there all day and it looked like they were going to be there most of the night too. They were tired, hungry and more than a little irritable at not being able to head home to their families. Seeing this as a golden opportunity she had volunteered to pick them up something to eat. As she got close she called out, “Hey Bill, you still here? I brought you guys some food.”

A man came from around the truck and spotted Dirge, “Dirge? I didn’t think you’d actually go through with it.”

Dirge smiled and replied, “I told you I would didn’t I? You guys work hard for the city, I just wanted to let you know that it’s appreciated. Go ahead, it’s on me.”

Bill walked up and took the bag and the pizza box from Dirge and took it back over the truck, “Thanks a lot Dirge, you’re alright.” He turned and called out down the manhole, “Hey Paul, Vick get your asses up here. That lady came back and she brought some food.”

Two men climbed up out of the manhole, “No shit? Wow that smells good.” There was a pause and then she heard the voice continue, “Hey lady, thanks!” the man said quickly followed by the third man mumbling his thanks through a mouth full of food.

She chuckled as she approached them closer, “Hey don’t mention it. My dad used to work like you guys I know how hard you all work. I just hope this helps.”

She spent several more minutes joking and laughing with the men about their work and some of the strange and funny things that they’ve seen. Then finally Bill said they had better get back to work. They all exchanged information and Dirge said her good byes. She made her way back toward Obsidian’s church with a small smile. It may not be much but you had to start somewhere.