"But why mommy, must I wear this dress? Its scratchy and looks funny. I want to wear the dress that I got past Christmas." little Regina pouted. Tonight they would be entertaining a British ambassador. And father had decided to show his culture by having all of his home decorated like a Indian palace, and his two daughter, Maria and Regina, would dress in Saris. Of course, no one in the palace knew how to wear a sari properly, so it was all guesswork from a painting in an old book. And while silk was the proper material, wool was cheaper, and the kingdom was pinching pennies to pay for some much needed modernization of the military. And what did a King care if his little girls had scratchy clothes.
"Your father needs this ambassador to recognize that Italia has come a long way from the Medicis, and so we must demonstrate that we have become more international in our knowledge, that we are smart and sophisticated, not Slavs."
When the ambassador arrived, Maria, and then more clumsily Regina gave curtsies in their Saris that looked ridiculous, and the ambassador gave a good laugh. Dinner of course, was pasta. It is good to show some humility to your rivals at the beginning of negotiations, but when it comes to the meat of the deal, showing your pride is what counts.

Regina never learned that lesson very well.