Unless your sire is a recognised Daeva in the city, you couldn't take the spot without support from me. That's why we need to deal, neither can move without the other. But it does beg the question. ''Who is your sire that would have such sway over what positions can and cannot be taken in a city they themselves are not in?'' Because as we have well established only three of our clan are recognised in the court.

''Have we?'' Verity's head tilts to one side with a smile. ''Because that would mean I just as much has you have been able to get by just as well without negative attention.'' If your worried about my conduct, that was a poor line of argument. ''And for how much longer?'' Verity gets serious. ''Priscus Jacque's poke might have been only that this time, but it is being noted we have the ability to fill the role yet the time it is taking is starting to be noticed.'' And better we do so before it becomes a talking point. ''We don't want the same kind of attention as the shadows seem to be getting at the moment do we?'' A building reputation for delays, apathy and ineptitude. ''Just because we are skating by now it does not mean we can keep doing so.'' Whatever window of grace we have will run out.

That's a way to describe me I guess. ''The very nature of what we are draws attention, the gifts we are given pull the spotlight to us, in a world of shadows we don't just hide in them, we cast our own.'' Do you understand what it is to be Daeva Stacey? Because so far your just complimenting me.

''Yes your right the prince was not at that meeting.'' Eyes narrow slightly. ''Because the prince does not talk to any of you.'' So who has the conversational problems really. Feet go up onto the coffee table. Verity is still playing quite relaxed. ''But she does to me. And I have things I could say about each of you just the same. Threats, veiled or not.'' Yes I caught that. ''Only work when they don't cut both ways Stacey.'' Verity would not take being threatened by those she viewed as incompetent without making sure they knew it was not in their best interest.

Feet come back to the ground, more serious again. Now to try and play nice. A pause. ''I apologise.'' She manages to not grit her teeth but its an effort. ''To you and your coterie for my disrespectful departure.'' There happy. You better be. Its all your getting.

That makes little sense. ''If you want to be free, just do what I did. Be free. Choose whose standard you attach your flag to if any and go about doing whatever it is you want to do.'' I sure didn't ask, not that mum even noticed by the way we text. ''Put on a show. Do you have a venue in mind? I might be able to help you out with that.'' If this is what you want then here's an Olive branch, I can help you get it. And Verity is quite interested in the response.

Verity deadpan stares for a few beats. ''You've seen me in court.'' As you say I draw attention. ''I'm hard to miss.'' But if you need me to say it. ''Okay. Take Priscus Jacque for example. In November he beat me. No contest our little social back and forth was his from start to finish.'' It still pained her to remember but from it she had learned. ''But I left with my dignity intact.'' I didn't flip my lid. ''In February he was subtle and clever and tripped me up yes. But I salvaged it. Not entirely his win that time.'' I didn't get flustered. ''And now in May he tired again and it did not phase me outwardly.'' Never the same mistake twice.

Or we can look at the bigger picture. ''In November The Seneschal, Priscus Jacque, most every kindred on Sacramento and the Prince all commented on my state of dress.'' Eyes are sharp. ''Within two formal courts they have all complimented me on my clothing.'' I learn fast. ''I have proven I'm not fool enough to blow up in court, I've miss stepped and learned better, I've been stung and shrugged it off.'' You have no argument here, my actions have proven otherwise.

At this point I suspect she is just going through the motion finding any and every objection she can to make it look like this is some big favour from her as if I don't already know that. You don't come here to discuss this if you don't already know how your going to answer. The rocker girl listens well. You see there we go. ''And of course the more important the person upholding your status, the better you look.'' So it gives you a reason to want a Priscus on side, rather then just me as I am. ''What status do want upholding and at what party?'' Now it's her turn to play through the motions. Because if Verity wants the position she'll do it of course.