Initially Arnoud had contemplated how he could control as many aspects of the upcoming meeting with the Ventrue Priscus as possible. It was, however, an exercise in futility. He knew next to nothing about the Priscus, had only managed to get the most minimal information. And the whole problem with meeting a Ventrue Priscus was that he was meeting a Ventrue Priscus.

But there was one thing. Elysia were almost safe. Would she dare provoke the Prince within his own house? Arnoud surely hoped not. So Bello Della Notte it would be. Arnoud made sure to arrive ten minutes early, obeying the white dress code most strictly. Why he wore that he left up to her interpretations.

After waiting for some time Victoria was finally meeting with Arnound. So far he had been evasive, difficult, and aggravating and she had only spoke to the man over the phone for a minute or so. I just know he is going to piss me off. Good thing he chose Elysium, she thought to herself. The fact that he chose the Bello Della Notte also meant that she had to dress up in formal clothing which irritated her even further. She wore a strapless black and red dress and the man following her, with a vacant expressionless look, wore a charcoal gray suit. As the two of them walked in the entrance she looked around the lobby to see if she could locate the man she was to meet.

Arnoud had thought to be ready for her. He had waited near the entrance, prepared to greet her then and there. Alas, Victoria possessed a certain aesthetic quality he did not find comforting. Her eyes, their gaze a sharp contrast to those of her unwanted companion, were especially threatening as they were of near-equal height. Arnoud straightened himself to add two inches to his height –while he normally preferred it, hunching wasn’t going to do him any good tonight– and watched her a moment longer before leaving his proverbial perch and approaching her, waiting to see if the mortal would interfere or introduce or perform an altogether more unwanted trick.

Victoria stopped and watched the man approach her with her servant staying where he was behind her seemingly oblivious to what was happening. The only thing he seemed to notice was that his mistress had stopped and thus followed suit. She wasn't sure if this man was Arnoud or someone else altogether just looking to approach a beautiful woman mostly alone. Silently she waited for the man to speak his peace and his reason for disturbing her.

Seemed like he would be introducing himself. What purpose did the man serve? A silent threat? A display of... mental prowess?

"Good evening, Madam Stamford" Arnoud greeted Victoria before gently extending a white-gloved hand "I am Arnoud Giessen, a pleasure to meet you."
Arnoud maintains eye contact with the Ventrue throughout this exchange, breaking it when they are done.

She smiled slightly at the introduction, extended her hand, lightly grasped his and spoke, "Ah, Mister Giessen. A pleasure to finally be able to meet you. An interesting choice for our meeting. Will we be taking in a show as well? I rather enjoyed my last one here with the Lady of the establishment. Her troop is quite skilled."

Arnoud’s grasp is no firmer than her own, the small shake executed perfectly.

Light grip, probably not a sign of weak character in the Priscus though. Wariness… of him? Ludicrous. Because of what she was planning?
“Yes, the choice for this establishment seemed appropriate and pleasing in many ways. And should you be interested in the show… well, I have made some modest arrangements. For now, though, we have some time before the start of the show. While not normally interesting, this particular lobby has a certain personality all it’s own that you might find interesting. I’m especially an admirer of the backmost area where a certain silent serenity takes hold of the senses.”
Arnoud debated offering Victoria his arm, for her to ignore or cling to, but no matter the sheer outrageousness of his Beast-induced fear, he could not command himself to extend his arm to this creature without trembling in the process. Better to not show such weakness at all.

Keeping her own wasp under control while viewing the weaker beast before her she nodded. "That certainly sounds acceptable and looks secluded enough for our purposes." She would have preferred a private room of some sort so they could be certain of absolute privacy, but the man seemed very strangely intent on making sure they were in a public area. Perhaps the Prince was not being entirely up front with how difficult Mister Giessen could be. She thought as she made her way with Arnoud to the area he pointed out. Her servant stopped and took up a seat nearby just out of earshot and giving them a respectable amount of privacy.

Arnoud regarded the mortal as he sat himself down. Was that far enough away to blunt the intrusions of mortal ears? Probably. Which either meant he was as he seemed or his obliviousness was but a mask to hide a far less human proficiency at using his senses. But that would mean the man was a ghoul… in Elysium.

Doing the gentlemanly thing Arnoud made sure to be seated after Victoria. Both to keep it civil and to make sure their seats would not require too much direct eye contact if such could be avoided. No need to tempt the monster with too many opportunities, after all.
“Priscus Stamford,” Arnoud began, signaling in none too subtle terms that the all but deserted lobby was indeed a safe place to speak “I would hereby officially bid you welcome to our fair city and hope you find it to your liking. Though, I must admit” Arnoud says with an small subconscious smile “it seems you have found Sacramento’s rhythm with breathtaking alacrity.”
“My congratulations.”

Victoria smiled back at the man for the greeting. Awfully polite for a Carthian. It almost makes me not want to wish harm upon him, well almost. She thought to herself. "Your too kind Prefect Giessen. To me it feels like I've done nothing but stumble around in the dark trying to get my feet under me. Sacramento certainly is quite the unusual city, but at least it is not boring."

She’d seemed way colder on the phone. Was she supernaturally augmenting her charm?! A second of suicidally homicidal impulses proved this was not the case. Technophobe? Arnoud wasn’t even remotely convinced it were his charms or manners. Her assessment of Sacramento was startlingly similar to his own though. Whether that was comforting or dangerous, Arnoud did not know.

“You hold yourself to high standards, Priscus.” Arnoud nods appreciatively. “Your natural ‘stumbling’ has earned you more than some have accrued over far more concerted attempts at dancing.”
“If it is not too forward, may I ask what city you compare Sacramento to when you remark on it's unusual... personality?"

Victoria chuckled politely at his kind words even if she wanted nothing more than to strangle the man with his own arm after ripping if from his body, "Again you are too kind. I must admit though I didn't expect to given such a position my first night in the city. However, to answer your inquiry I come from Providence, Rhode Island. Although at the moment Providence is far from normal itself with the coup from the local Movement," she finished simply.

Arnoud was sure to keep it off his face but dang, first night Priscus status? He hoped it was more nepotism than… A coup? Really? A disapproving frown showed before being quickly suppressed. Wouldn’t do to openly condemn what other Carthians did without standing something to gain.

“Providence?” Arnoud repeated almost pensively. He might have been there. Still, the Beast had made very clear this was their first meeting. “Well, I hope the city manages to… overcome the adverse effects of any rash change forced upon it.” Arnoud returned, keeping to a politically neutral stance.
“While I am unfamiliar with your political views I am sure we can agree that a certain degree of stability is in the interest of all, the dangers of coups extend beyond the instigators and immediate victims.”

Victoria watched the man carefully to gauge any reaction from him concerning the news she gave him. She wanted to learn what she could about this man if they would be working together. Normally she wouldn't want to broadcast her quick rise, but she had been hoping for some reaction that she could make sense of. Instead it was unclear if he was reacting to her rise or the coup she mentioned with his disapproving look. Ah well. He certainly is more controlled and calm than I would expect of a Carthian meeting with a member of the First Estate. I wonder how much of it is an act.

Victoria spoke calmly after a short pause, "I couldn't have said it better myself. Stability is far more preferable. But, Providence is behind me and the city can burn for all I care. You Mister Giessen, I must say are not exactly as I was expecting you to be. I mean to be cautioning against change? Scandalous," She teased slightly.

Arnoud was somewhat confused. If he didn’t know any better he could swear she was being friendly. Also, why did she twist his words? Then again, Arnoud didn’t feel like correcting her. Despite appearances the very idea still seemed like the verbal equivalent of sticking his head in a wood chipper. So instead he offered a small smile at the Ventrue’s teasing. What was he missing? What did it mean when she reverted back to “mister” instead of Prefect? Acceptance? Veiled disrespect? He really had no clue but all this friendliness was starting to get creepy.

“Now you make me wonder, Madam Stamford, what was it, exactly, you were expecting me to be?”
Arnoud decided to return with an equally teasing note to his voice.

Victoria smiled at the man even though her friendly demeanor was making her sick to her stomach it didn't reflect on her face in the least. She resolved to take a long hot bath and thoroughly scrub herself when she was done here, being this familiar with the filth felt like it was sticking to her. It may be out of duty to the Prince that she was here, but she never had to enjoy it. On second thought, perhaps it would take two baths. "I'm sorry you'll have to forgive me. The Carthians where I was were much more...energetic and...spirited? I realize you’re not all the same, however, I appreciate that we are able to keep things civil and make the best of the task we have been given."

Damn, she was good. ‘Linguistically limber’ or, as some shut-in had called it “an Expert Excrement Expeditor”. Some infinitely small part of Arnoud wondered how far she could be pushed before all
niceties were discarded, all pretense of decency obliterated. Luckily, he never felt like heeding that particular voice. That didn’t mean he wasn’t wondering why she was trying so hard, what her ulterior motive was, if indeed he was luckily enough to find someone with only one such motive.
“No need to apologize, Madam Stamford. Generally your experience teaches you well and you’ve proven to know when to discard those notions that no longer serve your interests.”
One long second Arnoud contemplated telling her how much like a Carthian she was but ultimately found that an alarmingly stupid impulse to even entertain for one moment. Best not allow himself to be further lulled into a false sense of security. She had already tried to steer their conversation towards business, why not oblige her? “Such sensibility might be called for in what lies ahead.”
“When we spoke earlier, you mentioned your… desire to cooperate regarding a task of grave import. I would ask that you reveal your view on the situation and tell me how you would handle it before I taint your fresh perspective on the matter.”

"Hm," she began thoughtfully, "To be honest I don't have a whole lot of information concerning this particular family other than what the boss has said." It was clear she still wasn't entirely comfortable talking freely in public even if they were the only ones here. "I image our first order of business will be to learn what we can about this group, who they are affiliated with and how we might identify one. Then we will have to begin our real investigation. Speaking with people starting with the group that, that particular family is associated with. We can also talk to the people who have been in the city the longest and see what information they can give us concerning the foot traffic. What do you think?" She folded her hands and placed them on her lap and waited expectantly for him to respond.

Arnoud sighs without actually sighing. “I fear we are in agreement. While I’m sure you’ve been briefed on their more obvious hallmarks the first circumspect probing focusing hereon yielded little of interest. Those best approached for the knowledge we seek might very well be the Order. I imagine, however, that it would be best if we kept this investigation as silent as possible, lest our quarry catch wind of the hunt.” Arnoud says, observing how Victoria responds to his words.

Victoria nodded thoughtfully while listening to the man's assessment. "Agreed. We should assume that they know they are being investigated and take the appropriate precautions as well as keeping our inquiries as discreet as possible. I could start with a response to the boss directly asking if there is anyone he knows that has more information on this family that we could speak with. Someone with a scholarly bent focusing on various pieces of lore. Well, if there is such a person in the city anymore that is."

Yes, and afterwards they would most likely retrace their footsteps, finding the lady of this establishment to be of particular interest. As a source of information, of course.

“I did not think there were any other types of people in the Order.” Arnoud jokes almost absent-mindedly.
“Do you agree that, when the time comes to approach this scholar –and circumstances allow– it might be… prudent to hide our interest in a request for information regarding a somewhat broader range of subjects or services?”

"True, but one never knows what scholarly bent the order focuses on. I just hope there is one that focuses on our family trees. I think that is a pretty good idea to ask for a bunch of decoy information as well. Never hurts to be cautious."

Ha! If only she knew… Arnoud spotted the first couple stroll into this deepest part of the lobby. He and Victoria probably still had a few minutes until the show started but the lobby no longer met the high standard of safety and security Arnoud found desirable.
“It appears the first enthusiasts will start swarming this part of the lobby within moments.” Arnoud exaggerated while he rose to his feet. “I understand the sentiment. In fact, I found this show so tempting I seem to have bought more than one ticket.” Arnoud said, as if amused by his mistake.
“I do fear the seats are rather to the front, though, as I was wondering what a change of perspective might do for such a great show. May I invite you to join me in witnessing once more the lady’s creativity?” Arnoud smiled gently. “We might be struck by inspiration of our own regarding this task.”

Victoria smiled playfully at the man despite herself, "That is quite the interesting problem you have there. What manner of woman would I be if I did not assist a man in need?" She stood up and held out her arm and turned to Arnoud, "Shall we be on our way?" Victoria did her best not recoil as the man touched her.

That was he got for trying to be polite. He’d bought crappy tickets, wasn’t she supposed to be above such seats? Arnoud almost stared at the arm like it was a demonically possessed wood chipper out to bite him but caught himself just in time. There was no way he could politely back out now… With a smile that disguised his dread admirably, Arnoud slowly fed his arm into the wood chipper. Glad he no longer had a beating heart. An almost imperceptible jerk as she touched him, a sure sign that his tolerance for blood guzzling monsters was slowly running out again hidden beneath a quickly improvised shy smile.

This was going to be a long, long night.