Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

Educated, scholarly, lawyer, scientist.
    Jack's outward demeanor and tone are a baseline of respectful and calculated.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

The Seneschal's office was lightly furnished to match the tastes of the Lord. In what little decoration existed in the room, there was an impression of wealth in the quality of each item. Two low-back velvet chairs trimmed in gold leaf sat before an aged, hand-carved hardwood desk. The desktop had a fresh lacquer finish, though below that possessed the original and unrestored wood. Aside from tidy folders of paperwork the Lord was engaged with, the surface of the desk was clear of items or other decorations save for a brass inkwell and pen. A keen eye might notice that the chair behind the desk was an unremarkable, plain wooden chair. A small shelf was mounted to a side wall, currently occupied by a mere three books. The quality of the bookends securing two of them in place might suggest the Lord held them in high regard. A third lay on its side near the edge of the shelf. The wall behind the desk was empty, save for an antique, ornate mantle clock.

The Lord was working through some files, reading and making notes as each page turned. Glancing at his Rolex, he made sure his cabochon amethyst cufflinks were in proper order on his attire and glanced towards the open door in anticipation of his guest this evening: Edward Heinrich

Blood Hunt:

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Daeva Vice: Wrath
    Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

Edward stood before the threshold of the Lord's office. The door was open, but a grizzlies cave was unbarred too. Edward paused until the Lord noticed him, which wasn't long.

"Good evening, Seneschal," Edward bowed, then watched for a non-verbal signal to enter. Did the Lord put the papers down? Did he nod before continuing to read? Would Edward be greeted immediately?

He waited to respond appropriately.

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

The Lord lifted his focus from his work and waved the Daeva in, "Good evening Mister Heinrich. I hope you have been well. Please, close the door behind you."

He began to neatly collect the papers and file them away in one of the drawers, leaving his desk mostly clear aside of the few ornaments. He motioned to the chairs upon the room being closed, "Feel free."

Good news had been promised, after all.

Blood Hunt:

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

"Thank you, Seneschal." Edward glided to the side and smoothly shut the door.
    "Your hopes are well founded." Edward began, "my nights have been both productive and joyful. I trust that the nights have also found you well?"

Edward took a seat, spine straight, not quite touching the chairback.

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"I believe so..." the Lord smiled at the exchange of pleasantries. "Our meeting was delayed for too long, but it was important to vet a new Reeve for the Domain."

He leaned back in his rather ordinary chair, "I suppose we can start off with the more obvious topic at hand." His index finger descended onto the desk in waiting.

Blood Hunt:

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

Edward smiled politely at the reason for the delay. If the signing never happened, it would mean nothing to Edward. He considered making a polite comment about Helen but decided against it.

"Indeed." Edward agreed to move on to the central issue. "I spoke with the Lady Notary, who indicated the possibility that you might wish to oversee my oath personally, Seneschal. Might I ask for clarity regarding wether or not this is the case?"

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Hmm," the Lord made a sound of thought as he lifted the finger from the desk. "I had assumed the business was already done."

"How did the conversation with the Lady Notary go? I assume there was quite a bit to reconcile given the time directly before your departure."

Blood Hunt:

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

A few responses came to mind, but the lack of a surface accusation meant nothing was needed.

"Reconciliation was likely briefer than you are imagining. I spoke of my poor conduct, offered a major boon, and while I will not say we put the matter behind us, the Lady Notary was gracious enough to permit peace. The rest of our conversation was regarding the ongoing investigation into the killings associated with Forten. While I am loath to play mind-reader, I suspect the peace I enjoy with Lady Notary is at least partially contingent upon my continuing service to the Domain — I was granted the privilege to earn forgiveness."

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Your assessment certainly couldn't hurt the status quo," given the nature of his refusal, making himself valuable to the Domain was certainly worthwhile. Regardless, the Incubus was not oathbound this night. "Well, I suppose it gives me the opportunity to ask you to explain yourself in greater detail. That night I was an observer but curiosity has all but consumed me since your refusal and subsequent expulsion. Why did you have such an unrelenting issue with the Oath as written?"

"Much of your qualm appeared to be with the language around service and loyalty to the Domain and its Court if I recall correctly..." he yielded from his forward posture and settled back to his chair. "You can imagine that specific detail is of great interest to myself and of course the Prince."

Blood Hunt:

Presence
    (Unobstrusive)
    Edward Heinrich

Edward Heinrich Scenes

PRE

Edward wondered for a moment if the Prince had never mentioned their conversation to Jacque. The other possibility was, naturally, trying to see if the story changed. But, no, Edward wasn't significant enough to warrant that. Why then? What felt odd?

"I am at your disposal to satisfy that curiosity, Seneschal." Edward began, giving himself a moment to think. "The proximate cause was the specific line, 'all future unwritten laws.' Please excuse me if my memory of the precise wording has faded." His mind was on something else, replaying the wording Jacque had used. "To swear absolute obedience to any unwritten law without restriction at any time in the future, without even the option to depart the Domain? I was terrified." A little more honesty and a little eloquence that Edward normally strove for.

It hit him. 'That night, I was an observer.' Had Jacque ever referenced himself as having a passive role like that before? Edward hadn't spoken with the Lord enough to baseline. Was it just an odd turn of phrase? Or was there something more?

1 success

Edward tilted his head to the side and briefly closed his eyes. "My understanding of the philosophy of law has improved, and my relationship with Oaths has matured. This is no longer a sticking point for me."

His eyes reopened, and Edward reestablished eye contact, his focus once again wholly upon the conversation.
    "The more general cause was my self-centred view of courtesy. I now regard my previous attitude as banal and rather distasteful, but if you should like to hear a more extended explanation, I shall supply one."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread