Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Acknowledging Adeline

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

Educated, scholarly, lawyer, scientist.
    Jack's outward demeanor and tone are a baseline of respectful and calculated.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

The Lord waited in one of the smaller conference rooms just outside of court proper. He wore no jacket this evening, just a silken vest with purple paisley on a black background. He had a tie stud linked with gold chain, cabochon cut amethysts on his cuff links and a Rolex.

While he waited he was writing notes into a folio using a fountain pen.

The door was open for the arrival of his guest, Adeline Martin

Blood Hunt:

2. Likes liked this post

Alt Identity
    (Adeline Martin)
    Presence
    (Playful)
    Striking Looks
    (Beautiful)
    Adeline Martin

+2
    SL
    PRE

To say Adeline had sweated every single detail of this meeting, was an understatement. She was still stinging from her rejection from the Priscus in Chicago. That little turd had expected quite the price for her to actually make a home there. She wisely refused and simply conducted what business she had as quickly as possible and got out of there. The insult was still fresh in her mind even as she descended into the belly of the Elysium of Sacramento to meet with Seneschal Jack. Just Jack. She had marveled at that. It was clever on so many levels. It was also a bit humble. Which wasn’t usually something she ever attributed to fellow Lords.

Adeline had agonized over what to wear. She wanted to look as harmless as possible. It was almost an even split you know. The reaction she usually received when her bloodline was revealed. Some pitied her, aware of the obsession that boiled her very blood. The ebb and tide of their mercurial moods. Some simply feared them. Knowing full well what they were capable of at their best. Others still? Blissfully unaware. She had been open, and he still had invited her here. Did she dare trust to hope?

She had selected a white dress. It was simply a silk poly blend that was more intriguing in cut than it was in detail. She felt a wee bit exposed. Her hair down, it felt girlish in a way. Without her normal armor of a well fixed French twist. The way her hair framed her beautiful face, she knew it softened her immensely. She had come to ask for a home. It had been too long a road and she was far too ready to settle in, grow her business and connections in the human world, and finally find her final destination. Perhaps even a Covenant.

So as she walked through that door, she did not harden herself. She would present a more genuine front than she had in decades. As he was simply Seneschal Jack, she would be simply Adeline.

"Good evening, Seneschal Jack. Thank you for making time in your schedule to meet with me."

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Steel eyes lifted from his folio as he felt the approach of the unfamiliar beast. His guest, no doubt. He closed the pad and lifted to his feet- a conscious action to let the beast inside know he was a step ahead and that it would heel. He gestured to the seat across from him, "Ms. Adeline Martin, I presume? Please. Have a seat."

He watched the figure move to wherever she would settle before returning to his chair. "I hope your journey to the city was pleasant and uneventful," he offered some minor well wishing. "Why don't we start off by telling me a little bit about yourself and what brings you to Sacramento." It was almost a question, but ended up an instruction.

Blood Hunt:

5. Likes liked this post

Alt Identity
    (Adeline Martin)
    Presence
    (Playful)
    Striking Looks
    (Beautiful)
    Adeline Martin

+2
    SL
    PRE

She froze for a moment, expecting to feel Jack’s beast, and there was nothing for hers to react to. Her beast lay quiet. It startled her because usually she was greeted with an equal beast. The absence of the beast was noteworthy to her. She watched his body language carefully in those first few moments, disguising it as elevator eyes. The most dangerous chords of the Danse. While she couldn’t feel his power, she knew he felt hers. She didn’t hide her beast. She amplified it. After that tense moment, she dropped into a full curtsy. A low one. Yet her eyes rolled up like a lion drinking at the water hole, never leaving him. There was no attack, so she took the chair closest to his, and sat.

She smiled, letting herself settle fully into the chair. See, no threat here. She was the picture of repose. She inclined her head a bit to his pleasantries. “Thank you Seneschal, it was a pleasant trip.” She assured him she was not accosted along the way. Now to the business…

“Business brings me to Sacramento. I am in business for myself as a Venture Capitalist. There are deep pockets in Sacramento that could do with my multifaceted talents at selecting the right businesses to invest in. My job is to make my clients money, but also to help businesses meet the right investors that will give them what they need to be successful. I take my cut directly off the top, and walk away. Now I have been doing this on the road for years at this point, but I’m looking to make Sacramento a base of operations. It’s simply time to stop being a nomad. I have enjoyed my freedom, but everything has a price. Growing my business requires more stability. This is what I seek. A city where I can do my thing, and pursue my goals with all the fire in my blood, and be ultimately left to it.” Easy peasy taco breezy!

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Not unheard of," the Lord remarked. It was the capital of the large western state. "I remember another cousin who came with the goal of cornering real estate. He had a focus on the ley lines in the area... naturally being a Dragon." His eyes wandered off into a long off history. "I should hope you have more success than he did."

"Now," a pointed word as he returned his focus to the task at hand. "Sacramento enjoys a prosperity where its inhabitants grow, but it too has a price. All of its inhabitants are expected to step up and investigate matters of Domain security as they come up." He shifted in his seat, "I didn't want there to be any misunderstandings about being 'left to it'." ​In fact, it was unlikely for her to be left alone.

Blood Hunt:

8. Likes liked this post

Alt Identity
    (Adeline Martin)
    Presence
    (Playful)
    Striking Looks
    (Beautiful)
    Adeline Martin

+2
    SL
    PRE

Her eyebrows shot up at first. Dragons? Here? Really? She saw them more in cities with stronger occult ties. Like San Francisco, New Orleans, Seattle, Salem. They loved places like that from what she’d seen. “Hmm…” She mused aloud. “I don’t just do real estate, Seneschal. I am open to many different types of business ventures. It’s like matchmaking, but with a lot of money.” She supplied him with a cat-like grin. “I should warn you, I am Unaligned. Not by choice, but by habit. Leading a purely nomadic lifestyle does not lend one much to the covenants, and my sire had ummm,” She paused as if weighing the words. Being careful with how much she supplied up front. “ a bit different focus for me. I admit I took it a little far, but now it's time to settle down.”

He got an intensity in her gaze that he hadn’t seen in her before when he shifted. Fidgeting drew out the beast in her. It excited something deep within. Made her yearn for a proper hunt. His lack of beast was unsettling in a strange way. It played with her radar. She listened to his bit about Domain security. Huh. That was weird. She hadn’t expected that. She said as much.

“That is different. Usually the only Kindred deigned worthy of such pursuits are the Sheriff and deputies, and if there is a Hound of course, they join in those at their discretion. Basically the most trusted and martially capable in the domain. Please enlighten me how it works here, and exactly how small of a court you have in this extremely large city and then you and I will hatch just how I will serve in assistance. I will not bring shame to our clan. I would never hear of such a thing.”

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Of course not," he smiled at what she doesn't just do. "Agility is what keeps capitalists in business isn't it?" He thought a moment upon her warning, "So was I when I arrived in Sacramento. I actually spent quite a bit of time as such before I found my interests aligned with that of the Unconquered. Is there any fallout I should be made aware of from the life you're moving on from?" A short pause before clarifying, "Anything that could impact Sacramento, that is."

"We use the title of Reeve in this Domain, and yes it is true that they lead those efforts but it takes a village Ms Martin. Aside from your profession, what other strengths do you possess?" She was clever, and he could almost appreciate it. In fact, he might just enjoy the clever game of informational tug of war. She was new to the city though, so the Lord kept it easy to play. "I am elated to hear such a vow," he responded with a coy smile. How high would the bar be set for the beautiful Lord?

Blood Hunt:

11. Likes liked this post

Alt Identity
    (Adeline Martin)
    Presence
    (Playful)
    Striking Looks
    (Beautiful)
    Adeline Martin

+2
    SL
    PRE

She giggled a bit. “Agility and wage stagnation. Keep the peasants in line.” She only half joked. Capitalism left unchecked was just as despotic as any other system collapsing on itself. She let the surprise fill her features when he revealed he was once Unaligned too. Well well well. Hmm maybe the stigma wouldn’t fall around her like a fart!

“The unconquered? You mean the Invictus, to clarify?” Though she was pretty sure that was what they called themselves. She preferred never to assume. Assuming, became sloppiness, becoming looking like a total asshole. Or worse, doubling down and refusing to listen to anything other than yourself. After she got the answer she answered his concern.

“No. There was an incident when I was in Miami with some of the other Adrestoi. When we are together in numbers or encounter one another on travels, we often will hunt together. As is our tradition. The hunt is sacred to us. It is something to behold, but it also seems to feed into our beastial natures. Many amongst us are devotees of the Sanctified. That part of our nature aligns with the church. We became feared even by the other Ventrue in the city, and were forced to disband. I was welcomed to stay alone. I tended to simply mind my business, but I left too, and have been wandering ever since. I tried to get an acknowledgement from the Prince of Chicago, but he wanted something from me I did not wish to give him. I rejected his offer, and he still offered me a bit of time to conclude business and go. Temporary feeding rights as well. I have not broken any laws or any such nonsense, but I have been shown the door out of fear.”

“Obviously I can offer services to those looking to start businesses and the like. I have a wonderful ability to distract and extract information through my mundane charm and when necessary intimidation. I can make Jesus Christ himself come off the cross to slap me. I have a flair for the dramatic, as I’m sure you can tell.” She paused, though she knew damn well that’s not what he meant. She was tap dancing a little because it would soften the blow. Or so she hoped. “As for our signature specialty, I have no proficiency in it. That is not what has kept me alive, and I am fantastic all on my own in business. I don’t need Dominate to simply pass through. My sire has a ritual that he personally puts all of his embraces through, and it awakens the wild in our blood. So I have a Professional Level knowledge of Protean, and it is as familiar to me as our other gifts of blood.” There. She got that out. Ball was in his court now, and she had to admit, her interest was piqued.

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"I do..." he answered. He watched carefully but saw little reaction to the choice of name aside from clarification. Always good to know what kind of Kindred he was dealing with, whether it be as simple as a closet Carthian or one who possessed unchecked pride.

"Maneuvering through such a minefield is no easy task. I must commend you." The Lord commented on her history and nomadic trials. "I am not so short-sighted as those you seem to have encountered in your travels. You will be held to the same expectations as any other resident of this Domain." Slender fingers flicked into the air, "If the Sanctified interests you, I believe the local chapter may finally host a mass towards the end of next month. It will be the first one in a very long time."

His lips pulled into a grin at her self description. Her playful nature was charming and he didn't mind the casual descriptors. "I have met shadows who did not have the sight, but they were strong in their own respects. I am not surprised there is a Lord who is incapable of dominating the minds of others. Truth be told, I think many of our cousins rely on it too much." He grinned at the reveal, "Protean, eh? It's a good thing there aren't many Savages left in the Domain aside from the Prince." He scratches his nails together, "So many in history that had only that, and I don't imagine they would have responded well to sharing. Her Grace is significantly wiser than that, though." Resilience, Animalism... interesting. "I assume you can handle yourself in a scrap then?"

"I have to say, it is refreshing to have a conversation with this kind of candor," his eyes flicked up at her as he reached into his vest pocket. "Makes me wonder what you might not be sharing," he was coy but not accusatory. He produced a folded parchment and slid it across the table. "Please take a moment to read over the Laws of our Domain and let me know if you have any questions."

Blood Hunt:

14. Likes liked this post

Alt Identity
    (Adeline Martin)
    Presence
    (Playful)
    Striking Looks
    (Beautiful)
    Adeline Martin

+2
    SL
    PRE

She just nodded at him stating the nickname for the Invictus. If not caring about the Covenants was an Olympic sport, she had the gold medal. He gets the feeling observing her that she just hadn’t really had an opportunity to care, much less have any serious conversations about it.

She listened to his kind words, and nodded a bit. “Thank you for seeing it that way. I’ve more often than naught received much more judgemental views on my lifestyle choices. I appreciate you being more willing to play ball so to speak and work with me.” She nodded with a warm smile, and something coiled in her guts relaxed. “I will check that out. The Adrestoi have always held the faith, and our ritual hunts coincide before the Sabbath day of Rest.” She hesitated a second, wondering if she was force feeding him info here buuut, “which the day of rest is sundown Friday evening until sundown Saturday evening. So I will of course be attending Mass. Though I am not entirely certain on joining the Sanctified. Mainly because fellow Adrestoi who have, tend to take it to an extreme.”

She nodded in agreement with Jack regarding the overuse of Dominate by the clan. “Yes. Discipline usage has always been my tertiary approach. Gifts of the blood tend to be quite overt. Especially Dominate. A wink and a smile and a timely bribe to look the other way can go a lot easier than hammering in compliance through Dominate. Mary Poppins said it best - ‘A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.’ “ She paused for a moment and reflected on her fighting ability. “I am more of a lover than a fighter, but if I absolutely have to I can defend myself.” She paused for a moment. “Let me ask you this. I am assuming that you have the Big D handled, so would you prefer I move in a more martial direction? Has our clan been subjected to physical threat or that of the domain?”

“Well I mean, lying to people to get your foot in the door seems like a great way to lose everything after investing in said Domain. I’d rather you kick me out up front, then have it happen later when I have established a foothold here.” To her that was just common sense. “On one note though, do you think the Prince, being a Gangrel, would be upset that I share a discipline of that nature with them? Should I maybe not bring it up unless we are in private?” She paused and sighed slightly. “You are my blood, you have more reason to be welcoming than the Prince would. The Gangrel guard that discipline like Ebeneezer Scrooge on payday. I don’t want it to be a sticking point of distrust and hatred for me.” With that she took the paper from him and read through the laws. Most were pretty standard, a few things stood out, but nothing that was a total deal breaker. They were stern laws, but you’d be hard pressed to find a Domain that didn’t have that. “That all looks to be in order. I will have to watch my mouth in Elysia. I love to use colorful language, and when I have sung to entertain a court, some songs have uh… some spicy language.”

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread