Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
11 - 20
DISPLAYED
(DG) To do some digging.

Jul 11, 2022 : (DG) To keep them from digging.
(DG) To keep them from digging.
Jul 11, 2022 - Jul 27, 2022
(DG) Graveyard shift, the second.
Aug 6, 2022 - Nov 5, 2022
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last

"Yeah. Okay, come with me." He gave Puck a thinly veiled look of suspicion before turning around and leading the way deeper into the hospital. After a few turns and doors they finally arrived at a small room labeled 'Head of Security - T. Stock'. It was on the ground level, but pretty close to the stairs and elevators. Inside was a small locker, a desk with several monitors and a chair on each side.

Mr. Stock sat down behind his desk and motioned Puck so sit. "First things first: what kind of security breach are we talking 'bout?" His eyes flickered to one of the monitors - probably a feed of security cameras - and back to the Acanthus. "I keep a close eye on my team and on whatever is going on in here. If something fishy was going on it would have to pass me somehow." He sounded pretty tense. Was he afraid of being caught or was he honestly pissed off due to the accusations?

Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Snarky)
    Puck

Nimbus

Winds blow around the mage, varying in intensity depending on the spell and parting abruptly after.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Puck follows and sits as directed. He's a guest who wants something, and that means Mr. Stock is in charge.

"Stolen or missing bodies. I've tracked down multiple and they all either go missing here or at another smaller site."

He pauses for a moment to let the man process.

"Missing bodies means no closure for the families who don't get to see their loved ones that final time at the viewing, and association with black market body parts doesn't leave this establishment looking the best. Hence why I'm here. I help you find out what happened, and in exchange for that assistance I write that the hospital cooperated in the discovery of the culprits."

At this point the sell was getting to be rote, and his pitch might be sounding less then enthusiastic as repetition turns negotiation into a foregone conclusion. At least in his mind.

1 suxx persuasion if needed
    Date Action Roll Result
    2022-08-06 07:07:30 Twist rolls 4 to What's that Sigil? (Int + Occult) (10 Again) 7, 5, 10, 2, 8 2 successes

stats

2 successes

Mr. Stock listened to what Puck had to say, beady eyes searching the Enchanter's face while he talked. He took a moment to search for words when it was his turn to speak - clearly, he was humoring Puck but he actually seemed a bit surprised by those accusations. "I can assure you that nothing of the sort is happening here. We have security footage watching 24/7 and I'd say if people were to just carry bodies out of here we'd probably catch that." He was almost sounding a bit condescending now. Not how someone would react if he was indeed taking Puck seriously.
    Then again, if they had a 24/7 surveillance that meant that there was definite proof either way.

If you want to contest the Subterfuge roll, please give me a (Wits + Empathy) roll.

Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Snarky)
    Puck

Nimbus

Winds blow around the mage, varying in intensity depending on the spell and parting abruptly after.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Does that typically work on your coworkers?"

The Enchanter is smiling. Less offended by the lie then amused. Spoiler alert? Puck's a reporter. Reporters have this pesky habit of finding things people try to hide. Stuff. Stories. emotions.

"I've already been made aware by reliable sources that it's happening. And if you have the constant surveillance you claim on the hospital, I'd wager you know something is off. So why don't we work together to get to the bottom of it? You of all people have the most to gain by resolving this swiftly once something is brought to your attention. I get my story, you get to tell your boss you got to the bottom of the issue swiftly and to the best of your ability. Seems fair doesn't it?"

Puck watches the man, carefully weighing his own words and how he wants to proceed.

3 suxx empathy, 2 suxx persuasion
    Date Action Roll Result
    2022-08-10 21:11:26 Puck rolls 7 to fast talk (Manip+Pers) (10 Again) 10, 6, 7, 3, 6, 10, 4, 4, 4 2 successes
    2022-08-10 20:07:46 Puck rolls 8 to lie detection (Wits+Comp) (10 Again) 1, 3, 8, 10, 5, 7, 5, 9, 4 3 successes

stats

3 successes

So Puck knew that the guy was lying - but why? From Stock's raised eyebrows as the Acanthus laid it down it was clear that the hospital's best intentions weren't really high on his list of priorities. "As much as you'd like to tell me that something is off, I really don't know what you're talking about." Weasel-like eyes study Puck for a while, then a smile appeared on the security guard's face.
    "Sounds like a lot of empty threats for whatever reason and frankly I don't appreciate that."

So there went the diplomatic angle. For whatever reason Mr. Stock was not in a cooperative mood.

Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Snarky)
    Puck

Nimbus

(Perfect Timing)Mana 1 Spent
    +1
    SL
    PRE

What was it about 'let's work together and solve your problems' that sounded threatening? Threatening is running a story about a behavior blind incompetent's failure to apprehend a body theif at hospital that snatched multiple bodies under his watch. This right here? It's cutting a deal. You scratch my back I stop the necromancer from starting the zombie apocalypse.

"It's an offer." Seriously, keep up Stock. A golden glyph blossomed into being, once again granting Puck insight into when to speak. Though tied with his boredom it was growing more distracting then useful, and he couldn't help but wonder if there was a better way of going about this. "A threat is saying I'd publish an article about the bodies that went missing under your watch and name you and your office phone and email for direct inquiry by law enforcement. I'm not doing that. I'm asking if you are interested in working together. Comprende?"

3 suxx perfect timing, and failure to fast talk
    Date Action Roll Result
    2022-08-15 21:11:17 Puck rolls 10 to fast talk (Manip+Pers+3PT) (10 Again) 5, 6, 4, 2, 4, 3, 7, 4, 3, 1 failure
    2022-08-15 21:10:45 Puck rolls 6 to Imp Perfect Timing (Time+Gno) (10 Again) 1, 8, 5, 8, 9, 6 3 successes

stats

I get it, but I don't like your attitude and I don't think that you don't get that there is. No. Story."
    Except there was, and Puck knew it. And fuck it, even that guy seemed to know that Puck knew. The Acanthus could think of few other reasons why Stock looked so smug right now.

So talking definitely hadn't worked out so far. Maybe there was another way to strongarm the security into talking, maybe Puck somehow could get access to the security footage.
    Or maybe the Enchanter could think of an entirely different angle.

Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Snarky)
    Puck

Nimbus

+1
    SL
    PRE

It occurs to Puck that he could just throw down a hex so this obvious liar couldn't string three syllabals together without losing his train of thought. That would be unwise though, and he already pushed the envelope hexxing sleepers once.

"There is."

His words are as matter of fact as Stock's were smug. Puck rises from his seat and walks back towards the main entrance. He doesn't wait for Stock's response. It won't be anything useful, and it's established in Puck's mind he's at least complicit.

As he leaves he makes his way back towards the main entrance. He wasn't looking to speak to the nurse at the front desk again. Instead he looks for a map or directory for the hospitals incoming visitors. Now that the head of security is probably watching him on camera, he needs to know what the general layout of the hospital is since he's probably not getting any help from security.

2 suxx perception if needed
    Date Action Roll Result
    2022-08-23 19:20:39 Puck rolls 8 to Perception (Wits+Comp) (10 Again) 6, 3, 7, 5, 1, 7, 10, 10, 5, 7 2 successes

stats

Stock didn't just insist on his right to be smug, he doubled down on it. "If you insist." He apparently didn't care that the whole conversation has turned into a playground argument.
    Puck left the office without much more than a hunch. He could have hexed the head of security out of spite, maybe he could have found a way to access the tapes.

What he opted for instead was getting a general overview of the situation at hand. It didn't take him that long to find a feasible route of possible transport between the morgue and an loading dock slash exit. There weren't many opportunities for stray witnesses to bust a possible inside job. Mr. Stock's office was far away from that area, but that didn't have to mean much. Would that suffice or did the Acanthus want to dig deeper?

Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Snarky)
    Puck

Nimbus

+1
    SL
    PRE

Welp, Puck probably had how, what, who, and where. The remaining questions were why and when. He could probably postcog now without to much of an issue, but that didn't mean there wasn't anything else that could be found.

Puck pulls out his phone and snaps a picture of the loading dock before heading back to the morgue. He takes a picture of the entrance to the morgue too if he can get close enough. He also keeps an eye out for security and any electronic surveillance along the way. He wasn't here to get arrested, though getting booted from the hospital was certainly not the worst thing that could happen when crooked security is looking for extra corpses to disappear.

4 suxx to look for big brother
    Date Action Roll Result
    2022-09-06 01:14:02 Puck rolls 8 to Perception (Wits+Comp) (10 Again) 1, 9, 2, 9, 9, 9, 4, 5 4 successes

stats

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread