Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Shadows Asunder

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

HP: 0/7 [7 Bash]
    WP: 0/2
    Vitae: 2/6

Equipment: Reinforced Jacket, Broadsword, Messenger Bag (flashlight, pen, notepad, binoculars, duct tape), Phone, Wallet ($50 cash)
    Combat Stats

Def: 3 (Dex; Tonfa +1)
    Armor: 1/0 (Reinforced Clothing)
    Initiative: 4
    Speed: 9

PRE

Conner's Haven isn't the most outstanding of vampire hideouts. If anything, its mundanity was a kind of defensive asset; secured with Occultic wards that prevented the unknowing from stumbling upon it. But for those of good intention, those were little barriers.

Though 'good intentions' run few and far between in Kindred circles.

Conner has just finished preparing the sparse studio space for a visiter, a visiter who for all intents and purposes was his polar opposite in beliefs. A Lancea Pastor and a Crone Acolyte meeting in closed quarters. Rowan would have an absolute field day. He's made sure that his books and notepads are stowed away, as are any weapons. The only objects of note on the table are a pair of shot glasses, just in case creature comforts are required to ease the meeting. Or liquid courage.

Tonight, there would be talk of Shadows and secrets. And of how Clan Mekhet would next be seen in the Domain...

Albert Baker

Status
    (Acknowledged)
    Albert Baker

PRE

And finally the night had come that'd determine the course for the family for the time being until Quinn returned, if she returned... But that was a matter for another day and wasn't of importance now. Shaking off the thought Al followed the street to the address given in the letter and having arrived folded the map and put it back into his briefcase before approaching the building. He had an odd feeling, even granted that the intentions of Mr. Wells were good and he meant no harm, he still was part of the Lancea and it was hard not to think of one of THEM as an adversary, though he tried giving him the benefit of the doubt for the family.

Mentally ignoring what Mr. LaFleur would have to say about meeting with one of THEM, he rang the doorbell and waited, leaning on his cane and dressed as usual in a grey suit, today an almost white one. He had come unarmed and on a metaphorical truce and time would tell whether that truce could become peace and develop into trust...

3. Likes liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Equipment: Reinforced Jacket, Broadsword, Messenger Bag (flashlight, pen, notepad, binoculars, duct tape), Phone, Wallet ($50 cash)
    Combat Stats

PRE

There's a flare of alarm and anger in his gut as the doorbell's tone interrupts Conner's attempts at finding calm. INTRUDER. ​The inner monster takes this as a declaration of war. But Conner forces the darker impulse down and makes careful, quiet strides to the door. Checking through the peephole to make doubly sure, he does in fact see the impeccably prepared Albert. So it begins...

Conner opens the door, a weathered but friendly smile greeting the fellow Mekhet. "Mr. Baker, thanks for accepting my invitation. Please come on in." Conner opens the door to allow Albert to enter, then closes it back. The sound of the latch clicking again feeling like a mini-death knell. "Please join me at the table. If you need drink I've got a few options in the kitchen." A little human gesture. Conner wonders how the Crone disciple will take the gesture from one of the Sanctified. Hopefully as an olive branch.

Unless Alfred prefers to stand, Conner will take his seat at the dining room table. The chairs having been set equidistant and Conner taking the seat furthest from the door; another gesture to communicate goodwill.
    Or at least not make Albert feel cornered. ​"First off, I would like to know how you're doing here. I understand that transitioning to a new home can be a rocky process, but you've come at a good time with few troubles in the Domain." Not quite beating around the bush, but he is curious of how open Albert will be to casual conversation.

"And second...I'm sure you understand why you're here. With Priscus Durant gone Domain officials will be looking at Clan Mekhet to see how we react. Obviously if we do nothing we risk falling into the same trap the Mekhet Clan has fallen into in the past here: we fall out of grace. And it will take us much longer to rebuild the trust that Priscus Durant spent much time and blood building up." Conner has to catch himself from calling Quinn by her first name. The ache in his heart that a good friend was gone yet again. The roads not taken yearning to be gazed upon. "A Priscus will have to be chosen. That much is clear." Conner leans back in his chair, arms crossed. He's clearly uncomfortable with the topic, but resolute. "I'll admit, as the senior Mekhet in the room the thought of taking the position has crossed my mind. But for too long our Clan has had leaders slide into power simply by default. I don't want that. And I don't think you want that either. So I want to give you this chance to, if you're willing, express why you think either of us is more qualified to lead the Clan. At least for the near future." He leaves the ball firmly in Albert's court. And waits to see if Monster or Man will leap first.

Status
    (Acknowledged)
    Albert Baker

PRE

Al entered through the door, with the usual wave of incense preceding him.

"You're welcome and I thank you for inviting me, Mr. Wells."

Sitting down he began with the smalltalk his host seemed to expect. Smalltalk. One of those things he didn't understand the need of. The offer of a drink was declined for the moment with a gesture.

"Indeed and that is good. I'm trying to involve myself in business and be social, though it isn't easy for me. I'm doing rather well all in all."

Listening to what Conner said, he nodded while smiling internally. Seeing what you do there. Bit obviously, Mr. Wells, bit obviously

"Of course I do. It is crystal clear that we must decide on a new Priscus... for the time being."

The internal smile started to appear on the outside when he played the ball back simply by asking a question.

"I thank you. I agree on the fact that neither of us would want someone becoming Priscus by default. I'll ask you a question on the topic: You are more familiar with the goals, measures and projects of Priscus Durand than I happen to be, is that correct?"

6. Likes liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

PRE

The smell of incense comes at a surprise for Conner's senses, but only for that fraction of a second it takes for Kindred to adapt to incoming stimuli. Sometimes I wish I could just turn these senses down for a while. Conner doesn't begrudge Albert refusing a drink; in truth he expected that, but hopes that the gesture is still appreciated as is. "The never-ending grind of unlife. Some nights are indeed harder than others. But there's hope even in the mundane."

To the point and...was Albert smiling? I guess he's opening up...Or waiting for an opening. Conner's beginning to appreciate his fellow Shadow more and more. Even if he can't escape that growing annoyance of having a grinning monster on the other side of the table. "Yes, I would. If only by measure of time and experience. Priscus Durant had gone to great lengths to ensure the Mekhet made themselves useful in the Domain to themselves and others. To that end she'd made extensions of friendship towards Priscus Hazelton and Clan Nosferatu in hopes of finding avenues of cooperation to make the most use of our unique talents. Priscus Durant had also been involved with a number of Domain investigations involving the arcane, which I can only imagine we..." He gestures across the table to Albert. "...given our unique Covenant affiliations, would have some experience in." ​He can't ignore the fact that their Covenant backgrounds would give each Kindred a unique outlook on supernatural phenomena.

"The only other major rule, which I'm sure Priscus Durant made clear to you upon your acknowledgement, was to restrict the teaching of Auspex to non-Clan members. I'm not aware of the extent of your mastery of Auspex, but I for one would like to uphold that wish of Priscus Durant in her absence."
    Part of keeping Clan Mekhet in use in the Domain was protecting their secrets, after all.

Status
    (Acknowledged)
    Albert Baker

PRE

Albert nodded and continued the bits of smalltalk. It was was people expected after all, wasn't it?

"Indeed. Even in our condition hope is important."

Upon the matter of Quinn and her deals and the pies she had her fingers in he listened silently and nodding while Conner spoke, the smile dissolving into a neutral expression.

"Without doubt. I'm currently trying to retrace the exact cooperation between the Prisci Durant and Hazelton. In time I might be able to retrace all of the cooperations behind the screen so to speak so that we might continue working on them."

When Conner mentioned he'd like to follow the 'wish' of Quinn not to spread Auspex beyond the ranks of the family, Al looked puzzled for a moment as he didn't think it was merely a wish and couldn't understand that anyone might want to break what should be an iron rule.

"You for one? I'm most certain that anyone with an ounce of common sense would agree on the fact that that should be an ironclad rule by default. It is our trade secret after all and secrets should be and stay as such..."

Then there was the elephant in the room, the matter of discussion for the night and without doubt the tricky point of contention.

"Alright then, I fear we still must answer the most important question that led us to being here tonight: who shall be Priscus. I do admit I'm not adverse to the position myself, so how can we come to an agreement on the matter?"

9. Likes liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

PRE

As the talk turns to facts and alliances, Conner nods as Mr. Baker relays his progress. "I appreciate the due diligence, especially with how new you are here." Again, giving credit where credit was due. Shadows have to be Shadows: gathering information wherever they can.

Albert's puzzled expression and swift and firm stance on the matter prompts perhaps the first real smug smile in Conner's unlifetime. A close-lipped but Cheshire-like display of pride. "As I'd hoped and anticipated you'd respond. Thank you, Mr. Baker." The predator had a bit more leeway there; not a threat display but just luxuriating in a ploy played out to satisfaction.

But then there's that flicked of ambition in the mild-mannered Baker's voice that raises the predator's hackles. That desire for power. That desire for contest. It pulsed through both of them as surely as blood pumped through human hearts. And we have to be better. "Allow me to make a proposal..." ​Conner leans forward again in his chair, hands together with a thoughtful expression and just a hint of conspiratorial pride. "Months ago, Priscus Durant was preparing me to step in as Clan Whip. Obviously there was no need back when the Clan was just the two of us, but with the Clan expanding the opportunity was there. The only wrinkle was the timing..." A sadness creeps into his eyes just a bit. "And now a new Shadow has arrived in the Domain, giving the Clan the size it needs to fill both positions without looking like lip service." He leans back a bit, giving Mr. Baker a moment to consider what Conner has said.

"My proposal is that you assume the role of Mekhet Priscus, and I serve as your Clan Whip. This way our new Shadow has an experienced Kindred to teach her about the Domain and be her advocate while you have the opportunity to further Clan alliances with the research you've already accumulated. We both get a chance to grow and serve the Clan." A bit of hardness creeps into his expression here. ​"My one caveat here is that we must both agree to put our Covenant allegiances behind if we are to take these roles. The Clan comes first; I will not use any status within the Clan to undermine the Circle of the Crone, and you won't use your status within the Clan to undermine the Lancea Sanctum." Harsh? Perhaps. But it has to be said, given the oppositional natures of their Covenants. "As long as that is understood and protected, then I'll gladly stand by your side come hell or high water."

Status
    (Acknowledged)
    Albert Baker

PRE

Al nodded in turn, appreciate the credit given, even though he was just doing his duty.

"It needs to be done and I felt that was part of my contribution to the family. Thank you for the credit."

Still there mentally wondering why there might be people who wouldn't see it that way, he nodded again.

"You're welcome. Though I'd think anyone would have this stance on that matter."

When Conner voiced his proposal, Al listened. It seemed too bad that Quinn had disappeared without a second-in-command and while he didn't like inflated structures where two thirds of a group had posts and the rest didn't, it seemed... necessary to have a Whip, if only to avoid the same problem they had now in the future.

"I see. My sympathies. I'm usually not a friend of stuffing too many titles into a small group of us, as inflates bureaucracy and causes inefficency. I see the point though, in having the Priscus have a second-in-command, just for cases like this one..."

He paused thnking over the possible agreement and summarizing it, as if thinking loudly. It was an agreement he could very comfortably live with.

"So we leave the covenants and their ideology outside on clan meetings, don't work against each other and cooperate for the sake of the family which comes first..."

He let the summary stand for a while before speaking again.

"Agreed."

With a smile he looked upon Conner.

"And now perhaps a drink would be in order to celebrate our agreement, Whip Wells."

12. Likes liked this post
    Blood & Faith
    Presence
    (Earnest)
    Allies
    (Academia)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Eidectic Memory
    Conner Wells
    PRP Stats

Combat Stats

(Consume Food/Drink)Vitae 1 Spent
    PRE

If his lungs were still functional, Conner would've been holding his breath. As it was, the psychosomatic urge to do so was irritating him, like an itch he was unable to scratch. Don't give him anything to hold onto, dammit! Don't show him any weakness! He's part of the Clan now. Whatever he has against me is his pitfall, not mine.

But there was something to be learned here too. Albert is patient; clearly weighing pros and cons before overcommitting, listening to his Clanmate and leaving room for clarification and interpretation. There's an odd feeling of satisfaction in Conner's more human gut as he nods in response to Albert's summation. "Clear as crystal."

And then the penny drops. And Conner's smile is now genuine...relieved. For the moment at least, it looks like his judgements have been sound. ​Maybe Quinn will be proud. "A welcome sentiment, Priscus Baker." Conner steps away from the table just long enough to pour some liquid refreshment: red wine. Cliched? Maybe. Fitting. More or less.

Conner hands Albert his glass and, lifting his own across the table tipped slightly to his...ally. Let friends come later. It hurts less when allies leave. "Here's to Clan Mekhet. May the nighttime sharpen our senses and bring us success."

I'm welcome to close the Scene if you are. Thanks for making it so fun!

Status
    (Acknowledged)
    Albert Baker

(Drink)Vitae 1 Spent
    PRE

Reacting on Conners smile with one ofhis own, Al nodded.

"Good."

The smile extended while he took the glass and raised it, repeating the toast.

"To the clan, prosperity and success."

Though there still was the elephant in the room how best to announce this promotion and more importantly what to do if Quinn should return... But that were matters to be dealt with when they occurred.

OOC

15. Likes liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread