Gerrit had just accompanied his date to her home. The two of them stood outside a decent apartment-building, a petite wallflower and a beaten-up Ogre wearing the mask of a gentleman. "That was nice. Uh, thank you for the wonderful evening."

What started as stumbling over words and careful flirting at some point grew until they've exchanged numbers and went on a few dates. Tonight had been their third. "Thank you. I had a great time. But I think I'll have to call it a night.." "A-all right. See you around then?" "Of course, I would love to."
He leaned down a little and gave her a bashful peck on the cheek. They hadn't exchanged any intimacies beyond that - Barbara liked to take it slow. And Gerrit? Gerrit really didn't care. He was not really interested in her as a woman and if he didn't have to fake attraction it was all the better. So when he said good-bye and started walking home he used the mild evening to decompress and sort his thoughts.

Why was he doing this, playing with someone else's feelings? He was a good guy, wasn't he? She is too trusting. I am not hurting her. No, he wasn't.. yet. Frankly, some part of him liked being close with someone, even if his heart wasn't in it. Maybe even because his heart wasn't in it. He could feel appreciated, wanted, and there was no risk of getting hurt this time. In fact, I might be doing her a favour in the long run.

Barbara was lonely, she had been single all of her life - she had been focusing on her career as editor-in-chief of a not very remarkable local newspaper. Her deeply buried Sorrow had tasted like bitter-sweet blueberries when she told Gerrit about that.
Gerrit was a good listener and learned pretty quickly what Barbara wanted - needed - to hear. So apart from the Glamour the Winter also gained the feeling to be needed.. and frankly a sense of power he has never felt before. But I won't go out of my way to hurt her. I won't.

And by the time he arrived at home he had pretty much convinced himself of that fact.