Free Council Feast and Chat

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    Apollo
    Striking Looks
    (Yes, they are muscles)
    Apollo

Nimbus: Plants seem to take a deep breath in around him (No physical signs just a feeling)
    (Wi) Paying Respects

Wi Paying Respects

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor: 0
    Defense: 2

Vulgar: 0
    Active Spells: 0/5
    Personal Spells: 0/3

No Active Spells

Equipment: Smartphone, Wallet (Debit card, credit card, bus ticket, $50 cash), keys, pen, small notebook, bottle of water, 3 X Protein Bars, 2 x Chocolate Bars, 1 X Can of Coke, Backpack,

Copper Necklace with wooden pendant (Magical Tool)
    Tactical Knife (2L)
    Punching D
    (Matriarch) I spy

(Matriarch) I Spy

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:

Active Spells: 1/5
    Personal Spells: 1/3

Spirit Tongue

Equipment: Smartphone, Wallet (Debit card, credit card, $50 cash), keys, pen, notebook, bottle of water, 2 X Protein Bars, 1 X Can of Coke, Large Army Backpack (LAB),

Tactical Knife (2L)
    Long Sword (3L - LAB)

+1
    SL
    PRE

"I am also an apprentice of Spirit. The spirit realm is a beautiful yet alien place. It takes a while to understand it fully and even then I don't think even a master understands the spirit realm fully." Apollo paused for a moment "I have never come across a non thyrsus who decided to learn Spirit." he pondered that statement for a moment. It wasn't a big secret, in his short experience he had not found many who wanted to learn it.

"I want to ask about the Angel, Hentai demon and gorilla thing but I guess that may be a story for another day and when discussing spirits or the spirit world Vodka IS mandatory." Apollo took a sip of his wine.

He smiled at Puck "So, the Free Council. I will admit, I know very little. I met a guy once who was a minuteman, I will admit I spent 3 weeks thinking he took the minutes at meetings." His eyes widened for a couple of seconds "I was wrong. But, before we beign am I okay to call you Puck or do you prefer Councillor Puck, Councillor?"
    Apollo
    "I choose to live by choice, not by chance."
    Current Effects: See In Scene

2. Likes liked this post
    Public Effects
    Alt Identity
    (Allegra Cole)
    Presence
    (Assertive)
    Striking Looks
    (Playful)
    Moira

Nimbus

From the ground mists rise, billowing thickly, and a thousand ethereal voices chorus eerily, sounding far away, the seasons spring to life going through time rapidly from verdant spring, to scorching summer, and the first leaves of Autumn, and the deep silent cold of winter.
    Stats

+1
    SL
    PRE

Moira grinned slightly at Apollo's answer. Bad bitches link up? She thought so! She accepted her hot chamomile tea gratefully. She drank it plain. She didn't move to put any sugar or honey in it. I mean, fuck, she didn't need it. She was energetic enough. "Maybe when I'm actually ready to do a show with my paintings, you could also get in on that action? Metal sculpture and Painting show sounds awesome!" It didn't take much to get Moira excited. There it was! Her hands curled around the cup, warming them. The heat radiating through her palms and pooling comfortably in her stomach.

She listened to them talk about the Spirit Arcana with interest. It wasn't something she had any experience with, but she enjoyed hearing about it anyway. Wasn't bad to know how strong in spirit the two were either. She blew gently on the tea with a bit of Cheshire cat grin.

She looked to Puck to see how he would respond to that question. She knew the proper answer, or the answer the Ladders of her last city would have responded, but Puck was Free Council. "I have to admit, there were no Free Council in my last city. If the Ladder population didn't scare them off, the others did." The 'others' namely being fucking Roman.

4. Likes , Matt liked this post

Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Snarky)
    Puck

Nimbus

Winds blow around the mage, varying in intensity depending on the spell and parting abruptly after.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Puck nods in agreement.

"Power isn't understanding. Knowing the difference is a pretty big deal."

He chuckles as the others speak. Apollo was honest and kinda funny, and it seemed both Moira and the shaman had a knack for the creative arts. Puck could barely draw a stick figure, but you don't make in journalism without knowing how to express yourself with the written word.

"Minutemen are part of the column, the militant aspect of the Assembly. You could probably think of them as the guerilla fighters to the Arrows formal soldiering traditions."

The Enchanter sips a bit more as he ponders continuing.

"Puck is fine outside formal gatherings. I'm just a regular voter in the assembly and we don't really have the numbers to make syndics and strategoi necessary. So where do you guys want me to start about the Council of Free Assemblies? General overview? Order philosophy? Personal hot takes? Most Libertines are open books unless they're currently working on something so I'm open on where to start."

6. Likes liked this post
    Apollo
    Striking Looks
    (Yes, they are muscles)
    Apollo

Nimbus: Plants seem to take a deep breath in around him (No physical signs just a feeling)
    (Wi) Paying Respects

Wi Paying Respects

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:

No Active Spells

Equipment: Smartphone, Wallet (Debit card, credit card, bus ticket, $50 cash), keys, pen, small notebook, bottle of water, 3 X Protein Bars, 2 x Chocolate Bars, 1 X Can of Coke, Backpack,

Tactical Knife (2L)
    Punching D
    (Matriarch) I spy

(Matriarch) I Spy

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:

Spirit Tongue

Equipment: Smartphone, Wallet (Debit card, credit card, $50 cash), keys, pen, notebook, bottle of water, 2 X Protein Bars, 1 X Can of Coke, Large Army Backpack (LAB),

Tactical Knife (2L)
    Long Sword (3L - LAB)

+1
    SL
    PRE

Apollo Grinned at Moira "Ohh now that would be fun! We would need to collaborate to make sure everything fits, maybe see if we can work on a joint piece or two."

He turned back to Puck, looking him in the eyes as he spoke "General Overview and Order Philosophy sounds good to me." Apollo took a sip of his wine, being extra careful with his wine glass. Half wondering if he looked as ridiculous as he did with a proper tea cup.

He no doubt would have questions, lots of questions. But for now he would stop and let Moira add anything she needed from Pucks sales pitch. I hope Moira does not want the history part, I can be bored with that part when if and when I join. Although, Puck could read the phone book to me and Id still appreciate it.
    Apollo

8. Likes liked this post
    Public Effects
    Alt Identity
    (Allegra Cole)
    Presence
    (Assertive)
    Striking Looks
    (Playful)
    Moira

Nimbus

From the ground mists rise, billowing thickly, and a thousand ethereal voices chorus eerily, sounding far away, the seasons spring to life going through time rapidly from verdant spring, to scorching summer, and the first leaves of Autumn, and the deep silent cold of winter.
    Stats

+1
    SL
    PRE

Moira considered Puck's words carefully. Where to start? She understood the history. Or at least the history the Diamond liked to espouse anyway. She had never really pressed further because there hadn't been any Free Council to ask, and the Ladders kinda got pissy about it. Time had certainly come full circle now, hadn't it?

"I concur with Apollo. Overview, philosophy, and I want to hear not a hot take, but how you see yourself contributing to your Order in Sacramento."

She grinned at Apollo and nodded once. That was a plan. The words spoken and out now. She had wondered how she would find common ground with the giant. How to look beyond his imposing physique to the magus and man he actually was and not what her lizard brain screamed at her. They both had made art their life. It was always more than money. That's what people didn't get. She was driven to create.

Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Snarky)
    Puck

Nimbus

Winds blow around the mage, varying in intensity depending on the spell and parting abruptly after.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Deep drinks. Or was it breathes? Nah, for this it's drinks.

"Very broadly the Council of Free Assemblies was founded in explicit opposition to the Seers of the Throne. The core of our identity as an order is our constant fight against the followers of the exarchs in every avenue of every field of thought, expression, and profession. We have three tenets in this conflict. First, democracy seeks the truth, hierarchy fosters the Lie. Second, humanity is magical, human works have arcane secrets. Finally, Destroy the followers of the lie."

"The first is the one libertines are known for. For us, the top down authority is itself anathema to the Truth. Through open dialogue and collective decision making the assembly finds it's way to the truth. Our freedom to bicker and learn and grow guides us. It's the foundation of the Assembly, where syndics lead debates to inform voters on the best path forward for the collective. It also makes sure that open access to magic keeps artifacts and magical knowledge from disappearing into ruined athenaea."

Another deep breathe drink.

"Second is humanity is magical. The Assembly recognizes that regardless of whether a soul was awakened, humanity is the source of magic. Awakening is our birthright, and even sleeping souls have the ability to change the world in their attempts to grasp at the truth. The soul claws at it's prison, and those who escape awaken. Those who don't still try, and most Libertines would argue that the technology boom since the emergence of democracy is truth that the soul yearns for the truth. It demands it's freedom from the hold the abyss has on it."

"Destroy the followers of the lie sounds the most self evident, but it's not that easy. If you just go around killing people most Libertines will take you down a peg pretty quick. It's our explicit rejection of the seers, but it's also a bit more nuanced. Making the executive decision someone has to die is against our beliefs, but even trying to force them into a court room establishes a hierarchy wherein one can be judged by a group not made of peers. Personally, this is one of the reasons I stayed in journalism, and why I think creative types like yourselves have a natural fit to the assembly. That's a hot take though."

Deep drink, because while this guy likes talking it's a bit different when you talk about yourself.

"I view myself as a sound board. I create the background your ideas bounce off of so others can see if they are valid or nonsensical." See Concilium. "I say the things I think you need to hear, and I hope that that open dialogue is enough to inspire people to move forward with a reasonable consensus. I say reasonable not in a sense of one I agree with, but one based on facts and good faith. I think at least one of you is aware of the type of bad faith arguments and detachment from reality I'm concerned about."

His attention lingers on Moira. She was at concilium, and she got called into the conversation Puck took his position on the council to steer away from. He hoped Apollo shared his concerns, though he was curious what natural conclusions the Shaman would draw without an explicit guide.

11. Likes Aeolus, liked this post
    Apollo
    Striking Looks
    (Yes, they are muscles)
    Apollo

(Wi) Paying Respects

Wi Paying Respects

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:

No Active Spells

Tactical Knife (2L)
    Punching D
    (Matriarch) I spy

(Matriarch) I Spy

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:

Spirit Tongue

Tactical Knife (2L)
    Long Sword (3L - LAB)

+1
    SL
    PRE

Apollo watched and listened carefully as Puck spoke, watching each drink Puck took. I bet he is wishing he had chosen the Vodka now. Still each drink had given him the opportunity to think about each point.

"I would be one of those that took offence to people that just went round killing. Life is precious, its a beautiful thing and just ending that for anyone is the last option anyone should ever take. I have met mages who treat life like its something they can snub out. I don't know how they sleep at night."

"I think the term for you is Devils Advocate, which is not a bad thing. It helps to provoke discussion and dialogue and points out ideals that are dangerous."

Apollo looked at his watch. "I am just going to get the food out, should be done now. I am still listening though." He smiled at Puck and Moira "Hope you are both hungry!" and he quickly made his way into the kitchen.
    Apollo

13. Likes Aeolus, liked this post
    Public Effects
    Alt Identity
    (Allegra Cole)
    Presence
    (Assertive)
    Striking Looks
    (Playful)
    Moira

Nimbus

Stats

+1
    SL
    PRE

Moira listened to Puck's overview and nodded a bit. That explained a lot. A lot more than the old chestnut of the free council being petulant children who couldn't stand any authority other than their own. Which was pretty much the party line. Or upstarts, and not worthy of the same recognition as the Diamond orders, even though they recognize them as a part of the Pentacle. Which had always been a stone thrown to far to Moira. If they were good enough for the Pentacle and be recognized in Consillium then they were good enough period.

"You don't feel that hierarchy can keep things moving, whereas democracy can gridlock? I mean, I can't say I don't like the idea of it, but in practice, is it practical for us?" She had never been under anything else, so she didn't have the practical experience. "How does it work if there is a tie?" She spread her hands with an impish grin. Even as she gave him a little bit of shit, her body language was open, not in the least bit defensive.

She sipped her tea, watching her fellow Enchanter before her gaze flipped over to their host Apollo. Spoken by someone who could heal bodies she understood his perspective, but she didn't agree with it. Not wholly. "I agree with the idea of death being the last resort, but I've been in situations where nothing short of death would stop their zealotry. I don't feel guilty for my part in those deaths." Not even a little bit.

Her gaze moved back to Puck, and she nodded slowly with a soft sigh. "Yeah. I was surprised he still tried to mount the argument about whether or not the witnesses were considered sleepers or not even after you explained the differences in control a spirit can have over them, and a pretty flippant attitude for the Lex, but I said my piece in Consillium." She didn't feel the need to repeat herself here.

"I'm hungry, so I didn't want any wine on an empty stomach." Not that that had ever been a priority for her before, but you know, trying new things and all. Shitty patterns of behavior should be challenged at every turn. Right? Right? Or was she just going from one extreme to the other? "So make sure I have a glass Apollo. I'm not about to get stuck being the designated driver!" She laughed good naturedly.

15. Likes Aeolus liked this post

Presence
    Striking Looks
    (Snarky)
    Puck

Nimbus

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Same."

Puck nodded in affirmation to Apollo's statement on not wanting to kill. Though Moira's interest in sneaking and knives was becoming more troubling. At least she agreed it was a last resort, and Puck would never argue with more minutemen. As for devil's advocates?

"That's the term!" Apollo got the words that were dancing on the tip of Puck's mind but just couldn't find their way out. "I couldn't for the life of me remember what it was called."

As Apollo went to get food, Puck once again nods in the affirmative. Puck and food? Like two... things... that are mixxy? Today was not Puck's day for terminology apparently. Always start with the wine so you can blame that instead of your age and memory.

"So in the assembly when it's needed we can appoint what's called a strategos. Someone with the authority to make orders and take charge. It's always for a set term and with strict conditions and oversight. The big thing is to recognize that authority is anathema to the free exploration of magic. It might occasionally be a necessary evil, but it should always be recognized as an evil. As for a tie, it'd be up to the assembly to sort out at that time."

Truth be told? Puck just tried to trump up an emeritus charge to find some small way of giving Anima what he deserved. It was the last time a second Libertine walked the Circle, and the only tie Puck had to personally contend with.

As the conversation turned to Concilium, Puck once again nodded yes. Like Moira, Puck didn't see the value in rehashing the particulars. He was admittedly curious about Apollo's take, but he wasn't here for his curiosity. He was here for lasagna.

"So thoughts? Further questions? Anything pique your interest?"

Eyes bounce between Moira and the doorway Apollo had departed through.

17. Likes Aeolus, liked this post
    Apollo
    Striking Looks
    (Yes, they are muscles)
    Apollo

(Wi) Paying Respects

Wi Paying Respects

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:

No Active Spells

Tactical Knife (2L)
    Punching D
    (Matriarch) I spy

(Matriarch) I Spy

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:

Spirit Tongue

Tactical Knife (2L)
    Long Sword (3L - LAB)

+1
    SL
    PRE

Whilst Moira asked her question and Puck responded Apollo had been in and out of the kitchen putting plates, cutlery and wine on the table along with a glass for Moira. It was not one of those formal affairs with 16 different forks for different things. It was clear his methods for a dinner party were family style. He listened as Moira asked her question, he smiled to himself Moira, asking the good questions I see.

As Puck looked towards the door Apollo appeared holding a ridiculously large dish that held enough lasagne to feed most third world nations the group of assembled mages for the next 2 days.

He placed the dish on the table and smiled at Moira and Puck. "Dinner is served, hope you like it. It is my grandma's recipe"

Apollo waited for Moira and Puck to join him, pouring Moira a glass of wine. "Please help yourself" He grabbed a plate and some cutlery from the middle and started to serve himself up a huge plate of lasagne, garlic bread and salad. There was no shame when it came to the portion size.

"I have one very serious question" he grinned at Puck "Where do I sign up?" He paused for a moment "Honestly, It was between the Free Council, Arrow and Mysterium. However after the last meeting I do not need to speak to either of them about joining." He paused

"Between the three of us... I am sure Pheonyx is a lovely lady, but she's the lead arrow and a councillor and ought to know better. I could go into detail but the short story is at this time I would not want to take orders from someone who can't follow them herself." He paused "As for the Mysterium, I originally was not sure I would meet their intelligence criteria. Then corn spoke, but at this point I am not sure if he was a reflection of the Mysterium or they just let the Village Idiot keep talking. Either way, I want to be as far away from Adolf and his plans of Eugenics as possible. He never made a good impression when I showed up at the Circle anyhow."

He took a bite of his Lasagne, chewing and swallowing before he continued. "Sorry, that was an overshare"

"I also don't want you to think the Free Council is because I have no choice... because that is not the case" He realised he was maybe digging himself a hole. "I don't believe the current consiium structure works. Absolute Power corrupts absolutely and we have seen a small taste of that recently. Humanity is magical... yes 100% yes. This is part of the reasons I take issues with Magical Eugenics. Finally destroy followers of the lie. I think we should always find ways to help open humanity's eyes and not all followers are complicit or aware of their actions and this gives us the chance to try and enact change. In some cases, such as seers... there is no option for them they are lost and we have to send them to Hades."

Apollo Blushed "Sorry, I just kind of spilled all that out"
    Apollo

19. Likes Aeolus, liked this post
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread