It had been a month since William had crawled out of the dirt one warm summer evening. The well had been covered and houses had been built upon it. The shocked home owner enjoying a beer in the garden that evening? Well his body was now rotting where William had once slept in less than peaceful torpor. His only constant was Renly. It had become apparent quiet quickly that he would need help getting up to speed and Renly was it. It wasn’t the good old days but it would have to do.

William sat on the sofa, a pile of books stacked at the side and a packing box by his feet. He had started with some history books and whenever his interest had peaked more books were needed. Renly had tried to get William watching TV at least documentaries would be an option; he had perhaps tried too soon. The devil box was certainly not appreciated.

William continued to pack the books cursing the random Kindred that had been seen snooping around the village. It meant they would need to move along as quickly as possible. William looked up from packing the remaining books as he heard the front door open and close. His head turned towards the door as Renly walked in.

“Sir your carriage awaits.” He picked up the remaining box and carried it outside to the drive. Upon the drive sat a Landrover and attached to the back of it was a green tall box on wheels. Renly opened the door at the side placing the last box inside. He gave William a worried smile. “Sir, I know its not… conventional or what you were expecting. Once we have more time I can figure out a more elegant solution.” He paused, expecting some form of objection and having to move to plan b, a plan he had not formulated yet.

William walked around the box observing every inch of the object. “What is it?”

Renly smiled “Oh it’s how we are going to transport you during the day”

William knocked on the object; a hollow metallic echo ran out as he drummed his knuckles against it. “No, I mean this thing.”

“Ohhh! It’s an old horse box.” Renly said with a smile.

“A horse box! Whatever is that?” William continued to observe the box, adjusting his angel to take in every inch of it.

“It’s just a box you put a horse in.” Renlys smile disappeared, he had forgotten that this would be something new and was going to go one of three ways. William would either hate it, pick up the concept quickly or he would understand it and decide it didn’t meet his standards. The television discussion had proven that Renly struggled to make William understand something that to him was every day.

“A box in which you can place a horse. As if I would live to see such a thing!” William was excited, it sounded very interesting. It was new, and horses were essential for traveling anywhere.

“It used to be a horse box, but I have adapted it to transport you during the day.” Renly smiled so far so good he thought to himself.

“Yes yes, I understand. But a box for horses!”

“Its really not that remarkable.”

“And what is its purpose?”

“To transport you…” Inside Renly groaned, it was quickly turning into one of these discussions. He hated these, explaining to a person who went to sleep in the 1800’s the wonders of the modern world proved to be difficult at times.

“No no, the horse box. Once you have placed the horse inside the box what happens then?”

“Then you can take it places”

“But surely the horse takes you places?”

“Well for longer distances than a horse can manage.”

“So… if it’s too far for the horse to take you…you carry the horse?”

“Yes, you tow it behind a car.” Renly paused for a moment realising that William had not been introduced to Cars…yet...”Sorry… a cars a horseless carriage”

“Not entirely horseless by the sound of it….”

Renly paused, unsure of what to say next. He was already starting to get a headache, these conversations were taxing at times and tonight was no exception.

“Ohhhh can we go get a horse?”

Renly took a moment to compose himself. “Sir, sadly we cannot put a horse in there with you. I have done the work and adapted it to transport you and your belongings during the day. There is not the space to put a horse in there and ensure you are comfortable.” Renly opened the door, hoping to move on from what was clearly the wonder of a horse box. “See, I have added carpet, a book shelf a bed and a chair. It is small but it will do the job until I find a better solution for the future. I have done the best I could with such a short amount of time.

William peered inside for a few moments. He turned to Renly and frowned “Hell no. I have standards. I won’t be seen dead in that thing! It smells like desperation and poverty.” he turned and walked back inside the house.

Renly sighed… convincing William was going to be a challenge and he was in for yet another long night. He rolled his eyes and started to head back into the house. Dreaming of the day when William was up to speed and basic modern concepts didn't confuse him... "This may take a while".