Mantle (Autumn)
    (Shadows, heat and ringing metal)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK
    A shorter, barrel chested man with a thick beard.

MEIN
    A 'dwarf' with burned, scorched, and scarred skin.

PRE

Smith

Anatole ran his thick fingers through his beard.

"You know, I am not sure how extensive our defences actually are. I was under the impression that the only defended spaces are the spots each Court has taken as its own. I'm not even sure if Summer or Winter have a dedicated area for their Court. Maybe that is their role."

He made a shrug, his face turned into a frown. The conversation turned back to the renegade Autumn Queen Anne; for a moment, a sneer crept onto his face, then vanished. The frown returned, seeping slowly onto his face.

"I don't know, honestly. Maybe we've ruined enough of her plans for such a thing to work. Or maybe they think they can play up the Court affiliations that she still claims... Call her out and imply that any backsliding on her part demonstrates her fear. I have no idea if that would work. Perhaps Dread Lord Rhodes has something up his sleeve - he knows the secrets of the Ash better than me."

Anatole grunts, head bobbing.

"Yes. Agree totally. Let's keep our enemies... confined to the Hedge. And let's keep our mundane activities as widely spread out as possible. No need for all of us to be invested in the theme park, or in a criminal gang, or involved in real estate. Blend in, as you say.

2. Likes BoxingUnicorn liked this post
    Giant
    (7 feet tall; not fond of low ceilings)
    Strength
    (Lean but well-muscled)
    Spring Mantle
    (+1 to Pres/Day)
    Liam Gelt
    Mien/Mantle

Mien: Liam's skin is hardened into a bark-like armor with pine cone-like ridges throughout. His hair is made of pine needles that act a bit like a hedgehog's quills; standing up when agitated or smooth when calm. His eyes are a deep amber and his tears appear to have the consistency of sap until they leave his face.

Mantle: The scent of pine sap in a close radius, his needle-like hair ripples occasionally as if tugged by a light breeze.
    Combat Stats

Def: 2 (Dex/Wits)
    Armor: 0/0
    Initiative: 5
    Speed: 12 (w/ Fleet of Foot)

Ogre Seeming Bonus
    -Add Glam to Str pools (1 per Glam)

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Gargantuan

Liam looks up from his toast with a bit of concern. "You mean Hollows? I hadn't thought of it that way. I know our Hollows have individual wards to keep threats out." He thinks of his own Hollow; about his living Archive, Diana the dryad. "And it would make sense that we can't just throw wards around pell mell."

At the mention of Rhodes, Liam looks more reassured. "You'd know more about that than me, I guess. But Rhodes seems to have a good head on his shoulders. I'd trust him to keep an eye on people like Anne." He was a lord of Fear after all. What could be more tantalizing than the fear of an enemy. "She sounds a lot like a tunnel spider: waiting for prey to move in her grasp before she strikes." ​Liam knew animals well; both from his mundane years and from his time as a forest guardian in Arcadian. "But the thing with tunnel spiders is they have to build their nests in the way of prey animals to catch them. If she's caught out in the open..." He presses two fingers together and makes a squishing sound. "So maybe we just starve her of opportunities? But I'm probably getting ahead of myself. Anne's neither here nor there right now." The Spring Ogre is an easily contented creature. Let evil come to them...

"What kind of ventures were you involved with before coming here? Or was here your first home after...Back There?" Liam sips his tea and leans in, honestly curious to know a bit more about Anatole's past if he was willing.

4. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Mantle (Autumn)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK

MEIN

PRE

Smith

"Starve her of opportunity? Yes... That would be my preference. Seriously, how long could she hold her rag-tag Court together in the Hedge?"

Anatole nodded, answering rhetorically. He paused to sip his tea.

"Long, long before... I was involved in the law, investment and banking. I managed my family's extensive trust fund portfolio. On my return I didn't really have a profession. I tried a few things but nothing took and nothing seemed to grab me. I suppose it was because I didn't fit into the Freehold and a part of me knew I had to move on. You know how that is, yes?

"Then I moved. Or travelled, rather. Till the money ran out and I found myself stranded in this city. Found the Freehold and settled in, for want of a better term. Eventually I turned back to my old trade and have been making a name for myself as a retiree who has demonstrated a knack for investing in his old age. So far the ruse has worked."

Giant
    Strength
    (Lean but well-muscled)
    Spring Mantle
    (+1 to Pres/Day)
    Liam Gelt
    Mien/Mantle

Mien: Liam's skin is hardened into a bark-like armor with pine cone-like ridges throughout. His hair is made of pine needles that act a bit like a hedgehog's quills; standing up when agitated or smooth when calm. His eyes are a deep amber and his tears appear to have the consistency of sap until they leave his face.

Mantle: The scent of pine sap in a close radius, his needle-like hair ripples occasionally as if tugged by a light breeze.
    Combat Stats

Ogre Seeming Bonus

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Gargantuan

Liam ponders over a sip of tea. Anne has her own Court? Would other Lost be willing to work for someone so ruthless? Someone so much like...Them? He ponders, but is quickly drawn into Anatole's history.

"Yeah. I've felt that before." Liam thinks back to his first time mingling with the Lost up in Portland. ​"Though I don't think it was so much me being unwelcome as me wanting a change of scenery." He thinks back to the Freehold he first blundered into. "I got the sense that my old Freehold was very new, didn't really have a lot figured out. We survived, and stayed out of trouble, but there was too much of a focus on laying low. And..." ​He gestures to his tall, broad frame. "I'm not the best at laying low."

"So you're in the business world then? Sounds like between your current job and what you have going with Titania that you've got plenty to keep you busy."
    There's no bitterness in Liam's voice or expression here. He's genuinely happy and impressed for the Dwarf. "Doesn't it get boring? Just handling money all the time? Or are there interesting people there? Besides yourself of course."

7. Likes liked this post
    Mantle (Autumn)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK

MEIN

PRE

Smith

Anatole nods along.

"Laying low. It is what we all do at the start but there comes a point where hiding must end. I doubt even the Winter Court hides all the time. Look at Cassandra. And it is not a life if all one does is jump at shadows. Better to live. Or find some tricks of your own to beat the shadows back, I say."

He paused to think.

"Entering the business world, I guess. Not as an entrepreneur - not yet, anyway. But I am getting a reputation as a little investor who has made it big. It is not like I have fame or a vast web of contacts, or anything like that. But there are a few businessmen and investment brokers who know me, and I have gained their respect. I secretly think some of them are waiting for me to take the next step."

As Liam continued a crooked smile slithered up the side of Anatole's face.

"Its not just handling money. That will tend to itself - for good or for bad. No. No. No. There is research and study. Sometimes meeting people. Sometimes tracking down someone for a chat. And a lot of waiting. And watching lines being spun on computer software. So many lines! And no - before you ask, I haven not had to resort to our little gifts just yet. That would be... cheating."

9. Likes liked this post
    Giant
    Strength
    (Lean but well-muscled)
    Spring Mantle
    (+1 to Pres/Day)
    Liam Gelt
    Mien/Mantle

Combat Stats

Ogre Seeming Bonus

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Gargantuan

Liam nods in hearty agreement. "Exactly! We're free now. We have lives and jobs and homes again. Even if we're different people than we were before, we're still alive and well. That's got to be worth celebrating!" He chuckles. "Tricks are good. Means we avoid bloodshed more often than not." But then there was not. And Liam thinks to the venomous scar he picked up in that last fight in the Hedge.

Anatole really seems invested (no pun intended) in his corner of the world. And Liam is drawn in by the intrigue of it. "Really? I think my bartending job is a lot like that: simple surface, complicated core. You work with all kinds of people, make connections, and build repeat relationships. It's always fun to see a familiar face walk through the door." And familiar faces tended to tip more. He throws up his hands in mock-shock. ​"Hey, I'm not saying anything. I've only used my Contracts on animals, but never mundies. Though most of my Contracts just enhance myself." He looks to Anatole with a sudden burst of curiosity. "Wait...could you use Contracts on machinery? I know most of our Contracts work on plants and animals and people. But gears and digital stuff?" ​Surely that was beyond even their magic. Right. "But still, I think you'll get along just fine on your own smarts." He's also getting the idea that Anatole is a Dwarf of accomplishment: someone who wants to make sure he does things by his own grit. Liam respects that. "And it's good to have some friends in high places. Or low places. Or whatever place you find yourself in. Friends are good."

11. Likes liked this post
    Mantle (Autumn)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK

MEIN

PRE

Smith

"Bartender, eh?"

Anatole raised an eyebrow as he remembered his short stint as the Fairy Tavern's de facto barkeep, so long ago now. He pulled a friendly face and nodded along as the Gargantuan expounded his thinking.

"Yes. Building relationships. Say what they will about all of the digital and technological toys we are drowning in, it is always about relationships. That is a hidden truth, right there, my friend."

The conversation turns to Contracts and the burned dwarf begins running a hand through his impressive beard.

"Use Contracts on Machines? Why yes... You are thinking of Contracts of Artifice. Learn those secrets if you want to tweak the possible with objects and things. I don't use it much myself so my skill is limited - but I could keep a damaged device going for that extra mile. Or keep an engine running long enough to get us to safety, if it came to that. But not much more. The deeper mysteries allow one to break things with a glance, imbue items with perfection and in some cases, build things from scrap and pure tenacious will."

He cast a beady eye across the table.

"Nothing magical or wondrous though, such things are reserved for other disciplines."

He nodded again.

"Friends are good."

13. Likes liked this post
    Giant
    Strength
    (Lean but well-muscled)
    Spring Mantle
    (+1 to Pres/Day)
    Liam Gelt
    Mien/Mantle

Combat Stats

Ogre Seeming Bonus

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Gargantuan

Liam screws his face up into a contemplative scowl. "Contracts of Artifice? Sounds a little bit like how Stone molds the body, but with tech. I can see that. Sounds useful in a pinch." Anatole seems to have a good grasp of how these Contracts can be used practically. "Especially with all the tech that's a part of our day-to-day lives. I've been thinking about expanding my Contract knowledge at some point. Sonnie's taught me about some Beast Contracts already. Maybe I'll pick up some tinkering..."

There's a buzz, and Liam holds up a hand.
    "Whoops! Pardon me." He pulls out his phone and checks the lock screen. He nods; puts it pack. "Looks like I'm needed to cover another shift at work. Tonight's bar tender came down sick something awful." Another fun perk of Ogre physiology: more resilient to disease. Liam rises from the table and holds an arm out for Anatole, smiling. ​"Thanks for having me, Anatole. Here's to more successful ventures down the road for you."

I'm ready to close if you are. Thanks for such a fun Scene!

Mantle (Autumn)
    New Identity
    (Anatole Kolowksi)
    Strong Back
    Resources
    Anatole

MASK

MEIN

PRE

Smith

"Eh. Contracts are something I need to invest in myself. Have a few and I've got myself an in-depth knowledge, but I've never applied myself to learning the clauses and so on."

The dwarf had been pouring himself another tea when Ogre prepared to leave. He nodded.

"My pleasure. Thank you for the preserves. All the best then. We will talk later."

Anatole was already eyeing what was left of the preserves.

No worries. Great scene and hope we can do another sometime

16. Likes liked this post
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread